Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by Exhuminator »

Ack wrote:Having beaten both the NES and Game Boy versions, yeah, the Game Boy one is considerably more forgiving. I hope you enjoy it. I did when I played it..oh back in 2005 or so.

ACK plays platformers?! :shock:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Exhuminator wrote:
Ack wrote:Having beaten both the NES and Game Boy versions, yeah, the Game Boy one is considerably more forgiving. I hope you enjoy it. I did when I played it..oh back in 2005 or so.

ACK plays platformers?! :shock:

It's more likely than you might think.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Every now and again, yeah, I'll play a platformer. Just because I don't like a genre doesn't mean I won't go back and give it a chance from time to time.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I also plan to play the 3DS version this year so that I can finish up the trilogy. I don't foresee Nintendo making another one for a while, and I would like to have the series under my belt.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

If anyone is up for some matches of the multiplayer when they do play it, let me know. I remember it being a lot of fun back when.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Once you're past the first world, Kid Icarus actually becomes really, really easy. I didn't have much trouble with the 3D version, and that one even adds some nice features to alleviate some issues in the original release.

I definitely understand the criticisms of the game, though. I think it's more 7/10 territory, and it's not a patch on Metroid, another game that I feel is pretty rough around the edges. It makes up for it in sheer scale and ambition. Interestingly, Metroid came out first, so... hmm. Still R&D1, but I guess that's what happens when you have TOSE in place of Intelligent Systems. ;)
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Sarge wrote:Once you're past the first world, Kid Icarus actually becomes really, really easy.

It definitely gets easier once your life bar starts to increase and you get bow power-ups. But those dungeon-maze levels stayed consistently irritating all the way to the end. The last stage however was the easiest in the whole game, culminating in a joke of a boss battle. Weird. The balancing is... strange. The first stage is probably the hardest in the whole shebang. :lol:
Sarge wrote:and that one even adds some nice features to alleviate some issues in the original release

Hmm, really? What's different? I thought only the aesthetics were improved.
Sarge wrote:I guess that's what happens when you have TOSE in place of Intelligent Systems.

I strongly suspect TOSE is what went wrong with Kid Icarus. Although, the Game Boy sequel was also co-developed by TOSE. So if it doesn't stink, I'm going to have to assume Toru Osawa < Masafumi Sakashita.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I really gave the game a shot. Hell, I even purchased the FDS original along with the NES game. Both failed to move me. I'd still like to finish it someday, someway. I have an affinity for old Nintendo.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Well, I know the jumping physics changed. You've got a float jump you can use if you hold the button, which is useful with some of the tricky platforming. There were a few other changes that I can't remember right now, though.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

1. Phantasy Star II (GEN)
2. Guitar Hero (PS2)
3. Adventures of Lolo (NES)
4. Animal Crossing (GCN)
5. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
6. Beyond The Beyond (PS1)
7. R.B.I. Baseball (NES)
8. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (PS1)
9. GoldenEye: Rogue Agent (GCN)
10. Project Gotham Racing (XBOX)
11. Ristar (GEN)
12. Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64)

13. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)

I beat Crash Bandicoot on the Playstation 1 this afternoon!

Crash Bandicoot very much feels like an old school game, even though it was touted on a new platform with a new style of 3D graphics.

The game very much feels like an old school platformer. It has very similar level design as you only have levels on a 2D plane or ones walking into the screen or away from the screen. It very much has that trick of pattern memorization. The game kind of feels like Simon Says in that regard. Once you get it down, you feel like a king, but until then, it is annoying and frustrating.

The levels feel very constricting in that manner as you almost have to do what the developers want you to do. It takes a long while sometimes, but it is a great feeling when you finally do.

The biggest gripe in the game is the HORRID save system. It's a bonus stage at the end of some levels. So, if you game over, you go back to that level and have to repeat the entire process and this includes boss fights. Doing three levels in a row just because you loss your last life on the final jump is super frustrating. How easy could it have been to save after every level?

The game does have bright graphics and rather catchy music. I feel like the perspective can get annoying which is bothersome considering the precise jumping. Maybe that has to do with the controls being a bit slippy as well.

Overall, Crash Bandicoot is not exactly a bad game, but I wouldn't consider it a good one either. It is mediocre at best. If you love old school platforming games, then it is worth a shot as it is right up your alley. For everybody else, you could do worse, but you could also do a whole lot better.