Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Sarge wrote:I always tried to find a copy of Lolo 3, and had no luck ever seeing it in the wild. Of course, this would explain why it goes for around $50 cart-only on eBay.

Which, actually, looks downright cheap compared to some of the NES library.

Yeah...given its rarity and playability, it really isn't a bad deal.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

If you think that one's expensive, check out the PAL-only Game Boy game (which is considered by many to be the best in the series).

It's theoretically a localised version of the Japanese GB Lolo game, only it had about 3x as much content, so it's not really the same at all.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Every time I see someone mention Lolo I get its song stuck in my head for the rest of the day.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

MrPopo wrote:Every time I see someone mention Lolo I get its song stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

Lolo... la la la la Lolo.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

alienjesus wrote:If you think that one's expensive, check out the PAL-only Game Boy game (which is considered by many to be the best in the series).

It's theoretically a localised version of the Japanese GB Lolo game, only it had about 3x as much content, so it's not really the same at all.

Oh really? Learned something new today. :)
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Sarge wrote:
alienjesus wrote:If you think that one's expensive, check out the PAL-only Game Boy game (which is considered by many to be the best in the series).

Oh really? Learned something new today. :)

From HG101:
Lolo no Daibouken later saw a massively enhanced European release called Adventures of Lolo. While the Japanese game has fifty puzzles in all, the European version has a whopping one hundred forty-four puzzles. Not only that, but it also has Super Game Boy support, which the Japanese version lacks. It even has a tutorial, in case you're just getting into the franchise. Furthermore, the intros, title screens, and the screens shown before and after each puzzle are mostly different between the two regions, although some have merely been switched around. The European release has the same basic story, but the manual complicates it with all kinds of utter nonsense. Lastly, there's an odd feature where the music differs depending on which direction Lolo is facing, though only in Intermediate Level.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I never knew a third game existed!

It's fascinating to think I was playing Lolo back when I was 3-4 years old. Love those first two.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Xeogred wrote:I never knew a third game existed!

Go for it! Closed eBay auctions show that it sells in the $30 to $40 range, which is about how much I paid for my copy years ago. (Definitely don't go for that PAL GameBoy release though. The Japanese GB release sells for $100+, and I couldn't even find a PAL listing...)
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Markies wrote:I figured the best way to celebrate my 35th Birthday was to beat a game, so I pushed through a quick game that I was near the end of.

First...Happy Birthday! It is good having you on the forum, and I appreciate your posts.

Sarge wrote:I always tried to find a copy of Lolo 3, and had no luck ever seeing it in the wild. Of course, this would explain why it goes for around $50 cart-only on eBay.

Which, actually, looks downright cheap compared to some of the NES library.

Thank you kindly! I may not post as much as others, but I love reading the discussions in this forum. Plus, I love that everybody here plays games along with talking about them!

My friend is the big Lolo guy and Lolo 3 was his White Whale for the longest time. A year or so ago, I found him a copy of Lolo 3 and he was so happy to have it. I think it was about $30, so it is not too expensive.

Lolo is fairly common. Lolo 2 is a bit uncommon. Lolo 3 is a bit rare. I am very interested in picking up 2 and 3.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Xeogred wrote:I never knew a third game existed!

Go for it! Closed eBay auctions show that it sells in the $30 to $40 range, which is about how much I paid for my copy years ago. (Definitely don't go for that PAL GameBoy release though. The Japanese GB release sells for $100+, and I couldn't even find a PAL listing...)

So, after some research, it seems the PAL copy isn't that expensive after all! Goes for about £20 on average.

It is pretty rare though! There was one on eBay UK when I searched just now, and it was in the Netherlands.