Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Xeogred Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:21 pm

So which Turok do you like most Popo?

Hoping that awesome reboot gets an HD remaster?

PartridgeSenpai wrote:Verdict: Recommended. If you like collectathon 3D platformers, you'll probably enjoy DK64. It's not the best on the system by any means, but it's still a good game. Kong switching isn't the most fluid or well implemented thing in the world, but DK64 certainly flows and feels better than a really tedious cluster-fuck like Earthworm Jim 3D.

Good lord... I forget Earthworm Jim 3D exists. Never played it but it doesn't sound like I need to.

I never played much of Conquers Bad Fur Day either and I hear the 360 remaster actually censored and downgraded some stuff?
Damm64
Next-Gen

by Damm64 Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:51 pm

Xeogred wrote:I never played much of Conquers Bad Fur Day either and I hear the 360 remaster actually censored and downgraded some stuff?

The remake is on the original xbox and yes it was actually censored and altereded in various sections. The most notable being the the great mighty poo song was censored with fart noises while the N64 version has none of that. Could never beat it, they broke one section of the game where you have to race while surfing on lava, on the remake if you hit anything,lets say a tiny part of a wall, while you are pressing the boost speed you will die, in the N64 version you could take a few hits while going at high speed.
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.

MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:28 pm

Xeogred wrote:So which Turok do you like most Popo?

Well, I've only played the two Night Dive remasters, but I think Turok 2 ends up feeling slightly better in the end. Turok 2 I never died to an enemy, just to pits, whereas Turok 1 had several portions of egregiously high damage enemies that were impossible to dodge the damage on. I also thought the weaponry in Turok 2 was overall more useful (and the cerebral bore never gets old). But I think Turok 1 had better level lengths and none of the levels felt like a drag to play. Turok 2 had better level aesthetic designs but some had crappy gameplay design.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:29 pm

Turok Evolution was great I sunk many hours into the PS2 version as a kid. Game had some ultraviolence with the dismemberment and I may have spent way to much time hacking/shooting the limbs off things :lol: . Only thing I didn't care for was the flying sections which were passable but not that fun after a while.

The reboot Turok on the 360/PS3/PC on the other hand felt like generic FPS garbage and as much as I wanted to like it I've only made it 2-3 levels in each time I've started it.
Markies
128-bit

by Markies Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:29 pm

1. Phantasy Star II (GEN)
2. Guitar Hero (PS2)
3. Adventures of Lolo (NES)
4. Animal Crossing (GCN)
5. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
6. Beyond The Beyond (PS1)
7. R.B.I. Baseball (NES)
8. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (PS1)
9. GoldenEye: Rogue Agent (GCN)
10. Project Gotham Racing (XBOX)

11. Ristar (GEN)

I completed Ristar on the Sega Gensis this evening.

When it comes to the Genesis, I grew up with Sonic 2. That was the game I got with the system and the one I remember the most. However, it took me decades to finally beat that damn game. With nostalgia in my eyes, I still held Sonic 2 in such a high esteem along with the Sonic Team. I also realized that they could be very mean and unforgiving when it comes to their games.

With Ristar, you get the good and the bad from them. It was developed by the Sonic Team after all of the Sonic games had been released on the Genesis. Ristar has all the same tropes that you expect from a Sonic Team game on the Genesis. The music is top notch. The game is split into chapters with two levels per chapter and a boss at the end of each chapter. The music is fantastic and the game is very innovative.

However, you get all of the bad stuff as well. The final boss is incredibly infuriating. Your character feels weak at points in the game and the controls can be a bit stiff.

But, the frustrating parts only hamper the game. The endearing and enjoyable parts far outweigh the bad. I love the little touches in the game like Ristar doing things for each level if you don't move him for a while. For example, he builds a snowman in the snow level and snaps his fingers in the music level. The game is full of charm and is incredibly cute.

Overall, besides some gripes, Ristar is an enjoyable experience. If you enjoy Sonic games or unique platformers, Ristar is worth a try. It is enjoyable, colorful and has a very unique premise to him.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:09 pm

I love Ristar. Definitely one of my favorite Genesis platformers, and I like it more than the series that it shares DNA with.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:14 pm

I found Ristar equally charming and frustrating.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:11 am

Markies wrote:Ristar is an enjoyable experience.

If you're in the mood for more Ristar, the Game Gear version possesses different level design and gameplay mechanics. It's not just a watered down port.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Kuruwin
32-bit

by Kuruwin Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:23 am

Damm64 wrote:
Xeogred wrote:I never played much of Conquers Bad Fur Day either and I hear the 360 remaster actually censored and downgraded some stuff?

The remake is on the original xbox and yes it was actually censored and altereded in various sections. The most notable being the the great mighty poo song was censored with fart noises while the N64 version has none of that. Could never beat it, they broke one section of the game where you have to race while surfing on lava, on the remake if you hit anything,lets say a tiny part of a wall, while you are pressing the boost speed you will die, in the N64 version you could take a few hits while going at high speed.

Interesting. I fucking loathed that section and it's on par with the racing section on Mafia 1. Must have taken like 30 tries until i was finally able to get through with it.
Markies
128-bit

by Markies Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:10 am

Exhuminator wrote:
Markies wrote:Ristar is an enjoyable experience.

If you're in the mood for more Ristar, the Game Gear version possesses different level design and gameplay mechanics. It's not just a watered down port.

I saw that! I saw that the game is a little bit different than the original, though some of the level designs where very similar. I don't have a Game Gear or a way to play Game Gear games, but that looked really unique.

noiseredux wrote:I found Ristar equally charming and frustrating.

Sarge wrote:I love Ristar. Definitely one of my favorite Genesis platformers, and I like it more than the series that it shares DNA with.

It does have its frustrating moments, I will give you that. Especially during the end of the game as the final boss can be quite brutal, but there are other times when your character feels rather weak because of his one attack.

Overall, I think the charm outweighed the frustration. It is a unique title that is still enjoyable to play. It is a good and unique platformer for its day.
Return to General Gaming