Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by BoneSnapDeez Tue May 02, 2017 1:00 pm

Chrono Trigger blows. Dream Team? More like Nightmare Team, amiriteladies?

The greatest JRPGs of all time were released exclusively in Japan on the PC Engine. I would mention some names but you probably haven't heard of them.
Ack

by Ack Tue May 02, 2017 1:02 pm

Hipster Bone is hipster.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue May 02, 2017 1:14 pm

In all seriousness, I've played a LOT of retro JRPGs - localized ones, ones with fan translations, and ones with the Japanese intact - and generally feel that the best the genre has to offer did indeed reach North America. Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, EarthBound, Ys Book I & II, Secret of Mana, Skies of Arcadia, and so on. There are some phenomenal games in the fan translation realm as well (Ys IV, Seiken Densetsu 3, and Mother 3, to name a few) but finding truly great super-secret Japanese-only hidden gems is tough. The PC Engine is probably the best place to hunt for such things, with the likes of The Legend of Xanadu, AnEarth, Xak, and so on, but those still can't compete with the best of the best that reached the SNES in North America.
marurun

by marurun Tue May 02, 2017 1:21 pm

I am hopeful that once translation work is complete, I'll discover Xanadu and Anearth are indeed top-tier. I feel unable to judge and RPG's full quality without also knowing fully what's going on, and my Japanese just isn't good enough for that.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Tue May 02, 2017 1:26 pm

Bone speaks truth. We really did get most of the best stuff, even if it didn't feel like that was the case.

Except Dragon Quest VI. Missing that was brutal.

(In all honesty, the biggest misses were SquareSoft/Enix stuff. Treasure of the Rudras was also fantastic, Europe got Terranigma, SD3 has been mentioned... yeah, we missed on some good stuff, but we really did get some of the best of the system's stuff.)
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue May 02, 2017 1:27 pm

I don't think we got most of the best stuff. There are a fair amount of very high quality SFC JRPGs which were skipped due to releasing too late in the SNES domestic lifespan.* The localization time process would have put publishers in a position of releasing SNES RPGs during the introductory year of the N64. So I understand why they didn't do it.

*I'm talking about 1995/1996 releases like Tales of Phantasia, Front Mission: Gun Hazard, Brandish 2: The Planet Buster, Chaos Seed: Feng Shui Chronicles, Emerald Dragon, Energy Breaker, Star Ocean, Treasure of the Rudras, etc. FM:GH and Brandish 2 are both 9/10 games for me easily.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Tue May 02, 2017 2:03 pm

I'm kinda thinking in aggregate with other systems in the mix as well. SNES is definitely where we missed the most, but we definitely got a lot of good titles. "Most" might be a bad descriptor there, but we still got a lot of good stuff.

Of those you mentioned, though...

Tales of Phantasia - Good, but a bit overrated.
Front Mission: Gun Hazard - Freaking fantastic, but perhaps not an RPG.
Brandish 2: The Planet Buster - It might be good, but I guarantee it would have sold like crap. :(
Chaos Seed: Feng Shui Chronicles - I'm pretty "eh" on this one, probably a little too complex.
Emerald Dragon - It seemed okay, but definitely not a classic.
Energy Breaker - I liked what I played, but it is kind of a basic SRPG. Looks and sounds phenomenal, though.
Star Ocean - I'm pretty indifferent on this one. The battle system just doesn't work for me. I'd much rather play Tales.
Treasure of the Rudras - Very, very good. And I mentioned it!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue May 02, 2017 2:13 pm

Sarge wrote:Brandish 2: The Planet Buster - It might be good

It's awesome.

Brandish 1 & 2 kinda ruined Zelda for me. :|
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Tue May 02, 2017 2:15 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
Sarge wrote:Brandish 2: The Planet Buster - It might be good

It's awesome.

Brandish 1 & 2 kinda ruined Zelda for me. :|

I enjoyed the heck out of Dark Revenant, but I don't think I'd go that far. For me, anyway! :lol:
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue May 02, 2017 2:21 pm

To be clear I meant versus overhead style Zelda. Brandish 1* & 2** are the best overhead dungeon crawlers ever made. They both blew me away.

They are also kick your crotch inside out hard, so I wouldn't just gingerly recommend them in general to everybody. But if you've got a taste for it, all you can eat baby.

*I'm talking about the PSP remake of 1.
**I'm talking about the SFC version of 2.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to General Gaming