Fast RMX - Switch
Puyo Puyo Tetris - Switch
Garou: Mark of the Wolf - Vita
Star Wars: Republic Commando - PC
Battlefield 1 - PS4 *new*
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Switch *new*

Total: 19

Previously: 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010

From the single-player game perspective, Battlefield 1 is probably the best in the series since the Bad Company games (which are still my favorite). The game has pretty much anything/everything you'd expect in a modern military shooter and is a fun way to play through some key battlefronts of WW1. I'd like to think that there might be some additional story-based DLC on the horizon, but I doubt it...

As best as I can tell, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is just Mario Kart 8 with all the characters unlocked from the start. That means it is still a fantastic game - arguably the best in the series - but there isn't probably a lot of reason to buy this if you are just planning on playing it on the same TV you might have a Wii U hooked up to. I spent most of my time with this in portable mode, though, which was a good way to wind down for a little bit before bed.

The semester is over and the kids are still in school, so I hope to start churning out games beaten for the next few weeks. *Fingers crossed*

There are changes to Mario kart 8 deluxe like the inclusion of a third level of drift boosting, the ability to hold 2 items, break boosting, the ghost and feather item, a couple new characters and all the battle maps and battle modes.

Is it worth a stand alone purchase? Depends on how much you like Mario kart battle. My wife and I purchased it again because we played 8 a LOT! even though our favorite mode was missing. Now with battle mode we are going ham.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by dsheinem Tue May 23, 2017 9:17 am

wait...are you saying they took a mode out of Delixe?
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Tue May 23, 2017 9:27 am

dsheinem wrote:wait...are you saying they took a mode out of Delixe?

Mario kart 8 never had a valid battle mode. Deluxe now has one.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Tue May 23, 2017 9:35 am

BogusMeatFactory wrote:

Yeah - I knew that. I dig the new battle mode, too. I thought you were suggesting a mode was removed that had been included in the original MK 8.

All those other changes may be vitally important to people who play it a lot, but as an only occasional player I didn't notice that they were new (e.g. I thought I'd experienced them in the previous version). In any case, the game is great and certainly worth playing - especially if you skipped the Wii U version!
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Tue May 23, 2017 9:42 am

dsheinem wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:

Yeah - I knew that. I dig the new battle mode, too. I thought you were suggesting a mode was removed that had been included in the original MK 8.

All those other changes may be vitally important to people who play it a lot, but as an only occasional player I didn't notice that they were new (e.g. I thought I'd experienced them in the previous version). In any case, the game is great and certainly worth playing - especially if you skipped the Wii U version!

Absolutely! Also... I am horribly sleep deprived today so it may have been a very hodgepodge of a post.

Remember kids, don't be an insomnia poster!

Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue May 23, 2017 4:42 pm

1. Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour (PC)
2. Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter* (PC)
3. Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter (PC)
4. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (PC)
5. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (PC)
6. Deadcore (PC)
7. Yakuza 4 (PS3)
8. Hyper Light Drifter (PC)
9. Doom 2: Valiant (PC)
10. Resident Evil 7 (PS4)
10. Doom 2: Ancient Aliens (PC)
11. Doom 2: Vanguard (PC)
12. Doom 2: Doom 2 The Way id Did (PC)
13. Doom 2: Community Chest Pack 4 (PC)
14. Doom: Doom The Way id Did (PC)
15. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 (PC)
16. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 (PC)
17. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (WiiU)
18. Dishonored 2 (PC)
19. Kirby's Dream Land (GB)
20. Kirby's Dream Land 2 (GB)
21. Super Mario Land (GB)
22. Super Mario Land 2 (GB)
23. Mighty Final Fight (NES)
24. Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES)
25. Trip World (GB)
26. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (Genesis)
27. Aladdin (Genesis)
28. Streets of Rage (SMS)
29. Bare Knuckle (Genesis)
30. Bare Knuckle 2* (Genesis)
31. Bare Knuckle 3* (Genesis)
32. Marchen Adventure Cotton 100% (SNES)
33. Earthworm Jim* (Sega CD)
34. Ghouls'n Ghosts (Genesis)
35. Contra (NES)
36. Super C (NES)
37. Final Fight 2* (SNES)
38. Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES)
39. Final Fight 3* (SNES)
40. Operation C (GB)
41. Contra Hard Corps [End B] (Genesis)
42. Mega Turrican (Genesis)
43. Prey (PC)

* replay

Do you like System Shock?
Do you like Looking Glass Studios?
Do you like Ion Storm?
Do you like Dishonored?

If yes, then you must play Prey. I clocked in 24 hours on this beast, I'm always extremely thorough in these kind of games and wanted to take my time. I found the scenario to be increasingly interesting as it developed, which is great since we've seen similar plots and games like this. It's still extremely System Shock in a way that it might be for that niche' target audience, but that's exactly what I wanted and got. I found the writing/dialogue to be an improvement from the Dishonored games, Chris Avellone himself helped out here. Also has some amazing music by Mick Gordon, who did Wolfenstein The New Order, Doom 2016, among a few, I think he's actually employed by Bethesda. The game has a very minimalistic art style but I really enjoyed it, it felt like they were going for the futuristic depictions of the future from the 80's by Syd Mead's art. I heard in a podcast that there are literally people on the team that did level designs for the original Deus Ex and Thief games, so Arkane truly has the DNA of the veterans flowing through them. This is an excellent homage and love letter to fans of these kind of games. It will be incredible to replay a few times over with different player builds and styles.

Amazing stuff and loved the endings.
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Tue May 23, 2017 9:24 pm

1. Phantasy Star II (GEN)
2. Guitar Hero (PS2)
3. Adventures of Lolo (NES)
4. Animal Crossing (GCN)
5. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
6. Beyond The Beyond (PS1)
7. R.B.I. Baseball (NES)
8. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (PS1)
9. GoldenEye: Rogue Agent (GCN)
10. Project Gotham Racing (XBOX)
11. Ristar (GEN)
12. Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64)
13. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
14. Pikmin (GCN)
15. Syberia (XBOX)
16. Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht (PS2)
17. Tetris Plus (PS1)

18. Metropolis Street Racer (DC)

I beat Metropolis Street Racer on the Sega DreamCast this evening!

God, I have been playing this game for 11 Months. It really isn't that long as I did drag my feat a bit, but it does have 250 races in single player mode.

Metropolis Street Racer is a perfect mix of arcade style game play and Gran Turismo style depth. It is very easy to control the cars and you are able to win races almost instantly. The game has a wonderful stage of progression as you start with simple and easy races and gradually move up to longer and more challenging races with faster cars.

The game has a good selection of cars, nothing too exotic or crazy, but a good selection of fairly average cars. The tracks are split up into three segments of London, San Francisco and Tokyo. Those areas all have little tracks inside them and they add some nice variety.

The music is good and really varied. It mixes from jazz to drum n bass to hard rock to country to jpop and dance music. Some feel a little weird driving too, but I only found one song that I really couldn't stand.

The game does get a bit repetitive, especially with 250 races. Also, the brakes are incredibly soft especially with the faster cars.

However, Metropolis Street Racer is a fantastic game for any racing enthusiast. It is a hidden gem on the console and one worth playing if you love the genre.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Tue May 23, 2017 9:50 pm

Partridge Senpai's 2017 Beaten Games:

1. Tales of Hearts R (Vita)
2. UPPERS (Vita)
3. Volume (Vita)
4. Overlord: Minions (DS)
5. Kirby: Planet Robobot (3DS)
6. Overlord II (PS3)
7. Overlord: Dark Legend (Wii)
8. La-Mulana (Remake) (PC)
9. Infamous: Second Son (PS4)
10. htol#NiQ: The Firefly Diary (Vita)
11. Blood Bowl (360)
12. Dead to Rights: Retribution (360)
13. Bioshock Infinite (360)
14. Bioshock Infinite: Burial At Sea Part 1 (360)
15. Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea Part 2 (360)
16. Singularity (360)
17. Seifuku Densetsu Pretty Fighter X (Saturn)
18. Ultraman: Hikari No Kyojin Densetsu (Saturn)
19. Donkey Kong 64 (N64) (repeat)
20. Song of the Deep (PS4)
21. Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 3 (GCN)
22. Banjo-Tooie (N64) (repeat)
23. Wario Land (VB)
24. Yakuza HD Edition (PS3)
25. Yakuza 2 HD Edition (PS3)
26. Vanquish (PS3)
27. Watchdogs 2 (PS4)
28. Pikmin (Wii)
29. Pikmin 3 (Wii U)
30. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Wii U)
31. Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)
32. Tales of Innocence R (Vita)
33. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
34. Boing! Docomodake DS (DS)

35. Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS)

After thoroughly enjoying Planet Robobot earlier this year, my interest in the other 3DS Kirby game was thoroughly peaked. It's not quiiiite as good as Robobot, but it's still a damn fine game. For reference I got all the sunstones in the Kirby mode.

King Dedede has been kidnapped by scary sky invaders, and it's up to Kirby to rescue him! There are a lot of references to older Kirby games in this. Partly because the keychain collectables you can get are all sprite art from all the other platforming Kirby games, but also in terms of enemies and powers. One thing I really appreciated was all the old, crappy powers that they made good. Powers that i avoided like the plague back in Super Star Ultra like Bird and Ninja are now actually good and fun to use. Circus is still a bit fiddly, but the new Beetle power kicks mad ass and is a great joy to use.

The game is pretty easy, but it's always fun. The level design is impecible HAL work as usual, and the game controls perfectly. The Hypernova gimmick stages aren't quite as fun as Robobot's mech segments from a mechanics and gameplay perspective, but they're much better than the mega-power sections from Return to Dreamland: For all intents and purposes, this is basically a single-player game made with a lot of the RtD assets and improves on that games ideas in basically every way, sans a co-op campaign mode. Especially the "Three Little Waddle Dees" segment made me laugh far more than perhaps it should have X3

The presentation is fantastic. This is a damn pretty 3DS game, and they the 3D Kirby aesthetic looking as stellar as ever. The music is fucking fantastic. Kirby games always have great music, but this might be my favorite Kirby music yet. Tons of funky remixes of old tracks that make me love 'em all over again. The bosses are well designed, and they all have at least two phases (some of which are pretty damn tough). Kirby's health bar is really generously huge, or at least you don't take a lot of damage, really. Especially with the later bosses, their patterns are so tough to take advantage of at time, I found it much easier to just ditch my power and fight them old school-style because of how mobile they were. The final boss especially has a million forms and is fucking epic shit that gives a very satisfying ending to the experience.

Verdict: Highly Recommended. It's not quite as good as Robobot, but you can easily pick it up for well under half the price of that nowadays, and it's a fantastic Kirby game for that price. A kind of love letter to the many Kirbys before it, this is another fantastic entry in the series, even if it will come off as a bit easy for most Kirby veterans.
Last edited by PartridgeSenpai on Tue May 23, 2017 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Tue May 23, 2017 9:53 pm

Games Beaten 2017
Inside - PS4
Street Fighter V - PS4
TIMEframe - PC
Rituals - PC
Mother Russia Bleeds - PC
Horizon: Zero Dawn - PS4
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch
Here They Lie - PSVR
Dexed - PSVR
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PSVR
Last Voyage - iOS
Ghost Blade HD - PS4
What Happened to Edith Finch - PS4
Fast RMX - Switch
Puyo Puyo Tetris - Switch
Garou: Mark of the Wolf - Vita
Star Wars: Republic Commando - PC
Battlefield 1 - PS4
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Switch
Shock Troopers - PC (Arcade) *new*
Shock Troopers 2nd Squad - PC (Arcade) *new*
Gravity Bone -PC *new*
A Thousand Flights of Loving - PC *new*

Total: 23

Previously: 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010

Saw some Contra, Shock Troopers, Turrican, Metal Slug talk on here recently and decided to play through the Shock Troopers games via their Steam ports. I still think the first one is far superior to the second in almost every way, but both are worth checking out if only to see what SNK did with the 8-driectional shooter genre.

Gravity Bone and its "sequel" A Thousand Flights of Loving are both short first-person mystery/spy/humor games that have some interesting ideas and a lot of charm, but that leave a lot to be desired. There's some interesting ideas around narrative and game design in each, and I'd be interested to see what something fully fleshed out in this series might look like.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Tue May 23, 2017 10:51 pm

Just finished Mushihime-sama Futari Ver 1.5
Last night finished Espgaluda II: Black Label.

Working on extra modes now. I hear Mush has an insane ultra mode as I posted in Guess the game topic. No I will not do well..not even remotely but I want to try it for kicks.
Return to General Gaming