Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Segata
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by Segata »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:You're friends with a cannibal? Mind giving a name? The FBI would love to have a chat with him, I'm sure; that shit is extraordinarily illegal and for good reason.

He doesn't practice it in the US as a US citizen but came from a tribe of them. They didn't kill people either. They mostly ate wildlife. The people part came when one of their own passed. This is the usual reaction anyway. yeah I know it's weird I don't like it but knowing one I don't fear them. People fear what they don't understand.

Like when people are so afraid of another guy I knew he was big 6'5" 280 and I'm about a foot shorter. He has Schizophrenia who went to prison for beating up a dude who mocked him.People treated him badly or ignored him/mocked him like people do to me since they feel the need to belittle and just don't understand people like us. Didn't fear the guy and we became more than neighbors.

o.pwuaioc wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:I would like to point out that the people in horizon zero dawn are not native americans. Tribal does not mean native american.

+1

So much wrong with this. I could get into it's problems just going to let you mock me about it because I no longer care. I'll just leave Dia's article a Native herself.
https://medium.com/@dialacina/what-we-t ... .19opc3w67
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

It's simply 100% wrong. "Tribal" has been a way of describing people long before Europeans even knew there was another continent, let alone began a discourse on North American tribal peoples.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Until Dawn is absolutely supposed to be an homage to '80's horror films. If the tropes in it seem tired or tried or even insensitive, it's because they are on purpose. They're hearkening back to a time when films like that were everywhere, and they're trying to cater to the people who grew up with them and are familiar with those tropes. If the ideas in its story seem dated, it's because they're intended to feel 30+ years old.

--

Not exactly sure what you're trying to get at with that article (which while it does have some valid points, I'm not exactly sure what audience it's aiming for, especially dropping it here in this context). I gotta support BMF's line though. While yes, Horizon clearly takes themes from Native cultures, the characters themselves aren't ethnically associated with those traditions. So far as I can tell, they're just supposed to be ambiguous humans, separated from our time's ethnic labels.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

I would also like to make it very clear that I was in no way mocking Segata or making light of his mental illness. I take that stuff very seriously and would not in any way infer that I was joking about that. I was simply stating that the people of Horizon are of a broad ethnic population.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Brothers a Tale of Two Sons-PS4 disc version.

I beat this on Steam maybe when it came out but remembered so little. I been playing how many emotions is people games. RiME,Abzu and now Brothers a 2nd time but nearly felt like my first. Journey collection arrives tomorrow.

The game is better than I remember and appreciated it much more this time even if one of the few things I remembered is a big plot point. It's less artsy in visuals than those others but everything else and even a bit more is there for it's story telling. I just love how these games tell a story without any real dialogue. The music,atmosphere is great. Yeah it's a little clunky with the controls but it's not bad just a learning curve. I only had a slight issue with one part late in the game but it was more about my brain getting mixed up. I feel this is a game everyone should try.

Can't deny I'm a bit of a sucker for these. I mentioned before but I LOVE rain on PS3. Stylized with lower case and is a similar kind of game. Lost in Shadow from Hudson on Wii is another. Majin & The Forsaken Kingdom is not quite a game like these in narrative as it has VA and dialogue. The game play and characters are very much aiming for the same thing however. It's funny because while Ico made these kind of games popular..always felt those games played horribly. I also don't know if these games existed before Ico. I'm glad Ico happened even if I didn't enjoy it. Anyhoo Brothers is a fantastic game and should try it or if you played it but been a while,play it again.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Segata wrote:Brothers a Tale of Two Sons-PS4 disc version.

I beat this on Steam maybe when it came out but remembered so little. I been playing how many emotions is people games. RiME,Abzu and now Brothers a 2nd time but nearly felt like my first. Journey collection arrives tomorrow.

The game is better than I remember and appreciated it much more this time even if one of the few things I remembered is a big plot point. It's less artsy in visuals than those others but everything else and even a bit more is there for it's story telling. I just love how these games tell a story without any real dialogue. The music,atmosphere is great. Yeah it's a little clunky with the controls but it's not bad just a learning curve. I only had a slight issue with one part late in the game but it was more about my brain getting mixed up. I feel this is a game everyone should try.

Can't deny I'm a bit of a sucker for these. I mentioned before but I LOVE rain on PS3. Stylized with lower case and is a similar kind of game. Lost in Shadow from Hudson on Wii is another. Majin & The Forsaken Kingdom is not quite a game like these in narrative as it has VA and dialogue. The game play and characters are very much aiming for the same thing however. It's funny because while Ico made these kind of games popular..always felt those games played horribly. I also don't know if these games existed before Ico. I'm glad Ico happened even if I didn't enjoy it. Anyhoo Brothers is a fantastic game and should try it or if you played it but been a while,play it again.

I couldn't agree more on all fronts of this post. Games that evoke emotions of any kind deserve praise. All the games you listed are exceptional and worth a playthrough for those that enjoy this style of hand crafted storytelling.

As for games that came before them, there are quote a few actually. The Myst franchise is one I personally love, with minimal storytelling and meticulous world building that stands the test of time.

I also love games like Out of This World and Heart of Darkness for their sense of atmosphere and emotion through visual body language versus dialog and voice acting.

The real predecessors to those games you enjoy have heavy roots in the adventure genre. Even text based adventure games of the 1980s had titles that tugged at the heartstrings, like A Mind Forever Voyaging.

Are you in any way excited for the next title by the creator of Brothers? A Way Out looks phenomenal and its requirement for split screen co-op makes me very happy as that is a style that I vastly prefer to play.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Partridge Senpai's 2017 Beaten Games:

1. Tales of Hearts R (Vita)
2. UPPERS (Vita)
3. Volume (Vita)
4. Overlord: Minions (DS)
5. Kirby: Planet Robobot (3DS)
6. Overlord II (PS3)
7. Overlord: Dark Legend (Wii)
8. La-Mulana (Remake) (PC)
9. Infamous: Second Son (PS4)
10. htol#NiQ: The Firefly Diary (Vita)
11. Blood Bowl (360)
12. Dead to Rights: Retribution (360)
13. Bioshock Infinite (360)
14. Bioshock Infinite: Burial At Sea Part 1 (360)
15. Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea Part 2 (360)
16. Singularity (360)
17. Seifuku Densetsu Pretty Fighter X (Saturn)
18. Ultraman: Hikari No Kyojin Densetsu (Saturn)
19. Donkey Kong 64 (N64) (repeat)
20. Song of the Deep (PS4)
21. Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 3 (GCN)
22. Banjo-Tooie (N64) (repeat)
23. Wario Land (VB)
24. Yakuza HD Edition (PS3)
25. Yakuza 2 HD Edition (PS3)
26. Vanquish (PS3)
27. Watchdogs 2 (PS4)
28. Pikmin (Wii)
29. Pikmin 3 (Wii U)
30. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Wii U)
31. Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)
32. Tales of Innocence R (Vita)
33. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
34. Boing! Docomodake DS (DS)
35. Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS)
36. Magicka 2: Learn to Spell... AGAIN! (PS4) (repeat)
37. Pokemon Moon (3DS)

38. Pokemon Black 2 (DS)

The Poke-mania continues with Pokemon Black 2! I've always loved the main Black and White games, so I figured it was high time I played the sequel/remix! I tried to catch every unique Pokemon I saw, but I didn't especially go out of my way to find them. I did all of the main and just about all of the post-game, and it took me just about 50 hours.

On a narrative level, the 5th gen story will always be my favorite. The concept of "should Pokemon be held in captivity" was a fascinating one, that I'm not sure they can ever really repeat. That said, the direct sequel to that story is fairly well told. There's still not nearly as much dialogue as there would come to be in X/Y and Sun/Moon, but it's still interesting. Your rival isn't quite as boring as Barry, but he's nowhere near as memorable as Hau or Gladion.

The pacing is much better in this game than the first B/W games. With a 300-strong national Pokedex, you're always running into new Pokemon in new areas. The difficulty curve is also feels very smooth. All the way up the champion, I always felt that the trains I fought were just strong and smart enough to keep me on my toes. It never felt like the game was just wasting my time. Original B/W felt like you hit a brick wall when you got to the elite 4 where you just had to grind for hours (as I've had to do in my last 4 playthroughs of that gen), but this game happily didn't have that. The strange thing was that the game gates off a lot of the best TM's until the very late main story or even the post-game. You don't get Thunderbolt until RIGHT before the elite 4, and you can't get Earthquake until the post-game. Being thunderbolt-less for so long made life quite a bit harder than it needed to be :P

This game tries a good few new things on a mechanical level that I thought were, if not a good addition by themselves, at least interesting ideas. The habitat list that shows you specifically what Pokemon (that you've already seen) appear in each location is SUPER helpful for hunting down specific guys. Invaluable for a full-dex run if you weren't gonna just look it all up on Bulbapedia like I do :P . The medals effectively function like achievements. Just like real achievements, they don't really add anything to the game, but it's very interesting to have them in a Nintendo game, let alone a Pokemon game. You've got Pokestar Studios, which is kind of a puzzle-mode. It's something you can just do whenever, so it's not forced into the main game really, but again, it's cool it's there. Lastly there are also a LOT of triple-battles and rotation-battles scattered throughout all of the normal trainer-battles you fight. Given that there was like ONE of each in B/W, it's nice to see that B2/W2 actually tries to put them in the game more.

Verdict: Recommended. It's a good game for Pokemon fans, but perhaps not the best introductory game to the series given its difficulty. A very good follow-up to the original 5th gen though, and a good innovation on the traditional 3rd Pokemon game trope Nintendo likes to do so much. I know Ultra Sun/Moon won't be a sequel, but I hope they try new things in that one just like they did here :)
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

January:
1) The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (PC) (8.5) (1/1) (~5.5 hours)
2) ActRaiser (SNES) (8.0) (1/2) (~4 hours)
3) Bonk's Revenge (GB) (6.0) (1/3) (~1 hour)
4) Tiny Toon Adventures: Babs' Big Break (GB) (6.5) (1/3) (~1 hour)
5) Blackwell Legacy (PC) (7.0) (1/5) (2.6 hours)
6) Blackwell Unbound (PC) (7.5) (1/7) (2.2 hours)
7) Blackwell Convergence (PC) (8.0) (1/7) (2.4 hours)
8) Blackwell Deception (PC) (8.0) (1/8) (4.7 hours)
9) Blackwell Epiphany (PC) (9.0) (1/9) (6.5 hours)
10) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4) (8.0) (1/22) (~55 hours)
11) Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (360) (8.0) (1/28) (~.5 hours)
12) Deep Duck Trouble Starring Donald Duck (SMS) (6.5) (1/31) (~1 hour)

February:
13) Quackshot Starring Donald Duck (GEN) (7.5) (2/7) (~2 hours)
14) Fire Emblem Heroes (Android) (8.0) (2/9) (~10 hours)
15) Super C (NES) (9.5) (2/20) (~0.5 hours)
16) Contra (NES) (10.0) (2/20) (~0.5 hours)
17) Mickey's Dangerous Chase (GB) (6.5) (2/24) (~1 hour)
18) My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (3DS) (8.5) (2/25) (~19 hours)
19) Mega Man 2 (NES) (10.0) (2/28) (~0.8 hours)

March:
20) Final Fantasy XV (PS4) (8.0) (3/2) (~33 hours)
21) Blaster Master Zero (NS) (9.0) (3/10) (~6.5 hours)
22) Espgaluda II Black Label (360) (8.0?) (3/17) (0.5 hours)
23) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS) (9.5) (3/28) (~70+ hours)

April:
24) Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (PC) (8.5) (4/7) (~5.5 hours)
25) Hyper Light Drifter (PS4) (8.0) (4/9) (~8 hours)
26) Gekido Advance: Kintaro's Revenge (GBA) (7.5) (4/16) (~3 hours)
27) Vanquish (PS3) (8.5) (4/17) (~7 hours)
28) Journey (PS3) (6.0) (4/19) (~2 hours)
29) GunForce (SNES) (4.0) (4/22) (~20 minutes)
30) GunForce 2 (ARC) (7.0) (4/23) (~30 minutes)
31) GunForce: Battle Fire Engulfed Terror Island (ARC) (6.0) (4/23) (~20 minutes)
32) Mighty Final Fight (NES) (8.5) (4/29) (~30 minutes)

May:
33) Final Fantasy V (SFC) (6.0) (5/1) (~33 hours)
34) Super Adventure Island (SNES) (7.0) (5/2) (~1 hour)
35) Dragon Spirit: The New Legend (NES) (7.5) (5/3?) (~30 minutes)
36) Mighty No. 9 (PS4) (5.0) (5/6?) (~5 hours)
37) Contra III: The Alien Wars (Hard) (SNES) (8.5) (5/11) (~1 hour)
38) Operation C (GB) (7.5) (5/22) (~1 hour)

June:
39) Super Dodge Ball (NES) (9.5) (6/1) (~15 minutes)
40) Bare Knuckle III (GEN) (7.5) (6/3) (~1 hour)
41) Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) (9.5) (6/5) (~30 minutes)
42) Wizards & Warriors X: Fortress of Fear (GB) (4.0) (6/8) (~1 hour)
43) Castlevania: The Adventure (GB) (3.5) (6/9) (~1 hour)
44) Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King (PC) (8.0) (6/15) (~8.5 hours)
45) Streets of Rage (GEN) (9.0) (6/17) (~45 minutes)
46) Ghouls 'N Ghosts (GEN) (6.5) (6/17) (~4 hours)
47) Contra: Hard Corps (GEN) (8.5) (6/18) (~50 minutes)
48) Mighty Gunvolt Burst (NS) (7.5) (6/23) (~3 hours?)
49) Exile's End (PC) (8.0) (6/24) (~5 hours)

July:
50) Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4) (8.5) (7/1) (16h53m)
51) Pharaoh Rebirth+ (PC) (8.0) (7/3) (7 hours)
52) Jackal (NES) (9.0) (7/9) (45 minutes)
53) Golden Axe III (NES) (2.5) (7/9) (~45 minutes)
54) Rygar (NES) (7.0) (7/10) (~2 hours)

Rygar is a lot like other NES games of its kind, an arcade port that was changed significantly from its arcade version to become more exploratory in nature. It's better for it, too. It feels a bit sketchy in spots, with some iffy hit detection (especially when using the grappling hook / pulley), but it's still a really solid game overall. It's even got a rudimentary leveling system in place, along with some magic spells that help out a lot, including a full-life restorative.
Kuruwin
64-bit

Post by Kuruwin »

1.Driveclub (PS4)
2.Doom (PS4)
3.Dark Souls 3 (PS4)
4.Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (PS4)
5.Valkyria Chronicles Remastered (PS4)
6.Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright (3DS)
7.Steins Gate Zero (Vita)
8.No Man's Sky (PS4)
9.Titanfall 2 (PS4)
10.Order 1886 (PS4)
11.Uncharted 4 (PS4)
12.FF15 (PS4)
13.Farcry:Primal (PS4)
14.Shantae: Pirate's Curse (3DS)
15.FFIX (STEAM)
16.Gravity Rush 2 (PS4)
17.Fire Emblem Heroes (android)
18.Pokemon Sun (3DS)
19.Tactic Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (PSP) - I didn't beat the last boss but it's such a cheap piece of shit that i didn't think it was worth kept repeating it.
20.Stardew Valley (PS4)
21.Alienations (PSN)
22.Nights Of Azure (PS4)
23.Nioh (PS4)
24.Bayonetta 2 (Wii U)
25.Horizon:Zero Dawn
26.Legend Of Zelda: BOTW
27.Ever Oasis (3DS)
28.Dragon Quest III (Snes9X)

29. Famicom Tantei Club Part II

In case someone doesn't know FTC is visual novel detective story which is just a bit like Ace Attorney. You don't really too much of in terms of searching around for physical clues and the game doesn't really let you solve the mystery yourself. Instead 95% of the game is just about talking to people and advancing the story that way.

And sadly i have to say that it's not a very good story. I like that the story was more down to earth (it does still have some silliness) but the game does pretty bad job trying to get you invested. On paper the game might sound interesting and i did like the whole ghost rumor thing but they didn't really fully utilize it. Instead off being on the edge of my seat i was constantly disappointed about how sparse the dialogue is and how the MC character is so clueless and barely ever does real effort to get the truth out of people.

You start piece things way before the nitwit MC does.

Anyways. The actual biggest problem with the game is the gameplay. This is a game that you actually want to play guide in hand because how you advance the story can be so damn random. This game would go down from like 5-6 hours to half if vast majority of the time you wouldn't be desperately trying to trigger the next thing. You are so often just smashing every damn option avaivable multiple times until something fucking happens. There's even times when you have to go back and forth between areas to advance the story. This is probably exactly fucking why the AA games have the clock appear do let you know that things have changed.

I give the game points for sounding and looking good but that doesn't really too much when your game doesn't have much going on beside it.

I do appreciate the effort of people who did spent time bringing this to westerners but i can't say that it was a shame that it never got an official release. I kinda do want to see this series comming back because there's a lot of potential on series like this but this game is just forgettable.