Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
User avatar
Xeogred
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 14385
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:49 pm
Location: KC

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Xeogred Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:26 pm

I'd love to know if anyone here was able to get into Kid Icarus after playing Metroid. I think it's safe to say Metroid permanently ruined my chances of ever liking it. The few times I've attempted to play it I get bored minutes in.
User avatar
Exhuminator
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 am

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Exhuminator Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:06 pm

Markies wrote:Overall, Crash Bandicoot is not exactly a bad game, but I wouldn't consider it a good one either. It is mediocre at best.

I never understood the appeal of Crash Bandicoot. As a mascot he's plain retarded and the games were as you said "mediocre at best". But kudos to you for sticking with it and finishing the game.
Xeogred wrote:I'd love to know if anyone here was able to get into Kid Icarus after playing Metroid.

Even though the two games share a lot of the same development staff, Metroid is just miles ahead in every way. I only beat Kid Icarus because it was kind of a white whale for me. It wasn't for the sake of entertainment.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
User avatar
Xeogred
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 14385
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:49 pm
Location: KC

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Xeogred Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:45 pm

Crash is cool. Check out the Jak series if you want mediocre.

Yeah, the few times I went into Kid Icarus was solely because it *looks* kind of cool and similar to Metroid. But the moment you realize you can't go back down and they have those weird side rooms ... I'm out.
User avatar
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11225
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:26 pm
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:01 pm

Everyone here is crazy.

Kid Icarus is a good game, and you can still enjoy it even if you have already played Metroid. (It is probably too hard for most people, though...)

Crash Bandicoot games are fine, and he was a fine PS1 mascot.

Jak & Daxter is a good game that is still fun. I played it a couple of years ago - and after playing after, much better 3D platformers - and I still enjoyed my time with it.
User avatar
Markies
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1080
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:29 pm
Location: St. Louis, Missouri

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Markies Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:23 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
Markies wrote:Overall, Crash Bandicoot is not exactly a bad game, but I wouldn't consider it a good one either. It is mediocre at best.

I never understood the appeal of Crash Bandicoot. As a mascot he's plain retarded and the games were as you said "mediocre at best". But kudos to you for sticking with it and finishing the game.


Thank You!

There were plenty of times that I wanted to give up, but I kept persevering. It's enjoyable once you have memorized the levels, but getting to that point and saving make it painful. I've heard the second one is easier and has a better save system, so that might be interesting.

Exhuminator wrote:
Xeogred wrote:I'd love to know if anyone here was able to get into Kid Icarus after playing Metroid.

Even though the two games share a lot of the same development staff, Metroid is just miles ahead in every way. I only beat Kid Icarus because it was kind of a white whale for me. It wasn't for the sake of entertainment.


I own Kid Icarus and Metroid. I have beaten Metroid, but not Kid Icarus.

I'll be very curious to see what the game is like when I get around to it. From what I have heard, the game is much easier after the first level. I've played a little bit of it and it's not too bad, just very hard.
Image
User avatar
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6770
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:16 pm
Location: Farmington Hills, MI

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by BogusMeatFactory Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:47 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Everyone here is crazy.

Kid Icarus is a good game, and you can still enjoy it even if you have already played Metroid. (It is probably too hard for most people, though...)

Crash Bandicoot games are fine, and he was a fine PS1 mascot.

Jak & Daxter is a good game that is still fun. I played it a couple of years ago - and after playing after, much better 3D platformers - and I still enjoyed my time with it.


I am with you on all fronts. I beat Jak and Daxter a few years ago and had a blast with it. Don't see the problems with it.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
User avatar
Exhuminator
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 am

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Exhuminator Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:31 am

Image
19. Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters | Game Boy | platformer | 1991 | 1h 28m | 7/10

Image

Five years after the release of Kid Icarus, Nintendo and Tose returned to the franchise with a Game Boy sequel; Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters. Honestly this sequel is such a rehash of the original, it might as well be considered a remake. Game designer Masafumi Sakashita went a long way to try and fix everything wrong with the original Kid Icarus. Mostly, he and his team succeeded. Balancing, level design, jump mechanics, and plenty more have been patched up for the better. But one new flaw remains; the bosses are complete arrow sponges taking far too many hits to kill. But that's a small distraction from the otherwise cakewalk of a platformer KI:OMaM is. That's right, the legendary difficulty of Kid Icarus is nowhere to be found in its sequel (but at least the last boss puts up a fight here). As a sequel, KI:OMaM manages to exceed its progenitor, but still failed to rejuvenate the franchise (it wasn't even released in Japan). The Game Boy has plenty of platformers that outclass KI:OMaM, but taken on its own this is a fairly fun flight of fancy.
Image
Image
Image
Image
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
User avatar
MrPopo
Moderator
 
Posts: 23233
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:01 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by MrPopo Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:40 am

I still don't know how they managed to so utterly cock up Mega Man's design in that show. With Simon you're going off a generic human sprite and generic barbarian box art, so I can see why they spruced it up so it wouldn't look like a He-Man ripoff. But I still don't understand how they went from blue to green, unless it was one of those blue/green distinction language things with an overseas animator and they didn't give enough of a shit upon seeing the first test cells to point out the error.
Image
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
User avatar
Sarge
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7276
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Sarge Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:45 am

And Specter of Torment is done. I'll try to write more about it tomorrow. Suffice it to say, I enjoyed it. Some small-ish gripes, and still not quite as good as the main campaign, but seriously, Yacht Club. This is a ridiculous amount of content.
User avatar
Exhuminator
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 am

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Exhuminator Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:49 am

MrPopo wrote:I still don't know how they managed to so utterly cock up Mega Man's design in that show.

The visor thing always got me, I mean... he doesn't have a visor in the NES games.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests