Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by alienjesus »

Exhuminator wrote:I consider the D&D beat 'em ups to be about as close to "Arcade RPG" as I've ever seen.

Give Gauntlet IV a try sometime, as that's basically an arcade game made into an RPG. A bit different, but still cool.

Cadash is one I've been meaning to get to, but I have it in Japanese. Is there a guide or anything I can use to help me understand whats going on?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

There isn't much out there as far as guides go.

There isn't a ton of dialogue, thankfully. The only menus that present themselves are at inns and shops. Always stay at the inns, buy every item you can (they are used automatically), and just say "yes" to all weapons and armor at the armory. You'll only be allowed to buy those your character is allowed to equip and they're equipped automatically.

In other words, you shouldn't run into any logistical issues if you don't know Japanese, but you will miss out on the story.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:There isn't much out there as far as guides go.

There isn't a ton of dialogue, thankfully. The only menus that present themselves are at inns and shops. Always stay at the inns, buy every item you can (they are used automatically), and just say "yes" to all weapons and armor at the armory. You'll only be allowed to buy those your character is allowed to equip and they're equipped automatically.

In other words, you shouldn't run into any logistical issues if you don't know Japanese, but you will miss out on the story.

Sounds simple enough. Maybe I'll beat some PC Engine games soon. Been meaning to try and finish Valis 4, Parasol Stars and Star Parodier soon too.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Yoshi's Island

Its been a goal of mine for a while do to a complete, 100% run of this game, and I've finally managed to do that. I had always considered this the best platformer on the console, and this playthrough only strengthened that feeling.

I'm sure most here have played it to some extent, so instead of going on about its glory, I'll just speak to the aspects unique to a complete run, the bonus levels.

Holy hell.

Some of these aren't too bad, but there were a couple that honestly feel more akin to Kaizo Mario or Mario Maker stuff than Nintendo-developed platforming. B-2 in particular is fantastic, requiring the tightest squeeze of timing to continuously hit switches. Missing one basically removes the flooring from the entire stage. B-5 was a nightmare (mostly because I suck at skiing in this game), and took me several hours to complete. B-6 is more relaxed, but presents what is probably the most interesting puzzle in the game. There are even unique enemies in these bonus stages!

Playing the game overall in this fashion is extremely enjoyable, as it feels the focus of the design was for it to be played this way, just with enough slack in the rope to allow an enjoyable experience without going for completion. If you shoot for that 100 though, the game is surprisingly tough, tightly designed, and still gives room to allow for some really ninja moves with the egg ricochets and air flutters.

Contra 3

It had also been my goal to finish this game on default settings/Normal. Absolutely killer game throughout. Stage 3 is so glorious with its back-to-back set pieces and boss encounters. Stage 4 is ridiculous and straight out of an action movie. And the final stretch of the game is amazing. I love that this game has just enough rng to keep a run interesting even after the player becomes familiar with it. Can't wait to dig into Hard Mode.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

dunpeal2064 wrote:I'll just speak to the aspects unique to a complete run, the bonus levels. Holy hell. Some of these aren't too bad, but there were a couple that honestly feel more akin to Kaizo Mario or Mario Maker stuff than Nintendo-developed platforming.

Dude, go beat Yoshi's Island DS. Its latter half makes the bonus levels of Yoshi's Island look like child's play. I'm only speaking about difficulty here, not properly fun level design. Yoshi's Island DS is not a good game.
dunpeal2064 wrote:Contra 3

Glad you enjoyed it. Contra 3 is my favorite Contra. It seems to be a bit underappreciated around these parts from what I've seen.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Ranking time!

Contra (NES)
Contra 3
Contra 4
Operation C
Contra: Shattered Soldier
Contra: Hard Corps.
Super Contra (NES)
Super Contra (Arcade)
Contra (Arcade)

(I haven't played Contra ReBirth, Neo Contra, the portable versions of Contra 3, or the PS1 abominations.)
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Tue May 09, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Ranking time!

Contra (NES)
Contra 3
Contra 4
Operation C
Super Contra (NES)
Super Contra (Arcade)
Contra (Arcade)

(I haven't played Contra ReBirth, Neo Contra, the portable versions of Contra 3, or the PS1 abominations.)

No Hard Corps?

Contra 3 stands above them all for me as well, though I have yet to play Shattered Soldier or the arcade games. I also need to more thoroughly explore HC

Exhuminator wrote:Dude, go beat Yoshi's Island DS. Its latter half makes the bonus levels of Yoshi's Island look like child's play.

That is shocking. I gave up on it after realizing its lack of quality, but I may have to persist just to experience this.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Contra (NES)
Contra 3
Contra 4
Operation C
Super Contra (NES)
Super Contra (Arcade)
Contra (Arcade)

Oof that's hard.

Contra 3 would be at the top for me. Followed by the original Contra, and then Hard Corps.
dunpeal2064 wrote:I have yet to play Shattered Soldier

You haven't even PLAYED Shattered Soldier, and you put it on your JJC list? :shock: You poor brave soul. Shattered Soldier is... something else.
Exhuminator wrote:That is shocking. I gave up on it after realizing its lack of quality, but I may have to persist just to experience this.

Yes Yoshi's Island DS is not a good game. But it is a trolling kick you in the nads game. I think you can handle it, don't get me wrong. But you won't have an easy time.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I missed Hard Corps.! I edited my post to add it right above Super Contra. It is a cool game, but it is too hard...
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Exhuminator wrote:You haven't even PLAYED Shattered Soldier, and you put it on your JJC list? :shock: You poor brave soul. Shattered Soldier is... something else.

I haven't played Act Raiser 2 either :lol: I figured picking hard games I've never played would be a good challenge. May have set the bar a bit high from the sound of it.