Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I, personally, am partial to SMRPG over PM, but I wasn't a personal fan of the paper stylistic choice.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
alienjesus wrote:I struggle to decide which is my favourite between Paper Mario, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga though. All 3 of those games I adore.

Let me help you:

1. Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
2. Paper Mario
3. Paper Mario: TTYD

So I thought Superstar Saga was one of the weakest RPG I had ever played when it came out...I will still beat Paper Mario though.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I liked Superstar Saga a lot. I don't think it beats Paper Mario for me, but it does edge out TTYD. Bowser's Inside Story is my absolute favorite of the Mario & Luigi set.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Sarge wrote:I liked Superstar Saga a lot. I don't think it beats Paper Mario for me, but it does edge out TTYD. Bowser's Inside Story is my absolute favorite of the Mario & Luigi set.

Yes. That game is insanely solid. I thought the writing was a bit better in Superstar Saga, however.

My personal shame is that I have not beaten any other games in the Mario & Luigi series... :? I should change that this year.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

You'll probably be a little disappointed, I don't think any of them are at the level of SS or BIS. PiT is probably the weakest and Paper Jam the strongest of those.

To be clear, though, none of them suck.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I have not read many nice things about M&L: Dream Team...I will probably play PiT next, and I may make one of my goals for 2017-2018 to be finishing up all of the games in Nintendo's "minor" series (i.e., F-Zero, Metroid, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, Kid Icarus, etc.).
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I have not read many nice things about M&L: Dream Team...I will probably play PiT next, and I may make one of my goals for 2017-2018 to be finishing up all of the games in Nintendo's "minor" series (i.e., F-Zero, Metroid, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, Kid Icarus, etc.).

Get Chibi-Robo on that list. I can't speak for the sequels (except the 3DS one, which is just OK), but the Gamecube original is one of my all-time favourite games.

I need to play Park Patrol and the recently translated Happy Richie Big Sweep soon.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

January:
1) The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (PC) (8.5) (1/1) (~5.5 hours)
2) ActRaiser (SNES) (8.0) (1/2) (~4 hours)
3) Bonk's Revenge (GB) (6.0) (1/3) (~1 hour)
4) Tiny Toon Adventures: Babs' Big Break (GB) (6.5) (1/3) (~1 hour)
5) Blackwell Legacy (PC) (7.0) (1/5) (2.6 hours)
6) Blackwell Unbound (PC) (7.5) (1/7) (2.2 hours)
7) Blackwell Convergence (PC) (8.0) (1/7) (2.4 hours)
8) Blackwell Deception (PC) (8.0) (1/8) (4.7 hours)
9) Blackwell Epiphany (PC) (9.0) (1/9) (6.5 hours)
10) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4) (8.0) (1/22) (~55 hours)
11) Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (360) (8.0) (1/28) (~.5 hours)
12) Deep Duck Trouble Starring Donald Duck (SMS) (6.5) (1/31) (~1 hour)

I bought this not too long ago on Game Gear, but decided to play the SMS version. Not sure which version is better. I've heard the GG version plays a bit more smoothly, but it also suffers from tighter screen borders.

It's actually a nice-looking game, lots of good spritework. It's all undone by some serious slowdown, in a game that already moves at a slow pace. It's not bad, but given the pace, it wouldn't surprise me if it did work better on GG.

There's also some weird physics that will catch you unaware from time to time. And don't expect to react quickly to much of anything. Still, I've played a lot worse.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Sarge wrote:
I bought this not too long ago on Game Gear, but decided to play the SMS version. Not sure which version is better. I've heard the GG version plays a bit more smoothly, but it also suffers from tighter screen borders.

It's actually a nice-looking game, lots of good spritework. It's all undone by some serious slowdown, in a game that already moves at a slow pace. It's not bad, but given the pace, it wouldn't surprise me if it did work better on GG.

There's also some weird physics that will catch you unaware from time to time. And don't expect to react quickly to much of anything. Still, I've played a lot worse.

I played this about 2 years back on Game Gear. Not played the SMS version, but the slowdown was still very very prevalent on Game Gear, especially on chase segments.

It's not a bad game, but I prefer the previous 8 bit Donald game on Sega consoles - The Lucky Dime Caper. It's fairly solid. Although it's less ambitious then Deep Duck Trouble, the simpler gameplay is just more consistent and is better handled by the system.

If you want some truly great 8-bit Sega Disney games though, try all the Illusion games on Game Gear and Master System. Castle of Illusion is totally different to the Mega Drive version, and Land of Illusion and Legend of Illusion build on it in really impressive ways. Legend of Illusion in particular is an absolute graphical tour-de-force on Game Gear, it blew me away when I played it, despite it being rather short and easy.

If you're looking for similar fun 8 bit Sega platformers, give Asterix and Asterix and the Secret Mission for Master System a go too - those are a lot of fun. Avoid Asterix and the Great Rescue though, that one is pretty bad.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I'll give those a shot, I'm kinda in the mood for some 8-bit gaming again after all the open-world stuff I've been doing.