Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by dsheinem »

I think the discussion of HZD is relevant to retro games, or at least I've tried to make it so, as we are talking about both the spectre of a series' history and the critic's familiarity with genre history in determining review scores.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I inadvertently started this shitstorm a while back in the Random Gaming Thoughts thread, when I declared I'd rather play H:ZD over BotW. That caused a little bumble rumble, which managed to leak into this thread, and mutate into splintered debates. Wasn't intentional. :?

I think Bone has a very good point, but I won't expound upon it, because this poor thread has been derailed enough already the past few pages.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Horizon looks great, I want to play it at some point.

Zelda is great, I am enjoying playing right now.

Nier Automata also looks great, I plan to play it in the future.

How anyone has time for all these great but enormous games is beyond me though. I plan to finish Zelda and then spend a few weeks playing games that are less than 2 hours long for a bit :lol:
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

alienjesus wrote:Horizon looks great, I want to play it at some point.

This is how I feel.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Ack

Post by Ack »

dsheinem wrote:I think the discussion of HZD is relevant to retro games, or at least I've tried to make it so, as we are talking about both the spectre of a series' history and the critic's familiarity with genre history in determining review scores.

Of course you do, Dave. Good boy. Have a cookie.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Ultimately, Dungeon Magic remains one of my favorite beat 'em ups of all time. The actual "beat 'em" aspect may be a touch too bare-bones, but the game world crafted by Taito is a sight to behold. Highly recommended.

A great title, one that is rarely brought up to boot.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

alienjesus wrote:Horizon looks great, I want to play it at some point.

How anyone has time for all these great but enormous games is beyond me though. I plan to finish Zelda and then spend a few weeks playing games that are less than 2 hours long for a bit :lol:

Exactly how I feel! Nier is one of my all time faves, so out of the three I'll definitely be picking up that first. That said, I won't be getting any for a good while if I can help it. I've got some 800 other games to wade through first Xp

BoneSnapDeez wrote: Taito Legends 2, by the way, is one of the best retro arcade compilations ever conceived. Anyone remotely interested in the developer's backlog needs this in their collection.

Totally agree with this. If you like arcade games AT ALL (especially (at least 2) multiplayer), then Taito Legends 2 is probably one of the best games for money you can possibly buy if you're not just gonna bite the bullet for a MAME cabinet. Honestly, I didn't even know it was for any console other than PS2! I've never even seen it for Xbox. I'd totally prioritize that version if I didn't already have a multi-tap for mah PS2 though (although I'll admit I can't even remember if there are any 4 player games on that).

One of my favorite memories in that game is going through that RPG that's all pop-culture quiz questions. I'm too young to get any of them though, so I had to have my mom help me through all the stages I played because she's a much older super-nerd than me Xp
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

The Xbox version is PAL-only.

For some bizarre reason, not all versions on Taito Legends 2 contain the exact same game line-up, so you'll need at least two copies to get the full experience. The most significant blow is the fact that the most-common version (PS2) lacks Cadash and RayForce.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Ack wrote:
dsheinem wrote:I think the discussion of HZD is relevant to retro games, or at least I've tried to make it so, as we are talking about both the spectre of a series' history and the critic's familiarity with genre history in determining review scores.

Of course you do, Dave. Good boy. Have a cookie.

Uh, not sure how to take this...do you doubt my sincerity?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:HHonestly, I didn't even know it was for any console other than PS2! I've never even seen it for Xbox.

The Xbox version was not released in North America. It was released in Europe, however, and it is region-free. I have the PAL version, and the extra games and features make it worth importing.

EDIT: Bone beat me to it!

DOUBLE EDIT: Also, I would just like to remind people that we don't all have to like the same video games; you can't really be wrong about liking one video game more or less than another; and a variety of opinions makes for healthy, interesting discussion.