Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

1. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
2. Gyromite (NES)
3. Lucy -The Eternity She Wished For- (Steam)
4. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (Famicom)
5. Radical Dreamers (SNES)
6. Video Games 1 (TI-99/4A)
7. Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken (Famicom)
8. Exile (TurboGrafx CD)
9. Exile: Wicked Phenomenon (TurboGrafx CD)
10. Xak (PC Engine CD, Xak I・II)
11. Xak II (PC Engine CD, Xak I・II)
12. Neutopia (TurboGrafx-16)
13. Captain Silver (Sega Master System)
14. Märchen Veil (Famicom Disk System)
15. Vanguard (Atari 2600)

Vanguard is an old SNK arcade game that was ported to the Atari 2600 and 5200 shortly after its release. I believe there's also an Atari 8-bit prototype out there, though I'm sure you're all aware that Atari 5200 and Atari 8-bit games are virtually identical minus their respective control schemes.
What we have here is a really solid shmup with alternating horizontal and vertical stages. Your ship can fire in four directions, dependent on what direction its flying. There's a fuel gauge, similar to the one in Konami's Scramble, but here the fuel is refilled simply by defeating enemies. This is great mechanic; I never liked dipping to the ground to grab fuel tanks. Vanguard does offer up the occasional "E tank" (they look like the ones in Mega Man) though these are used to grant temporary invincibility.
Vanguard is not a rote one-stage looper, but a "lengthy" quest that culminates with a final boss battle. There's even a map screen that appears between stages to indicate progress. These elements alone make it exponentially more complex than the standard Atari game, and arguably more enjoyable. I can even see the "1985 and up" crowd getting behind this one.

The controls are solid and I didn't even feel tempted to swap out my Atari stick with a Genesis controller. Graphics are impressive and the game features that "rainbow" checkerboard style commonly seen in old Atari games. There's no music of course, but the staticky explosions are as satisfying as ever.
I strongly recommend sticking around after the first loop, as the challenge increases incrementally and fairly. Also, there's an unexpected continue feature included, which makes this a great choice for shmup novices as well.

This is one of the best shmups of its era, besting legends like Defender, River Raid, Scramble, Super Cobra, and others. I own a boxed copy of the 5200 port as well, though I have yet to play it.

There's also a Vanguard II, which didn't receive a port until the PSP release of SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 0. I tried it once and don't recall being particularly impressed.

Moar Atari games to come.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

dsheinem wrote:Also, WTF? How are there 60+ pages in this thread already and its only mid-February? :shock: :?

This thread is the lifeblood of Racketboy these days.

---

Nice beat on Vanguard, Bone. Vanguard is the first shmup I ever fell in love with. Such an innovative and creative game for its time. Vanguard was the first shmup I owned other than Astro Warrior on SMS. (I've never looped Vanguard, but I did loop Astro Warrior.)
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Oh man I suck at Astro Warrior. Never had much luck with that one. I do enjoy it though, enough to buy two copies (standalone and with Hang On).
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Exhuminator wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Also, WTF? How are there 60+ pages in this thread already and its only mid-February? :shock: :?

This thread is the lifeblood of Racketboy these days.

---

Nice beat on Vanguard, Bone. Vanguard is the first shmup I ever fell in love with. Such an innovative and creative game for its time. Vanguard was the first shmup I owned other than Astro Warrior on SMS. (I've never looped Vanguard, but I did loop Astro Warrior.)

I agree. This thread is great, and it is my favorite part of the forum. I would love to post here again, but DQVII is apparently an endless game...
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

We just like to talk a lot. :)
Damm64
Next-Gen

Post by Damm64 »

Xeogred wrote:I have lost track of how many times I've RE-bought the RE games and REplayed them. But yeah after my last run through most of them and the newest PS4 releases, I think REmake is my cemented #1. It's perfect. RE2 and RE4 come close, but REmake is just too good.

I really hope they remake RE3 and maybe code veronica as well. That way you can have all the best version of each game on the PS4.

RE2 and RE4 are my favorites in the franchise depending of the day you ask me i could say RE2 is my favorite of the franchise or RE4.
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Ack wrote:Lots of discussion and long posts, and some of these guys don't do much on their downtime.

I'll have you know that I do a LOT on my downtime! Just look at all the games I've beaten!
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:I blame Elkin, Exhuminator, Bone, and Popo. Beatin' too many games

That was a definite legit accusation towards myself for 2016. But 2017? Not so much. I've only beaten 7 games so far this year, and the longest one was just 15 hours. I don't see myself beating over 100 this year guys. :wink:

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
Ack wrote:Lots of discussion and long posts, and some of these guys don't do much on their downtime.

I'll have you know that I do a LOT on my downtime! Just look at all the games I've beaten!

Keep in mind Elkin, folks like you and I spend our gaming time playing single player games, so that tends to end with beating them. Others spend most of their gaming downtime playing online multiplayer games that don't technically get "beaten". That type of online gaming doesn't equate into this thread, despite how much time is actually invested in it.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Yeah, I would like to do a write up of Overwatch at some point, but as it can't be beaten I'll just have to decide where to write it.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

My "goal" is to beat about 52 games this year. So one per week. I'm a bit ahead of schedule, but I've been drifting towards shorter stuff. I'll be much busier this summer, and that's also the time I tend to play longer games.