Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by Ack »

Xeogred wrote:Jesus Christ. That last level was utterly amazing. AN HOUR OF PURE SERIOUS BULLET CARNAGE I COULDN'T EVEN HEAR MY PODCAST PLAYING IN BETWEEN THE NUCLEAR CHAOS AND DESTRUCTION. PRESS TRIGGER, HOLD, AND RUN. 1073 KILLS ON THE LAST LEVEL.

CORRIDOR OF DEATH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWrCF_j2lLU

Dude, I'm telling you, try it with 8-man multiplayer with proportional enemies spawning in. Just imagine 8 times the number of enemies you faced while everyone in the room is shouting their heads off, bullets are flying in all directions, everything is exploding, your buddies are getting fragged left and right, you're circle-strafing and hoping you don't get smacked from behind like a little bitch, and then you pull out the big cannon and mow down whatever stands in front of you until you're empty. Then you change guns and keep firing until you're empty of just about everything, and you're not even halfway done yet.

You know how you get through a situation like that, Xeogred?

Balls. Pure fucking balls.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

alienjesus wrote:Wonder Boy 3 aswell - I much prefer the PSG version of Sidecrawlers dance (the best song in the game imo).

Just listened. Good god, is that FM version HORRENDOUS or what?

I think there's just something about the timbre of the PSG that doesn't sit well with me. Kinda like some folks think cilantro tastes like soap.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

TSTR wrote:
alienjesus wrote:Wonder Boy 3 aswell - I much prefer the PSG version of Sidecrawlers dance (the best song in the game imo).

Just listened. Good god, is that FM version HORRENDOUS or what?

I think there's just something about the timbre of the PSG that doesn't sit well with me. Kinda like some folks think cilantro tastes like soap.

It certainly loses something from the PSG version.

The general pitch of the PSG is what puts so many people off I think. It's quite a high register it uses.

I also love the taste of Coriander/Cilantro a lot, so take that as you will.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Cilantro is great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DWqgNlfzOs

Fun fact: did you know that one's perception of how cilantro tastes and smells is genetic?
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Ack wrote:
Xeogred wrote:Jesus Christ. That last level was utterly amazing. AN HOUR OF PURE SERIOUS BULLET CARNAGE I COULDN'T EVEN HEAR MY PODCAST PLAYING IN BETWEEN THE NUCLEAR CHAOS AND DESTRUCTION. PRESS TRIGGER, HOLD, AND RUN. 1073 KILLS ON THE LAST LEVEL.

CORRIDOR OF DEATH

Dude, I'm telling you, try it with 8-man multiplayer with proportional enemies spawning in. Just imagine 8 times the number of enemies you faced while everyone in the room is shouting their heads off, bullets are flying in all directions, everything is exploding, your buddies are getting fragged left and right, you're circle-strafing and hoping you don't get smacked from behind like a little bitch, and then you pull out the big cannon and mow down whatever stands in front of you until you're empty. Then you change guns and keep firing until you're empty of just about everything, and you're not even halfway done yet.

Be a man and play four player splitscreen and bind all controls to the same buttons. Then your friends getting killed left and right are different screens on your monitor. It makes it even more nuts.

Sadly the last Serious Sam is not good.
Ack

Post by Ack »

fastbilly1 wrote:Sadly the last Serious Sam is not good.

But the hacked version with the unkillable super scorpion chasing you down is God tier.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Yep, my problem with the SMS sound chip is the distinct lack of bass. I also usually have problems with NES games that don't use it much, either, but at least that chippy can actually do decent bass.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Ack wrote:

CORRIDOR OF DEATH

CANNON BALLS
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

1. Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour (PC)
2. Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter* (PC)
3. Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter (PC)
4. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (PC)

* replay

If you liked Deadly Premonition you'll love this.

Was worth grabbing on a Steam sale, but yeah like everyone says the director has stepped down from Access Games (and game development in general I think) and the cliffhanger is downright hilariously bad. But what's there is a cool concept and some fun characters with a great style. Just know that it's never going to be complete... lol. I clocked in about 4 hours.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Ack wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:Sadly the last Serious Sam is not good.

But the hacked version with the unkillable super scorpion chasing you down is God tier.

It is just brilliant.

For those who dont know, the last Serious Sam game starts out super slow paced and very similar to Call of Duty 4 era shooters. However it eventually goes crazy and brings in the masses like the classic SS games. It is a difficult game, because it tries to be a "more modern" frantic shooter but it really just hinders you by equipping you with COD4 like weapons in a Serious Sam world. However the game was leaked early and people complained about the games difficulty, specifically about the unkillable gold scorpion. Well the developers put in the most clever bit of anti piracy of the era. If a checksum doesnt match, after the tutorial this gold scorpion chases you down. It is immortal and super quick. But this lead to fans modding it into the real game, though slowed down. So if you really want an interesting take on Serious Sam, you can play through it with an immortal stalker always chasing you.

Sadly, it does not make the base game better.