Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by fastbilly1 Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:02 pm

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:the game is, at its heart, a cartography simulator, and between charting my maps and filling out my Hyrule Compendium, I often feel more like an explorer than an adventurer.

I don't know if you read my Miasmata review or not, but if you enjoy cartography (and exploration), you owe it to yourself to play Miasmata. The mapping system in that game is light years beyond anything else I've seen. You have to actually use triangulation and orienteering in a legitimate fashion to fill in your map.

I haven't mapped that hardcore since Etrian Odyssey. :lol:

---

We now return this thread to it's regularly scheduled BotW adulation.

Oh yeah, Miasmata is incomparable when it comes to mapping a landscape. Although Breath of the Wild still has a fun... more gamey way of mapping, especially if you use the pro UI. Having to use your sheikah slate to look around and make checkpoints only visible let via said sheikah slate telescope makes it fun to try and navigate the wilderness and use high ground.

Well you two just sold me on Miasmata. I literally spent last weekend mapping a cave system, this is so up my alley.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:04 pm

fastbilly1 wrote:Well you two just sold me on Miasmata. I literally spent last weekend mapping a cave system, this is so up my alley.

Feel free to go back a couple pages and read my glowing review.

But you don't have to just take my word for it:

https://kotaku.com/miasmata-is-the-best ... 1777578280
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:04 pm

[quote="Fragems"]1. VVVVVV (Vita)
2. Firewatch (PS4)
3. Watchdogs (PS4) replay
4. Watchdogs 2 (PS4)
5. Adr1ft (PS4)
6. Call of Duty Infinite Warfare (PS4)

Call of Duty Infinite Warfare

So yeah it's another call of duty except this time your in a future with space travel :lol: . Story is pretty solid and I was super surprised by all the side missions that popped up until... I realized that there were only 4-5 "main" missions so these side missions were actually the meat of the campaign just chopped up in such a manner that you could tackle them in any order you like or just skip them entirely :P. The game also has a lot more flying sections which while much improved over the past CoD games were still somewhat clunky to me at least they went by pretty fast though.

All in all gun play is good, graphics and set pieces look great as usual, and the story starts off strong although it ends up being pretty weak in the end. At $20 or less it's worth giving a try but it's not as impressive as I initially thought it was going to be after the first few missions.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:32 pm

1. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
2. Gyromite (NES)
3. Lucy -The Eternity She Wished For- (Steam)
4. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (Famicom)
5. Radical Dreamers (SNES)
6. Video Games 1 (TI-99/4A)
7. Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken (Famicom)
8. Exile (TurboGrafx CD)
9. Exile: Wicked Phenomenon (TurboGrafx CD)
10. Xak (PC Engine CD, Xak I・II)
11. Xak II (PC Engine CD, Xak I・II)
12. Neutopia (TurboGrafx-16)
13. Captain Silver (Sega Master System)
14. Märchen Veil (Famicom Disk System)
15. Vanguard (Atari 2600)
16. Kangaroo (Atari 2600)
17. Front Line (Atari 2600)
18. Mario Bros. (Atari 2600)
19. Harmonia (Steam)
20. Donkey Kong (Atari 2600)
21. Jungle Hunt (Atari 2600)
22. Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes (TurboGrafx CD)
23. Gorf (Atari 2600)
24. Neutopia II (TurboGrafx-16)
25. Dungeon Magic (PlayStation 2, Taito Legends 2)
26. The Lost Vikings (SNES)
27. Blue's Journey (Wii Virtual Console)
28. Wizard Fire (Wii, Data East Arcade Classics)
29. Super Mario Run (Android)

What the I said-a what in the hell is this? Yes, I beat a game released during the "current year", and on launch day no less! Well, technically I was able to download this around 7 PM last night for some reason.

Let me start with the negatives. There's a lotta extraneous crap bundled up in hurr. For the first half hour or so of playing I was continuously bombarded with messages about all the game's "special features" like multiplayer, town-building, Nintendo Network nonsense, and collectathon stats. Then there's the price point: the game is "free" but $10 is required to actually play it in full. Ugh. I get that all of this is "normal" for modern games, that doesn't mean I have to like it. Thankfully, things smooth out pretty quickly.
Ever feel like you were holding down the run button for the entire duration of a 2D Mario game? Well, Super Mario Run takes that concept and (strap in folks) runs with it. In this game Mario continuously sprints rightward, though under some special circumstances he can change direction or stop. It's up to the player to make him jump. This is done by tapping the screen. There's some nuance to his jumps here. Height and duration will vary depending on whether or not you bust out a quick poke or a lengthy stroke. Mario can also do a little spin move which can prolong his airtime.

In addition to simple level completion, there are additional goals to shoot for: primarily coin collecting and enemy destruction. Difficulty increases gradually and the levels are brilliantly designed. Some of the later stages require some quick multi-tap maneuvering, though the game never feels cheap or frustrating. Except for the stage 5-3 ghost house. What the hell, guys. Graphics and music are solid, and appear to be ripped straight from the New games.
I'm not really done with this. There's plenty of multiplayer stuff to explore and I'd like to replay some of the more entertaining levels (I've already taken down Bowser multiple times). So far, this is quite the entertaining diversion and a well-deserved break from this bastard. I applaud Nintendo for devising this creative control scheme; a traditional Mario game with a "touch controller" sounds miserable.

And Toadette is really cute.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:46 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I applaud Nintendo for devising this creative control scheme

I liked your review, but I don't agree with this part. Nintendo did not "devise" this control scheme. It has been used in previous smartphone platforming games by other companies.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:53 pm

I've had it since it came out on iOS and still play Rally daily before work. The upfront $10 was totally worth it and a better model than nickel and diming.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:55 pm

Yeah you're right. Forgot this running thing was whole genre. :lol: I have a (crap) Pitfall! Android game with automatic running + tapping to jump and slide. Any other 2D titles that come remotely close to the quality of something like Super Mario Run?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:00 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Any other 2D titles that come remotely close to the quality of something like Super Mario Run?

Give these a shot for starters:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .ro1mobile

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .fiestarun
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:13 pm

It's a $10 game with a free 3 level demo.

I think bone would like Super Cat Bros.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:18 pm

noiseredux wrote:It's a $10 game with a free 3 level demo.

I think bone would like Super Cat Bros.

$10 for 2 hours sounds kinda steep. :| Mario tax?

-

Super Cat Bros. is great, but it's not an auto-runner is why I didn't mention it.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to General Gaming