Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Oh I understand how hard Sega stuff is to find in Japan. I went to at least a dozen Book-offs (a very large media resale chain) around the country back when I visited there for a school trip in 2013, and I saw maybe a shelf's worth of anything Sega the whole time. Compared to the hundreds and hundreds of PS2, SFC, and Famicom games I saw, I was very dissapointed in how I found like NOTHING. What I did find was almost always Saturn stuff, though.

Also, it's not a matter of the Japanese versions of those ports being expensive, it's a matter of that they weren't released: Were never made: Don't exist :cry: . I guess they just didn't see the market to ever bother publishing any of them over there ;A;
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

alienjesus wrote:I can see that. It might sound weird but I get a distinct 'Sonic 3' vibe from Bare Knuckle 3, both in terms of the game design of 'adding more stuff to mix stuff up' and in terms of the visual design of 'redraw stuff and make things look a bit darker'. That's what I mean when I stated that I can definitely see people areguing for either Streets of Rage 2 or 3 for better game.

I'd also predict that, like me, a lot of people who prefer the 2nd game would be fans of Sonic 2 over 3 because I feel like they offer up a lot of the same ideas - simplicity, polishing up of the formula, brighter. I wouldn't be surprised if fans of the later era Sega stuff like Comix Zone and Sonic 3 prefer Bare Knuckle 3 though!

Oh, I completely agree with you!

I love SoR2 and Sonic 2, but SoR3 and Sonic 3 are only good in my book. When it goes to the Mega Drive, there are almost 3 different eras. You have the early Arcade type games, the middle refined games and the boundary pushing later games. I rather like the middle games the best, so that is why I gravitate towards the middle games.

I also felt the same about Castlevania 3 on the NES. I kind of felt like it was doing a bit too much at one time. I think it is still fantastic, but adding too much took away from the fun factor and the simplicity of the first two games.

Sarge wrote:Y'all have me contemplating importing a copy. I have the US version, and I've never liked it not because of the feel, but just because of how unfair it is. Great writeup.

EDIT: Checked the price, noooooope.

Obviously, there are questions regarding what you feel like, but both the American SoR3 and Bare Knuckle 3 are very expensive. I bought a Repro of Bare Knuckle 3 and it was only $40.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Well, I have the US version. I can always flash cart the Japanese version. I just thought it might be cheaper...
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

alienjesus wrote:So I heard about the character Ash being removed, being a fairly offensive parody of a camp gay man.

I won't act like I knew about this as a kid, but made the connection a few years ago. Wouldn't be surprised if he's basically Hard Gay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masaki_Sumitani

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTT59a9R7K8

You're welcome.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Hey, Hard Gay is a national treasure.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

1. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
2. Gyromite (NES)
3. Lucy -The Eternity She Wished For- (Steam)
4. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (Famicom)
5. Radical Dreamers (SNES)
6. Video Games 1 (TI-99/4A)
7. Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken (Famicom)
8. Exile (TurboGrafx CD)
9. Exile: Wicked Phenomenon (TurboGrafx CD)
10. Xak (PC Engine CD, Xak I・II)
11. Xak II (PC Engine CD, Xak I・II)
12. Neutopia (TurboGrafx-16)
13. Captain Silver (Sega Master System)
14. Märchen Veil (Famicom Disk System)
15. Vanguard (Atari 2600)
16. Kangaroo (Atari 2600)
17. Front Line (Atari 2600)
18. Mario Bros. (Atari 2600)
19. Harmonia (Steam)
20. Donkey Kong (Atari 2600)
21. Jungle Hunt (Atari 2600)
22. Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes (TurboGrafx CD)
23. Gorf (Atari 2600)
24. Neutopia II (TurboGrafx-16)
25. Dungeon Magic (PlayStation 2, Taito Legends 2)
26. The Lost Vikings (SNES)
27. Blue's Journey (Wii Virtual Console)
28. Wizard Fire (Wii, Data East Arcade Classics)
29. Super Mario Run (Android)
30. Dragon Warrior II (NES)
31. Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure (GOG.com)
32. Witch & Hero (Nintendo eShop)

So I don't intentionally play bad games. But the Nintendo Life review of this particular title piqued my interest. See, the reviewer said something incredibly contradictory, namely that Witch & Hero was:

1. Pretty crappy and,
2. Utilized the bump system in combat

Now, obviously there was some error made here. No bump system game has ever been bad. So, maybe the game is good and/or the game doesn't actually use the bump system? I had to find out!

Okay, there's a lot of bumping. And the game isn't bad per se, but it's incredibly tedious.
Witch & Hero, available on the 3DS eShop, comes to us courtesy of CIRCLE Entertainment, a publisher who has managed to crank out quite a few "retro" games these past few years. Like most CIRCLE titles, Witch & Hero sports a pseudo-8-bit look accompanied by chiptune-y music. Neither element is outstanding, but merely utilitarian.

Conceptually, the gameplay is pretty interesting. Witch & Hero is like a cross between a tower defense game and an action-RPG. The protagonist is the "hero": a knight seeking revenge on Medusa, who has turned his witch companion to stone. Said witch is being dragged along for the ride, as she can occasionally rise from her slumber to unleash devastating magical attacks.

Stages consist of a single screen with the stone witch placed dead-center. Enemies slowly approach from all sides, and it's the hero's job to vanquish them before they damage the witch. Both the witch and hero have a health bar, though Game Over only occurs when the witch's HP reaches zero. The hero merely becomes stunned momentarily, and the duration of said stun can be shortened by rocking around the thumbstick. Combat is a bit more akin to Hydlide than Ys, in that the bumping is less strategic and there's no way to defeat an enemy without also taking some damage yourself.

XP and money are not gained automatically, as they are represented by gems left by slain enemies. In later stages the hero can also collect blood: when given to the witch she'll unleash a wind or fire attack. There's also a "holy sword" attack boost that can be utilized, though I'm not sure if its appearance is triggered by loss of HP or the number of hits the hero doles out.

The hero gains levels after certain XP totals are reached, this mainly results in a HP boost. Attack, defense, speed, and magic upgrades must be purchased at a store that can be accessed any time between stages.
There's a good amount of strategy required here, mainly the constant weighing of risks vs. rewards. Run around and collect gems for upgrades or stay close and protect the witch? Give the witch the blood now, or wait until stronger enemies (possibly) appear? The developers threw in some unexpected tricky elements too. Some enemies drop chests with extra goodies, but these take multiple hits to open so precious time can be lost while doing so. Also, leaving chests hanging around will slow down certain foes that have to walk "through" them. Then there are the bosses, which are mainly larger and stronger versions of the regular enemies. A level ends whenever a boss (or bosses) is slain, but standard bad guys will still trickle out after the boss makes an appearance, so it can be smart to "juggle" the boss a bit, keeping it away from the witch, while taking out additional enemies for the XP and money.

I would have enjoyed the game quite a bit had success been determined by strategy and some small amount of level-grinding. Unfortunately, Witch & Hero requires a tremendous amount of grinding. As in, be prepared to play each stage 5-10 times to prep for the next. It's excruciatingly dull, and there's no way to "speed up" the grinding, even after significant XP gains are made, as the boss appearance is based on a timer so the net time duration of a given stage never changes. Thankfully, the game is on the 3DS so it's easy enough to play it "mindlessly" whilst watching TV or whatever. As such, I'd recommend staying away from the Steam port in favor of the handheld original.

This is wasted potential, essentially. A cool concept that takes a backseat to needless repetition. When I found myself playing the game proper, I had fun. But these moments were all too fleeting. There is a sequel, which I purchased alongside this game, which appears to be marginally better. Apparently, you can even move the witch! I'll get to that someday. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna play a 16-bit RPG. I heard there was no grinding in those.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

20. Kid Icarus: Uprising | 3DS | TPS | 2012 | 8h 26m | 8/10

ImageImage

It only took about a quarter century for Nintendo to make a good Kid Icarus game, but we finally have one with Uprising. Masahiro Sakurai lead a team to create one of the most imaginative third person shooters ever made. Amazing graphics push the 3DS' namesake 3D effect to new heights, while top tier voice acting constantly entertains the ears. Series referential meta-humor brings the laughs as you take down boss after boss. Kid Icarus: Uprising is truly a top shelf 3DS game, despite the less than ideal control scheme and overly long playtime.

--

Alrighty then, I finished the Kid Icarus trilogy. Now it's finally time to take on...
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I tried Uprising at PAX East several years ago. Before release or just around it? Hated the controls. :?

That Demon's Souls pic sent me over to GameFAQs. I guess they have an "Unforgiving" rating one step above "Tough." Games assigned this rating include the likes of Ghosts 'n Goblins, The Lost Levels, Exile: Wicked Phenomenon, Magician Lord, and Falcom's very own "classic" Romancia (#1 hardest NES game apparently!).

(Yes I know all this data is user-submitted and not exactly "accurate" or reliable... still amusing.)
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I tried Uprising at PAX East several years ago. / Hated the controls.

Yeah a lot of folks did, you're not in the minority. My experience with FPS games on the DS made me instantly familiar with the gist of it. However the on foot sections' controls are way worse than the aerial rail shooting. Mainly in the way that you move the camera around Pit, it's just dumb. When you feel the need to release a bonus peripheral with a game just so that people can control it, you might have a problem. But still, the great graphics, genuinely funny narrative, and constant sense of innovation made putting up with the controls worth it.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Uprising is probably right at the top of my list of short games I just need to sit down and finish. I liked it, so I didn't really have any reason to not finish it when I bought it back around launch Xp
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me