Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by Xeogred »

I don't think Until Dawn should be taken seriously at all. It came off as a pitfall of goofy 80's slasher tropes and all that to me. You wanted half the characters to die, like Jason ends up being the hero in Friday the 13th.

@Popo: The map issue and length of that game make me hesitant about it. Metroidvania is one of my favorite genres when done well, but I feel like the format kind of peaks at a 10 hour game or so. This one looks like 20+ from what I see on Steam reviews. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Segata wrote:Until Dawn

I love the idea of this game. I love slasher and horror films. None scare me but I love them anyway. I like the decision making. The QTE's for a game like this I didn't mind so much when normally I'd hate it. It's presented really well and is a nice looking game.

However.

MAJOR issues with it. This game is yet another Sony game blatantly ignorant about Native American cultures and once again someone with mental illness who suffered a tragedy automatically makes them a lunatic trope. It's ignorant to cannibalism. It's cliche and it's stereotypes I am tired of. That killed what would have been a good experience.

Wot m8? Let the history teacher educate you.

The entire premise of the game's cannibalism and windigos is straight out Algonquin legend. Besides that, VERY few native American groups ever practiced cannibalism, the Aztecs being the only major native power that did and even then only in ceremonial uses.

You're the ignorant one, not the game devs; the only thing Sony proved is that they DID do some research because, aside from some creative licence (it's not an educational game, after all), they portrayed native legends fairly accurately.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

1. Phantasy Star II (GEN)
2. Guitar Hero (PS2)
3. Adventures of Lolo (NES)
4. Animal Crossing (GCN)
5. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
6. Beyond The Beyond (PS1)
7. R.B.I. Baseball (NES)
8. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (PS1)
9. GoldenEye: Rogue Agent (GCN)
10. Project Gotham Racing (XBOX)
11. Ristar (GEN)
12. Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64)
13. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
14. Pikmin (GCN)
15. Syberia (XBOX)
16. Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht (PS2)
17. Tetris Plus (PS1)
18. Metropolis Street Racer (DC)
19. Darkwing Duck (NES)
20. Marvel Vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes (PS2)
21. Ico (PS2)
22. Final Fantasy V (SNES)
23. Mega Man X (SNES)

24. Beyond Good & Evil (XBOX)

I beat Beyond Good & Evil on the Microsoft XBOX this afternoon!

The PS2/GCN/XBOX generation really got me back into gaming. I discovered Final Fantasy X on my friend's PS2 and that just sealed the deal. I was getting into the industry around then and I was beginning to follow review sites and review shows.

For the longest time and even to this day, people were pumping up Beyond Good and Evil. And even though I had a PS2 for years, I just never bit on it. Finally, many years later, I pick up the original XBOX and I was going through games I wanted to purchase on the system. I decided then and there that I was going to buy Beyond Good and Evil and I'm glad I did.

I really enjoyed the characters and the atmosphere. The world that they created felt so alive and vivid. And I'm not one for creating characters based on gender/race/creed/whatnot just for the sake of it, but Jade felt like a real character. Not once did I think they were exploiting her or even doing anything special because she was a female. She was an interesting and great character first that just happened to be female and I liked that!

The music and graphics were also top notch with some vibrant colors along with some great voice acting as well.

I thought the stealth segments went a bit too long and some of the areas were rather annoying, but those were only tiny nitpicks.

Overall, much like Prince of Persia, Ubisoft was really fantastic in this generation and Beyond Good and Evil is another feather in their cap. It's a great stealth/action/adventure game that could be enjoyed by everybody. A very solid game!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Xeogred wrote:@Popo: The map issue and length of that game make me hesitant about it. Metroidvania is one of my favorite genres when done well, but I feel like the format kind of peaks at a 10 hour game or so. This one looks like 20+ from what I see on Steam reviews. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Length-wise I spent 16 hours, but a decent amount of that came from deaths. I died a LOT, as the fights are all very execution heavy and since the combat is primarily melee there isn't a lot of leeway. In terms of the overall size I'd say it's ~25% larger than Ori and the Blind Forest. Traversal is similar to Ori in terms of having lots of paths that require you to use the movement abilities, instead of just using them as a gate here and there like Super Metroid does (not counting all the challenge rooms to get some upgrade or another).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
You're the ignorant one, not the game devs; the only thing Sony proved is that they DID do some research because, aside from some creative licence (it's not an educational game, after all), they portrayed native legends fairly accurately.

Best friend is Native. I also live in Ute country. I'm also friends with a Cannibal and know what tribes are and why they do it. Cannibalism bothers me none because of that. Both hate the game for it's portrayal. It's still offensive to use it as yet another Native plot device that is often overused. Also it's more about eating of the spirit. The move Ravenous is awful but better about it than Until Dawn. Until Dawn is more of misrepresentation and misunderstanding. Until Dawn takes it literal. Yes you can relate it to an actual mental condition in physiology. Thing is in that culture it's more of a representation than a literal thing well not as literal as Until Dawn makes it. So yes they are ignorant to the real thing ans took it as literal eating of human flesh.

Natives in games are often either ignored (Horizon Zero Dawn) Misrepresented or used as Warriors or Curses and burial grounds. It's a problem. I'm not native but do have it in my family history(Cherokee). Use of Native curses n shit is cliche and still a stereotype as is the mental illness as someone with a few themselves and suffered severe tragedy I don't hallucinate and torture people but again someone used often as a plot device and written by someone who have no fucking god damn clue about it.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Xeogred wrote:I don't think Until Dawn should be taken seriously at all. It came off as a pitfall of goofy 80's slasher tropes and all that to me. You wanted half the characters to die, like Jason ends up being the hero in Friday the 13th.

@Popo: The map issue and length of that game make me hesitant about it. Metroidvania is one of my favorite genres when done well, but I feel like the format kind of peaks at a 10 hour game or so. This one looks like 20+ from what I see on Steam reviews. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

It's not a slasher game tho. The maniac isn't a killer at all. Just a "crazy" kid pulling JUST A PRANK BRO for Youtube.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

I would like to point out that the people in horizon zero dawn are not native americans. Tribal does not mean native american.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

You're friends with a cannibal? Mind giving a name? The FBI would love to have a chat with him, I'm sure; that shit is extraordinarily illegal and for good reason.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:I would like to point out that the people in horizon zero dawn are not native americans. Tribal does not mean native american.

+1
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

January:
1) The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (PC) (8.5) (1/1) (~5.5 hours)
2) ActRaiser (SNES) (8.0) (1/2) (~4 hours)
3) Bonk's Revenge (GB) (6.0) (1/3) (~1 hour)
4) Tiny Toon Adventures: Babs' Big Break (GB) (6.5) (1/3) (~1 hour)
5) Blackwell Legacy (PC) (7.0) (1/5) (2.6 hours)
6) Blackwell Unbound (PC) (7.5) (1/7) (2.2 hours)
7) Blackwell Convergence (PC) (8.0) (1/7) (2.4 hours)
8) Blackwell Deception (PC) (8.0) (1/8) (4.7 hours)
9) Blackwell Epiphany (PC) (9.0) (1/9) (6.5 hours)
10) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4) (8.0) (1/22) (~55 hours)
11) Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (360) (8.0) (1/28) (~.5 hours)
12) Deep Duck Trouble Starring Donald Duck (SMS) (6.5) (1/31) (~1 hour)

February:
13) Quackshot Starring Donald Duck (GEN) (7.5) (2/7) (~2 hours)
14) Fire Emblem Heroes (Android) (8.0) (2/9) (~10 hours)
15) Super C (NES) (9.5) (2/20) (~0.5 hours)
16) Contra (NES) (10.0) (2/20) (~0.5 hours)
17) Mickey's Dangerous Chase (GB) (6.5) (2/24) (~1 hour)
18) My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (3DS) (8.5) (2/25) (~19 hours)
19) Mega Man 2 (NES) (10.0) (2/28) (~0.8 hours)

March:
20) Final Fantasy XV (PS4) (8.0) (3/2) (~33 hours)
21) Blaster Master Zero (NS) (9.0) (3/10) (~6.5 hours)
22) Espgaluda II Black Label (360) (8.0?) (3/17) (0.5 hours)
23) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS) (9.5) (3/28) (~70+ hours)

April:
24) Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (PC) (8.5) (4/7) (~5.5 hours)
25) Hyper Light Drifter (PS4) (8.0) (4/9) (~8 hours)
26) Gekido Advance: Kintaro's Revenge (GBA) (7.5) (4/16) (~3 hours)
27) Vanquish (PS3) (8.5) (4/17) (~7 hours)
28) Journey (PS3) (6.0) (4/19) (~2 hours)
29) GunForce (SNES) (4.0) (4/22) (~20 minutes)
30) GunForce 2 (ARC) (7.0) (4/23) (~30 minutes)
31) GunForce: Battle Fire Engulfed Terror Island (ARC) (6.0) (4/23) (~20 minutes)
32) Mighty Final Fight (NES) (8.5) (4/29) (~30 minutes)

May:
33) Final Fantasy V (SFC) (6.0) (5/1) (~33 hours)
34) Super Adventure Island (SNES) (7.0) (5/2) (~1 hour)
35) Dragon Spirit: The New Legend (NES) (7.5) (5/3?) (~30 minutes)
36) Mighty No. 9 (PS4) (5.0) (5/6?) (~5 hours)
37) Contra III: The Alien Wars (Hard) (SNES) (8.5) (5/11) (~1 hour)
38) Operation C (GB) (7.5) (5/22) (~1 hour)

June:
39) Super Dodge Ball (NES) (9.5) (6/1) (~15 minutes)
40) Bare Knuckle III (GEN) (7.5) (6/3) (~1 hour)
41) Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) (9.5) (6/5) (~30 minutes)
42) Wizards & Warriors X: Fortress of Fear (GB) (4.0) (6/8) (~1 hour)
43) Castlevania: The Adventure (GB) (3.5) (6/9) (~1 hour)
44) Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King (PC) (8.0) (6/15) (~8.5 hours)
45) Streets of Rage (GEN) (9.0) (6/17) (~45 minutes)
46) Ghouls 'N Ghosts (GEN) (6.5) (6/17) (~4 hours)
47) Contra: Hard Corps (GEN) (8.5) (6/18) (~50 minutes)
48) Mighty Gunvolt Burst (NS) (7.5) (6/23) (~3 hours?)
49) Exile's End (PC) (8.0) (6/24) (~5 hours)

July:
50) Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4) (8.5) (7/1) (16h53m)
51) Pharaoh Rebirth+ (PC) (8.0) (7/3) (7 hours)
52) Jackal (NES) (9.0) (7/9) (45 minutes)
53) Golden Axe III (NES) (2.5) (7/9) (~45 minutes)

Jackal is an absolute classic. Not much better on the NES in its style. Peak Konami stuff. It's been a while since I went through. Well, maybe not a while, but long enough to get my head handed to me in the last stage and cough up all those extra lives I had. Got to the last boss with none left... and proceeded to actually beat it. I don't think I've ever done that before, but it's definitely a great feeling when you go into clutch mode.

And then there's Golden Axe III. I didn't screw up when I said NES, I played the Chinese pirate version. It's pretty terrible, but in a quaint sort of way. As bad as the hit detection is, there's still a bit of a rule on how it all works, so you can do pretty well. And magic is really powerful, insta-killing any non-boss enemy. At least that was the case with the warrior woman. A weird, but strangely enjoyable run through an objectively bad game.