Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by alienjesus »

Next they'll have hedgehogs breaking the sound barrier or some shit
Juan Aguacate
24-bit

Post by Juan Aguacate »

99Vidas - PS4

So I made a thread for this game that no one cared about. Probably for the best, as I'm rather disappointed with it. The game is cheap, unfair, and unbalanced. It's basically a quarter muncher. Now, I don't know why people design beat 'em ups this way in 2017. You already got your money for the game, it's not like it's literally sitting in an arcade and you need people to pump a quarter into it every 30 seconds. At least in a game like Scott Pilgrim, you can circumvent how cheap that game is by leveling up and improving your stats. Unfortunately, the upgrade system in 99Vidas is a joke. There's barely any difference between a fresh character and a fully upgraded one. If you're trying for the platinum, you'll have to play this game on the higher difficulties and you'll need to farm LOTS of lives in the bonus stages in order to overcome the colossal cheese fest that is this game on hard and elite difficulty. I guess in that way it lives up to its name

I can't recommend something like this when there are other beat 'em ups on PSN/XBLA that aren't cheap as hell like Viking Squad. Even the Dishwasher Samurai games on Xbox, while very difficult, were FAIR.

I hate quarter muncher beat'em ups. Some of the most highly regarded beat 'em ups are ones that never had to be cheap and rigged against you, games like Turtles in Time and Ninja Warriors on the SNES, and Streets of Rage 2 (at least until you got to the elevator stage, at which point SOR2 gives you the finger).

99Vidas doesn't bring anything new to the table either. It plays like the original Final Fight, and you have a magic attack that is basically the cop car from the original Streets of Rage. That's it. Pretty bare bones, standard issue beat 'em up

At least the game is aesthetically pleasing with a great art style that probably will draw some comparisons to Scott Pilgrim. The music is great too, though a lot of the tracks sound so similar to the music in the Streets of Rage games I feel like someone could sue these people. I don't even know if I should praise the game for its music when it sounds like they are stealing songs from Yuzo Koshiro.

Overall, a mediocre beat 'em up.

Meh, I wish there were more GREAT, indie beat 'em ups coming out these days. With trash like 99Vidas, it's no wonder the genre seems practically dead.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2017 So Far - 71
* denotes a replay

January (10 Games Beaten)
1. Persona 4 Arena - Playstation 3 - January 1
2. Chrono Trigger - SNES - January 7
3. Ys: The Vanished Omens - Master System - January 8
4. MUSHA - Genesis - January 10
5. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below - PlayStation 4 - January 11
6. Ys I - TurboGrafx-CD - January 13
7. Ys II - TurboGrafx-CD - January 14
8. Dragon Quest Builders - PlayStation 4 - January 23
9. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. School Girl/Zombie Hunter - PlayStation 4 - January 29

February (12 Games Beaten)
11. Fire Emblem Heroes - Android - February 3
12. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - Wii U - February 5
13. Dante's Inferno - PlayStation 3 - February 7
14. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - DS - February 11
15. Persona 4: Dancing All Night - Vita - February 12
16. Sniper Elite 4 - PlayStation 4 - February 17
17. Pony Quest - NES - February 19
18. Halo Wars 2 - Xbox One - February 22
19. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - PlayStation Portable - February 24
20. Hotline Miami - PlayStation 4 - February 26
21. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - Famicom - February 27
22. Bad Dudes - NES - February 28

March (6 Games Beaten)
23. Root Letter - PlayStation 4 - March 2
24. Vroom in the Night Sky - Switch - March 10
25. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch - March 17
26. Super Bomberman R - Switch - March 18
27. Super Mario Run - Android - March 24
28. I Am Setsuna - Switch - March 24

April (9 Games Beaten)
29. Mass Effect: Andromeda - PlayStation 4 - April 1
30. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army - PlayStation 4 - April 2
31. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2 - PlayStation 4 - April 2
32. New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers - Switch - April 3
33. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 3 - PlayStation 4 - April 4
34. Persona 5 - PlayStation 4 - April 17
35. Alienation - PlayStation 4 - April 18
36. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - PlayStation 4 - April 23
37. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - PlayStation 4 - April 29

May (14 Games Beaten)
38. Puyo Puyo Tetris - Switch - May 4
39. Fire Emblem Gaiden - Famicom - May 6
40. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Switch - May 6
41. Outlast II - PlayStation 4 - May 7
42. Dishonored - PlayStation 4 - May 10
43. Snipperclips: Cut it Out, Together! - Switch - May 12
44. Pikmin - Gamecube - May 12
45. Metal Slug - Neo Geo MVS - May 13*
46. Dariusburst CS: Chronicle Savior - PlayStation 4 - May 14
47. Batman: The TellTale Series - PlayStation 4 - May 17
48. Batman: Arkham VR - PlayStation 4 - May 18
49. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - 3DS - May 25
50. Farpoint - PlayStation 4 - May 27
51. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Xbox 360 - May 29

June (10 Games Beaten)
52. Star Trek: Bridge Crew - PlayStation 4 - June 2
53. The Walking Dead: A New Frontier - PlayStation 4 - June 3
54. Rebel Galaxy - PC - June 18
55. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II - Vita - June 20
56. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - PC - June 21*
57. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Spearhead - PC - June 21
58. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Breakthrough - PC - June 22
59. Aliens Versus Predator - PC - June 23
60. Army Men - PC - June 24*
61. Apartment 666 - PC - June 26

July (10 Game Beaten)
62. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist - Genesis - July 12*
63. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Hearts of Stone - PlayStation 4 - July 15
64. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine - PlayStation 4 - July 22
65. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - PlayStation 4 - July 24
66. Splatoon 2 - Switch - July 25
67. Kamiko - Switch - July 25
68. Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge - Xbox - July 26
69. Panzer Dragoon - Saturn - July 27*
70. Snake Pass - Switch - July 27
71. Buck Bumble - Nintendo 64 - July 28*

71. Buck Bumble - Nintendo 64 - July 28*

Buck Bumble is a game that is near and dear to my heart for reasons that are 90% nostalgia.  The Nintendo 64 was the big system of my childhood, and growing up, I had a real fascination with this game.  I'm not sure if it was the third person shooter gameplay - a genre for which I still have a great fondness - or the KILLER 1990s British garage rock soundtrack, but for whatever reason, this game was my shit as a 9 year old.  Is the game really a fantastic gem of Nintendo's 64-bit powerhouse, or are my fond memories just my view through nearly 20 years of nostalgia glasses?

So let's start with the premise.  The game takes place in 2010 in England where a chemical spill has turned all of the bugs (except the heroic Buck Bumble) into crazy evil bugs that are part of the dastardly Herd (why they didn't call it the Swarm, I don't know, but whatever).  You play through 19 levels, and while the game is a third person shooter and very much has the feel of one, since you're a flying bumblebee, it's really not much of a stretch to think of it as a flight combat game albeit a rather clunky one.  You have you move and fight in all three dimensions, you some of the same aerial maneuvers that you'd expect to see in a flight sim, and fighting some of the enemy wasps can feel like a fighter jet dogfight.  It's certainly not got the speed or intensity of, say, Crimson Skies, but it's worth noting.

Releasing in 1998, Buck Bumble came out right in the middle of the Nintendo 64's lifespan, and the developer - Argonaut Games - was no stranger to working with Nintendo as any SNES fans will know.  With those two things in mind, then, Buck Bumble's visuals and performance can feel pretty disappointing.  The graphics certainly aren't bad for the time, but the fairly low resolution textures and EXTREMELY limited draw distance (even for England, this fog is ridiculous) do take their toll on the game's visuals.  Also leaving some to be desired is the game's performance; the frame rate sits around 15 fps for the majority of the game.  Sometimes it goes up towards 30, sometimes it goes down towards 10, but in general, it stays around 15 relatively consistently.  The bright side - if there is a bright side - is that the dips and spikes are infrequent enough that it's fairly easy to get adjusted to the low frame rate.

The last of my complaints with the game are the controls.  They're fairly simple to get the hang of; A accelerates you, B slows you, Z fires your weapon, R does a sort of circular back flip thing, the D pad cycles through your weapons, and the control stick moves your character.  The part of the controls that I didn't much care for was the sensitivity.  The control stick can be very sensitive, and it's difficult to hover in place for long, making aiming extremely difficult, especially when you're being attacked.  This can lead to a lot of wasted ammo as you fly around trying to the hang of the aiming.  Eventually, you will get a feel for it, but it will take a fair bit of time and practice.  What DOESN'T suck, however, is the game's music.  That opening theme is legit the hottest track of 1998.  The whole soundtrack is superb, and while NOTHING could be as awesome as that main theme, the background music for the game is fantastic and keeps the energy up throughout the game.  Honestly, the game's worth putting in your N64 and just leaving on the title screen for mood setting.  Throw a killer rave or get drunk and have a shitty dance party.  This game's soundtrack is perfect.

Having revisited 9-year-old ElkinFencer's favorite Nintendo 64 game as a 25-year-old, it's clear that a lot of my fondness for it is, indeed, nostalgia, but not all of it is.  The music is actually BETTER than I remembered, and while the game doesn't look nearly as impressive as I remembered, the gameplay holds up fairly well.  Yeah, it's not the best performing game on the system in terms of framerate, and the aiming and control definitely takes a bit of practice, but once you do get a feel for those flaws and learn to compensate for them, it's still a really fun game.  As of this posting, it goes for about $10 or $12 online, and I'd definitely say it's worth that much.  Screw Bubsy; let's get an HD reboot of Buck Bumble.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

1. Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour (PC)
2. Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter* (PC)
3. Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter (PC)
4. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (PC)
5. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (PC)
6. Deadcore (PC)
7. Yakuza 4 (PS3)
8. Hyper Light Drifter (PC)
9. Doom 2: Valiant (PC)
10. Resident Evil 7 (PS4)
10. Doom 2: Ancient Aliens (PC)
11. Doom 2: Vanguard (PC)
12. Doom 2: Doom 2 The Way id Did (PC)
13. Doom 2: Community Chest Pack 4 (PC)
14. Doom: Doom The Way id Did (PC)
15. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 (PC)
16. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 (PC)
17. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (WiiU)
18. Dishonored 2 (PC)
19. Kirby's Dream Land (GB)
20. Kirby's Dream Land 2 (GB)
21. Super Mario Land (GB)
22. Super Mario Land 2 (GB)
23. Mighty Final Fight (NES)
24. Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES)
25. Trip World (GB)
26. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (Genesis)
27. Aladdin (Genesis)
28. Streets of Rage (SMS)
29. Bare Knuckle (Genesis)
30. Bare Knuckle 2* (Genesis)
31. Bare Knuckle 3* (Genesis)
32. Marchen Adventure Cotton 100% (SNES)
33. Earthworm Jim* (Sega CD)
34. Ghouls'n Ghosts (Genesis)
35. Contra (NES)
36. Super C (NES)
37. Final Fight 2* (SNES)
38. Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES)
39. Final Fight 3* (SNES)
40. Operation C (GB)
41. Contra Hard Corps [End B] (Genesis)
42. Mega Turrican (Genesis)
43. Prey (PC)
44. Dark Souls 3 DLC: Ashes of Ariandel & The Ringed City (PS4)
45. Spec Ops: The Line (PC)
46. System Shock" Enhanced Edition (PC)
47. Tekken 7 (PS4)
48. Nier Automata [Platinum] (PS4)
49. Nier (B) (PS3)
50. Drakengard 3 (A-C) (PS3)
51. FEAR Extraction Point* (PC)
52. FEAR Perseus Mandate* (PC)
53. Transmissions: Element 120 (PC)
54. Ratchet & Clank (PS4)
55. Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4)

* replay

The Ratchet & Clank remake is simply sublime. I love how they get Dr Neferious in there, since he's easily one of the best iconic characters in the series now. I'll probably go back to it again sometime and get the platinum. Overall this is probably under Crack in Time and Going Commando, maybe tied with Up Your Arsenal for me. All four of them are incredible so this is one of the best! It's a good jumping in point for new players too and considering the first game is a little rough, you could maybe supplement this for it. But if this was your first and you enjoyed it, I highly recommend playing all the other main installments.

Rise of the Tomb Raider ruled. The progression felt a bit like Zelda at times which is really cool. However I have to admit heavily scripted games after awhile can be taxing and this game is massive! I did a lot of the side stuff and wanted to do all the tombs, but I guess I missed one. It felt like I was probably 15-20 hours in so I was starting to feel ready for it to be over. But there's still a lot of content and some of the DLC I need to check out sometime, since the PS4 version came with a ton of extras and DLC. Overall I like this even more than the first reboot. I found the story to be more engaging, the snowy Syria setting was incredible, and they refined the gameplay further. Love what the Dead Space composer brings to these too. Great stuff.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Dude, I absolutely adored both of those games. Fantastic choices!

Ack

Post by Ack »

That makes two people I know who adore Buck Bumble.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Ack wrote:That makes two people I know who adore Buck Bumble.

Who's the other? WHERE IS MY SOUL MATE?!?

Juan Aguacate
24-bit

Post by Juan Aguacate »

Xeogred wrote:1. Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour (PC)
2. Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter* (PC)
3. Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter (PC)
4. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (PC)
5. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (PC)
6. Deadcore (PC)
7. Yakuza 4 (PS3)
8. Hyper Light Drifter (PC)
9. Doom 2: Valiant (PC)
10. Resident Evil 7 (PS4)
10. Doom 2: Ancient Aliens (PC)
11. Doom 2: Vanguard (PC)
12. Doom 2: Doom 2 The Way id Did (PC)
13. Doom 2: Community Chest Pack 4 (PC)
14. Doom: Doom The Way id Did (PC)
15. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 (PC)
16. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 (PC)
17. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (WiiU)
18. Dishonored 2 (PC)
19. Kirby's Dream Land (GB)
20. Kirby's Dream Land 2 (GB)
21. Super Mario Land (GB)
22. Super Mario Land 2 (GB)
23. Mighty Final Fight (NES)
24. Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES)
25. Trip World (GB)
26. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (Genesis)
27. Aladdin (Genesis)
28. Streets of Rage (SMS)
29. Bare Knuckle (Genesis)
30. Bare Knuckle 2* (Genesis)
31. Bare Knuckle 3* (Genesis)
32. Marchen Adventure Cotton 100% (SNES)
33. Earthworm Jim* (Sega CD)
34. Ghouls'n Ghosts (Genesis)
35. Contra (NES)
36. Super C (NES)
37. Final Fight 2* (SNES)
38. Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES)
39. Final Fight 3* (SNES)
40. Operation C (GB)
41. Contra Hard Corps [End B] (Genesis)
42. Mega Turrican (Genesis)
43. Prey (PC)
44. Dark Souls 3 DLC: Ashes of Ariandel & The Ringed City (PS4)
45. Spec Ops: The Line (PC)
46. System Shock" Enhanced Edition (PC)
47. Tekken 7 (PS4)
48. Nier Automata [Platinum] (PS4)
49. Nier (B) (PS3)
50. Drakengard 3 (A-C) (PS3)
51. FEAR Extraction Point* (PC)
52. FEAR Perseus Mandate* (PC)
53. Transmissions: Element 120 (PC)
54. Ratchet & Clank (PS4)
55. Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4)

* replay

The Ratchet & Clank remake is simply sublime. I love how they get Dr Neferious in there, since he's easily one of the best iconic characters in the series now. I'll probably go back to it again sometime and get the platinum. Overall this is probably under Crack in Time and Going Commando, maybe tied with Up Your Arsenal for me. All four of them are incredible so this is one of the best! It's a good jumping in point for new players too and considering the first game is a little rough, you could maybe supplement this for it. But if this was your first and you enjoyed it, I highly recommend playing all the other main installments.

I think the only flaw of the game is they didn't add a combat arena

I've actually started a quest to platinum all of the R&C games. On that note:

Ratchet & Clank All 4 One - PS4

I had always assumed that the R&C side games were bad. I didn't even think they were made by Insomniac for some reason (I was wrong).

All 4 One is a blast. It's actually the most platformey R&C game I've played. The shootey stuff is still in there, but they've cut back on the amount of it by a large amount to make more room for actual platforming and light puzzle solving than the main line R&C games, which are about 70% shooting and 30% platforming/puzzles. All 4 One is more 50/50, which oddly makes it feel more old school to me than the other R&C games. All 4 One knows it's a platformer, while the main line games seem to often forget about the platforming element, focusing much more on the action and explosions.

The co-op is well implemented, though it's less fun if you play solo. Clank will be controlled by the AI and he does a very good job of doing whatever you need him to do, but the game is just so much more fun with 4 players. Amazingly, there are still players online. I've noticed this with a few, old PS3 games and I can only assume it's because of PSNow adding backwards compatibility to the PS4. It's not an ideal service, but it gets the job done for people who don't want to take their PS3 out of the closet. Anyway, the game finds many clever, fun ways to force players to work together, while still encouraging some light competition. You'll help each other, but still try an earn the best score, or outdo each other in other areas (most bolts collected, most kills, least amount of deaths, etc.). There's a fantastic co-op mechanic in the game where players are encouraged to concentrate all their fire on a single target, eventually triggering a powerful explosion for massive damage. It's very cool and satisfying when you pull it off as it always accompanied by dramatic slow down.

The interplay between the four characters is hilarious, especially in the cut scenes. They're this perfectly dysfunctional team. Nefarious has the funniest lines. And the game has some of funniest villains and characters in the series, like Commando Spog, who can't retire until he eliminates your meddlesome team. Or the friendly, giant mech you'll encounter in one stage that Captain Qwark gets really attached too. The humor is on point. There's a funny moment in the game where you find an area with no enemies, and it's revealed that they are all hiding out of fear from your team LOL.

All 4 One has some of the most creative gameplay elements in the series. Some stages have you descending down a vertical shaft with a jet pack, much like those stages in the Battletoads games where you rappel down the inside of a tree. The battletoads would kick any enemies, while avoiding obstacles. Here you do the same, but wall slam your enemies instead of kicking them. There's also a water based boss battle that has you doing battle while riding jet skis. The game even puts a different spin on the traditional rail grinding sections.

One last thing, you have limited health and can't upgrade it in any way. This kind of makes some of the firefights in the game feel more intense than the other R&C games, especially when there's enemies everywhere and four players all blasting weapons at them. It can become hard to even tell where your character is among all the visual chaos, leading to you taking hits you didn't even know were coming at you.

And can I just say how weird it is that Clank is running around blasting bad guys in this game, when in every other R&C game he is completely incapable of combat? I don't think the game even explains that. He's basically every bit as capable a warrior in All for One as Ratchet. But then again, so is Kwark, I guess you just have to accept that everybody else had to be brought up to Ratchet's level in order to facilitate the multi-player element.

I still prefer more traditional R&C games, but the All 4 One experiment is a lot of fun. I'm curious now about the other side games that I never played (Deadlocked and Full Frontal Assault). I plan on playing them too in my quest to Platinum all the R&C games. I still have some trophies and skill points to mop up in All 4 One. Speaking of trophies, I wish Tools of Destruction and Quest for Booty would get re-released or remastered so I could add them to my trophy hunt.
Ack

Post by Ack »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
Ack wrote:That makes two people I know who adore Buck Bumble.

Who's the other? WHERE IS MY SOUL MATE?!?

My buddy Fat Brian, who feels Buck Bumble is one of the greatest of the N64's hidden gems.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

@Juan: Nice! All 4 One is the side game I might consider. I'm not sure about the others. It would be neat if they all got some PS3 or PS4 collective release, maybe they did? But yeah since that one is still more geared towards co-op, I've kind of held off on it. It didn't feel like I missed anything vital by only playing the main games. I did however play Quest for Booty... I guess that was kind of stand alone and on the side.

Yeah the reason I love Going Commando so much is because it balanced the adventure platforming and action elements perfectly. It still felt like an old school platformer with bigger levels and some exploring. From Up Your Arsenal and on the games got more linear and focused on the action, which is fine since that's still awesome. But Going Commando was a blissful combination and they got everything right on that one. The quality jump between the first and this one was massive. I also got a big kick out of the villain being this polite old guy that Ratchet and Clank trusted when he was constantly trying to kill them haha. Second best villain after Neferious.

Getting the platinums for these is pretty easy. Just a little time consuming with some grinding elements here and there, but yeah. I didn't bother with the first games platinum though. I went the entire game without finding the health upgrades, which seemed really tucked away or something... so having to beat that with 4 health points made Dark Souls look like a joke. I guess it's on me for that making the experience a little sour, but the game also had some issues like no side strafing, the grapple hook was really wonky and killed you a lot, etc. Maybe I'll consider revisiting it again sometime for the challenge run and mopping up the trophies. Ratchet's surfer accent was awful too haha. I still try and recommend it to anyone interested in the series though, just have to brace for some archaic flawed and brutal game design. The charm and character is still there though.

The Groovitron trophy for the remake looks real tedious, lol.

Oh yeah... Tools had no trophies? I remember this one being a little frustrating and the new engine was kind of odd. I liked the remastered first three way more, how they looked and felt. The villain in Tools was pretty lame too, but overall still a great game. Just one of the weaker ones to me.

You're totally right that the remake lacking an arena is a noticeable disappointment. Those are always a huge highlight in the others.