Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by Xeogred »

1. Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour (PC)
2. Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter* (PC)
3. Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter (PC)
4. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (PC)
5. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (PC)
6. Deadcore (PC)
7. Yakuza 4 (PS3)
8. Hyper Light Drifter (PC)
9. Doom 2: Valiant (PC)
10. Resident Evil 7 (PS4)
10. Doom 2: Ancient Aliens (PC)
11. Doom 2: Vanguard (PC)
12. Doom 2: Doom 2 The Way id Did (PC)
13. Doom 2: Community Chest Pack 4 (PC)
14. Doom: Doom The Way id Did (PC)
15. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 (PC)
16. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 (PC)
17. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (WiiU)
18. Dishonored 2 (PC)
19. Kirby's Dream Land (GB)
20. Kirby's Dream Land 2 (GB)
21. Super Mario Land (GB)
22. Super Mario Land 2 (GB)
23. Mighty Final Fight (NES)
24. Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES)
25. Trip World (GB)
26. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (Genesis)
27. Aladdin (Genesis)
28. Streets of Rage (SMS)
29. Bare Knuckle (Genesis)
30. Bare Knuckle 2* (Genesis)
31. Bare Knuckle 3* (Genesis)
32. Marchen Adventure Cotton 100% (SNES)
33. Earthworm Jim* (Sega CD)
34. Ghouls'n Ghosts (Genesis)
35. Contra (NES)
36. Super C (NES)
37. Final Fight 2* (SNES)
38. Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES)
39. Final Fight 3* (SNES)
40. Operation C (GB)
41. Contra Hard Corps [End B] (Genesis)
42. Mega Turrican (Genesis)
43. Prey (PC)
44. Dark Souls 3 DLC: Ashes of Ariandel & The Ringed City (PS4)
45. Spec Ops: The Line (PC)
46. System Shock Enhanced Edition (PC)
47. Tekken 7 (PS4)
48. Nier Automata [Platinum] (PS4)
49. Nier (B) (PS3)
50. Drakengard 3 (A-C) (PS3)
51. FEAR Extraction Point* (PC)
52. FEAR Perseus Mandate* (PC)
53. Transmissions: Element 120 (PC)
54. Ratchet & Clank (PS4)
55. Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4)
56. Sonic CD* (PC)
57. Alan Wake* (PC)
58. Deus Ex* (PC)
59. Momodora III (PC)
60. Mega Man 7* (PS4, MMLC2)
61. Mega Man 8* (PS4, MMLC2)
62. Mega Man 9* (PS4, MMLC2)
63. Mega Man 10* (PS4, MMLC2)
64. Rockman & Forte* (SNES)
65. Mega Man Legends (PSX)
66. Sonic Mania (PC)
67. Mega Man Legends 2 (PSX)
68. Dishonored: Death of the Outsider (PC)
69. Yakuza 0 (PS4)
70. Metroid Samus Returns (3DS)

All aboard the SR-388 train!

Normal | 100% | 10:29

Samus Returns ruled. I'm happy Metroid is back and this one did really well critically, even hitting the top of sales charts in Japan which is impressive, since Metroid has generally been a bigger deal in the West. I hope this makes Nintendo put more faith back in Metroid. I don't need another decade plus in between their releases! I finally played Other M last year to verify what the fuss was about and overall thought it was fine, nothing amazing and it lands in a 7/10 range or so for me. Issues for Other M I'll spare you aside, it feels like Samus Returns is an extension of some of the things that worked best there gameplay wise and refines everything.

However there are things about this kind of Metroid that I don't prefer, it's far more combat focused and enemies are bullet sponges, even armored, even late game beams still might not take some of them out. The respawn rate it quite high too, the rooms are big and sprawling with little doors in between, yet the enemies will still respawn if you go far enough in a single room without leaving it. Granted, the high encounter rate is probably necessary because of how much ammo you're unloading into enemies or the Metroid's themselves, not to mention you also take high damage from everything so you are constantly in need of ammo/health. It's far more action and twitchy than the original games, but I guess that's the direction it's been heading in. I hope Prime 4 slows things down again.

The art direction is a big mixed bag as well. I'm going to be that guy, but I don't think I can come up with a single game in the 2.5D style that I really like a lot visually... maybe Tropical Freeze. The graphics here are impressive and it certainly is Metroid, but it could be nicer. There are a lot of different areas in Metroid 2's world, but a lot of it blends in and doesn't have unique personality in between areas at times. Heck, the lava areas were pretty much all the same spread throughout the whole world. The music is awesome, but there's only a few standouts. It's top notch, but not the best Metroid aesthetics for me. That said, I think I like Samus Returns' looks more than Zero Mission and Fusion, which were getting a bit too cartoony for me. Samus Returns at least looks kind of dark and gritty again.

For some huge positives, Samus Returns has as much little story as the original Metroid and Super... ie, you get the introduction and that is literally it. Thank goodness. There is absolutely no hand holding or finger pointing in this game from start to finish and that goes a long way for me. You don't even get map downloads now, but rather a cool ability that lets Samus scan the perimeter around her location which I thought was neat. Metroid 2 is also a lot more linear in design overall, but I actually like that about it quite a bit. It's a different flavor and that's not bad, because the game is still huge and you've got a lot of branching paths. It really feels like you explore every available inch of hollow SR-388's innards. The only odd thing about the flow though, is that backtracking at any point before the end game is honestly pretty pointless. Most of the E-tanks you'll stumble upon at point blank, an unfortunate issue with most of them after Prime 2, and yeah I got through everything just fine without the extra pickups when I did a full cleanup to get 100%. It's fun to give the whole map a second quick run though and pretty easy to navigate once you have all the abilities and there's frequent teleports. Also, I love the Metroid battles and even the Queen, some of them were tough but it's a cool element that sets 2 apart from the rest of the series.

Some nitpicks aside, I think it beats out some of the others for me and I'd still rank it higher. But I'll be the first to say I like AM2R more. Thankfully they're completely different flavors and experiences, but if we're ranking them I think my Metroid ranking is something like this:

Super Metroid
Metroid
Metroid Prime
AM2R
Samus Returns
Zero Mission
Fusion
Other M

Notes: There is a monumental drop after Super and Metroid, Prime is very high though and still a 10/10. I'm not sure where I would put Prime 2-3, but I still loved them unlike most. I think Prime 1 just had the best OST and everything else. After those, it's all kind of 9/10 material or so and my rankings probably clash a little with where I might put some Iga Castlevania, even though there's things about 2D Metroid I still like more. But they kind of equal out. Fusion and Other M are more like 7/10's though, very flawed and I've run through Fusion a few times by now but I still don't like it as much as some. I still have never beaten Return of Samus actually, might set that for a goal next year, two remakes might make it easier to digest along with knowing it can be played with color too. Unfinished business!
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

1. Phantasy Star II (GEN)
2. Guitar Hero (PS2)
3. Adventures of Lolo (NES)
4. Animal Crossing (GCN)
5. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
6. Beyond The Beyond (PS1)
7. R.B.I. Baseball (NES)
8. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (PS1)
9. GoldenEye: Rogue Agent (GCN)
10. Project Gotham Racing (XBOX)
11. Ristar (GEN)
12. Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64)
13. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
14. Pikmin (GCN)
15. Syberia (XBOX)
16. Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht (PS2)
17. Tetris Plus (PS1)
18. Metropolis Street Racer (DC)
19. Darkwing Duck (NES)
20. Marvel Vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes (PS2)
21. Ico (PS2)
22. Final Fantasy V (SNES)
23. Mega Man X (SNES)
24. Beyond Good & Evil (XBOX)
25. Beetle Adventure Racing! (N64)
26. Sonic Adventure (DC)
27. Giga Wing (DC)
28. Metal Arms: Glitch in the System (XBOX)
29. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GCN)

30. Landstalker: Treasure of King Nole (GEN)

I completed Landstalker: Treasure of King Nole on the Sega Genesis this evening!

Even though I grew up with the Sega Genesis, I was not a big gamer back then nor was I into the RPG genre at all. So, when I started getting interested in my old consoles and playing games that I had never played for, I was excited to play all these RPG's on my Genesis. Even though the SNES was known for having the better ones, I knew the Genesis had some good ones. After getting the big ones like Phantasy Star and Shining Force, I got some hidden gems. One such game was Landstalker as I had never heard of it. After hearing so much about the game, I was really excited to give this game a try.

Oh, Boy! Landstalker is one of the sadistic, evil and meanest games I have ever played. At every turn, the game punishes the player in every conceivable way. From the beginning to the very end, you will have incredibly hard jumps that if you fail, you either start from the beginning or fall into a pit of monsters. With the game being isometric and no shadow underneath you, no jump is every easy. Most of my jumps were done on a wing and a prayer. The combat is favored heavily towards the monsters. They are faster and more range in their attacks. And since you swing your sword like Link does in Link to the Past, you never hit first and walls actually stop your sword. The game world is actually quite small, but the game is extended because of some unnecessary backtracking especially later on in the game. In the end, your adventure feels small especially after a disappointing ending that just keeps the status quo. You feel like your adventure meant nothing and you are completely hollow afterwards. Respawning monsters, clues that make no sense, no direction on what to do next and dungeons that go on forever, this was a game of frustration and pain.

With that in mind, I did enjoy the music of the game as some of it was really catchy. And I believe there are some interesting elements and puzzles to the game, even though they were obtuse and very frustrating. The game is an interesting idea, but that is about it. They wanted to make a Zelda clone, but the sense of exploration was replaced with frustration and anger. It has some good ideas and I think more patient people would enjoy it, but my patience wore out on the game near the end as I had to watch a Longplay just to beat it. If you love Zelda clones, its worth a try. Otherwise, I was completely disappointed in the game.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Xeogred wrote:enemies are bullet sponges

This was probably my biggest issue with an otherwise great game. I understand this was done to encourage use of the melee move. But who wants to have to melee enemies constantly? Not me.

I think your ranking of Metroids was decent. I'll throw in my own review scores.
Metroid (9/10)*
Metroid II: Return of Samus (7/10)*
Super Metroid (9.5/10)*
Metroid Fusion (8/10)*
Metroid Prime (8.5/10)*
Metroid: Zero Mission (9/10)*
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (7/10) (got about 75% through it)
Metroid Prime Hunters (5/10) (got about 50% through it)
Metroid: Other M (7/10)*
Metroid: Samus Returns (8/10)*

* = I beat it.

I have not played yet:

AM2R
Metroid Prime Pinball
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Metroid Prime: Federation Farce

Markies wrote:I completed Landstalker: Treasure of King Nole on the Sega Genesis this evening!

You have earned my respect sir.

If your masochism streak still itches...

PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Exhuminator wrote:
Markies wrote:I completed Landstalker: Treasure of King Nole on the Sega Genesis this evening!

You have earned my respect sir.

If your masochism streak still itches...

Why thank you!

I never once gave up, so I don't consider the game completely awful. I do believe there is some good there and I can understand how some people really enjoy it. I'm just not one of them.

Ironically, Time Stalkers is the reason I played Landstalker. That and the Alundra games have some ties to Landstalker, so I wanted to play it first before playing the other ones. Now, I don't know. I think I'm more excited for Time Stalkers then I am for Alundra.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I'd probably rank the Metroids as:

Super
Prime
AM2R
Zero Mission
Prime 3
Fusion
Samus Returns
Prime 2
Other M
Metroid
Metroid 2

I don't think it's fair to lump Prime Pinball in with the rest of these. It's a decent pinball game, but comparing it to a long list of exploration platformers is like figuring out where Eradicator fits in between all the King's Quest games.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Hey markies! Sorry Landstalker didn't click with you on the Genesis. It is one of my all time favorite games on the system. For whatever reason, the isometric view never was an issue for me. I always had an understanding of where the platforms were and combat was never an issue. I can see where people can experience frustration in those departments so it is understandable.

I don't get the Zelda clone comment though. It in no way tries to imitate Zelda. The game has a large focus on linear story and platform elements. I am curious to know what elements of the game you felt made it a Zelda clone?

I know Exhuminator made a snarky comment on other Climax titles, but Dark Savior is one I would recommend. It still had the isometric view but platforming is much easier and adds those much needed shadows. Add to it a combat system that is genuinely fun and entertaining and it features a story system where, based on how fast you complete the opening segment, completely changes how the story progresses 100% Unlike other games where it would be a similar story with tiny changes. It is a lot of fun!

You are right on one thing though with Landstalker, the music is killer. Climax knows how to do music. Their work on shining force and shining in the darkness are proof as well that their music is top notch on the system.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

MrPopo wrote:I don't think it's fair to lump Prime Pinball in with the rest of these. It's a decent pinball game, but comparing it to a long list of exploration platformers is like figuring out where Eradicator fits in between all the King's Quest games.

Prime pinball is actually quite fun! I've neaaaarly beaten it, but you gotta get SO damn lucky to beat that last boss I never quite did :? . I still really enjoyed what I played of it though. If you want a pinball-adventure game, this is one of 'em :lol:
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

MrPopo wrote:I'd probably rank the Metroids as:

Super
Prime
AM2R
Zero Mission
Prime 3
Fusion
Samus Returns
Prime 2
Other M
Metroid
Metroid 2

I don't think it's fair to lump Prime Pinball in with the rest of these. It's a decent pinball game, but comparing it to a long list of exploration platformers is like figuring out where Eradicator fits in between all the King's Quest games.

I've not played them all, but of the ones I have played, I'd rank them:

Super
Prime
Other M
Prime 3
Samus Returns
Fusion
Prime 2
Metroid

Fuck Federation Force
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Aren't the Alundra games somewhat linked to the "Stalker" games? I could be talking out of my ass.