Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by Exhuminator »

noiseredux wrote:if you have the right personality for it, it becomes this totally mindless yet steady stream of endorphin explosions that seem to trigger in tandem with the flash of lightning from leveling up

I agree I wasn't the target demographic. (Apparently my wife and daughter weren't either.)

Like I said, I don't think Diablo III is a bad game. It just didn't entertain me at all personally. I'd rather play Icewind Dale, Soma Bringer, or Dark Alliance any day over it. They offer the same kind of dungeon exploring and endless killing and looting, but were much more entertaining for my taste.

I'm glad you and Dsh enjoy Diablo III though, don't get me wrong. More power to you guys.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I get you, totally. There are definitely games that I've played and I'm like "well, I think it's great that people like this... but it's not for me." The Witcher 3 comes to mind.

I think another way I'd elaborate is to say that there are way better RPG's, or action RPG's or whatever. And if I'm in the right mood, I'd rather play those. But I've been in the midst of an extremely busy month and to be totally honest, Diablo III requires so little brain activity to actually play it - it was kind of exactly what I needed. Something where I never had to really think all that much, but could still get some feeling of "progression."
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Exhuminator wrote:Now everyone has their own personal tastes, and I'm not saying Diablo III is crap. I'm just saying I personally don't understand what's great about it. As for my little gaming group mentioned, we had a lot more fun playing Soma Bringer multiplayer, which is similar to Diablo, but we all found it far more entertaining.

To be fair, Diablo III is designed to be played a hell of a lot more than anyone that's posted thus far seems to have played it. There are whole other modes to get into. A lot of the fun is similar to MMOs or whatnot in pushing for that next upgrade (so you can ratchet up the difficulty and get yet better loot, etc). It's just extremely fast by comparison.
Personally, I found it fun enough to blast through. It didn't "click" for me in the sense of playing every day for years on end, like the series does for some people.

The main thing with the console version of D3 that can be tiresome is that you can wind up waiting as people equip new abilities or gear, which tends to happen a -lot-.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

isiolia wrote:The main thing with the console version of D3 that can be tiresome is that you can wind up waiting as people equip new abilities or gear, which tends to happen a -lot-.

Definitely. We ended up having specific moments where we would just all do our equips and upgrades.

I loved Diablo 3, my fiance and I played each character to max, did the post-game portal run thingies, all that jazz. Probably put around 500 hours into it, and still didn't reach the higher levels of play that were available.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

noiseredux wrote:Diablo III requires so little brain activity to actually play it

This is probably why I didn't like it.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Exhuminator wrote:
noiseredux wrote:Diablo III requires so little brain activity to actually play it

This is probably why I didn't like it.

yup. Understood. There are certainly times that I prefer a much deeper game. And then there are times when I'm too busy/stressed/tired to really have the focus that such a game would demand. Those are the times when I'll lean towards these sorts of games where it's kind of a mindless relaxation. Diablo III was almost more akin to my playthroughs of Cities: Skylines or Planet Coaster than it was to any RPG or action game.

Of course, I was also just playing through on Normal - and as isiolia pointed out, other folks get obsessed w/ D3 and it becomes this cycle of playing through it over and over again on harder and harder difficulties.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Yeah, when we play its on a higher difficulty (Extreme maybe? Whatever the default is for a new character, which is not nearly as high as the highest, but still challenging).

Also, perma-death of course, only way to play the game imo.

Doing those made the game tense, and brought out a lot of defensive mechanics that are pretty useless when there is no penalty whatsoever for death.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I didn't know there was permadeath! That's cool. I only died once in my playthrough and it was within the first house when I was still getting a handle on the various skills and everything. Had I known about permadeath I probably would've started over as I was so early in the game anyway.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Exhuminator wrote:This is probably why I didn't like it.

I think D3 (and most MMOs, etc) tend to start like that, and eventually ramp up to the point that you need to be pretty smart about build choices and strategies for approaching different enemies or you will fail. Diablo games also have permadeath modes to raise the stakes a bit. :lol:

Diablo has a lot of randomized content, and one aspect of that are "monster affixes" or additional traits that some groups of them get. On harder difficulties, they can have multiple, typically making them more interesting foes.

Running through it on low difficulty is kind of like button mashing through a Street Fighter game on Easy. Understandable enough to get bored of, but also hardly the full extent of what the game can be.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

isiolia wrote:I think D3 (and most MMOs, etc) tend to start like that, and eventually ramp up to the point that you need to be pretty smart about build choices and strategies for approaching different enemies or you will fail.

Its unfortunate that a lot of tedium is often required to get to the content in MMOs that I really enjoy. I wish there was a game that was essentially just picking a load out and doing high end raid content.

I did really like early FFXI for being pretty demanding almost immediately.