6. Overlord II (PS3)
7. Overlord: Dark Legend (Wii)
8. La-Mulana (Remake) (PC)
9. Infamous: Second Son (PS4)
10. htol#NiQ: The Firefly Diary (Vita)
11. Blood Bowl (360)
12. Dead to Rights: Retribution (360)
13. Bioshock Infinite (360)
14. Bioshock Infinite: Burial At Sea Part 1 (360)
15. Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea Part 2 (360)
16. Singularity (360)
17. Seifuku Densetsu Pretty Fighter X (Saturn)
18. Ultraman: Hikari No Kyojin Densetsu (Saturn)

19. Donkey Kong 64 (N64) (repeat)

Once again, the strongest emotion evoked by playing games from my childhood is not nostalgia, but a sense of amazement at how I ever beat them without reading ANYTHING EVER. ALL of the dialogue is always so unfamiliar, I can distinctly remember even skipping over it all the time, too. Props to babby me for having the patience to just brute force his way through games X3

This is the first time I've played this game in quiiite a few years, and this time I was, at the outset, going for 100%. I quickly realized I didn't have the patience to do that, though, and just went for "as much as I can stand" :lol: I ended up around 16.5 hours and 185 golden bananas, and all but one fairy, crown, and medal (and an assortment of a little over 100 bananas). I have no idea how the average time on HLTB is over 30 hours. That's a bit insane to be given that you only need 100 bananas to beat the game. Maybe it's people just having a hard time finding things like the Rare or N64 coins?

This is definitely the 2nd worst of the Rare platformers (with Conker of course taking the bottom spot, Banjo 2-E at first and Banjo 1-E at 2nd). The design philosophy around switching kongs REALLY extenuates the "theme park" approach to level design, and makes the levels feel much less alive and more planned out than something like Banjo, especially 2-E. This game definitely has some mechanical problems as well.

Compared to something like Banjo or Mario 64, the kongs do control a little slippery (a complaint I have heard about the game before, but only now have really come to realize). It's not game breaking by any extent, but it can be aggravating and off-putting at first with how much momentum the kongs seem to carry. It definitely takes a little getting used to. A LOT of the bonus games too are fuckin' shit and I hate 'em. Some, some are just annoying, like the ones that rely on reaction time to shoot the banana when the lights go on and off, but the beaver-herding one especially just does not fucking work. The beavers always run into the side of the hole, as if it weren't a hole but a wall, and given that there are not one but TWO instance of the hardest version of that game, I just said fuck it after a half an hour of trying.

The framerate is really inconsistent as well. They were clearly really pushing the hardware in terms of how many objects could be on screen at once, because some areas in particular (World 7 boss, llama temple, a couple others) just had the framerate dipping aaaall the time. Again, it wasn't anything game breaking, but it was still very noticeable.

The game still has such good style though. It's not quite as funny as Banjo 2-E or as memorable as Conker's, but it's still good. The music fantastic of course, and the kongs really all feel like they have their own personalities, even though they never talk. Their idle animations especially would always make me chuckle X3

Verdict: Recommended. If you like collectathon 3D platformers, you'll probably enjoy DK64. It's not the best on the system by any means, but it's still a good game. Kong switching isn't the most fluid or well implemented thing in the world, but DK64 certainly flows and feels better than a really tedious cluster-fuck like Earthworm Jim 3D.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by alienjesus »

Wow, it's been a depressingly long time since I last updated this list...

1. 3D Power Drift 3DS
2. Maze Hunter 3-D 3DS
3. Hyrule Warriors Legends 3DS
4. Icarus Proudbottom's World of Typing Weekly PC
5. Paper Mario N64
6. Catherine PS3
7. Glover N64
8. Blast Corps N64
9. Snipperclips: Cut It Out, Together! Switch eShop *NEW*

Snipperclips: Cut It Out, Together

Snipperclips is a co-operative puzzle game for Nintendo Switch, where you play as two little paper dudes and attempt to solve challenges. You do so using a variety of simple abilities - you can rotate your body 360 degrees, stand on top of each other, and cut shapes out of each other by overlapping your body over your partners and hitting a button. Creative cutting is often necessary to proceed, but if things go awry your partner can regrow their body in order to try again. You can also switch between fully formed and cut out which can be useful if you both need to be cut into the right shape.

Challenges take many forms - the most common require you to either cut a piece of paper into a certain shape, or cut yourselves into shapes in order to fill an outline. Other challenges include catching fish, putting a basketball through a hoop, making a plant grow, forcefully, and stopping gel hitting little blobby guys in order to let them sleep. There's some good variety here, and the game isn't too hand holdy about how to complete the challenges. I'm sure some of them can be beaten dozens of different ways.

I played the whole game co-op with my girlfriend, using the sideways joycons. Although they don't feel very comfortable on first use, you quickly become accustomed to them. The L and R button are always in the way though, but luckily they go completely unused in this game so it doesn't affect anything. Pro-tip to all you co-oppers out there - take the player 2 Joycon if given the choice, as it feels way comfier having more space for the control stick and less for the buttons than vice versa.

The game is a lot of fun, and the two characters are very charming, pulling a variety of amusing expressions as you play. Some of the leery faces pulled whilst crouching are my favourite.

The biggest issue with the game is it's length - it's incredibly short, with only 45 stages to play through. It took me and my girlfriend about 2 and a half hours to play through them all, and frankly, we were left wanting more, because we had a great time up until it ended. It doesn't feel like it's been finished, as I feel there's still a lot more they could do with the mechanics.

Snipperclips is a ton of fun in 2 player, but it's incredibly short lived. It looks like theres a solid hour or so of fun to be had with some 4 player puzzles too, but I haven't tried those out yet. The game can be played in single player, but I feel you'd lose a lot of the fun in trying to co-operate and explain ideas to your buddy without a second player. If you have someone to play this with, give it a shot. It's absolutely worth the price for a solid afternoon of 2 player gaming fun, even if it is a bit pricy for the content that's there.
Last edited by alienjesus on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Great write up alienjesus. I reckon I'm about a third of the way through Snipperclips. Maybe halfway, don't exactly remember. I played through most of the first world with a friend of mine and have played through several more levels with one of my students during lunch. It's a great co-op game.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:The one and only bomberman every person needs to play is Saturn Bomberman.

Disagree completely. Saturn Bomberman is good, but Bomberman DS does everything it did better, except it caps at 8 player instead of 10 in multiplayer. I am honestly surprised that R does not support 10 or 12 player. Super Bomberman 5: Gold Edition is a close third, being 5 with everything unlocked. It is only 5 player, but it is the best of the "classics."

Sadly Atomic Bomberman, aka the other 10 player one, is not great. It has sluggish controls, horrible soundeffects, and limited map selection.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Wario Blast will always be my one true Bomberman, mostly because there was a demo station in a Target that I played a ton of.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

My brother used to take folks on over the 'net in Atomic Bomberman. Good times. (He would routinely kick my posterior, by the way.)
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

fastbilly1 wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:The one and only bomberman every person needs to play is Saturn Bomberman.

Disagree completely. Saturn Bomberman is good, but Bomberman DS does everything it did better, except it caps at 8 player instead of 10 in multiplayer. I am honestly surprised that R does not support 10 or 12 player. Super Bomberman 5: Gold Edition is a close third, being 5 with everything unlocked. It is only 5 player, but it is the best of the "classics."

Sadly Atomic Bomberman, aka the other 10 player one, is not great. It has sluggish controls, horrible soundeffects, and limited map selection.

Yes! Thank you! Someone else who has played Super Bomberman 5! It is definitely my favorite Bomberman game. The characters are all so silly and funny (I love the Blues Brothers the most, myself). SO many powerups, kangaroos, and dripping with style. That game so GUUUD.

Bomberman Blast on Wiiware is also quite fun, I'll say :)
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

So which Turok do you like most Popo?

Hoping that awesome reboot gets an HD remaster?

PartridgeSenpai wrote:Verdict: Recommended. If you like collectathon 3D platformers, you'll probably enjoy DK64. It's not the best on the system by any means, but it's still a good game. Kong switching isn't the most fluid or well implemented thing in the world, but DK64 certainly flows and feels better than a really tedious cluster-fuck like Earthworm Jim 3D.

Good lord... I forget Earthworm Jim 3D exists. Never played it but it doesn't sound like I need to.

I never played much of Conquers Bad Fur Day either and I hear the 360 remaster actually censored and downgraded some stuff?
Damm64
Next-Gen

Post by Damm64 »

Xeogred wrote:I never played much of Conquers Bad Fur Day either and I hear the 360 remaster actually censored and downgraded some stuff?

The remake is on the original xbox and yes it was actually censored and altereded in various sections. The most notable being the the great mighty poo song was censored with fart noises while the N64 version has none of that. Could never beat it, they broke one section of the game where you have to race while surfing on lava, on the remake if you hit anything,lets say a tiny part of a wall, while you are pressing the boost speed you will die, in the N64 version you could take a few hits while going at high speed.
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.

MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Xeogred wrote:So which Turok do you like most Popo?

Well, I've only played the two Night Dive remasters, but I think Turok 2 ends up feeling slightly better in the end. Turok 2 I never died to an enemy, just to pits, whereas Turok 1 had several portions of egregiously high damage enemies that were impossible to dodge the damage on. I also thought the weaponry in Turok 2 was overall more useful (and the cerebral bore never gets old). But I think Turok 1 had better level lengths and none of the levels felt like a drag to play. Turok 2 had better level aesthetic designs but some had crappy gameplay design.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.