Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

For the record, I also want to come out in favor of A Boy and His Blob (Wii). It is a beautiful, outstanding game.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I thought A Boy and His Blob was just okay, like basically everything I've played by WayForward thus far.

Hoping some of the later Shantae games will convince me otherwise
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

alienjesus wrote:I thought A Boy and His Blob was just okay, like basically everything I've played by WayForward thus far.

Yeah. I've played quite a few WayForward games. They tend to always fall into 7/10 territory.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Every once in a while, they exceed it (like with Pirate's Curse), but they're consistently the kings of the 7 or 8 out of 10. Which is good in a lot of ways, because you can expect consistency, but you're rarely going to find anything that truly wows you.

That being said, Double Dragon Neon was amazing.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I agree. I have played a lot of WayForward's games, but I only love a few of them (i.e., A Boy & His Blob, Shantae & The Pirate's Curse, and Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero). A lot of their games are good or very good, however, and I always give them a chance.

I really need to play the Bloodrayne game they developed a few years ago at some point. It looks awesome despite its mixed reviews.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

A little recap of WF games I've played / beaten of theirs, what I think...

Wendy: Every Witch Way (played | 6.5/10) gets repetitive quickly
Shantae (played | 7/10) level designs are meh
Sigma Star Saga (played | 6/10) great idea yet jank as hell
Contra 4 (beaten | 7/10) well made but stupid hard
Where the Wild Things Are (played | 5/10) nice graphics, little else
Batman: The Brave and the Bold [Wii] (beaten | 7/10) decent co-op
Centipede: Infestation [Wii] (played | 4/10) pretty terrible
Aliens Infestation (beaten | 8/10) decent metroidvania

This company has made a buttload of games:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WayForward_Technologies

With rapid output like that, no wonder they don't take the time to really polish things.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

fastbilly1 wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:1. Day of the Tentacle Remastered - PC
2. Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide - PC
3. Final Fantasy VII - PSX
4. Zelda Breath of the Wild - Switch
5. Warframe - PC
6. Kingdom Rush - Android
7. Kingdom Rush Frontiers - Android
8. Kingdom Rush Origins - Android
9. Secret of Monkey Island Talkie Edition - PC

10. Secret of Monkey Island 2 SE - PC
11. Fast RMX - Switch

10. Dirty secret: I never beat MI2 until this year. I always got off Scab island, but ran out of steam up when you had the other two added in. I did not see that ending coming and now I am super curious to what they were planning for MI3, instead of Curse.

The Special Edition of Monkey Island 2 does provide a talkie built in, so I just ran with that and had a ball. I swapped between the two modes frequently, which was handy for one specific puzzle. The audio commentary was awesome, especially when Tim was apologizing for certain puzzles and design choices. I am still not a huge fan of the new artstyle, but the game was thoroughly enjoyable (even if the entire last act I just wanted to quit and go play Fate of Atlantis again since the backgrounds are similar).

11. Bought it Saturday, finished all cups last night (on lowest difficulty). It is a step between Wipeout and Fzero and is an incredible title. I know Nintendo does not believe there is anything they can do with the franchise, but why fix what is not broken? New maps, new ships, exquisite gameplay. I know that I will get destroyed if I play online, but just playing against bots I more than got my moneys worth. Though my enjoyment of it is nothing compared to my four year old nephew who played the base maps on VS and thinks it is the coolest thing in the world. He spent yesterday drawing "hover racers" with my mother and insisted on video chatting to show me.

Now back to Kings Quest 7...
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

fastbilly1 wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:1. Day of the Tentacle Remastered - PC
2. Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide - PC
3. Final Fantasy VII - PSX
4. Zelda Breath of the Wild - Switch
5. Warframe - PC
6. Kingdom Rush - Android
7. Kingdom Rush Frontiers - Android
8. Kingdom Rush Origins - Android
9. Secret of Monkey Island Talkie Edition - PC

10. Secret of Monkey Island 2 SE - PC
11. Fast RMX - Switch

10. Dirty secret: I never beat MI2 until this year. I always got off Scab island, but ran out of steam up when you had the other two added in. I did not see that ending coming and now I am super curious to what they were planning for MI3, instead of Curse.

The Special Edition of Monkey Island 2 does provide a talkie built in, so I just ran with that and had a ball. I swapped between the two modes frequently, which was handy for one specific puzzle. The audio commentary was awesome, especially when Tim was apologizing for certain puzzles and design choices. I am still not a huge fan of the new artstyle, but the game was thoroughly enjoyable (even if the entire last act I just wanted to quit and go play Fate of Atlantis again since the backgrounds are similar).

11. Bought it Saturday, finished all cups last night (on lowest difficulty). It is a step between Wipeout and Fzero and is an incredible title. I know Nintendo does not believe there is anything they can do with the franchise, but why fix what is not broken? New maps, new ships, exquisite gameplay. I know that I will get destroyed if I play online, but just playing against bots I more than got my moneys worth. Though my enjoyment of it is nothing compared to my four year old nephew who played the base maps on VS and thinks it is the coolest thing in the world. He spent yesterday drawing "hover racers" with my mother and insisted on video chatting to show me.

Now back to Kings Quest 7...

Woohoo! Monkey Island Love!!! What did you think of that ending and how it gets entirely disregarded in the third installment? I think it is an awesome ending that should have been the real end of it personally.

Also how is kings quest 7 treating you?
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I really need to play the Bloodrayne game they developed a few years ago at some point. It looks awesome despite its mixed reviews.

I really enjoyed it, though there were a few sections that felt harder than they should have been. I think I beat it last year, so you can check out my thoughts in that games beaten thread.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Woohoo! Monkey Island Love!!! What did you think of that ending and how it gets entirely disregarded in the third installment? I think it is an awesome ending that should have been the real end of it personally.

I read some of the theories on this yesterday, I really dont know. I would love to see where Tim and Ron wanted to take the story, but Ron is like a vault and keeps secrets close to his chest.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Also how is kings quest 7 treating you?

Poorly. It plays far differently than 1-6 and I am having a hard time adjusting. When I did my marathon of the others last year it was easy (cracked the code kind of gaming), but I have had more trouble in 7 then I did in any of the others. It is a beautiful title but the music goes from awesome to grating pretty quickly (much like the Parrot in MI2). Ill beat it, even if I have to use a guide. The bigger issue is that the update to Galaxy somehow erased my save, so I had to restart it yesterday. I was only one Act in so its not the end of the world.