Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by Sarge »

January:
1) The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (PC) (8.5) (1/1) (~5.5 hours)
2) ActRaiser (SNES) (8.0) (1/2) (~4 hours)
3) Bonk's Revenge (GB) (6.0) (1/3) (~1 hour)
4) Tiny Toon Adventures: Babs' Big Break (GB) (6.5) (1/3) (~1 hour)
5) Blackwell Legacy (PC) (7.0) (1/5) (2.6 hours)
6) Blackwell Unbound (PC) (7.5) (1/7) (2.2 hours)
7) Blackwell Convergence (PC) (8.0) (1/7) (2.4 hours)
8) Blackwell Deception (PC) (8.0) (1/8) (4.7 hours)
9) Blackwell Epiphany (PC) (9.0) (1/9) (6.5 hours)
10) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4) (8.0) (1/22) (~55 hours)
11) Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (360) (8.0) (1/28) (~.5 hours)
12) Deep Duck Trouble Starring Donald Duck (SMS) (6.5) (1/31) (~1 hour)

February:
13) Quackshot Starring Donald Duck (GEN) (7.5) (2/7) (~2 hours)
14) Fire Emblem Heroes (Android) (8.0) (2/9) (~10 hours)
15) Super C (NES) (9.5) (2/20) (~0.5 hours)
16) Contra (NES) (10.0) (2/20) (~0.5 hours)
17) Mickey's Dangerous Chase (GB) (6.5) (2/24) (~1 hour)
18) My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (3DS) (8.5) (2/25) (~19 hours)
19) Mega Man 2 (NES) (10.0) (2/28) (~0.8 hours)

March:
20) Final Fantasy XV (PS4) (8.0) (3/2) (~33 hours)
21) Blaster Master Zero (NS) (9.0) (3/10) (~6.5 hours)
22) Espgaluda II Black Label (360) (8.0?) (3/17) (0.5 hours)
23) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS) (9.5) (3/28) (~70+ hours)

April:
24) Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (PC) (8.5) (4/7) (~5.5 hours)
25) Hyper Light Drifter (PS4) (8.0) (4/9) (~8 hours)
26) Gekido Advance: Kintaro's Revenge (GBA) (7.5) (4/16) (~3 hours)
27) Vanquish (PS3) (8.5) (4/17) (~7 hours)
28) Journey (PS3) (6.0) (4/19) (~2 hours)
29) GunForce (SNES) (4.0) (4/22) (~20 minutes)
30) GunForce 2 (ARC) (7.0) (4/23) (~30 minutes)
31) GunForce: Battle Fire Engulfed Terror Island (ARC) (6.0) (4/23) (~20 minutes)
32) Mighty Final Fight (NES) (8.5) (4/29) (~30 minutes)

May:
33) Final Fantasy V (SFC) (6.0) (5/1) (~33 hours)
34) Super Adventure Island (SNES) (7.0) (5/2) (~1 hour)
35) Dragon Spirit: The New Legend (NES) (7.5) (5/3?) (~30 minutes)
36) Mighty No. 9 (PS4) (5.0) (5/6?) (~5 hours)
37) Contra III: The Alien Wars (Hard) (SNES) (8.5) (5/11) (~1 hour)
38) Operation C (GB) (7.5) (5/22) (~1 hour)

June:
39) Super Dodge Ball (NES) (9.5) (6/1) (~15 minutes)
40) Bare Knuckle III (GEN) (7.5) (6/3) (~1 hour)
41) Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) (9.5) (6/5) (~30 minutes)
42) Wizards & Warriors X: Fortress of Fear (GB) (4.0) (6/8) (~1 hour)
43) Castlevania: The Adventure (GB) (3.5) (6/9) (~1 hour)
44) Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King (PC) (8.0) (6/15) (~8.5 hours)
45) Streets of Rage (GEN) (9.0) (6/17) (~45 minutes)
46) Ghouls 'N Ghosts (GEN) (6.5) (6/17) (~4 hours)
47) Contra: Hard Corps (GEN) (8.5) (6/18) (~50 minutes)
48) Mighty Gunvolt Burst (NS) (7.5) (6/23) (~3 hours?)
49) Exile's End (PC) (8.0) (6/24) (~5 hours)

July:
50) Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4) (8.5) (7/1) (16h53m)
51) Pharaoh Rebirth+ (PC) (8.0) (7/3) (7 hours)
52) Jackal (NES) (9.0) (7/9) (45 minutes)
53) Golden Axe III (NES) (2.5) (7/9) (~45 minutes)
54) Rygar (NES) (7.0) (7/10) (~2 hours)
55) Faxanadu (NES) (8.0) (7/14) (~6 hours)
56) Tekken 3 (PSX) (6.0) (7/24) (~20 minutes)
57) Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4) (8.5) (7/30) (38h16m)

August:
58) Contra: The Alien Wars (GB) (3.5) (8/1) (~30 minutes)
59) Super Smash Bros. (N64) (8.0) (8/6) (~20 minutes)
60) Battletoads (Japan) (NES) (7.5) (8/10) (~40 minutes)
61) Castle of Dragon (NES) (2.5) (8/10) (~1 hour)
62) The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (NES) (3.0) (8/10) (~30 minutes)
63) Strider (NES) (6.5) (8/11) (~2 hours)
64) Commando (NES) (3.5) (8/11) (~1 hour)
65) Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa (NES) (6.5) (8/12) (~1h30m)
66) Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie (GEN) (4.0) (8/12) (~1 hour)
67) Dragon Scroll: Yomigaerishi Maryuu (NES) (5.0) (8/13) (~4 hours)
68) Mega Man 8 (SAT) (7.0) (8/17) (~4 hours)
69) Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (PS4) (8.0) (8/19) (4h42m)

So, I finally got Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap through Limited Run. I liked quite a bit! It shows its age in spots, but I see why the game is a cult classic. I may boot up the original just to see what differences there are in terms of hit detection and whatnot, if any. Everyone probably already knows, though, about the spectacular art on display here. I absolutely love this graphical style. This is quite literally the sort of thing I envisioned video games becoming in the future back in the NES days. Seeing a classic reworked so lovingly just warms my heart.

Of course, being an old classic also means it can be pretty obtuse at times, too. Not ridiculously so, but you're not going to get a map to help you remember where things are, so hopefully you've got a good memory or take good notes. I'm not sure I've got either at this point, because I did have to poke around a lot to remember where a particular door was or chest or breakable wall. Still, that's just part of the genre at the time. Heck, this is downright straightforward compared to Zelda II, now that I think about it.

Along with that, the soundtrack has been redone with excellent live instrumentation, and it sounds loads better than the sketchy SMS sound chip. Yes, I know some of y'all like it, but it's just too tinny for my tastes.

Anyway, the only thing I'm really disappointed in is that it's pretty short. I mean, I finished in under five hours. There is a little bit that I missed, so I'll go back in, but I wish it were just a wee bit longer. Again, I should have expected that. Regardless, if you've got a soft spot for exploratory platformers in the NES/SMS era, this is a fine one.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Watch_Dogs 2 for PS4. Really good GTA-like game, but a bit smarter and really topical in today's world. Should I play the first one?
marurun

Post by marurun »

1. Axiom Verge (Windows/Steam)
2. Fire Emblem Heroes (iOS/no IAP)
3. Fire Emblem Heroes - Hard, Lunatic, and beyond: late game content
4. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (DS)

Here we are in August and this is really just my 3rd game to report back on. This whole being a dad business is super time consuming, though I gotta say, I'm in no hurry to see the end credits. The little one is crawling these days, so I have to stay sharp. But anyway, on to the game. I knew I wanted to try a DS Castlevania, and I suspected that it would be compatible with the kind of short play sessions I would have to limit myself to. I was right!

So, Dawn of Sorrow is a direct sequel to Aria of Sorrow on the GBA. It it set a year later. Soma and Mina are just hanging out downtown having a conversation about how Soma's soul-absorbing days are long behind him when a woman named Celia appears and sends three monsters against Soma. She claims to want to defeat him and facilitate the creation of a new Dracula through her cult. After defeating the monsters and collecting their souls, Arukado appears. Soma goes after the cult in a remote area where the cult has attempted to recreate Dracula's castle despite being warned against doing so by Arukado.

The gameplay here is pretty familiar in some ways. Kill enemies, gain levels, collect dropped equipment, and grind for souls, some of which drop at a frighteningly low rate. Gameplay occurs on the lower screen, and it's really nice to be able to toggle between the map and your stats and last enemy data on the top screen. Having the map up all the time makes it much easier to deal with navigating from one area to another. But this is a DS game and a sequel, so despite the sameness of the core mechanic, there's some new stuff in the mix. The first big change is that you can collect up to 9 souls from a creature, and the number of souls you have affects the power and nature of some of your attacks and abilities. Collect 9 skeleton souls and the bone you throw is larger and more damaging. This pushes players to not only collect souls but to bank them. The second major new mechanic is the necessity to upgrade weapons with souls. There are some weapons that can be bought, found on the map, or dropped by enemies, but they are mostly relatively basic and low-powered weapons. In order to unlock more powerful arms you must use souls to evolve these lower-power weapons. Some of the weapon paths are quite complicated and use rather difficult to obtain or rare, or even unique boss souls, to unlock. The third big change is that some unique gameplay elements have been added to use the touch screen. In one part of the map there's an arrangement of rooms you can adjust through a sliding block puzzle interface. There's also a soul power that lets you destroy certain blocks on-screen by touching them with the stylus. Finally, there are 5 magic seals in the game. Almost every boss is behind a magic door the requires one of the 5 seals to open. Once you defeat the boss, you then have to draw the seal accurately on the screen in order to seal the boss away. Fail to draw the seal correctly in the allotted time and the boss recovers some life and must be beaten down again.

While it is nice to have additional mechanics in a game that is otherwise rather similar to the previous title, these mechanics are actually at the root of the game's biggest problems. Now that souls are effectively currency in addition to abilities, grinding for souls can be even more frustrating. Wow, I got the rare iron golem soul! That sucker is HARD to kill and the drop rate sucks! Now I can sacrifice the soul and no longer have it's ability and upgrade my sword to do more damage! And if you've played any of the SotN-style Castlevania games, you know that constant weapon upgrades are necessary to stay current. Thankfully, the annoyingly elusive creatures found in Aria are gone. Instead there are 3 hidden creatures you can kill for their souls. There are little messages in the game that allude to their existence, and luring them out is a puzzle to solve. But once you know the solution you can easily keep doing it, and the drop rate for their souls isn't depressingly low. The touch screen content also introduce some problems. The block destruction mechanic is used sparingly and largely as a gating mechanism. The sliding block puzzle rooms area is just another thing to look up on-line because sliding puzzles are never worth it. And the magic seal mechanic is potentially the most frustrating of all if you don't deliberately practice the seals. When you defeat a boss there really isn't time to pull out the stylus, so you have to draw the seal with your finger, and you have to make sure to press down, because if you let off at the wrong time it decides you messed up and then you have to fight the boss longer. It sucks dying because you didn't remember the direction of a line or press down hard enough when drawing the seal.

It sounds like I'm being harsh, but there's some improvements over Aria as well. The music is much higher quality and some of the tunes are great. The DS also uses a lot of subtle 3D and warping effects to enhance some backgrounds. It's not quite as nice as SotN, but definitely impressive compared to other non-SotN titles in the series. The resolution of the DS screen is higher than the GBA, but still lower than the Playstation, so while there's more screen space than on the GBA it can still feel cramped in places. Color use is better than on the GBA and there is some great animation in play. Enemy art and design seems to be a mix of Aria and SotN. Many creatures appear in their SotN incarnations, and many new monsters are as well animated or better than SotN and Aria. The enemy design is probably the high point of the game. Level design is a mixed bag. There is no alternate castle (a good thing), and there is a semi-secret end-game area, much like the chaos realm in Aria but less disorienting to navigate. Normal castle areas, however, often suffer from uninspired or annoying room layouts and unnecessarily complex path navigation from one end of a larger room to the other. Perhaps there is some of this inherent to all these Castlevania titles, but it feels more annoying in this game for some reason. Only the upside-down castle in SotN was more frustrating to move through. There's a better variety of weapons in Dawn compared to Aria. Too bad you have to spend souls to unlock most of them. Most weapons feel slower than in previous games. The overhead weapons are particularly slow. Also, why does every game have to screw with the Valmanway? The end result is that I don't really have any weapon I just LOVE using in this game, unlike previous ones. There may be better weapons for particular purposes, but none of them are just super fun to use except maybe the thrown weapons. Those are fun, but also very low damage. I'll also give props to the story. It's not as cool as Aria of Sorrow, which had a fantastic story, but it's not bad at all. Soma is dragged back into a world he was trying to leave behind, some of his enemies are not who or what they appear, and there's again, a couple neat twists to the ending. There's also 3 different endings.

I enjoyed the game and for a mobile Castlevania title it's a visual and auditory treat, but the level design isn't quite as sharp as Aria or SotN's regular castle areas, the touch screen mechanics feel unnecessary and annoying, and the soul grinding aspect, already frustrating at times in Aria, is now even more frustrating due to the need to bank souls and sometime spend them on necessary weapon upgrades. I'll probably stick with the game a bit longer to try and 100% the souls and weapons, because I'm an addict like that, so clearly the flaws weren't enough to derail my enjoyment of the game. And I think if you played Aria and enjoyed it you'll probably enjoy Dawn of Sorrow as well. Just know that the changes aren't all good. I want to play the other two DS Castlevania games because I want to see where this model has gone from this point. It's clear that between Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow that this particular soul-collecting mode is tapped out. But hey, it was a really cool idea and it was used well, and now it's time to move on.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Skelerang + Throwing Sickle = Win.

Seriously, go try it out. Absolutely game-breaking.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Partridge Senpai's 2017 Beaten Games:

1. Tales of Hearts R (Vita)
2. UPPERS (Vita)
3. Volume (Vita)
4. Overlord: Minions (DS)
5. Kirby: Planet Robobot (3DS)
6. Overlord II (PS3)
7. Overlord: Dark Legend (Wii)
8. La-Mulana (Remake) (PC)
9. Infamous: Second Son (PS4)
10. htol#NiQ: The Firefly Diary (Vita)
11. Blood Bowl (360)
12. Dead to Rights: Retribution (360)
13. Bioshock Infinite (360)
14. Bioshock Infinite: Burial At Sea Part 1 (360)
15. Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea Part 2 (360)
16. Singularity (360)
17. Seifuku Densetsu Pretty Fighter X (Saturn)
18. Ultraman: Hikari No Kyojin Densetsu (Saturn)
19. Donkey Kong 64 (N64) (repeat)
20. Song of the Deep (PS4)
21. Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 3 (GCN)
22. Banjo-Tooie (N64) (repeat)
23. Wario Land (VB)
24. Yakuza HD Edition (PS3)
25. Yakuza 2 HD Edition (PS3)
26. Vanquish (PS3)
27. Watchdogs 2 (PS4)
28. Pikmin (Wii)
29. Pikmin 3 (Wii U)
30. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Wii U)
31. Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)
32. Tales of Innocence R (Vita)
33. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
34. Boing! Docomodake DS (DS)
35. Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS)
36. Magicka 2: Learn to Spell... AGAIN! (PS4) (repeat)
37. Pokemon Moon (3DS)
38. Pokemon Black 2 (DS)
39. Pokken Tournament (Wii U)
40. The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth + (Switch)
41. Dynasty Warriors: Gundam (360)
42. Saints Row (360)
43. Saints Row 2 (360)
44. Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell (PS3)

45. Shadow of Mordor (PS4)

The open world train keeps on a-truckin' as I go to Mordor instead of a city. Might keep this review a bit briefer, as not only has it been talked about a lot already, but I just don't have that much to say, probably because this game just does so much so okay.

The world is fairly big, but not too big. It's not a terribly long game, unless you wanna smack around Uruk captains all day (which is pretty fun, I'll admit). There are plenty of quick-travel points, and even on foot (as I didn't realize how quick-travel worked for a while) things never took too long to get to.

This is really another game where if you don't like the core gameplay loop, you're not going to enjoy the game. The sword, bow, and dagger quests were unique enough on their own that they were fun diversions, but rescuing the slaves is REALLY samey for something that has 24 missions. They're optional, sure, but it really felt like content padding. That combined with things like how (about) all of the characters are, and how lame the final confrontations are compared to the boss fight at the half-way mark really makes the game feel unfinished in terms of scope. Thankfully, the gameplay itself is serviceable enough to be quite fun.

The nemesis system, where your deaths are recognized by the orcs that kill you and they level up by completing challenges against each other as well as killing you, is quite cool. Even if the game were just messing with Uruk hierarchies, that'd still be lots of fun for me. My biggest complaint with the nemesis system, frankly, is that the game is just too damn easy for it to work. Like, it's really hard to have a persistent nemesis unless you just suck so much at the game that the same guy gets the drop on you like 4 or 5 times. I don't think I ever died to the same guy more than twice, and that was only one guy. The biggest time it comes up is with someone you didn't permanently kill comes back to taunt you yet again only to get butchered because he still has all the same weaknesses that led to his death the first time. For how much it had been talked up to me, it didn't really impress particularly.

There is some good fun to be had though. If you want Arkham City-type open world exploration (albeit in fields not a city) with Arkham-y combat in a Lord of the Rings setting, you're gonna absolutely love this game. The story is entertainingly presented enough that it's not boring, but it's hardly a masterwork of storytelling. The dwarf character is probably the best written character in the game, but that's partially along with the backstory you can pick up on via the collectible items, so take that for what you will. The setting, though, is very charmingly presented. The Uruks are just as surly and kinda cruely campy just like they are in the films, and any interaction with them is by far the highlight of the game (which is good, considering its the vast majority of it). The game does run really well though. On my normal PS4, I saw no loading or performance problems, at least that I remember (which is a nice change from the usual as of late, quite frankly :P ).

Verdict: Recommended. It's not the best paced or best planned video game in the world, but it's a pretty damn fine video game. You can generally get right into the action, don't gotta get too bogged down in the combat, and the Arkham-style combat fits well with the other combos and special moves you can do. It's a pretty fun way to spend a weekend, especially if you're a LotR fan.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
marurun

Post by marurun »

Sarge wrote:Skelerang + Throwing Sickle = Win.

Seriously, go try it out. Absolutely game-breaking.

Oh, I enjoyed that combo, but it just doesn't do enough damage. I am better off with the Valmanway. I didn't find sickle + skelerang to be game breaking at all.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

It didn't do a ton of damage, but it did enough, let you stay at a distance, and absolutely pepper bosses with shots. I found it extremely effective. That being said, the Valmanway is nuts, too.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

1. Phantasy Star II (GEN)
2. Guitar Hero (PS2)
3. Adventures of Lolo (NES)
4. Animal Crossing (GCN)
5. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
6. Beyond The Beyond (PS1)
7. R.B.I. Baseball (NES)
8. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (PS1)
9. GoldenEye: Rogue Agent (GCN)
10. Project Gotham Racing (XBOX)
11. Ristar (GEN)
12. Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64)
13. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
14. Pikmin (GCN)
15. Syberia (XBOX)
16. Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht (PS2)
17. Tetris Plus (PS1)
18. Metropolis Street Racer (DC)
19. Darkwing Duck (NES)
20. Marvel Vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes (PS2)
21. Ico (PS2)
22. Final Fantasy V (SNES)
23. Mega Man X (SNES)
24. Beyond Good & Evil (XBOX)
25. Beetle Adventure Racing! (N64)
26. Sonic Adventure (DC)

27. Giga Wing (DC)

I beat Giga Wing on the Sega Dreamcast this afternoon!

Every two weeks, I head up to a Pinball/Arcade with a friend of mine. Up there, they have several arcade machines that have a ton of Roms in them. Over the years of going up there, I have played hundreds to thousands of arcade games and that is where I have grown to love the Shoot'Em Up.

At one time, I went through the entire list and played the ones that I have loved the most. I remember Giga Wing being an absolute bonkers game and being so happy that it was ported to the Dreamcast. Of course, I added it to my list and eventually bought it for myself.

Much like other Capcom arcade ports, the game plays absolutely perfectly. There are absolutely no slowdowns and the game runs at a frenetic pace. It is exactly what you imagine Giga Wing to be from the arcade as the port is pure perfection.

Now, Giga Wing is a bullet hell game. I would say it is an easier Bullet Hell, but it is still a Bullet Hell. Thankfully, Capcom gave unlimited continues to make the game at least playable, but you will still die and you will die a lot. Besides a normal gun and bomb, you get a charge shield. In a few seconds, you can charge your shield then absorb the enemies bullets to shoot back at them to get emblems to increase your score.

And the score is the best part of the game as Giga Wing is absolutely insane. You increase your multiplier constantly throughout the game to the point where it is six digits long. You need a huge multiplier as my top score is now twelve digits long!

The characters are all unique and the setting is fun too. I wouldn't say it is for everyone, but if you love Shoot'Em Up games, then Giga Wing is a must purchase. It is absolutely crazy in the best way possible.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2017 So Far - 87
* denotes a replay

January (10 Games Beaten)
1. Persona 4 Arena - Playstation January 1
2. Chrono Trigger - SNES - January 7
3. Ys: The Vanished Omens - Master System - January 8
4. MUSHA - Genesis - January 10
5. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below - PlayStation 4 - January 11
6. Ys I - TurboGrafx-CD - January 13
7. Ys II - TurboGrafx-CD - January 14
8. Dragon Quest Builders - PlayStation 4 - January 23
9. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. School Girl/Zombie Hunter - PlayStation 4 - January 29

February (12 Games Beaten)
11. Fire Emblem Heroes - Android - February 3
12. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - Wii U - February 5
13. Dante's Inferno - PlayStation 3 - February 7
14. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - DS - February 11
15. Persona 4: Dancing All Night - Vita - February 12
16. Sniper Elite 4 - PlayStation 4 - February 17
17. Pony Quest - NES - February 19
18. Halo Wars 2 - Xbox One - February 22
19. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - PlayStation Portable - February 24
20. Hotline Miami - PlayStation 4 - February 26
21. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - Famicom - February 27
22. Bad Dudes - NES - February 28

March (6 Games Beaten)
23. Root Letter - PlayStation 4 - March 2
24. Vroom in the Night Sky - Switch - March 10
25. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch - March 17
26. Super Bomberman R - Switch - March 18
27. Super Mario Run - Android - March 24
28. I Am Setsuna - Switch - March 24

April (9 Games Beaten)
29. Mass Effect: Andromeda - PlayStation 4 - April 1
30. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army - PlayStation 4 - April 2
31. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2 - PlayStation 4 - April 2
32. New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers - Switch - April 3
33. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 3 - PlayStation 4 - April 4
34. Persona 5 - PlayStation 4 - April 17
35. Alienation - PlayStation 4 - April 18
36. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - PlayStation 4 - April 23
37. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - PlayStation 4 - April 29

May (14 Games Beaten)
38. Puyo Puyo Tetris - Switch - May 4
39. Fire Emblem Gaiden - Famicom - May 6
40. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Switch - May 6
41. Outlast II - PlayStation 4 - May 7
42. Dishonored - PlayStation 4 - May 10
43. Snipperclips: Cut it Out, Together! - Switch - May 12
44. Pikmin - Gamecube - May 12
45. Metal Slug - Neo Geo MVS - May 13*
46. Dariusburst CS: Chronicle Savior - PlayStation 4 - May 14
47. Batman: The TellTale Series - PlayStation 4 - May 17
48. Batman: Arkham VR - PlayStation 4 - May 18
49. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - 3DS - May 25
50. Farpoint - PlayStation 4 - May 27
51. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Xbox 360 - May 29

June (10 Games Beaten)
52. Star Trek: Bridge Crew - PlayStation 4 - June 2
53. The Walking Dead: A New Frontier - PlayStation 4 - June 3
54. Rebel Galaxy - PC - June 18
55. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II - Vita - June 20
56. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - PC - June 21*
57. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Spearhead - PC - June 21
58. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Breakthrough - PC - June 22
59. Aliens Versus Predator - PC - June 23
60. Army Men - PC - June 24*
61. Apartment 666 - PC - June 26

July (20 Games Beaten)
62. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist - Genesis - July 12*
63. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Hearts of Stone - PlayStation 4 - July 15
64. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine - PlayStation 4 - July 22
65. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - PlayStation 4 - July 24
66. Splatoon 2 - Switch - July 25
67. Kamiko - Switch - July 25
68. Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge - Xbox - July 26
69. Panzer Dragoon - Saturn - July 27*
70. Snake Pass - Switch - July 27
71. Buck Bumble - Nintendo 64 - July 28*
72. Castlevania - NES - July 29
73. Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - NES - July 29
74. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse - NES - July 29
75. Super Castlevania IV - SNES - July 30
76. Castlevania Adventure - Game Boy - July 30
77. Castlevania Adventure Rebirth - Wii - July 30
78. Contra Rebirth - Wii - July 31
79. Heavy Fire: Special Operations - Wii - July 31
80. Heavy Fire: Black Arms - Wii - July 31
81. Panzer Dragoon II Zwei - Saturn - July 31*

August (6 Games Beaten)
82. Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius - Steam - August 4
83. Panzer Dragoon Saga - Saturn - August 5
84. Sunrider: Liberation Day - Steam - August 6
85. Emily is Away - Steam - August 8
86. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys - SNES - August 19
87. Nights of Azure - PlayStation 4 - August 25

87. Nights of Azure - PlayStation 4 - August 25

Nights of Azure is a game that's been on my shelf since it came out in America a year and a half ago, but I hadn't gotten around to playing it until I read about the announcement that Nights of Azure 2 would be coming to Switch.  Loving any opportunity to support third party games - especially RPGs - on Nintendo platforms, I figured I should play the first game and decide if I wanted to buy its sequel on Switch.  I'd read the rather lukewarm reviews that it got critically before playing, so I went in somewhat skeptical but trying to keep an open mind.  While I don't really disagree with a lot of the criticisms that the game garnered, it does have some redeeming aspects.

Nights of Azure is an action RPG of the most mediocre quality.  Perhaps unsurprisingly given that it's a Koei Tecmo game, it plays a bit like a musou game (think Dynasty Warriors) but on a much smaller scale.  You play as a half-demon hunter, Arnice, tasked with protecting the newest "Saint," Lilysse, as she sacrifices herself to the Nightlord to prevent a never-ending night from damning the world.  It's pretty much the plot of the series primer of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic but with a human sacrifice instead of a weaponized friendship laser.  The game is broken into seven chapters, but there are a number of side quests that you can do as well.  As for combat, the only playable character is the main chick, but she can equip up to four familiars to summon to help her in combat.  These summons can be focused towards attacking, tanking, healing, or buffing/debuffing, and the type of the familiar you have set as your "leader" will largely determine what form your transformation takes.

While nothing about the game really screams "Wow, this is garbage," it doesn't really excel at anything.  The combat is alright, but it's nothing special; it feels like Dynasty Warriors on training wheels with 1/100 of the enemies.  The soundtrack is nice, but that's about the only part of the game that I'd rate as solidly "pretty good."  The visuals don't look like they've had much polish from the PS3 release aside from rendering at 1080p instead of 720p.  The story is okay, but it doesn't really do much to keep me hooked.  There's a lot of potential with the world and the lore, but they don't really explore it enough to use that potential.  The actual world map and nations' names are used, but the backstory of how the world got to the way it is in the game is completely neglected until the very end, and even then, it's only barely touched on at all.  The levels themselves - an important part of the game - feel really empty.  They serve the purpose, but they feel uninspired and like a house full of blank, white walls.  There's not a lot of embellishment, no accents or anything.  It feels like a place for action to happen rather than a world of which you're a part.

One of the most unexpected aspects of the game is how extraordinarily easy it is.  Up until the last boss, your options are pretty much "Do I use familiars and win easily?" or "Do I not use my familiars and win?"  Losing never really factors in there.  Keep in mind, though, that that situation is up until the final boss; the final boss is like a difficulty cliff.  I was level 8 (max is 10) getting to the final boss and steamrolled my way through everything - enemies in the dungeon, boss rush, whatever it threw at me - on my way to the finale.  I get there and get stomped like a bug.  I grind up to level 9, and I still get beaten pretty badly.  I grind my way up to the max level 10, and while I manage to beat the final boss, I have to keep an eye on my energy, my health, and my familiars' energy and health.  I never had to do that with any of the previous bosses.  It's not unheard of for an action RPG to require you, more or less, to reach max level - Ys games are famous for it - but it is much less common, at least in my experience, for the game to have so sudden a difficult spike right at the end.

All in all, Nights of Azure is a decent action RPG, and if you can find it for less than $15 or $20, I'd definitely say give it a shot if you're into that genre, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.  The visuals show that it's a port from a last-gen system, the story is just so-so, the environments feel uninspired, and the combat isn't anything special.  It's a competent game, but it's definitely not exemplary.  Even after finishing this one, I'm still undecided on whether or not I'll get the sequel on Switch.  I'll have to wait until closer to its October launch and see what critics are saying with regards to improvements over the shortcomings of the original.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

Previously beaten:
1/15: Aviary Attorney (Steam)
1/16: Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star (Steam)
1/27: Sweet Fuse: At Your Side (PSP)
1/31: Harmonia (Steam)
2/21: Yakuza 0 (PS4)
2/28: Cooking Mama: Cook Off (Wii)
3/17: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
3/22: Kirby Super Star (SNES)
4/6: Nier Automata (PS4)
5/11: Persona 3 Portable (PSP)
5/28: 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (Vita)
6/2: DOOM (GOG)
6/10: Utawarerumono (PC)
7/16: Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception (Vita)
7/16: Gardens Inc: From Rakes to Riches (Steam)
7/20: Mystic Inn (BigFish Games)

*NEW*
8/3: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch)
8/19: Persona 5 (PS4)
8/24: Astebreed (PS4)

Total: 19 games

Trying to be brief with these, so sorry if I gloss over a few things :|

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
I haven’t played that many Mario Kart games so I can’t really give too much opinion on whether this is the best Mario Kart game or not, but I can say that it’s super good. The new mechanic of having certain sections of track where you can go upside-down and loop around is super neat, plus there are a ton of tracks and characters to choose from. The battle modes are quite fun as well, even when I do get utterly destroyed by everybody else. Plus the game looks and sound great! Honestly I can’t really think of much to complain about, other than a few odd connection issues that sometimes occurred when playing online. If you haven’t played this game before and you have a Switch, I would highly suggest getting a copy of this!

Persona 5
Going into P5, I was a little worried that I wouldn’t like it as I didn’t really like P3P and P4 was awfully grindy, but my worries were all for nothing because P5 is amazing! Everything I remember not liking about P3P and P4 has been addressed here. Procedurally-generated dungeons have been mostly replaced with more interesting dungeons! The story often progresses while you’re in the dungeons, meaning less time passes with no story (which was annoying in P3P)! Battles are super quick! And best of all, Safety mode (which is an easier mode than Easy) means no grinding! In addition to all of that, the story was interesting and most of the characters were likeable too (only one I found annoying was Mishima). Plus the style of the whole game and the music is super good (battle music is so much better than P4). Honestly I can’t think of much to complain about. Only thing I can think of is that Mementos (the large procedurally-generated dungeon in the game) is kind of required to go through if you want to get the True ending (and maybe it’s required for other endings as well?). It didn’t bother me much since I was going through it gradually by doing all of the requests, but I can easily see someone ignoring those but then finding out that they have to go through all of Mementos in one huge run.

Overall, this easily is my favourite Persona game so far. If you liked P3 or P4 (and maybe even the other Persona games), then I think you’ll really like this one too!

Astebreed
I don’t play too many SHMUPs, so I don’t have a lot to compare to, but this game was such a crazy one-hour rush! There is so much on screen at any given moment, and even after beating a stage, the game quickly moves onto the next one. You do get a few anime cutscenes to break it up a few times, but most of the game goes lightning fast. Luckily you are given quite a few different moves to help you out, which is a bit different from other SHMUPs I’ve seen. In addition to your normal gun that shoots forward, you’ve got a sort of melee sword slash, a sword dash, and a lock-on thing that sends out your bullets to everything you’ve locked on to. All of these moves were really useful, so nothing went unused here.

I’m probably missing a few points, but I can’t think of what else to talk about haha. I guess I can say that I really enjoyed the game! I’m not sure if it’s a good SHMUP or not, but I liked it and that’s all I really cared about ha.