alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by alienjesus »

Segata wrote:
alienjesus wrote:
Segata wrote:Guwange
Gunstar heroes

Tell us about these. I know next to nothing about Guwange! Always good to hear people's thoughts about a game rather than just a list :)

Also, they might not be the best Irem games, but my favourite Irem games are Noobow and Hammerin' Harry for Game Boy.

Guwange is a Cave shooter(also kinda sounds like bad engrish trying to say Gun Range). Currently on sale for $2.50 on XBL as well as Ikagura. It's an alright shmup but eh not one of Caves best. It takes place in Feudal Japan and you shoot demons. Even tho a vertical shooter the screen does sometimes scroll horizontal. Oh and you can flip the screen if you want to turn the TV on the side. Still for 2.50 it's good fun. Also I meant to say Guardian Heroes. Not beaten Gunstar yet. I have trouble with it. Guardian I have beaten plenty on Saturn and 360. One of my fave games ever.

I love me some Guardian Heroes. Which character do you use? My main dude is Randy - I love the entire screen with lightning bolts by upping his magic, or souping up his speed to max to make him ridiculously quick.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

One thing that sets Guwange apart from Cave's other shooters is that you are on foot. It creates some interesting situations, since you have to actually maneuver around the environment.

It also features probably the most unforgiving scoring system ever. You thought full stage chains in Dodonpachi were rough? How does full game chaining sound?

Also the Stage 3 boss is a catspider, which is excellent.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

alienjesus wrote:
I love me some Guardian Heroes. Which character do you use? My main dude is Randy - I love the entire screen with lightning bolts by upping his magic, or souping up his speed to max to make him ridiculously quick.

I kinda have an obsession with swords. So I always use sword characters in games.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Games Beaten 2017
Inside - PS4
Street Fighter V - PS4
TIMEframe - PC
Rituals - PC
Mother Russia Bleeds - PC
Horizon: Zero Dawn - PS4
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch
Here They Lie - PSVR
Dexed - PSVR
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PSVR
Last Voyage - iOS
Ghost Blade HD - PS4
What Happened to Edith Finch - PS4
Fast RMX - Switch
Puyo Puyo Tetris - Switch
Garou: Mark of the Wolf - Vita *new*
Star Wars: Republic Commando - PC *new*

Total: 17

Previously: 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010

Hey, some retro games!

Garou is one of those games I like to go back to from time to time, if only to enjoy the beautiful sprite work and refined gameplay. Since I recently picked it up for the Vita for cheap, it seemed a good time to give it a spin again. It plays very well in handheld form!

Star Wars Republic Commando is quite good! I enjoyed the tactical components much more than I thought I would, and also appreciated that I could choose when and if I really wanted to worry about them at all. It's a shame there hasn't been a sequel to this. I think I will play some more Star Wars games this year...

This has been a very slow year for me so far in terms of beating games - my numbers are about half of what they typically are this time of year. Hopefully, now that the semester is over, I can start notching up titles more quickly...
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Exhuminator wrote:Image
27. Lollipop Chainsaw | 360 | beat 'em up | 2012 | 6h 30m | 7/10

When I first started playing Lollipop Chainsaw, I was very underwhelmed. "So this is OneChanbara, Suda51 style 'eh?" But later in the game, as I scaled a skyscraper while Human League's "Empire State Human" played in the background, I realized there was more heart in this production than previously assumed. Yes, you play the part of a scantily dressed cheerleader chainsawing tons of zombies to death. Yes, it's all more than a little gratuitous and low brow. But of all Suda51's games, Lollipop Chainsaw may very well capture his whole style-over-substance shtick the most endearingly. The core concept is never lost and the wild boss fights will rock your world. (When James Euringer was willing to put his sanctifying touch on the experience, you know it's genuine.) While the moment-to-moment game design constantly vacillates between fairly terrible and incredibly ingenious, the raw verve only grows more impressive the deeper you go. Lollipop Chainsaw has been Grasshopper Manufacture's best selling game, proving once again that sex sells. But if you look up this game's skirt, you'll see that punk's still not dead.

Let's not forget that Juliet is voiced by Tara Strong, so the whole time I was playing this back when it first came out, I kept hearing Twilight Sparkle. Definitely a plus.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2017 So Far - 46
* denotes a replay

January (10 Games Beaten)
1. Persona 4 Arena - Playstation 3 - January 1
2. Chrono Trigger - SNES - January 7
3. Ys: The Vanished Omens - Master System - January 8
4. MUSHA - Genesis - January 10
5. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below - PlayStation 4 - January 11
6. Ys I - TurboGrafx-CD - January 13
7. Ys II - TurboGrafx-CD - January 14
8. Dragon Quest Builders - PlayStation 4 - January 23
9. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. School Girl/Zombie Hunter - PlayStation 4 - January 29

February (12 Games Beaten)
11. Fire Emblem Heroes - Android - February 3
12. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - Wii U - February 5
13. Dante's Inferno - PlayStation 3 - February 7
14. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - DS - February 11
15. Persona 4: Dancing All Night - Vita - February 12
16. Sniper Elite 4 - PlayStation 4 - February 17
17. Pony Quest - NES - February 19
18. Halo Wars 2 - Xbox One - February 22
19. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - PlayStation Portable - February 24
20. Hotline Miami - PlayStation 4 - February 26
21. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - Famicom - February 27
22. Bad Dudes - NES - February 28

March (6 Games Beaten)
23. Root Letter - PlayStation 4 - March 2
24. Vroom in the Night Sky - Switch - March 10
25. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch - March 17
26. Super Bomberman R - Switch - March 18
27. Super Mario Run - Android - March 24
28. I Am Setsuna - Switch - March 24

April (9 Games Beaten)
29. Mass Effect: Andromeda - PlayStation 4 - April 1
30. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army - PlayStation 4 - April 2
31. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2 - PlayStation 4 - April 2
32. New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers - Switch - April 3
33. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 3 - PlayStation 4 - April 4
34. Persona 5 - PlayStation 4 - April 17
35. Alienation - PlayStation 4 - April 18
36. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - PlayStation 4 - April 23
37. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - PlayStation 4 - April 29

May (9 Games Beaten)
38. Puyo Puyo Tetris - Switch - May 4
39. Fire Emblem Gaiden - Famicom - May 6
40. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Switch - May 6
41. Outlast II - PlayStation 4 - May 7
42. Dishonored - PlayStation 4 - May 10
43. Snipperclips: Cut it Out, Together! - Switch - May 12
44. Pikmin - Gamecube - May 12
45. Metal Slug - Neo Geo MVS - May 13*
46. Dariusburst CS: Chronicle Savior - PlayStation 4 - May 14

46. Dariusburst CS: Chronicle Savior - PlayStation 4 - May 14

I'm gonna be frank here - as much as I ADORE arcade shmups, I've never played a Darius game before. Heresy, I know. So I went into this one with a blank slate in terms of expectations. All I knew was that this was probably the most hyped Limited Run release (not to mention the most expensive due to the high digital price) and that the series had a respected pedigree. I wasn't sure what I was expecting, but whatever it was, I was not disappointed.

Dariusburst is a horizontally scrolling shooter, and while I prefer vertically scrolling shooters, this one is QUITE good. There are a few different gameplay modes. You've got your regular arcade mode, called AC mode, which you can play either with infinite lives to practice or on with your standard allotment of lives (I think 3 is default). If that's too easy for you, there's Original EX mode. It's the same style as AC Mode except that instead of Easy, Medium, and Hard paths, you have all new stages with Expert, Extreme, and Exceed difficulty paths. Then there's CS mode which is a gargantuan mode with over 200 missions. Then there's the online Chronicle Mode, divided into 64 different servers, which boasts over 3000 stages and can be tackled and progressed by people from all over the world. With nine playable ships and a bunch more from various companies' IPs that can be purchased as DLC, there's a wide array of aesthetic options.

The gameplay itself is on point. The hitbox isn't too big like I felt it was in MUSHA, and it doesn't quite go into "bullet hell" territory with 90% of the screen taken up by shots like Ikaruga tends to do. The levels themselves are fun with multiple enemy types and formations, usually coming from the right but, in later levels, also attacking from the left. You've got some special "burst" attacks that I typically save for hoards of enemies or the final boss. As for the enemy bosses, they're the real stars of the show here in my opinion. They're all GIANT ROBOT ALIEN SEA CREATURES. That's the coolest shit in the world. Most of them have attack patterns that are relatively easy to figure out, but there are a few that are either tricky to figure out or just tricky to avoid even after you've figured it out.

My biggest gripe with the game is that they seem to have gone for quantity over quality with the levels. I mean, over 200 levels in CS mode, and over 3000 levels in Chronicle mode? They all start to feel REALLY samey after a while. I'd have rather had a story mode with 20 good, unique levels than hundreds and hundreds of cookie cutter levels. I know that's a personal thing - some people would prefer an ass ton of samey levels - but it's a definite con in my book. I'm all for survival modes with endless waves and stuff, but this just seems excessive to me. It's not a survival mode - there's a definite end - so I don't really think that massive number of levels was the best design choice.

Dariusburst CS: Chronicle Saviors is a fantastic arcade shmup. It's not without its flaws, but it's positives more than make up for the few negatives. If you're REALLY into this game and want to keep playing forever and ever, then it's got you covered with the 200+ level CS mode and the 3000+ level Chronicle mode. For most of us, I suspect the AC mode will suffice for our fix every now and then, but there's definitely a lot of game here to experience, even if it is mostly filler. There are some questionable design choices with out CS mode and Chronicle mode were made, but even with that in mind, Dariusburst CS: Chronicle Saviors is a must-buy for any fans of the genre.

dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Nice, write-up, and definitely a sweet game.

Fwiw, having a larger amount of levels branching out into different routes is a Darius staple. Granted, this usually equates to like 20 or so levels, not 3000, and I agree it feels like a bit much, especially since a lot of levels are using assets from other levels.

AC mode is definitely where I tend to stick. Would love to try the different DLCs at some point.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Darius Burst sure is ugly huh? They forgot to use most of the colours :cry:
marurun

Post by marurun »

DariusBurst CS is like Dead or Alive 5 in that if you buy all the DLC it's like a $1500 game. I think that's crazy. Also, given the age of this game, I'm surprised it still sells for full price. I like Darius games (except on the SNES, those all suck for some reason), but I don't like Darius games that much.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

marurun wrote:DariusBurst CS is like Dead or Alive 5 in that if you buy all the DLC it's like a $1500 game. I think that's crazy. Also, given the age of this game, I'm surprised it still sells for full price. I like Darius games (except on the SNES, those all suck for some reason), but I don't like Darius games that much.

Yeah, the DLC is obscenely priced. It's like $12 for three ships; that's why I haven't bought any.