Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Exhuminator Mon May 22, 2017 9:47 pm

I'm glad you guys are so good at Contra, Turrican, and Metal Slug. But if you want to impress me, let's see you legit beat this guy:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon May 22, 2017 10:03 pm

Oh good grief, I played that game. It's pretty ridiculous. I'm pretty sure it also steals sound effects from SquareSoft games.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon May 22, 2017 10:47 pm

Commando: Steel Disaster is ridiculous. I may revisit it after I have played through all of the superior Metal Slug games that inspired it.

I am still chipping away at BOTW. When I'm not playing that, I'm knocking out shmup. I beat Chain Blaster (3DS) yesterday. It is a good distraction, but it is very easy. I am glad I didn't pay much for it. I also beat Twinbee (NES/3DS) after several attempts. Once you grasp the quite complicated mechanics, it isn't too bad, and if you get the right power up combination (shield + three-way shot), it becomes very easy. Like a lot of old shmup, however, if you lose your power ups late in the game, you're history. I will give the arcade version a shot next.

I'll write longer reviews of all of these games once I finally wrap up BOTW.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon May 22, 2017 11:36 pm

I've been trying to hold this in since they've been name dropped here and there recently, but I can't tell if I like Metal Slug or not. The graphical style and aesthetics are a work of art for sure, but wow... those games look busy, very very busy visually. I kind of prefer the simpler cleaner look of the Contra's in comparison. Might just be my more limited 8/16bit DNA talking.

I own the PS2 collection and should play it sometime haha. But yeah I've played a bit of Metal Slug here and there at arcades and think I have a download of one of them somewhere maybe. Have never really been sure what to think of them though.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon May 22, 2017 11:47 pm

1. Pokémon Moon - 3DS
2. Tony Hawk's Underground - GCN
3. Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising - PC
4. Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II: Retribution - PC
5. Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness - PSP
6. X-Wing: Imperial Pursuit - PC
7. Star Wars Republic Commando - PC
8. X-Wing: B-Wing - PC
9. Blazing Lazers - TG-16
10. Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3
11. Shining Force CD: Shining Force Gaiden - Sega CD
12. MUSHA - Genesis
13. Sonic CD - Sega CD
14. Final Fantasy Legend III - GB
15. Tales of Zestiria - PS3
16. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch
17. Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4
18. Tales of Berseria - PS4
19. Battlefield 1 - PC
20. Turok 2: Seeds of Evil - PC
21. Mass Effect Andromeda - PC
22. Starflight 2 - PC
23. Armored Hunter Gunhound EX - PC
24. Space Megaforce - SNES
25. Persona 5 - PS4
26. Torment: Tides of Numenera - PC
27. Cosmic Star Heroine - PC
28. Prey - PC
29. Strafe - PC

Strafe is the Kicstarter game with the single best pitch video ever made. Check it out, I'll wait.

Ok, so you're back. As you can see, the game was originally envisioned as a throwback to the early 3D era of FPS's and for the most part it delivers. However, the biggest thing that sets it apart is that it's a roguelike, and as a result you trade in carefully crafted levels for a fast playing game where you need to be able to adapt to new situations while still being able to make use of knowledge you already have. And it all works pretty well.

The game starts you off with picking from a shotgun, SMG, and railgun. Each of these is your primary weapon and you'll be picking up ammo and upgrading it as you go along. You'll also find a variety of secondary weapons; this includes a few versions of the guns you didn't pick plus a bunch of secondary only weapons. These come with a single clip and then they're done, though when they're empty you can use them one more time to either bash an enemy or throw the empty gun (depending on the weapon). Since the three handle very differently it's going to affect your overall playstyle, so pick the gun that fits you. All guns come with a primary and a secondary fire and all are clip fed. One interesting note is that you throw away half empty clips; you'll have to break yourself of the habit of reloading every chance you get and instead think about reloading tactically.

There are two ways you upgrade your gun. The first is through minor stat boosts which will increase either the damage, clip size, accuracy, or fire rate. You'll be picking up a lot of these as you go through the game, as you'll definitely notice a difference as things go on. The other way is through some upgrade stations that will modify either the primary or secondary fire of your weapon. There are a total of four primary and four secondary functions for your gun (including the ones you start with). As an example, the shotgun's primaries are shotty, super shotty (double damage, half fire rate, half shots per clip), flak, and triple grenade launcher, while the secondaries are flak grenade, gas grenade, remote mine, and C4 (explodes when shot, sticks to enemies). These can end up making or breaking a run, and it'll probably take a little while for you to learn which stations correspond to which upgrade (there's a graphic on the side that corresponds but it isn't necessarily obvious the first time).

The other parts of the economy are scrap and credits. Scrap is dropped randomly by enemies and is available from scrap chests (keep shooting til it stops coming out). This can be spent in a few ways. The first is it can be exchanged for credits at certain kiosks (I never used). The second is at scrap stations, where you can turn your scrap into ammo or armor. In general you'll want to use it for armor because armor is harder to come by and keeps you alive. Scrap stations also let you reset your primary gun to its default configuration if you got a primary/secondary you didn't like. Credits are used in shops which show up every second level and have a variety of items that will help you out.

The game consists of four areas of three levels each and then a final boss past 4-3. As I mentioned, the levels are randomly generated. The generator has a series of rooms that all have door connections available in various spots; the generator then assembles several together to create a final level. Most of these rooms are rather sizable and you'll quickly start to recognize them and the best way to approach clearing them out. There are a variety of monster closets and secrets available (accessed by hitting environmental triggers or exploding open a door with an explosive barrel). The game also has some fun secret challenges; the first one is an arcade machine that lets you play a Wolfenstein 3D knockoff under a time limit to get some credits and an upgrade.

The game itself takes about two hours to play on a full run where you aren't trying to race under the par times. At the end of each level you get a summary of your kills, scrap collected, time taken, par time, accuracy, and number of secrets found. Getting under par three times rewards you with a token that can be spend on an upgrade of your choice. The devs were very conscious of wanting players to not have sunk too much time in when a run dies, hence trying to keep the time under two hours.

The game has mixed reviews on Steam because a lot of people wanted Quake 1 and got something that wasn't Quake 1. So an uninformed review based on not reading the description before buying. In terms of actual complaints the main ones are that many monsters are just a bit too quiet, so you can get flanked without realizing it (this tends to happen if you aggro too much without realizing it). Also since this is a roguelike sometimes you're just screwed with no good drops, but it feels like the devs tried to have things even out over time with the primary stat upgrades. Player skill can take you a long way since it is a twitch shooter.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Mon May 22, 2017 11:59 pm

^ dude check your links. One of them contains malware. My antivirus is going nuts!
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue May 23, 2017 12:41 am

That's a problem with your computer then. Aside from the one youtube link all of them are links to Racketboy.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Tue May 23, 2017 1:19 am

MrPopo wrote:That's a problem with your computer then. Aside from the one youtube link all of them are links to Racketboy.

Figured it out.

It's not your links but someone pn that page. I have blocked all images atm but whoever has a Contra image that file possibly contains malware.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (66.62 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Tue May 23, 2017 3:17 am

Contra Band
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Tue May 23, 2017 8:37 am

Games Beaten 2017
Inside - PS4
Street Fighter V - PS4
TIMEframe - PC
Rituals - PC
Mother Russia Bleeds - PC
Horizon: Zero Dawn - PS4
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch
Here They Lie - PSVR
Dexed - PSVR
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PSVR
Last Voyage - iOS
Ghost Blade HD - PS4
What Happened to Edith Finch - PS4
Fast RMX - Switch
Puyo Puyo Tetris - Switch
Garou: Mark of the Wolf - Vita
Star Wars: Republic Commando - PC
Battlefield 1 - PS4 *new*
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Switch *new*

Total: 19

Previously: 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010

From the single-player game perspective, Battlefield 1 is probably the best in the series since the Bad Company games (which are still my favorite). The game has pretty much anything/everything you'd expect in a modern military shooter and is a fun way to play through some key battlefronts of WW1. I'd like to think that there might be some additional story-based DLC on the horizon, but I doubt it...

As best as I can tell, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is just Mario Kart 8 with all the characters unlocked from the start. That means it is still a fantastic game - arguably the best in the series - but there isn't probably a lot of reason to buy this if you are just planning on playing it on the same TV you might have a Wii U hooked up to. I spent most of my time with this in portable mode, though, which was a good way to wind down for a little bit before bed.

The semester is over and the kids are still in school, so I hope to start churning out games beaten for the next few weeks. *Fingers crossed*
Return to General Gaming