Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
strangenova
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by strangenova Mon May 01, 2017 4:08 pm

Xeogred wrote:The Legacy Collection is perfect. I won't be touching the Anniversary Collection again.

I've got the 3ds Legacy Collection and the PS2 Anniversary Collection. Other than the extras on the Legacy version I don't really see a problem with the anniversary version. What don't you care for in it?
Flake

by Flake Mon May 01, 2017 4:46 pm

Xeogred wrote:The Legacy Collection is perfect. I won't be touching the Anniversary Collection again.

Until the rumored Legacy Collection 2 comes out, the Anniversary Collection is still vital if only for having access to Power Fighters and Power Battle.

My hope is that if Legacy Collection 2 is real, it includes similar 'version' options. The biggest sticking point for me with the Anniversary Collection is that the version of Megaman 8 they chose is the inferior PSX version.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon May 01, 2017 4:56 pm

strangenova wrote:

I've got the 3ds Legacy Collection and the PS2 Anniversary Collection. Other than the extras on the Legacy version I don't really see a problem with the anniversary version. What don't you care for in it?

Anniversary Collection is just like emulated roms and stuff or something. The Legacy Collection was built from the ground up very meticulously so that they feel authentically like the original NES games played on the original hardware. As someone who grew up playing these games to death, I definitely noticed the difference.

It's ultimately not a huge deal at all. But as a huge fan of them I can say I like the Legacy Collection more now.
strangenova
Next-Gen

by strangenova Mon May 01, 2017 5:56 pm

Xeogred wrote:
strangenova wrote:

Anniversary Collection is just like emulated roms and stuff or something. The Legacy Collection was built from the ground up very meticulously so that they feel authentically like the original NES games played on the original hardware. As someone who grew up playing these games to death, I definitely noticed the difference.

It's ultimately not a huge deal at all. But as a huge fan of them I can say I like the Legacy Collection more now.
Fair enough. I used to play some of the originals on the nes well before the ps2 collection was released. I never noticed a difference though, unless I altered the music or difficulty. That said I still prefer the ps2 collection because Im greedy and it's got more games on it. I do prefer the extras included in the Legacy Collection though.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon May 01, 2017 8:25 pm

January:
1) The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (PC) (8.5) (1/1) (~5.5 hours)
2) ActRaiser (SNES) (8.0) (1/2) (~4 hours)
3) Bonk's Revenge (GB) (6.0) (1/3) (~1 hour)
4) Tiny Toon Adventures: Babs' Big Break (GB) (6.5) (1/3) (~1 hour)
5) Blackwell Legacy (PC) (7.0) (1/5) (2.6 hours)
6) Blackwell Unbound (PC) (7.5) (1/7) (2.2 hours)
7) Blackwell Convergence (PC) (8.0) (1/7) (2.4 hours)
8) Blackwell Deception (PC) (8.0) (1/8) (4.7 hours)
9) Blackwell Epiphany (PC) (9.0) (1/9) (6.5 hours)
10) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4) (8.0) (1/22) (~55 hours)
11) Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (360) (8.0) (1/28) (~.5 hours)
12) Deep Duck Trouble Starring Donald Duck (SMS) (6.5) (1/31) (~1 hour)

February:
13) Quackshot Starring Donald Duck (GEN) (7.5) (2/7) (~2 hours)
14) Fire Emblem Heroes (Android) (8.0) (2/9) (~10 hours)
15) Super C (NES) (9.5) (2/20) (~0.5 hours)
16) Contra (NES) (10.0) (2/20) (~0.5 hours)
17) Mickey's Dangerous Chase (GB) (6.5) (2/24) (~1 hour)
18) My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (3DS) (8.5) (2/25) (~19 hours)
19) Mega Man 2 (NES) (10.0) (2/28) (~0.8 hours)

March:
20) Final Fantasy XV (PS4) (8.0) (3/2) (~33 hours)
21) Blaster Master Zero (NS) (9.0) (3/10) (~6.5 hours)
22) Espgaluda II Black Label (360) (8.0?) (3/17) (0.5 hours)
23) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS) (9.5) (3/28) (~70+ hours)

April:
24) Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (PC) (8.5) (4/7) (~5.5 hours)
25) Hyper Light Drifter (PS4) (8.0) (4/9) (~8 hours)
26) Gekido Advance: Kintaro's Revenge (GBA) (7.5) (4/16) (~3 hours)
27) Vanquish (PS3) (8.5) (4/17) (~7 hours)
28) Journey (PS3) (6.0) (4/19) (~2 hours)
29) GunForce (SNES) (4.0) (4/22) (~20 minutes)
30) GunForce 2 (ARC) (7.0) (4/23) (~30 minutes)
31) GunForce: Battle Fire Engulfed Terror Island (ARC) (6.0) (4/23) (~20 minutes)
32) Mighty Final Fight (NES) (8.5) (4/29) (~30 minutes)

May:
33) Final Fantasy V (SFC) (6.0) (5/1) (~33 hours)

Some of y'all ain't gonna like this. I'm not a big fan of FFV. I'm still not a big fan of FFV. I get why folks are fans, it's just that I'm not.

Anyway, I dredged up my ancient, 27 hours-old save game, probably played in ZSNES, and made the final push using the SD2SNES. And promptly regretted it, because it wasn't a relaxing way to spend the day I took off. I think I got more angry at a game than I have in a while. It doesn't help that I was underleveled, but that boss that I figured was going to give me fits indeed gave me fits. I think I went at him about 15 times before dropping him. Cruised to the last battle... and got annihilated. That probably took 6-7 runs, and lots of tweaking my meager setup. I basically leaned on lots of folks having White Mage abilities, a Summoner, and a couple of Samurai with Gil Toss. And even then, I had to fight hard to keep my crew upright. Shell was a must, but towards the end, I just had to go for the gusto. Juuuuust managed to drop him, and it's done.

So this should be a longer gap than my revisit of Seiken Densetsu 3. Glad to have it done, but I don't anticipate revisiting it again any time soon. It's certainly not bad, but I'll take FFIV or FFVI any day.
Flake

by Flake Mon May 01, 2017 8:48 pm

Xeogred wrote:Anniversary Collection is just like emulated roms and stuff or something. The Legacy Collection was built from the ground up very meticulously so that they feel authentically like the original NES games played on the original hardware.

Actually, that's been one of my bigger issues playing through Megaman 2 and 3. The adherence to the NES is almost too much. I feel like lag due to sprite count is exaggerated and the graphical glitches are more than I remember. Megaman 4 seems solid so far but I have had a hard time telling what is faithful and what is sloppy.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon May 01, 2017 8:58 pm

1. Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour (PC)
2. Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter* (PC)
3. Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter (PC)
4. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (PC)
5. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (PC)
6. Deadcore (PC)
7. Yakuza 4 (PS3)
8. Hyper Light Drifter (PC)
9. Doom 2: Valiant (PC)
10. Resident Evil 7 (PS4)
10. Doom 2: Ancient Aliens (PC)
11. Doom 2: Vanguard (PC)
12. Doom 2: Doom 2 The Way id Did (PC)
13. Doom 2: Community Chest Pack 4 (PC)
14. Doom: Doom The Way id Did (PC)
15. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 (PC)
16. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 (PC)
17. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (WiiU)
18. Dishonored 2 (PC)
19. Kirby's Dream Land (GB)
20. Kirby's Dream Land 2 (GB)
21. Super Mario Land (GB)
22. Super Mario Land 2 (GB)
23. Mighty Final Fight (NES)
24. Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES)
25. Trip World (GB)
26. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - The Hyperstone Heist (Genesis)
27. Aladdin (Genesis)

* replay

Think that wraps up today.

Trip World was quite the feat... really pushing the Gameboy teraflops to the limit. It's a downright gorgeous game and the music is incredible because it's Sunsoft. HLTB and youtube clips showed it only being about 15 minutes long, but I wasn't really prepared for it actually being quite challenging. So I spent more like 45 minutes or something on it with a few game overs. It was kind of finicky at times with the power ups and all. But overall a pretty cool platformer.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist - Thanks to Key-Glyph and others here on RB I discovered this game exists. I seriously had no clue this was a thing and there was somewhat of an alternate Turtles in Time out there, since Turtles in Time was all the rage. This was a fun and quick easy beat em' up that makes me want to revisit some of the other TMNT games. Excellent music and graphics. Not as good as Turtles in Time as it's shorter but this was a really cool discovery and would be a blast with a friend.

Aladdin (Genesis) - Yet another "completely different game" I didn't know existed! Grew up on the SNES one and loved it, despite some wonky levels here and there. Seems everyone fusses over the animations in this and I can see why. "The Escape" was awful though, sunk tons of lives in that lame level. Pixel perfect jumping and instant death traps wazolla. It's amusing that the Disney developed game here has swords, when Capcom's SNES version seems to be a bit more kid friendly. Overall this was a cool quick run as well and it truly is an entirely different game, even moreso than Hyperstone Heist vs Turtles in Time. This one is a bit more action oriented in some levels whereas the Capcom SNES game is a bit more platformer. So check this out if you haven't.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon May 01, 2017 8:59 pm

Final Fantasy V is great for people who love stats and exploiting video games. Try to play it straight and it's tedious and annoying.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon May 01, 2017 9:03 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Final Fantasy V is great for people who love stats and exploiting video games. Try to play it straight and it's tedious and annoying.

This is a completely fair summary. But if you love stats and figuring out how to snap a game over your knee it's AMAZING.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon May 01, 2017 9:06 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Final Fantasy V is great for people who love stats and exploiting video games. Try to play it straight and it's tedious and annoying.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I said it wasn't for me. I suspect if I'd gotten into it like I did Bravely Default, and actually took the time to exploit the systems, I might have appreciated it more. Of course, BD makes some excellent concessions to the player to speed things along, so you can get to the fun of pulling a Bane and breaking the game's back over your knee.
Return to General Gaming