Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by dunpeal2064 Tue May 16, 2017 9:36 am

I thought they were sold in "packs" (Cave pack, Raizing pack, etc) that included new ships, stages, scoring systems, and music. Not to say that its necessarily worth the price, but I imagine if you like the company that the DLC is based on, it could warrant a look.

Unless I'm wrong and its just ships, which would be lame.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue May 16, 2017 9:51 am

dsheinem wrote:Star Wars Republic Commando is quite good!

It is a very good tactical FPS. I had a great time with it. Until I reached the wookie area, where the quality drops a bit, and then the game quickly ends out of nowhere. I read a post mortem of SWRC after that, where the developers said the publisher started rushing them to get the game done in time for some arbitrary release window. Ergo the drastic end. Despite that unfortunate aspect, SWRC is definitely one of the best games of its kind.

You said you were considering playing some other Star Wars games. I've played a fair amount of them. Here's some I would recommend:

Super Star Wars (SNES)
Super Empire Strikes Back (SNES)
Super Return of the Jedi (SNES)
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (the original, I didn't like the sequels)
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Star Wars: Battlefront II (2005 version)

If those don't interest you, there's a ridiculous amount of other games to choose from:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S ... ideo_games
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue May 16, 2017 9:58 am

If you're cool enough to own a joystick you can also get:

Star Wars: X-Wing
Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter Balance of Power
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Tue May 16, 2017 10:34 am

dunpeal2064 wrote:I thought they were sold in "packs" (Cave pack, Raizing pack, etc) that included new ships, stages, scoring systems, and music. Not to say that its necessarily worth the price, but I imagine if you like the company that the DLC is based on, it could warrant a look.

Unless I'm wrong and its just ships, which would be lame.

They are, but it's $12 per pack, and most of them have three ships.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Tue May 16, 2017 10:36 am

Still pretty steep, but at least a little better than just having ships. I've been tempted on a few of them, just to see how they fuse together the two scoring styles.

I was hoping the LRG release would have dlc included, would have happily paid a high sum for that. At least the standard game has a stupid amount of content though.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Tue May 16, 2017 10:56 am

dunpeal2064 wrote:Still pretty steep, but at least a little better than just having ships. I've been tempted on a few of them, just to see how they fuse together the two scoring styles.

I was hoping the LRG release would have dlc included, would have happily paid a high sum for that. At least the standard game has a stupid amount of content though.

Yeah, I was disappointed that the LRG release didn't include the DLC.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Tue May 16, 2017 1:18 pm

I really liked Darius Burst CS on PS4. I don't have any of the DLC. Not planning to. My only actual issues is the song Freedom. WTF is going on there? it sounds like a drunk lady with no talent who has way too much confidence!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue May 16, 2017 1:49 pm

I beat a Fantasy Zone II (SMS). It has good graphics for a SMS game. Amazing, in fact. Everything else about it is so tiresome, however, and it is so much worse in every way than it's predecessor and its remake. I tried to like it, but getting through it was such a chore. (I didn't end up with a 1CC. I saved between levels. Sue me. It was still really hard. I am moving on to the vastly superior Super Fantasy Zone.)
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Tue May 16, 2017 11:39 pm

Partridge Senpai's 2017 Beaten Games:

1. Tales of Hearts R (Vita)
2. UPPERS (Vita)
3. Volume (Vita)
4. Overlord: Minions (DS)
5. Kirby: Planet Robobot (3DS)
6. Overlord II (PS3)
7. Overlord: Dark Legend (Wii)
8. La-Mulana (Remake) (PC)
9. Infamous: Second Son (PS4)
10. htol#NiQ: The Firefly Diary (Vita)
11. Blood Bowl (360)
12. Dead to Rights: Retribution (360)
13. Bioshock Infinite (360)
14. Bioshock Infinite: Burial At Sea Part 1 (360)
15. Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea Part 2 (360)
16. Singularity (360)
17. Seifuku Densetsu Pretty Fighter X (Saturn)
18. Ultraman: Hikari No Kyojin Densetsu (Saturn)
19. Donkey Kong 64 (N64) (repeat)
20. Song of the Deep (PS4)
21. Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 3 (GCN)
22. Banjo-Tooie (N64) (repeat)
23. Wario Land (VB)
24. Yakuza HD Edition (PS3)
25. Yakuza 2 HD Edition (PS3)
26. Vanquish (PS3)
27. Watchdogs 2 (PS4)
28. Pikmin (Wii)
29. Pikmin 3 (Wii U)
30. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Wii U)

31. Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)

In my pursuit to play through the first party Wii U games I have but haven't beaten yet, this was next on the chopping block after Treasure Tracker reminded me so much of it, and DAMN was it a good block to chop. Easily one of the best Mario games ever. Presentation, music, level design are all top notch. I played through trying to collect everything, missing only a scant few stamp thingies in worlds 1-10. I WOULD play the 11th world, but unlocking that seems absolutely insane, so I won't be doing it :P (In addition to getting all collectibles, you also need to beat ALL levels in worlds 1-10 with ALL five characters! Madness!).

Just like there was Mario Land on the Gameboy and Mario World on the SNES, we have Mario 3D Land on the 3DS and Mario 3D World on the Wii U. I thought 3D land was okay, but ultimately too easy to be terribly interesting (for the record, it also did the "beat every level with every character" thing, but there were only two characters and it only unlocked one level). 3D World, on the other hand, is a fantastic multiplayer experience and an equally fantastic single-player experience. This is probably the Mario game that lends itself best to the multiplayer aspect, but the later levels (especially in worlds past 8) are difficult even for a single player, let alone several all competing for the same space.

The set-up is basically that there are stages you progress to on a world map, like Super Mario World, but each stage is it's own little Mario Galaxy-like 3D platforming stage. The result is VERY fun, and the added dimension is definitely the prime factor in how it's so much more easy to play multiplayer.

Verdit: Highly Recommended. I won't harp on much more. Chances are, if you have a Wii U, you either already have this game and have already beaten it and already know how great it is. At the very least, you've read someone else's review on the site and already know how much we like it, so yeah, I'm part of that group who think it's amazing. If you own a Wii U, it's definitely one of the best games you can have for the console. Behind the obvious BEST game for the system, this is a very solid second best :D
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed May 17, 2017 10:11 pm

28. Late Shift | PC | adventure | 2017 | 55m | 7/10

FMV games are nothing new. They've been around since at least 1983's Dragon's Lair if not longer. During the early '90s, the SEGA CD became infamous for its schlocky FMV entries. But Late Shift still manages to do something different with the FMV genre; high quality. This FMV adventure was directed by a legitimate Hollywood director (Michael Robert Johnson), has proper lighting and expensive cinematography, the plot was written by an accomplished author, and most importantly the actors are actual professional actors.

The plot and action will draw you in like a good TV show would. You play the part of a college student working the late shift of a parking valet job. It isn't long before he's mixed up in an auction heist, deathlisted by the Chinese mafia, and becomes hunted by the police as well. It's high stakes stuff, except you've got the power of choice to control the story. With something like 180+ choices to make leading to 7 possible endings. But you have to make your choices in real time, Late Shift doesn't stop to wait. There's never any hiccups between loading, all transitions are seamless.

That said, I think many of the choices are just window dressing at best, and it should be easier to go back in time to create new plot forks by choosing other decisions. As it stands, once you reach an ending, you have to start the whole game over again. Also the subtitles often don't match what the actors really say. Regardless, Late Shift sets a new watermark for the FMV genre. It's professionally made all around, has a gripping crime drama scenario, and provides just enough decisions to be a legitimate video game. This is a great way to spend an evening with friends or a loved one. Popcorn in one hand, mouse in the other.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to General Gaming