Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by Ack »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:SNES is the worst. Sloppy hit detection and an overpowered asshole of a final boss.

Yet still doable. If I can do it, you can do it.
marurun

Post by marurun »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:SNES is the worst. Sloppy hit detection and an overpowered asshole of a final boss.

But the SNES soundtrack is actually not too bad. I think they did a fine version adapting the music to the SNES. Better than the Genesis.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Juan Aguacate
24-bit

Post by Juan Aguacate »

Old:

Valiant Hearts the Great War - PS4
Scott Pilgrim - PS3
Comix Zone - PS3

New:

Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit - PS3

This feels like a long, lost Sega Genesis game made by both Sega and Shiny Entertainment, Inc. And it features a protagonist that feels like he fell out of a Disgaea game.

This reviews covers the game so well, including both pros and cons, that I don't need to add much:

http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/25/hell- ... rs-review/

I will say that this game is interesting in that it's one of those rare games that is designed around sadism. You will kill enemies in this game in the most brutal, gory, and downright EVIL ways. It reminds me of games like Wild 9 and the Deception series in that half the fun is just seeing how nasty your enemy's final moments will be.

If you're looking for something with a very early 90s Sega feeling, give this game a shot. There's actually DLC outfits for your character that reference a ton of Sega licenses too so lots of Sega fan service

EDIT: The one nitpick about the review I posted, it complains about lack of voices. There's actually a fair amount of voice samples throughout the game. We don't get every bit of dialogue fully voiced sure, but that's in keeping with the retro, Sega Genesis vibe.
Raz
16-bit

Post by Raz »

1. Dragon Quest Builders (PS4)
2. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future (DS)
3. Wild Guns: Reloaded (PS4)

This is a remake of Wild Guns, originally on the Super Nintendo. Its new features includes two additional characters to play as, 4 player co-op, two new stages, and graphical upgrades like more detailed sprites and special glow effects, among others. I never played the original Wild Guns on a SNES cartridge or through emulation like Virtual Console, so this my first time. It certainly lived up to all of the praise I have heard about Wild Guns, and I'll probably be replaying it over and over again for a week or two at the very least.
Juan Aguacate
24-bit

Post by Juan Aguacate »

I really wish that Wild Guns Reloaded could be the start of a trend. I would LOVE to see some SNES games get the re-release/remake treatment
Kuruwin
64-bit

Post by Kuruwin »

More SNES remakes would be nice but on a compilation disc. I don't know what the PSN price is but the disc version of Wild Guns costs almost 30 euros which outrageous.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

@Juan - Good to know about Hell Yeah! - WOTDR. I got that in some bundle and never gave it a second thought. Might have to change that.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

It's a deal compared to cart prices. But it is a game that I'm loath to throw that much money down on.
Ack

Post by Ack »

TSTR wrote:@Juan - Good to know about Hell Yeah! - WOTDR. I got that in some bundle and never gave it a second thought. Might have to change that.

As I recall, Gamerforlife was also a big fan of it back when he was still coming around. I also own it on Steam. I'll get to it someday...
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

1. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
2. Gyromite (NES)
3. Lucy -The Eternity She Wished For- (Steam)
4. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (Famicom)
5. Radical Dreamers (SNES)
What's the sequel to Chrono Trigger? Chrono Cross, right? Well, that game marks the end of a trilogy. There's another much more obscure title tossed into the middle position: Radical Dreamers. The game was released for the Super Famicom Satellaview; it was a downloadable digital Super Famicom game to put it simply. Much later (2003) an English fan translation appeared. Now, since this is a digital game there's no "official" physical release. I believe you can technically buy and run a Satellaview cart with the game stored inside. These show up on eBay occasionally and are quite expensive. For those looking for shelf candy and don't wanna spend the big bucks I recommend a reproduction cartridge.

So, an unknown Chrono Trigger sequel on the Super Nintendo? Don't get too excited. This isn't another masterfully-crafted JRPG. In fact, it's not an RPG at all. Radical Dreamers is a menu-based text adventure game, not dissimilar to the Phantasy Star II Text Adventures, which originally appeared on Sega's digital download service Meganet.
The tale of Radical Dreamers bridges the gap between Trigger and Cross. The protagonist here is Serge, some clumsy musician kid. He's joined by the sassy thief, Kid, who he has a mad crush on. Also along for the ride is Magil, a mysterious and stoic mage.

The majority of the game takes place within the Viper Manor, a sprawling estate said to hold a treasure of unspeakable power. Infiltrating the manor is a scheme devised by Kid, who wishes to possess said treasure and extract some sort of revenge on the aristocratic ruler of the estate.

Aesthetically, the game is absolutely brilliant. The manor is dark and gloomy. Every area is shrouded in darkness with only a sliver of moonlight or candlelight providing guidance. It's genuinely creepy without the schlock and jump scares. Navigation is claustrophobic with plenty of narrow passageways and winding staircases. And this manor is certainly worth exploring in full. Every room is distinct: there's a torture chamber, study, catacombs, atrium, outdoor terrace (my personal favorite), ballroom, and much more. Thankfully, the manor isn't a labyrinth - everything is laid out logically and thorough exploration is enough to uncover all secrets, though several areas will have to be revisited.
Adding to the atmosphere are sound effects lifted straight from Chrono Trigger. For instance, the catacombs feature the same type of water drips heard in Crono's jail cell. Yasunori Mitsuda is back on soundtrack duty, and while this score can't compete with that of Chrono Trigger (what can?) the songs here are nevertheless superb, most notably the bittersweet ending melody.

I can't comment on the original text, but what appears here in the fan translation is quite the entertaining read (and quite the competent translation job). There's a lot to read, but the text flows quickly and the plot remains compelling throughout. The interaction between our three heroes is most certainly the highlight. I especially enjoy Kid's sarcastic 'tude and Serge's desperate attempts at flirting. He's even worse than I am.
Progressing through the game requires the collection of various items - and unearthing of various secrets - throughout the manor. Mercifully, the game's quite straightforward about where objects may be located and what they do. There is naturally some trial and error involved, as well as the possibility of walking into an instant-death situation. Saving and loading can be done at most any time, and it's incredibly critical to save frequently.

There's also combat. Some encounters (the "boss fights") are guaranteed while others are random. Unlike the Phantasy Star II Text Adventures, a traditional RPG battle window does not present itself for combat. Instead, the game uses the type of text menus used throughout. Depending on the context of the battle you can choose to slice, throw, ram, run away, "hit the deck", and so on. Only Serge is issued commands in this fashion, though Kid and Magil also assist in slaying foes.

Let's move on to the UI: the weakest aspect of the game. To successfully complete Radical Dreamers one must keep Serge's HP above zero (duh), and also maintain a healthy relationship with Kid. Now, HP is apparently represented by a numerical value throughout but there's no way to view it. Instead, after every battle Serge verbally comments on his situation to indicate how much stamina he has remaining. It's quite innovative, though an accompanying HP number or meter would have been much appreciated. There's also no way to view the "reputation points" built with Kid (this is impacted by positive or negative character interactions) or inventory items. I surmise this was done to keep the game minimalistic and streamlined, and while I appreciate this design from an artistic standpoint it's also undeniably annoying at times.

Lastly, and this is a very specific complaint, selecting an option from the game menus is more difficult than it should be. That's because the text color is white while the highlighted menu choice is.... off-white(?). Or perhaps a really light gray. Whatever the case, it's needlessly tricky to decipher and I frequently found myself "losing" whatever option was presently highlighted.
I admit I enjoyed this way more than anticipated. Clunky interface issues aside, exploring this dreary dank mansion is a great way to spend a few hours. You'll notice some references to the original Chrono Trigger sprinkled throughout, so most definitely play that first. Another Super Famicom hidden gem? Not quite. But a damn intriguing game.