Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by Exhuminator »

alienjesus wrote:which is the worst level in that game too btw, so really didn't justify being copied

Long Cave may have been the worst level in Yoshi's Island, but as for Yoshi's Island DS, I thought the worst level was Superhard Acrobatics.

Also I want to be a bit clearer than I was in my review; Yoshi's Island DS isn't the hardest platformer I've ever beaten (that honor might be bestowed upon Mega Man ZX Advent or some NES ones), but it is very disingenuously difficult for a Nintendo platformer, especially a modern era one. People who complain about DCKR's challenge ought to give this a full playthrough, IMO it makes DKCR look like a joke. My point is; someone who's used to Nintendo's easy platformers, would receive Yoshi Island DS's last two worlds as cold slaps to the face.

A dumb yet related anecdote:
To be honest, normally I would not have beaten this game. I would have said "this is shit" and moved on. But I beat it to fulfill a vendetta. You see, years ago, I used to have a frenemy who truly believed he was better than me at video games. I knew this wasn't true, but he loved to claim as such. During the years of 2006-2008, we played competitively against each other, and sometimes he'd beat me at games, but overall I came out on top. During that time, I distinctly remember him complaining about the difficulty level of certain games. Games that were too hard for him to beat, so he gave up on them. Those were Star Wars Republic Commando, Super Mario Sunshine, F-Zero GX, and Yoshi's Island DS. So of course I wanted to beat all of them and rub it in his face. I managed to beat Republic Commando and F-Zero GX before he and I stopped talking, which irritated the living daylights out of him. Later on I beat Super Mario Sunshine, but didn't have the luxury of proving it to him. And just for old time's sake, and to put the last nail in the kiss my ass coffin, I had to beat Yoshi's Island DS. And so I did. 8)

Yes folks, I'm too old to hold such childish grudges and be so petty. But still, my tenacity and stubbornness paid off, even if only as belated personal satisfaction.

Last edited by Exhuminator on Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I love it. You rule, Ex.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Exhuminator wrote:A dumb yet related anecdote:
To be honest, normally I would not have beaten this game. I would have said "this is shit" and moved on. But I beat it to fulfill a vendetta. You see, years ago, I used to have a frenemy who truly believed he was better than me at video games. I knew this wasn't true, but he loved to claim as such. During the years of 2006-2008, we played competitively against each other, and sometimes he'd beat me at games, but overall I came out on top. During that time, I distinctly remember him complaining about the difficulty level of certain games. Games that were too hard for him to beat, so he gave up on them. Those were Star Wars Republic Commando, Super Mario Sunshine, F-Zero GX, and Yoshi's Island DS. So of course I wanted to beat all of them and rub it in his face. I managed to beat Republic Commando and F-Zero GX before he and I stopped talking, which irritated the living daylights out of him. Later on I beat Super Mario Sunshine, but didn't have the luxury of proving it to him. And just for old time's sake, and to put the last nail in the kiss my ass coffin, I had to beat Yoshi's Island DS. And so I did. 8)

Yes folks, I'm too old to hold such childish grudges and be so petty. But still, my tenacity and stubbornness paid off, even if only as belated personal satisfaction.

This. This is how I know you understand.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Heck yes. Well done, sir.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Anyone who actually has the patience to beat F-Zero GX is worthy of some praise, no matter what the motive for beating it might've been.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

1. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
2. Gyromite (NES)
3. Lucy -The Eternity She Wished For- (Steam)
4. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (Famicom)
5. Radical Dreamers (SNES)
6. Video Games 1 (TI-99/4A)
7. Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken (Famicom)
8. Exile (TurboGrafx CD)

First, some notes on nomenclature here.

There's an old ARPG trilogy known as the "XZR series" developed by Telenet Japan. The first installment sadly only appeared on Japanese computers. The second game, XZR II, was also released on Japanese computers, but was then ported to the Genesis and TurboGrafx CD. These console ports are known as Exile, for whatever reason. The third and final game, Exile: Wicked Phenomenon (no "XZR" in the title) is a console exclusive, only appearing on the TurboGrafx CD. Got all that? I had played the Genesis port of Exile years ago and absolutely adored it. As such, I decided it was high time to check out this additional variation. Having talked about this game extensively in the past I'll keep things brief here.
First and foremost, the story of Exile is weird as hell. You play as Sadler who's some sort of Syrian Assassin. Explaining this entire plot is impossible, as a lot was changed during localization and it's hard to tell how much was coherent in the first place. Just know that Exile is a strange tale involving various real-life locales, religious belief systems, and time periods. Want to visit Stonehenge, converse with Buddhist monks and Crusaders, stroll through the Garden of Eden, travel back to the 6th century, and stumble upon Pythagoras chillin' by a triangular lake? Play Exile. As a religious person, and someone very interested in history and religious studies, I welcome these elements and wish there were more games that took a similar plunge (for a great modern example, check out Muramasa).

Gameplay-wise, I'd liken this to Ys III. There are three primary "modes" of play. The map screen looks just like the one found in Ys III, but Exile is even more linear. Backtracking is generally not allowed, and at any given time Sadler is restricted to traveling back and forth between one specific town and dungeon until certain objectives have been completed. Then the next town/dungeon combo will present itself. Towns present their own viewpoint, as they are top-down. It's within these towns that Sadler meets his other party members. What's unique about Exile is the Sadler's posse is just along for the ride. These characters are essential to the story, but have no role in combat and always find a convenient excuse to not enter dungeons.

Dungeons are where the action takes place and the game flips to side-view. Sadler's quite nimble, and the controls here are very smooth. A sword is used primarily, and cranking up the Turbo button will cause Sadler to slash furiously. There's also magic (fire, ice, heal) but it's entirely superfluous outside of a few late-game boss fights.

Dungeons themselves are a bit odd, as they are either super straightforward or annoying convoluted. Thankfully, even within the depths of labyrinths, Exile is never particularly difficult. In fact, it's downright easy, which clashes heavily with the subject matter. Sadler is quite overpowered, and bosses are typically just souped-up regular enemies with poor AI. It's also extraordinarily easy to power-level, as certain enemies will respawn on the screen quickly.

Graphics are a bit of a mixed bag. The towns are pretty muddied, and NPCs lack definition. There are some great character portraits, however, when Sadler and essential NPCs converse. The art really shines in the dungeons, which all look distinct with some very memorable backgrounds. There are some nice little touches too, which are easy to miss upon first glance: for instance, if you look through the entrance door to any dungeon you'll actually see a unique graphical representation of what the outside looks like. The enemy selection in Exile is excellent, these aren't just random beasts but creatures that accurately represent their given location and theme. The soundtrack is decent enough. Everything sounds appropriate but I don't have much desire to listen to it when I'm not actually playing the game.
Now, this is a Working Designs game. Oh boy. Well, as noted it appears that the difficulty wasn't severely tampered with which is good. The translation is solid, though there are a few shitty jokes that are at odds with the game's overall subject matter. The boss that makes a random Cosmic Fantasy reference is pure cringe. Being an advanced CD-ROM game there's also voice-acting. It sucks.

So, is this any better than the much more common Genesis port? Eh, I could go either way. Being a more "family-friendly" system and lacking the Working Designs influence, the Genesis port lacks the flowery dialogue. On the flip-side, it comes across as more mysterious and esoteric that way, which suits the game well. The enhanced audio and visual elements of the CD-ROM format don't differentiate it from the cartridge version as much as one might think. And while the TGCD port has cutscenes they are what you'd expect: cheesy and dated. I actually think the Genesis has a much stronger intro. Instead of some cornball "scary deep voice" guy giving a dramatic reading there's instead a text scroll accompanied by creepy music. It just works so much better. Overall: this is a draw. Unless you're obsessed with ARPGs only one version of the game is necessary and the cheaper and more common Genesis one will do just fine.

I admittedly haven't articulated it very well in my dry summary above, but I love Exile. This is a truly a game that's more than the sum of it's parts. Many other RPGs have done certain things better (combat, navigation, whatever) but none have this tremendous Gnostic atmosphere. Highly recommended.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Glad to see you got around to the TGCD version Bone. Having beaten the TGCD versions of Exile and its sequel* last December, the experiences are still fresh on my mind. I absolutely agree the first Exile is solid.

*Japanese version, not Wrecking Designs' botched localization.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I'm tempted to give that rebalanced version of Exile II a go. I suspect I'll laugh my head off at how easy it is.

To be honest, the WD version isn't unbeatable with a lot of practice, grinding, and buying tons of healing items. And clearly, their tweaks didn't break the last boss, because that was just pitiful. Still, this is why you don't go gold after making a "tweak".
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Sarge wrote:I'm tempted to give that rebalanced version of Exile II a go. I suspect I'll laugh my head off at how easy it is.

The Japanese version is a piece of cake, and I understand why Wrecking Designs figured they should make it a little tougher. But man, they went in the complete and total opposite direction. Would have been better to hack in a difficulty selection on the title screen.

Please Choose Your Difficulty:

Original Mode
I Hate Myself Mode
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

Post by marurun »

The way Victor Ireland has attempted to explain this, they didnt do any of the programming themselves but got a certain number of changes the original company would make as part of the contract. They wanted to make Exile II a little harder and so requested a programming value change, but they didn't fully understand how the difficulty was calculated and ended up with something far harder than expected. But that was their final change per their contract, so they were stuck with the results.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.