Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
jfe2
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by jfe2 »

MrPopo wrote:
dsheinem wrote:holy shit, jfe2 uncloaks!

If he put the cloak back on maybe it would smother that fire.

It's nice to see you two here! I missed this place.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

76. Monster Party | 5/10

ImageImage

Released in 1989, over time Monster Party has become a bit of a "cult classic". Many a time have I read that Monster Party is a hidden NES gem. Well, after having finished this game, I do not agree. It's true Monster Party is very unique. This platformer is full of grotesque imagery, fairly adult humor, and things which aren't appropriate for kids necessarily. I have to guess Nintendo didn't get far enough into Monster Party to realize this before stamping their seal of quality. But just because Monster Party has its macabre charm, that doesn't override it's a rather sloggish game to play. Primarily because enemies are damage sponges, and bosses attack too erratically.

Truly Monster Party is a difficult game to beat, and let me tell you I will never beat it again. You go through levels fighting enemies and various mini-bosses trying to find a key to the exit. Simple enough, sure. But level 6 is a maze from hell, and level 7 cruelly cheated me out of the exit key, making me have to reset the entire game. To put it bluntly, Monster Party is far more interested in being cheeky and ghoulish than it is being a fair and fun piece of entertainment. I was honestly disappointed that Monster Party did not live up to the praise I'd heard over the years. Simple things for simple minds I suppose. I did appreciate the double twist ending though.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I always thought that Monster Party was considered pretty iffy, but was well-known because it was so weird. I definitely wouldn't consider it a hidden gem, although it is intriguing as an oddity.

Now there's an article we need for the site: "Games That Are Objectively Bad But Interesting Because They're Weird." Also known as "Some Game Developers Do Crack, Apparently!"
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Sarge wrote:Now there's an article we need for the site: "Games That Are Objectively Bad But Interesting Because They're Weird." Also known as "Some Game Developers Do Crack, Apparently!"

What about something more along the lines of "Games you like that are objectively bad"? Or would that be too close to the "Unpopular Opinions" thread's stated purpose?
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Ack

Post by Ack »

Hey Exhum, you gonna play Monsters in My Pocket soon?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Ack wrote:Hey Exhum, you gonna play Monsters in My Pocket soon?

That would be a good fit. Unfortunately I already beat Monster in My Pocket long ago, and I'm only playing "Halloween-y" games I haven't beat before. Monster in My Pocket is decent though, especially co-op.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Exhuminator wrote:
Ack wrote:Hey Exhum, you gonna play Monsters in My Pocket soon?

That would be a good fit. Unfortunately I already beat Monster in My Pocket long ago, and I'm only playing "Halloween-y" games I haven't beat before. Monster in My Pocket is decent though, especially co-op.

That it is. I was a big fan of it as a kid and used to play through it with one of my brothers. Good times.

Well, since Exhum's beaten it, somebody else should give it a go!
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

That's definitely one of the hidden gems of the NES library, lots of fun there.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

For the record not only is this cover disingenuous to the actual game, it looks terrible and I really don't like it.

77. Hammerin' Harry | 7/10

Hammerin' Harry the construction worker's girlfriend is kidnapped by a ghost, so now he's gonna pulverize everything paranormal until he saves her. That's the gist of this Game Boy platformer anyway, not that you'll care about the plot. You'll probably care more about the exemplary graphics, catchy music, fun gameplay, and general wackiness. I say "fun gameplay", but there comes a point where Hammerin' Harry starts hammering the player instead, to the point of extraordinary irritation. The main problem concerns the player's temporary invulnerability upon being hit, being rather too temporary. This is further compounded by a lack of balance in enemy numbers and offensive aggression. For all its impressive special effects and stage variety (there's shmup bits even), too often the fun factor is sabotaged by overly punitive design. In short, this game is often unfairly hard. However, if you're looking for a decent Halloween title for Game Boy, and you've got plenty of patience, Hammerin' Harry hits the nail on the head more often than not.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Huh, wonder why the game never really caught on? :roll:

Does sound like a game I need to add to my list, though.