Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Ack Tue May 02, 2017 7:35 am

Yeah, but pierrot, you don't like anything.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue May 02, 2017 10:46 am

That's not true; he's a die hard Tecmo Secret of the Stars fanatic.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue May 02, 2017 11:09 am

Pierrot seems to be fondest of JRPGs that never received English translations.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

by marurun Tue May 02, 2017 11:32 am

Exhuminator wrote:Pierrot seems to be fondest of JRPGs that never received English translations.

It means he doesn't have to experience a poor translation not of his own making. His enjoyment of the author's intent is limited only by his ability to comprehend the author's words.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue May 02, 2017 11:35 am

marurun wrote:It means he doesn't have to experience a poor translation not of his own making. His enjoyment of the author's intent is limited only by his ability to comprehend the author's words.

If that's the case, I don't understand why he can't enjoy the original Japanese versions of ChronoTrigger, Final Fantasy VI, and EarthBound.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

by marurun Tue May 02, 2017 11:57 am

Exhuminator wrote:
marurun wrote:It means he doesn't have to experience a poor translation not of his own making. His enjoyment of the author's intent is limited only by his ability to comprehend the author's words.

If that's the case, I don't understand why he can't enjoy the original Japanese versions of ChronoTrigger, Final Fantasy VI, and EarthBound.

I don't know that he didn't, but assuming his first experience was with the original English translations, the first time you play a game typically leaves the most stark impression. If the translation was part of why he didn't like them (again, making assumptions), that kind of thing can be really hard to overcome. But, maybe he just doesn't enjoy them for other equally valid reasons.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Flake

by Flake Tue May 02, 2017 12:09 pm

I can kinda get the animus towards Secret of Mana. I always wonder how much of the story got cut because Square Soft couldn't be bothered to even re-write the text format size to accommodate English letters.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue May 02, 2017 12:34 pm

marurun wrote:I don't know that he didn't, but assuming his first experience was with the original English translations, the first time you play a game typically leaves the most stark impression. If the translation was part of why he didn't like them (again, making assumptions), that kind of thing can be really hard to overcome.

If he first played the games in English, how would he instantly know they were badly translated versus the Japanese? The Japanese text isn't sitting there right next to the English text for contrast. :P

-

In all seriousness though, I don't blame anybody for not liking anything. I mean, I think Terranigma is disgustingly overrated... and that's certainly not a popular opinion.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue May 02, 2017 12:38 pm

Flake wrote:I can kinda get the animus towards Secret of Mana. I always wonder how much of the story got cut because Square Soft couldn't be bothered to even re-write the text format size to accommodate English letters.

I seem to recall reading once that there actually isn't that much lost from the localization; the biggest issue is the overall losses from going from CD development to cartridge development.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
marurun

by marurun Tue May 02, 2017 12:53 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
marurun wrote:I don't know that he didn't, but assuming his first experience was with the original English translations, the first time you play a game typically leaves the most stark impression. If the translation was part of why he didn't like them (again, making assumptions), that kind of thing can be really hard to overcome.

If he first played the games in English, how would he instantly know they were badly translated versus the Japanese? The Japanese text isn't sitting there right next to the English text for contrast. :P

I think a bad translation can exist even if you know nothing about the original. If the language feels weird or flows awkwardly in places that can mess stuff up. FFIV has a weird translation and it feels like it, but somehow the game remains awesome despite that.

Exhuminator wrote:In all seriousness though, I don't blame anybody for not liking anything. I mean, I think Terranigma is disgustingly overrated... and that's certainly not a popular opinion.

I played some of this emulated years ago and didn't get what all the fuss was about. I didn't dislike the way I do Illusion of Gaia, though.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Return to General Gaming