Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I like how Shantae (the character) looks more anime-ish in each successive game. Noticed this while I was playing the original the other night. Great series. I really need to check out the latest installment. I mean, I own it, but it's still sealed. :lol:
elricorico
32-bit

Post by elricorico »

I assume that I didn't get the "real" ending. I'm not usually a completionist so if it required 100% I didn't get it.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

January:
1) The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (PC) (8.5) (1/1) (~5.5 hours)
2) ActRaiser (SNES) (8.0) (1/2) (~4 hours)
3) Bonk's Revenge (GB) (6.0) (1/3) (~1 hour)
4) Tiny Toon Adventures: Babs' Big Break (GB) (6.5) (1/3) (~1 hour)
5) Blackwell Legacy (PC) (7.0) (1/5) (2.6 hours)
6) Blackwell Unbound (PC) (7.5) (1/7) (2.2 hours)
7) Blackwell Convergence (PC) (8.0) (1/7) (2.4 hours)
8) Blackwell Deception (PC) (8.0) (1/8) (4.7 hours)
9) Blackwell Epiphany (PC) (9.0) (1/9) (6.5 hours)
10) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4) (8.0) (1/22) (~55 hours)
11) Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (360) (8.0) (1/28) (~.5 hours)
12) Deep Duck Trouble Starring Donald Duck (SMS) (6.5) (1/31) (~1 hour)

February:
13) Quackshot Starring Donald Duck (GEN) (7.5) (2/7) (~2 hours)
14) Fire Emblem Heroes (Android) (8.0) (2/9) (~10 hours)
15) Super C (NES) (9.5) (2/20) (~0.5 hours)
16) Contra (NES) (10.0) (2/20) (~0.5 hours)
17) Mickey's Dangerous Chase (GB) (6.5) (2/24) (~1 hour)
18) My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (3DS) (8.5) (2/25) (~19 hours)

Well, I finally picked this up after farming Fire Emblem Heroes for coins. And as always, it's totally worth it. I really enjoy Picross/nonograms a lot. The presentation here is a little dry, though, and I had to turn the music off because while Zelda-inspired, it gets old very quickly. It's not even the awesome tunes, more of the atmospheric tunes.

So, it's not just straight Picross, though. One mode, Micross, has you putting together a giant mural by solving individual puzzles. These are pretty easy, though, given that they're 10x10 each.

The other is "Mega Picross", which is pretty darn brain-bending. Instead of the usual picross rules, now you've got lines that consist of two lines that can cross over into each other. It definitely requires some creative thinking to figure out what spots are safe and which aren't. I don't play with the time penalty on, so if you mess up (which is going to happen), you get to either try to fix it (doable), or start over if you've made a complete dog's breakfast of it.

(Yes, this is from the Pokemon version, but it illustrates things.)

Anyway, given that I got nearly twenty hours of it, I figure it was totally worth those 1000 Platinum Coins. :)
Ack

Post by Ack »

Oh dude, I love picross games. I didn't know about these...
SpikeSlania
24-bit

Post by SpikeSlania »

Well I can add Dungeons 2 for the ps4 to my list of games beaten this year. Also available on steam. But it's pretty much for fans of Dungeon Keeper 2 like me who are still waiting for a Dungeon Keeper 3 but instead got a free to play Dungeon Keeper on mobile so we have to rely on Kalypso for the next best thing :P I love the underworld dungeon aspect of it. The overworld is kind of eh for me. Maybe it's better in multiplayer. It's not a Dungeon Keeper 3, but probably the next best thing. The ending also leaves room for a Dungeons 3, so can only hope they make it and it releases on ps4 as well.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Ack wrote:Today I Learned: Elkin really likes noses on his characters.

I'm picky af about character designs. I vehemently refuse to watch One Piece and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure despite the great thing's I've heard about them because the character art makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

DO U EVEN LIEK ANIME BRO
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2017 So Far - 20

January (10 Games Beaten)
1. Persona 4 Arena - Playstation 3 - January 1
2. Chrono Trigger - SNES - January 7
3. Ys: The Vanished Omens - Master System - January 8
4. MUSHA - Genesis - January 10
5. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below - PlayStation 4 - January 11
6. Ys I - TurboGrafx-CD - January 13
7. Ys II - TurboGrafx-CD - January 14
8. Dragon Quest Builders - PlayStation 4 - January 23
9. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. School Girl/Zombie Hunter - PlayStation 4 - January 29

February (10 Game Beaten)
11. Fire Emblem Heroes - Android - February 3
12. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - Wii U - February 5
13. Dante's Inferno - PlayStation 3 - February 7
14. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - DS - February 11
15. Persona 4: Dancing All Night - Vita - February 12
16. Sniper Elite 4 - PlayStation 4 - February 17
17. Pony Quest - NES - February 19
18. Halo Wars 2 - Xbox One - February 22
19. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - PlayStation Portable - February 24
20. Hotline Miami - PlayStation 4 - February 26

20. Hotline Miami - PlayStation 4 - February 26

Hotline Miami is a game that I'd been meaning to play for a long time - I downloaded it on my PlayStation 3 years ago and never got around to playing more than a few levels - but had just never made the time for. In this week leading up to the Switch's launch, I figured it was as good a time as any to bash some skulls in while wearing a chicken mask. I had imported a copy of the disc release from Japan a while back (it also included a download code for Hotline Miami 2, but since it's a NTSC-J code and I have an NTSC-U PS4, that didn't do me any good. Plus it was used and idk if the code was still good), so I threw it in the PlayStation yesterday morning and started seeing how far I could get.

One of the first things one should notice - from the box art if nothing else - is that this game is absolutely dripping with style. It's like a cross between a slasher flick and an action movie left to soak in liquefied 1980s for about a week. Everything from the use of vibrant and diverse colors to the groovy af soundtrack to the character design and dialogue just scream stereotypical 1980s, and there's absolutely nothing bad about any of that. The soundtrack especially is a true treat. You're really doing yourself a disservice if you're not playing this with some kind of a sound system. Screw headphones, man; you want a sound bar and subwoofer if not a full surround sound system for this one. It's not THE best soundtrack I've ever heard in a video game, but it's definitely in my top 5.

After the style, the next thing one is apt to notice is the gratuitous gore in this game. The basic premise of the game is that you're getting mysterious messages left on your answer machine that tell you go to somewhere and kill a bunch of Russians in brutal fashions. Sometimes you just shoot them if that's the weapon you have on hand, and unless you're using a shotgun, that's relatively minimally gory. Sometimes you have a lead pipe and crack their skulls open. That's going to leave some blood and bits. If you're unarmed, you can punch them down and then sit on them, taking their skulls and bashing them into the floor repeatedly until they splatter like a watermelon. That's a good stuff; it's like popping a water balloon. This is definitely not a game you're going to want to play near your children, parents, or anyone even remotely faint of heart. At least it uses a pixel art style, so it's not quite as gory as Mortal Kombat, Sniper Elite, or No More Heroes.

In all seriousness, though, this game gets pretty heavy with the subject material, and I'm not just talking about the violence. In one of the early missions, you find a clearly abused and raped young woman in the back of a Russian mob hideout. As the game progresses and things start to seem more and more dreamlike, you talk to men who have been shot in the head, men who are missing eyes, your murdered best friend/guy who hooks you up with pizza and VHS rentals. You're forced into dimly lit rooms with masked people asking you uncomfortable questions that make you question what is real and what isn't. It quickly turns from mindless killfest into a legitimate psychological experience that really makes you begin to question what you're doing and why.

The game's difficulty is one of the things that I think is the most well done. Hotline Miami is very tough, but it's very fair. With the exception of the fat black guys, you die just as easily as your enemies, and careful planning is usually required to pass each stage, but it's only a matter of finding what that "right" strategy is and implementing it rather than some ridiculous luck based bullshit or a insanely difficult skills that must be mastered. It's the kind of game that you WILL get through with enough patience and willingness to keep trying again and again.

Hotline Miami isn't a revolutionary game, but what it does, it does very well. The narrative can be a bit obtuse at first, but like a good drama, the piece slowly being to click together. Once those piece do start to fall, you discover that what you once thought to be mindless killing is actually a story of a man held captive by threats from a powerful organized crime syndicate, a deep web of corruption, and the torment of one's own conscience at the things one was forced to do. It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, and there are going to be those who think I'm ridiculously overanalyzing the game's plot, but I thoroughly enjoyed the game in all regards - gameplay, visual presentation, soundtrack, narrative, the whole nine yards. I definitely recommend this one, and it's available on a number of platforms (PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Steam, and Android).
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

8. Jumping Flash! | PS1 | platformer | 1995 | 2.5hrs | 8/10

When I read that Jumping Flash! was the very first fully three dimensional polygon platformer (predating Super Mario 64 by a year), I decided I'd give it a try for novelty's sake. Sure I knew about this game, it's been around 22 years now, but I'd never taken it seriously. Turns out that Jumping Flash! is a seriously impressive first take on 3D platforming, and remains entertaining to this day. I must admit I came away surprised. And thankful that there are two sequels beyond this first release.

You play as a robotic rabbit out to thwart a mad scientist from capturing various cute worlds (if this sounds like Sonic VS Dr. Robotnik you're on the money). In highly diverse stages you must collect four carrot jetpods before the time limit runs out, collecting power-ups as well. The whole time you will be precariously jumping about, with a curious vertigo inducing camera angle in tow. See, Jumping Flash! plays from a first person perspective, thankfully avoiding the curse of the 5th gen third person camera. You can also shoot at baddies, but most of the game is about jumping really, really high. There are plenty of unique boss stages as well, each with a fun boss to take down. For its time, I imagine Jumping Flash! must have been very graphically impressive. And its cute but simple polygons remain charming today. Takeo Miratsu provided a peppy and joyful OST, which fits Jumping Flash!'s whimsical atmosphere perfectly. Simple controls keep the action serviceable and intuitive. If I have one complaint; I wish you could side-strafe.

Vertigo-go-go!! declares the back of Jumping Flash's USA cover art, and I admit this is one of the few video games that has ever induced vertigo in myself. With its first person high flying platforming, goofy Japanese whimsy, and eclectic stage design... Jumping Flash! was doomed to cult classic from inception. In addition; when you go back in time to explore early 5th gen 3D releases, usually it's only beneficial as a purely scholarly endeavor. But Jumping Flash! is persistent proof that there are still shiny gems to be found amongst the fossils of yesteryear's growing pains.

Last edited by Exhuminator on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.