Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Xeogred Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:41 pm

That game looks so much cooler than I Am Setsuna to me, heh. I'll check it out sometime.

You keep ragging on pixel art lately Elkin... that is what sells me on indie games, but maybe you just need to be really picky about it like I am. It needs to look like Shovel Knight, Axiom Verge, Momodora, etc for me to be impressed and like the aesthetic. IE, I want it to look like an authentic game that could have been on the NES-PSX. If it doesn't pass that test, then all I think is that... looks like it was made in Flash or something and it's ugly. :P It can be a tricky ground sometime, but that's basically the science I apply to it and it's easy to distinguish since I grew up in those eras I guess.

In other news...

I am the GOD of Sonic. Polished off all the trophies, a full run of Sonic + Tails, Knuckles, and Tails. I might wrap it up with a solo Sonic run sometime soon. I could not put this game down... and still don't even think I'm ready, so that solo Sonic run will probably start soon. This game is literally perfect.

The Hall of the Gods 2017 for me so far:
1. Nier Automata
2. Zelda Breath of the Wild
3. Sonic Mania
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:01 pm

Key-Glyph wrote:I think Mega Man 3 might have my favorite soundtrack of the original trilogy. I can say this with 90% certainty because I was singing along a heck of a lot more than I remember doing with 2.

Yeah, totally. I love the MM3 soundtrack. The main title theme is an awesome lead in to a bunch of stage themes that are all tremendous (except for maybe Topman), and stage select, password, and power up themes that are all way better than they have any business being. When you tie it all up with the great Wily 2, Wily boss theme, and staff roll tracks, that's a glorious OST.

Is it just me, or do Needleman and Hardman's themes sound like they wouldn't be out of place in a Sonic game?

Whenever I think of NES Mega Man games, I pretty much think of just MM3. MM2 to a lesser extent as well--it's great for Metal Man's theme, and metal blades--but otherwise, I'm all about MM3.

Markies wrote:I will always have a treasured spot in my heart for the original Legend of Zelda. That game was my childhood and I beat it countless times. For my second spot, I always said Ocarina of Time was it. For now, I think it has some competition.

I'm happy to see that you ended up enjoying Wind Waker. It's my favorite 3D Zelda, partly because of, as you mentioned, how expressive the characters are. I really love how rich the graphical style makes the world feel, too. The exploration in the game hooked me pretty well, but it would probably have been harder to deal with if everything weren't so dang pleasant to look at. I still think it was a bit of a waste of time and resources for Nintendo to remake the game for the WiiU, but they changed some things that made it easier for people who wouldn't have otherwise played the game, so I guess that's cool. I think it would've been a whole lot more appealing without all the Bloom, though.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:27 pm

1. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
2. Gyromite (NES)
3. Lucy -The Eternity She Wished For- (Steam)
4. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (Famicom)
5. Radical Dreamers (SNES)
6. Video Games 1 (TI-99/4A)
7. Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken (Famicom)
8. Exile (TurboGrafx CD)
9. Exile: Wicked Phenomenon (TurboGrafx CD)
10. Xak (PC Engine CD, Xak I・II)
11. Xak II (PC Engine CD, Xak I・II)
12. Neutopia (TurboGrafx-16)
13. Captain Silver (Sega Master System)
14. Märchen Veil (Famicom Disk System)
15. Vanguard (Atari 2600)
16. Kangaroo (Atari 2600)
17. Front Line (Atari 2600)
18. Mario Bros. (Atari 2600)
19. Harmonia (Steam)
20. Donkey Kong (Atari 2600)
21. Jungle Hunt (Atari 2600)
22. Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes (TurboGrafx CD)
23. Gorf (Atari 2600)
24. Neutopia II (TurboGrafx-16)
25. Dungeon Magic (PlayStation 2, Taito Legends 2)
26. The Lost Vikings (SNES)
27. Blue's Journey (Wii Virtual Console)
28. Wizard Fire (Wii, Data East Arcade Classics)
29. Super Mario Run (Android)
30. Dragon Warrior II (NES)
31. Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure (GOG.com)
32. Witch & Hero (Nintendo eShop)
33. Phoenix (Atari 2600)
34. Emerald Dragon (Super Famicom)
35. Sky Skipper (Atari 2600)
36. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
37. Cadash (TurboGrafx-16)
38. Cadash (Genesis)
39. Popeye (Atari 2600)
40. Mega Man 2 (NES)
41. Mother (Famicom)
42. Scramble (Game Boy Advance, Konami Collector's Series: Arcade Advanced)
43. Super Cobra (Atari 2600)
44. Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II (GameCube)
45. Mecha Ritz: Steel Rondo (Steam)
46. Donkey Kong (Wii Virtual Console)
47. Donkey Kong Jr. (Wii Virtual Console)
48. Donkey Kong 3 (Wii Virtual Console)
49. Donkey Kong Jr. Math (Wii Virtual Console)
50. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (Nintendo 64)
51. Xak: The Art of Visual Stage (Super Famicom)
52. Yoshi's Woolly World (Wii U)

This is pretty fun! My daughter watched me play a segment and she seemed to enjoy it as well.

This plays like your typical "Yoshi" game. It's a 2D platformer with some distinct controls. Yoshi can do a prolonged flutter-jump and is able to fire eggs yarn balls, which are aimed with a rotating cursor. Visually, it's gorgeous with a yarn and fabric theme reminiscent of Kirby's Epic Yarn. There's a similar relaxed vibe present here as well. Lives are infinite - there isn't even a tally - and one can choose to play on an easier mode where Yoshi simple flies over everything (or so I think, I never utilized this). That isn't to say the game is easy; difficulty increases steadily and the final stretch can get rather tricky. There's a bit of disparity overall regarding both stage length and challenge. Some can be breezed through, while others are designed in the "ghost house" fashion with locking doors, multiple paths, and so on. The final castle features my arch nemesis: a color puzzle that sent me looking for a walkthrough.

The best aspect about the game is all the "gimmicks." Nearly every stage brings something new to the table. One level has Yoshi bouncing on giant bubbles, in another he's tunneling through stone, or floating on high winds, or sticking to velcro, or rolling snow into snowballs, and so on. There's so much ingenuity here, and everything is so masterfully designed and programmed; nothing feels tacked-on or contrived (contrast this to my recent failed go at Donkey Kong Country 2, which I felt consisted of a bunch of "randomness" strung together).

There is some collectathon stuff that I didn't really care for. Thankfully it's all optional. My game came with an amiibo. I don't even know what that is or what it does. Others may find these elements way more interesting; I like to keep it straightforward and simple. There are some weird Miiverse scribbles displayed between levels. Today I saw one that said "FART." I laughed because I am twelve years old.

Overall, fun ass game. Probably my second favorite Wii U platformer after New Super Mario Bros. U.

Oh wow I just played a modern game.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:40 pm

In your defense, it doesn't play like a modern game, Bone. ;)

Also, I'm waiting for the LRG release of Cosmic Star Heroine. That's the only reason I don't own it yet. If I can't get it, then I'll buy on GOG.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:49 pm

How about 3D World, Bone? I could see you liking that one. Most of the levels have fixed camera angles. You have a classic SMB3 styled world map and just go level to level. Love the simplicity to it. Seems to get overlooked for some reason, I think everyone assumes it can only be played chaotically in multiplayer or something. I played the entire game solo and loved it.

Maybe you'd dig Tropical Freeze too, despite also not like DKC2. I like the DKCR games more than the New Super Mario Bros stuff. They are also less on the collectathon elements compared to DKC2 and DKC3.

But yeah Woolly World sounds amazing.
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:33 am

pierrot wrote:
Markies wrote:I will always have a treasured spot in my heart for the original Legend of Zelda. That game was my childhood and I beat it countless times. For my second spot, I always said Ocarina of Time was it. For now, I think it has some competition.

I'm happy to see that you ended up enjoying Wind Waker. It's my favorite 3D Zelda, partly because of, as you mentioned, how expressive the characters are. I really love how rich the graphical style makes the world feel, too. The exploration in the game hooked me pretty well, but it would probably have been harder to deal with if everything weren't so dang pleasant to look at.

I agree 100% and felt the exact same way. It wasn't until the Triforce Charts when I wandered if it was too much exploration. However, by the end, I was still excited and interested to look around. The expressions and the atmosphere of the game is just amazing.

Also, I live smack dab in the middle of the US. For me to see an ocean, I have to drive at least 6 to 8 hours. So, for me, this was the closest I was going to get and to have some sort of sea travel. It felt like it for me as I could almost smell the sea water.

I realized that I had been playing that game for 5 months and I couldn't believe it. It felt way shorter and like I had always been playing it. I just absolutely loved it and it will be VERY high on my Best Games of 2017!
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:03 am

Woah, you guy are really selling me on Windwaker. I've never seen it in action, but I've had it recommended based on my love of the ocean and sailing.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:There are some weird Miiverse scribbles displayed between levels. Today I saw one that said "FART." I laughed because I am twelve years old.

I laughed at the thought of this and also of your laughing at it, because I am eight.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:19 am

Xeogred wrote:That game looks so much cooler than I Am Setsuna to me, heh. I'll check it out sometime.

You keep ragging on pixel art lately Elkin... that is what sells me on indie games, but maybe you just need to be really picky about it like I am. It needs to look like Shovel Knight, Axiom Verge, Momodora, etc for me to be impressed and like the aesthetic. IE, I want it to look like an authentic game that could have been on the NES-PSX. If it doesn't pass that test, then all I think is that... looks like it was made in Flash or something and it's ugly. :P It can be a tricky ground sometime, but that's basically the science I apply to it and it's easy to distinguish since I grew up in those eras I guess.

I enjoyed it a lot more than I Am Setsuna, although that was also an amazing game. I'm definitely prejudiced against pixel art, but as I think I've shown, that's not my only criterion, and I'm perfectly happy to say I was wrong when the style is done well as was the case with Cave Story+ and Cosmic Star Heroine. It's just been SO overdone by indie devs that I'm sick of it.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:30 am

damn, Cosmic Star Heroine really looks awesome. It was on my want-list, but I've also gotten kind of burned out on some of these retro throwbacks. But seriously, this looks great.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:37 pm

1. Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero (Wii U)
2. Blek (iOS)
3. Bloo Kid 2 (3DS)
4. HarmoKnight (3DS)
5. 3D Fantasy Zone II W (3DS)
6. Fantasy Zone (SMS/3DS)
7. 3D Fantasy Zone Opa Opa Bros. (ARC/3DS)
8. Fantasy Zone II: The Tears of Opa Opa (SMS/3DS)
9. 3D Classics Twinbee (NES/3DS)
10. Rainbow Bell a/k/a Twinbee (ARC/DS)
11. The Legend of Zelda:Breath of the Wild (Wii U)
12. The Guardian Legend (NES)
13. The Clash at Demonhead (NES)
14. The Goonies II (NES)
15. Day of the Tentacle Remastered (iOS)
16. Mario Kart 64 (N64/Wii U)
17. Drancia Saga (3DS)
18. Chain Blaster (3DS)
19. Color Commando (DS)
20. Ace Mathician (DS)
21. Jump Trials Supreme (3DS)
22. Dragon Quest VII (3DS)
23. Fairune II (3DS)
24. RBI Baseball (NES)
25. River City Tokyo Rumble (3DS)
26. Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (Wii U)
27. Arkanoid vs. Space Invaders (iOS)

Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara Is a solid collection of Capcom beat 'em ups, but not the height of the genre. (I actually beat Tower of Doom in the arcade more than twenty years ago. It hasn't aged as well as my memory of it.) I played through both of the games in the collection with my children, who absolutely loved them. (My daughter was thrilled at how effective the mistress of magic is against some of the later bosses.) In doing so, I learned a lot of techniques associated with higher level play. I still found the game to be a bit uneven, however, and points in the game are also clearly designed to part you from your quarters or tokens. Still, the art direction is very solid, and the games are a lot of fun if you do not take them too seriously. I very much look forward to playing through other games in the genre with my children in the future.

Arkanoid vs. Space Invaders is both a great game and a love letter to classic Taito games. In it, you control the Vaus (i.e., paddle) with your finger to reflect streams of projectiles back at the space invaders and their sinister allies, the blocks. Reflecting projectiles builds an attack meter, and when the meter is full, you can unleash an attack that bounces around the screen like the ball in any other Arkanoid or Breakout game. You have a set amount of time to destroy all of the invaders, break all of the blocks, or accomplish any other goal for the level set by the game, but the timer is suspended when you are in attack mode. Moreover, destroying invaders and breaking blocks yields power ups that provide you with extra time or boost your attack meter. Accordingly, you have to strategically work to build your attack meter, reflect projectiles, and collect falling items to succeed in the game. It is very exhilarating, the experience never wears thin throughout the games 150 levels. The game can be extremely challenging at times, but thankfully you can recruit characters from classic Taito games, such as Bubble Bobble, Darius, Densha de Go!, Front Line, Lufia, Psychic Force, etc., to assist you. Successfully utilizing the assist characters is critical to completing some of the more difficult levels, and it is great to see some of these old characters back (in somewhat limited) action. Finally, after completing each set of 15 levels, you unlock the ability to play them in hard mode. You would basically have to be the most hard-core touchscreen gamer on earth, however, to complete the game in this mode. (The tip of my finger was sore playing through the game on normal mode, and I played through just enough levels in the hard mode to realize that there was no way I was getting through to games most difficult challenges.) Arkanoid vs. Space Invaders isn't perfect - the bosses aren't varied enough, too many of the most difficult levels depend too much on luck, the difficulty curve is ridiculously uneven - but it is still one of the very best games I have played this year. I cannot recommend it highly enough, especially to the fans of classic gaming that visit this site.
Return to General Gaming