Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by pierrot »

CFFJR wrote:If you're at all interested Pierrot, check it out. So much better than the first two it's kind of shocking.

I hope to, at some point. I've just never seen it for a price that I liked.

CFFJR wrote:Oh, and the Principal is in fact Japanese. He's just obsessed with Hawaii. :wink:
Interesting. His speech is a typical stereotype of Americans' Japanese. I was sure he was meant to be a counterpart to Shampoo.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

pierrot wrote:Really? I thought there were plenty of places where it let up: Stages 2 and 5, the first boss, the search bot boss that rains out bombs and enemies in stage 3, the highway boss on wheels in stage 4. The only parts of the game where I felt it didn't let up were with the boss at the end of stage 4, and the gauntlet at the end of the game. I hate most of those bosses at the end of the game, though. Two of them (the two that try to ram you) have some attacks that feel outright unfair. I wasn't going to mention this, but I don't think 3 plays perfectly. I had some trouble with aiming (thanks, SNES d-pad), not dropping from hand holds into bottomless pits, and some suspect hit/hurt boxes. I was getting fed up with it, with unlimited continues. By comparison, I don't even care that Hard Corps is one hit death, and has limited continues, because it feels fair to me.

In Hard, both Stages 2 and 5 are excellent, since they expand the AI of the targets, and both bosses gain a slightly larger and varied moveset. Granted, I know some people just hate the overhead stages by design, but I think they are quite solid.

The Stage 1 boss (Hard) is epic, RNG-fueled, and about as good as a Stage 1 boss can be. He can easily trap you in a section of the screen. Its a quick fight if you are using C+C, but for a first boss, some attention is still required. I think its perfect.

The boss that drops bombs and spits out enemies is lame, for sure. Pretty much the only low point in Hard mode though.

I'll certainly disagree on any of the bosses being unfair. The 2nd boss in the boss rush (that rams you on the ground) is easily avoidable, since you can jump on his outstretched legs. The rain above is RNG, but I've never seen it be impossible to survive, just always tense. The boss after that (that rams you on the wall) is static, and you are able to position yourself to guarantee survival. Again, its not something you can relax during, but it is very far from unfair. Heck, even on Hard mode, experienced players can no-miss the game regularly.

I've never found a single issue with the controls, aiming, or hanging onto ledges either (Other than the Stage 3 boss that can grab you and throw you into the pit, but thats its intent anyways).

If we compare similar bosses to HC, it is far more static. Once you figure something out, you can practically sleep through it. Contra 3 has just enough RNG to keep even a seasoned player on their toes, and that goes a long way when playing these games for a decade or more.

Do we have a Contra thread somewhere? :lol: I feel bad clogging up this thread, but I can't dodge a convo about some of the best run ' gun gaming ever made.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Y'all can fight about Alien Wars and Hard Corps, but the NES games are still king in my book.

Also, if you want another similar to those, play Super Cyborg! It's awesome and, you guessed it, brutally difficult.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I don't think I really have the patience to get into hard mode, but--

dunpeal2064 wrote:I'll certainly disagree on any of the bosses being unfair. The 2nd boss in the boss rush (that rams you on the ground) is easily avoidable, since you can jump on his outstretched legs. The rain above is RNG, but I've never seen it be impossible to survive, just always tense. The boss after that (that rams you on the wall) is static, and you are able to position yourself to guarantee survival. Again, its not something you can relax during, but it is very far from unfair. Heck, even on Hard mode, experienced players can no-miss the game regularly.

I don't think Contra 3 is a game that can't be adjusted to, but I do think it requires significant adjustment. To clarify on the attacks I was talking about, though: I would regularly get some very bad patterns from the rain of spores, or whatever they were, that may not have been impossible to get out of, but were very tight. More so at times with the window to get out of the way of the line of bullets it shoots right after. It's not a difficult boss, on its own, though. I tend to agree with that. Same for the mechanical dragon, thing, but the whip that it occasionally does with its tail on the its first pattern is total BS, and I did not appreciate the hit box above its head when it rams the wall. It's a very shallow hit box below his head, though. So, yeah, they're not extremely difficult, but with a lot of the game, I felt there was just a little too much luck involved.

dunpeal2064 wrote:I feel bad clogging up this thread, but I can't dodge a convo about some of the best run ' gun gaming ever made.

I feel like general discussion is somewhat within the scope of this thread. Maybe I'm wrong about that, though.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

That's what I always thought the thread was for, someone beats something and it hopefully kicks off a pages-long discussion. Apparently we really love us some Contra, to varying degrees based on the entry. ;)

Also, the aforementioned Super Cyborg: http://store.steampowered.com/app/341550/Super_Cyborg/
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Well guys, I will play Hard Corps soon and bring down the hammer of justice upon you all on my holy decision for the best one. :wink:

And that looks awesome Sarge. I wasn't too big on Oniken though, but I think Oniken was maybe going for a little more Ninja Gaiden or something. Speaking of, yes folks... I plan to give Ninja Gaiden NES another shot soon. I have admitted to not being a fan, but maybe the mood is perfect now. I'll check it out.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Oniken wasn't that great, in my opinion. It tried to ape... something NES-related, but it never felt quite right to me. If you play anything by that dev, it needs to be Odallus.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

26. Front Mission Evolved | 360 | mech sim | 2010 | 7h 30m | 4/10

The Front Mission series is primarily known for its renowned SRPG entries, but also has its fair share of action titles as well. For example Front Mission Online, Front Mission Alternative, and Front Mission: Gun Hazard were all received well. They manage to capture the soul of Front Mission, while also providing thoughtful action. But then SQEX had the idiotic idea of farming out this series' glorious name to a third rate USA studio. To cheaply and quickly produce another action title; Front Mission Evolved. To be blunt; Double Helix Games had no business getting anywhere near Front Mission. But I guess they were the lowest bidder.

Rather than make an action game that captures the heart of Front Mission, Double Helix Games were instead content to make a generic mecha third person shooter. While the action is serviceable and at times engaging, it never appropriates its series' namesake in any tangible way. Honestly Front Mission Evolved felt more like a spiritual successor to MechAssault than anything else. So if you enjoyed the brainless blasting of MechAssault, then you will likely enjoy Front Mission Evolved. But there are still plenty of other problems even if you take that approach to playing this game.

The developers clearly did not understand what makes Front Mission what it is. They totally screwed up the mech designing aspect first and foremost. The cutscenes are so terrible I started skipping them halfway through. The graphics are very sixth gen just running at a higher resolution. Game design is all over the place, generally bad, and always unbalanced. The less said about the on foot parts the better. Worst of all, on normal difficulty, Front Mission Evolved is pathetically easy (I beat the last boss on my first try). Front Mission Evolved is a workmanlike mech shooter; it is simply too generic and sloppy to deserve bearing the Front Mission name. Double Helix Games and SQEX should both be forever ashamed of themselves for tarnishing such a glorious franchise with this robo-turd. Front Mission Devolved is the accurate name.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

1. Phantasy Star II (GEN)
2. Guitar Hero (PS2)
3. Adventures of Lolo (NES)
4. Animal Crossing (GCN)
5. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
6. Beyond The Beyond (PS1)
7. R.B.I. Baseball (NES)
8. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (PS1)
9. GoldenEye: Rogue Agent (GCN)
10. Project Gotham Racing (XBOX)
11. Ristar (GEN)
12. Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64)
13. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
14. Pikmin (GCN)
15. Syberia (XBOX)
16. Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht (PS2)

17. Tetris Plus (PS1)

I completed Tetris Plus on the Sony Playstation 1 this afternoon!

I always love me a good Tetris game!

Tetris Plus is a faithful and unique Tetris game. The game is diverted into two large modes, Classic and Puzzle Mode. Classic Mode is normal Tetris without any frills coming later on like saving pieces or even super quick turning.

The heart of the game is the Puzzle Mode. You have a little archeologist trying to get to the bottom of the screen and you have to clear a pathway of two blocks for him to make it. He always climbs when pieces are placed on top of him and he is known to not go where you want him to.

Puzzle Mode is just like a perfect puzzle game, where it is stupid simple at the beginning and then increasingly difficult. One or two of the 100 puzzles felt a little cheap, but none of them were too terrible. They were all doable and even the hard ones had a good sense of accomplishment afterwards.

With great music, good visuals and addictive gameplay, Tetris Plus is a rather enjoyable Tetris game. The Puzzle mode is a wonderful feature and it is an adequate Tetris game. The game runs for about $5, $15 if you want the Saturn version and that is an exact amount of the game. It is a great game at that price and comes highly recommended for anybody that loves Tetris or puzzle games.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Sarge wrote:Oniken wasn't that great, in my opinion. It tried to ape... something NES-related, but it never felt quite right to me. If you play anything by that dev, it needs to be Odallus.

Already beat it. That one was amazing.