Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

TSTR wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:
TSTR wrote:Valid point. But I find the practice of "oh here y'all, buy this old game and maybe we'll do more related to it if it sells well enough" a little scummy. I don't know why.

No, you're totally right. Unfortunately, just developers aren't usually enough - you need those publishers for a game to see the light of day. A necessary evil, so to speak. It's why I love devs that self-publish.

Amen.

And Nintendo's VC is purposefully setup to extract as much cash from the consumer as possible. Grimy? You be the judge. I don't use it, save for a couple of old Club Nintendo rewards.

I never mind throwing money at Nintendo simply because they're Nintendo, so I'll abstain. :P
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

TSTR wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:
TSTR wrote:Valid point. But I find the practice of "oh here y'all, buy this old game and maybe we'll do more related to it if it sells well enough" a little scummy. I don't know why.

No, you're totally right. Unfortunately, just developers aren't usually enough - you need those publishers for a game to see the light of day. A necessary evil, so to speak. It's why I love devs that self-publish.

Amen.

And Nintendo's VC is purposefully setup to extract as much cash from the consumer as possible. Grimy? You be the judge. I don't use it, save for a couple of old Club Nintendo rewards.

Here are my thoughts on the topic. If I am buying physical old games, I have to do it from a physical store to support local business. I will only buy online for game components like cases or manuals or if there is an insanely good deal.

Virtual Console/Digital old games go to someone to show interest in the series. I will happily put the money down for it. When we talk about Nintendo and their virtual console prices, what is more expensive. $10 for Earthbound or $100? The majority of the games listed are cheaper than the cost of a physical and come with extra features... like how the upcoming switch will have them include online multiplayer when applicable.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

I like Bogus' thoughts on buying physical mostly from local retailers to prop up business, good idea.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

TSTR wrote:I like Bogus' thoughts on buying physical mostly from local retailers to prop up business, good idea.

It makes it easier when I have a local place that gets games like Enemy Zero on Saturn CIB for $30.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

OH HAI HERE'S A WOUND BOGUS WHY DON'T YOU RUB SOME OF THAT NICE SALT INTO IT

:lol:
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

TSTR wrote:OH HAI HERE'S A WOUND BOGUS WHY DON'T YOU RUB SOME OF THAT NICE SALT INTO IT

:lol:

Shaky Shaky Shaky Shaky.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

1. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
2. Gyromite (NES)
3. Lucy -The Eternity She Wished For- (Steam)
So, about a year and a half ago I discovered that I really dig visual novels. For the uninitiated, visual novels are a specific type of adventure game characterized by limited player activity and static graphics ("stills"). The name is meant to be taken quite literally, they are novels (well, short stories more often than not) experienced visually. Most of these games originate from Japan, and the ones that don't typically ape the Japanese anime art style.

There are many different varieties of VNs and, surprisingly, Steam offers quite the assortment. After some experimentation I've found that I don't have much use for the super-lengthy branching VNs (far too easy to run into a dreaded "bad ending" without a walkthrough) nor am I wild about the fan service-y eroge type (where the stories are just paper-thin rationalizations to display naked ladiez). No, what I enjoy best are the moderately-paced <10 hour well-written tales with heavy character development. What a revelation.

Enter Lucy -The Eternity She Wished For- (oh, another thing about visual novels is this annoying ass trend of using bizarre punctuation and capitalization in the title). The history behind this one is pretty interesting. It was initially released in Korea seven years ago, and was recently remade with new graphics and English and Japanese text options. Funding was provided via Kickstarter. Even in its remade state, Korea remains the setting and default voiced language.
The tale here is as old as time. Or at least as old as anime. Yes, what we have here is yet another Robot Girl story characterized by all the appropriate clichés: it's an examination of the ethics of android technology as well as the nature of relationships between man and machine. To get into specifics, the plot of Lucy is similar to that of Chobits. Almost too similar to be considered a coincidence. Both scenarios begin with a young man discovering a discarded female android who is initially unable to communicate but eventually develops into a sort of servant and, later, a confidant. But while Chobits features an adorably clumsy and affable male protagonist, Lucy is seen through the eyes of a depressed high school student with an absentee mother and unloving authoritarian father. Yikes. And who is this young man? Why, it's you. Yes, in a strange move the developers of Lucy decided to write from the second person perspective. I suppose this is intended to be immersive, but it comes off as awkward because the text makes it clear that the protagonist is both "you" and an 18-year-old Korean.

Lucy is a really gorgeous game. I found myself mesmerized by the backgrounds of all things, and was left wondering if this tale was intended to be futuristic or if modern-day urban Korea simply looks this advanced. The sprites are well-drawn, and look much better here than in the original, and all feature a multitude of stills with the titular Lucy being the most "animated." Lucy is the only character with a "voice" and Korean voice-over is excellent, though the option for a Japanese voice is present as well.
Unfortunately, the way the story is presented is just okay (no spoilers I promise). The protagonist is extremely whiny and unlikable for the bulk of the game. He does "come around" - as expected - towards the game's conclusion, but his transformation happens too quickly. That isn't to say the game is too short - it isn't - but there's an undeniable problem with pacing here. The game doesn't know when to end either. There's a traditional ending with a credit roll, then a bonus scenario with another credit roll (why?), and then another scene that transpires decades after the main event. It's too much.

That isn't to say the writing is necessarily weak. There are some great vignettes and genuinely humorous moments. And (surprise surprise), there are some tearjerker scenes sprinkled in as well. In fact, the entire final hour (of the "main" game, that is) is pretty damn tragic. Yet all these scenes feel clobbered together in a clumsy fashion, and the tone of the writing fluctuates wildly.

Ultimately, I enjoyed this well enough but I'm also a fan of the genre. I'd recommend it hesitantly - only to those who already enjoy VNs and are looking for more. If you're unfamiliar with this type of game there are much better ways to get your feet wet.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

Been pretty heavy into Persona 4 Golden so I haven't really had much time for other games recently :P. Did however get most of the way through VVVVVV on the Vita while I was having my tires alligned the other day so I polished it off tonight.

1. VVVVVV (Vita)

I even got most of the collectibles although I'm not going to bother going back even though I did get the hardest one which is freaking ridiculous. Basically 5 screens of death with no check points and to make things worse when you get through them you have to ricochet back and do them in reverse being sure to land properly at the end to get over the smallest barrier ever :lol: . Since I don't have the reflexes of fucking NEO that took a while to program into muscle memory :P. It was even more fun thanks to the mushy directional pad this game definitely is designed with the precision of a keyboard in mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXJs3BVJujg
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

Starting off 2017 with a few in the belt notches.

1. Runbow - Wii U
2. Battlefield 1 - Xbox One
3. Until Dawn - PS4
4. Super Mario Sunshine - Gamecube

1. Runbow is pretty sweet, the Bowhemoth is a monstrous tough platform hell. Really cool mechanics to this game. I think everyone should give it a go. I think I only died like 500 times in my marathon run.
2. Battlefield 1 is nuts. The online is spectacular and difficult.
3. Until Dawn is absolutely terrifying and gripping. I dig it, but I likely won't play through it again.
4. Super Mario Sunshine has been in my collection for quite a while, I just never had the patience to keep at it after getting frustrated with a few of the stages. This time, I was persistent and can proudly say that I've beaten every Super Mario game up through New Super Mario Brothers Wii. All that's left is beating Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 and I'll be current with all console Super Mario games. That'll be a cool goal.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Sarge wrote:Yep, Robobot was one of my favorites from last year. It doesn't do a ton differently from other Kirby games, but the mech suit is a nice touch.

I love that it continues to put Kirby in stories with storylines that try to be fairly deep, with characters who talk all serious and the like, while Kirby is still just totally silent like he's always been X3
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me