Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by isiolia »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:There's also a fair amount of crafting in Demon's Souls, and the cooking/crafting in BOTW feels very similar to the crafting in that game.

For equipment, perhaps, but none of the Souls games use crafting for consumables (that I recall). You buy them, find them, or have an supply that's automatically replenished.

BoTW, you're looking at making food or potions or whatnot to both heal you, but (potentially) allow you to get past challenges. Whether that's surviving the cold, having stamina to climb something, etc.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

everything is the Dark Souls of something.
Omerta
Next-Gen

Post by Omerta »

As far as the games that BotW takes elements from are concerned, I wonder to what degree those ones were inspired by a previous Zelda or Nintendo game. Circle of life, baby.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Yeah, I was going to say, as good as HZD is, it's apparently very derivative of games that have come before it. Both of these games are taking elements from others and putting their own spins on them.

I haven't played HZD, but is it fair to say that perhaps it is a little more structured as far as its open world goes, compared to Zelda? I'm just struck by how organic everything feels in Zelda.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

noiseredux wrote:everything is the Dark Souls of something.

If we're talking difficulty, Zelda II is the Dark Souls of the Zelda series.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Omerta wrote:As far as the games that BotW takes elements from are concerned, I wonder to what degree those ones were inspired by a previous Zelda or Nintendo game. Circle of life, baby.

I remember reading a breakdown one time where someone showed all the influences that formed the original Zelda. I wish I could find that now and show you guys (just a fun read). But it only proves your point further; every game is mostly a derivative influence of other games before it. And that's perfectly understandable.
ElkinFencer10 wrote:If we're talking difficulty, Zelda II is the Dark Souls of the Zelda series.

This man speaks the truth.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
noiseredux wrote:everything is the Dark Souls of something.

If we're talking difficulty, Zelda II is the Dark Souls of the Zelda series.

Demon Souls is the Dark Souls of Bloodborn.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Sarge wrote:Yeah, I was going to say, as good as HZD is, it's apparently very derivative of games that have come before it. Both of these games are taking elements from others and putting their own spins on them.

I haven't played HZD, but is it fair to say that perhaps it is a little more structured as far as its open world goes, compared to Zelda? I'm just struck by how organic everything feels in Zelda.

HZD is definitely a highly derivative game in most respects - mechanically at least - but either copies from the best or iterates on things slightly to the point that there's little it doesn't do in an exemplary fashion. Part of that is having a nice detailed map with clear direction on where to go, what to do, and so on. Get a piece of loot, and it tells you (in general terms) what it's useful for, etc.

The main thing that isn't necessarily as structured is fighting machines, as there's a wide range of weapons and tactics that'll work (though some will work better).

BoTW is definitely the less structured of the two, even if the end result is still going around to different points of interest to do one thing or another. The environment in general is far more interactive as well, but it's also a lot more of what the game seems to be about.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I think that's a good summary, especially how there's a lot of ways of approaching HZD's combat. I definitely thing it has stronger combat than Zelda does. But Zelda's never been huge about the combat, so I don't see it as a big downside.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Wow, what a pot that was stirred! Unfavorable BotW comparisons or any perceived slights certainly seem to rise people's dander!

On a related note, I thought the point raised earlier about Zelda's high review scores being based, in part, on it being a Zelda game was interesting. If the game featured some random new character/world and didn't incorporate the same imagery, music, icons, etc. that are so closely associated with a beloved series, would it have earned scores as high as it did?

What if the lead character were just some other random pointy-eared tropish adventurer/hero? I know it is hard to separate "Zelda" from "Breath of the Wild", but what if the game were some new Nintendo IP, similar to how HZD is a new IP? Would its scores still be as strong as they were? Would they be closer to...or even lagging behind....the consensus/aggregate scores for HZD? I think they likely would...