Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Sarge Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:38 pm

January:
1) The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (PC) (8.5) (1/1) (~5.5 hours)
2) ActRaiser (SNES) (8.0) (1/2) (~4 hours)
3) Bonk's Revenge (GB) (6.0) (1/3) (~1 hour)
4) Tiny Toon Adventures: Babs' Big Break (GB) (6.5) (1/3) (~1 hour)
5) Blackwell Legacy (PC) (7.0) (1/5) (2.6 hours)
6) Blackwell Unbound (PC) (7.5) (1/7) (2.2 hours)
7) Blackwell Convergence (PC) (8.0) (1/7) (2.4 hours)
8) Blackwell Deception (PC) (8.0) (1/8) (4.7 hours)
9) Blackwell Epiphany (PC) (9.0) (1/9) (6.5 hours)
10) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4) (8.0) (1/22) (~55 hours)
11) Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (360) (8.0) (1/28) (~.5 hours)
12) Deep Duck Trouble Starring Donald Duck (SMS) (6.5) (1/31) (~1 hour)

February:
13) Quackshot Starring Donald Duck (GEN) (7.5) (2/7) (~2 hours)
14) Fire Emblem Heroes (Android) (8.0) (2/9) (~10 hours)
15) Super C (NES) (9.5) (2/20) (~0.5 hours)
16) Contra (NES) (10.0) (2/20) (~0.5 hours)
17) Mickey's Dangerous Chase (GB) (6.5) (2/24) (~1 hour)
18) My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (3DS) (8.5) (2/25) (~19 hours)
19) Mega Man 2 (NES) (10.0) (2/28) (~0.8 hours)

March:
20) Final Fantasy XV (PS4) (8.0) (3/2) (~33 hours)
21) Blaster Master Zero (NS) (9.0) (3/10) (~6.5 hours)
22) Espgaluda II Black Label (360) (8.0?) (3/17) (0.5 hours)
23) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS) (9.5) (3/28) (~70+ hours)

April:
24) Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (PC) (8.5) (4/7) (~5.5 hours)
25) Hyper Light Drifter (PS4) (8.0) (4/9) (~8 hours)
26) Gekido Advance: Kintaro's Revenge (GBA) (7.5) (4/16) (~3 hours)
27) Vanquish (PS3) (8.5) (4/17) (~7 hours)
28) Journey (PS3) (6.0) (4/19) (~2 hours)
29) GunForce (SNES) (4.0) (4/22) (~20 minutes)
30) GunForce 2 (ARC) (7.0) (4/23) (~30 minutes)
31) GunForce: Battle Fire Engulfed Terror Island (ARC) (6.0) (4/23) (~20 minutes)
32) Mighty Final Fight (NES) (8.5) (4/29) (~30 minutes)

Better update this before I forget. Great brawler, far better than it probably had any right to be. I'd totally play a new one of these.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon May 01, 2017 10:30 am

21. Demon's Souls | PS3 | Action-RPG | 2009 | 45h | 9/10

A crazed king mad with ambition has called upon an ancient evil to grant him wild power. Doing so has awoken a terrible demonic force wreaking havoc upon the land. A hero is needed, someone to slay the demons and put the king back in his place. Take up the mantle of this savior, and fight through a fantasy drenched medieval world. With sword and shield you will YOU DIED With sword and shield you will overcome the YOU DIED With sword and shield you will overcome every obstacle YOU DIED With sword and shield you will overcome every obstacle, so that that YOU DIED With sword and shield you will overcome every obstacle, so that the world might be YOU DIED With sword and shield you will overcome every obstacle, so that the world might be mended.

The 7th generation of gaming can be remembered for many things. The rise of the cover shooting genre, spectacle graphics taking center stage, super robust online capabilities, and games having ridiculously low levels of difficulty in general. Why run Joe Gamer and his delicious disposable income away by making your game too hard? Make him feel like a super hero, and hold his hand all the way. He'll come back for more! But then along came Demon's Souls. Demon's Souls is the anti-thesis of the No Gamer Left Behind movement of the 7th gen. Demon's Souls wants you to die. And die. And die again. You will die until you like it. You will eat your own death for breakfast, and snuggle up close to your death at night. Or you will stop playing Demon's Souls, and shelve it permanently, after it kicks your precious gamer pride right in the nether region. Over, and over, and over again.

How hard is Demon's Souls? When you die, you are resurrected. But half of your life is permanently gone, until you beat another boss. When you die, every restorative item in a level you already found stays gone, but every enemy respawns. And every time you die the world's tendency gets darker, making the world harder. Combat is super technical, every hit you make needs to be calculated and perfectly executed, or you will suffer. Your weapons and armor wear down and break. YOU CANNOT PAUSE THE GAME. Get an important phone call in the middle of a boss battle? Too bad, Demon's Souls owns you while you play it. You have no control over your save file. Demon's Souls automatically saves, constantly, so every mistake or choice you make remains permanent. There are no checkpoints in the levels, if a boss kills you, you'll have to replay the entire level over again, just like an old NES game. Even the weakest enemies will kill you if you don't take them seriously, no matter how much you level up. Some of the bosses in Demon's Souls are so hard, that many gamers only beat them by exploiting glitches. No doubt, Demon's Souls is tremendously difficult for a first timer. Especially if they don't use a strategy guide and a magic user. It doesn't matter how long you've been playing video games dear reader, beating Demon's Souls is like climbing a mountain made out of mountains.

What does Demon's Souls have to offer besides serious difficulty? Foreboding and morose atmosphere falling out of every pixel, for sure. An enigmatic plot that must be ruminated upon via small clues to make any sense. An extremely technical combat system offering plenty of variety depending on weapon or magic usage. Stupendous level designs which are always a joy to explore (sans 5-2). Some of the best boss battles ever made, with smaller enemy design often wonderful as well. Jaw dropping in-game sequences which I won't spoil. And some of the most rewarding feelings of accomplishment you can find in modern gaming. But to be honest, the point of this game is always its challenge. That's why there are continuous New Game+ modes where the difficulty just keeps getting harder.

I have read Demon's Souls described as "Zelda for Adults", and while I think that's a bit apples to oranges, it's still a decent point of contrast. There are some JRPGs considered legendarily hard, and like The 7th Saga, SMT: Nocturne, and Etrian Odyssey, Demon's Souls earns its rightful place in the legit list. For anyone to say Demon's Souls isn't hard, their opinion matters not if they haven't actually beaten the game themselves. For to fight against Demon's Souls is to discover what kind of a gamer you really are. You will either give up in disgust, never to touch it again. Or you will persevere and overcome, proving yourself worthy as a legitimate hardcore player. No Demon's Souls isn't the hardest game ever, but it's definitely harder than 99% of the rest of the 7th gen's collective library. There's just no way around it; if you beat Demon's Souls, you will come out of the experience a better gamer then you were going in.

PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

by marurun Mon May 01, 2017 11:39 am

I have a question about the Souls series that maybe you can answer based on having just beaten Demon's Souls. One complaint I've heard about the difficulty is that there are lots of cheap deaths, deaths you can't anticipate because there are lots of gotchas with enemy placement where you just have to memorize where things are. Is this the case?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon May 01, 2017 11:42 am

marurun wrote:I have a question about the Souls series that maybe you can answer based on having just beaten Demon's Souls. One complaint I've heard about the difficulty is that there are lots of cheap deaths, deaths you can't anticipate because there are lots of gotchas with enemy placement where you just have to memorize where things are. Is this the case?

Hope Exhuminator doesn't mind me jumping in here (He'll probably just confirm :P ), but yes, Demon's has that. Moreso than Dark Souls and the rest of the games. Demon's is definitely the most obtuse with some cheap hilarious trap moments with dragons or death pits, etc.

======

1. Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour (PC)
2. Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter* (PC)
3. Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter (PC)
4. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (PC)
5. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (PC)
6. Deadcore (PC)
7. Yakuza 4 (PS3)
8. Hyper Light Drifter (PC)
9. Doom 2: Valiant (PC)
10. Resident Evil 7 (PS4)
10. Doom 2: Ancient Aliens (PC)
11. Doom 2: Vanguard (PC)
12. Doom 2: Doom 2 The Way id Did (PC)
13. Doom 2: Community Chest Pack 4 (PC)
14. Doom: Doom The Way id Did (PC)
15. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 (PC)
16. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 (PC)
17. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (WiiU)
18. Dishonored 2 (PC)
19. Kirby's Dream Land (GB)
20. Kirby's Dream Land 2 (GB)
21. Super Mario Land (GB)
22. Super Mario Land 2 (GB)
23. Mighty Final Fight (NES)
24. Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES)

* replay

Not bad for a run but I like Superstar way more.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon May 01, 2017 12:17 pm

marurun wrote:lots of cheap deaths, deaths you can't anticipate

I wouldn't say "lots" of cheap deaths. But there are certainly cheap deaths you wouldn't anticipate. You'll die falling off ledges or into holes as often as you will fighting. Often times BECAUSE of fighting, due to enemy placement on precarious elevated areas. You'll die because of interacting with X before you know what X does. And the camera will get you killed plenty. Especially in boss fights where you get pushed up against a wall, and the camera just shows your back, while the boss destroys your front because you can't even see what it's doing anymore.

Most of Demon's Souls difficulty is fair, but not all of it.

--

I forgot to mention bloodstains. :x As you go through a level, you collect souls (which act as this game's currency - to either buy items/gear or use to upgrade your stat levels). Souls are collected primary by killing enemies, but can be found on slain heroes as well. However, if you die as you traverse a level, you leave a bloodstain and lose all of your souls. If you can make it back to your bloodstain, and touch it before you die again, you'll regain all the lost souls. But if you die before you make it back to the bloodstain, those souls are lost forever.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

by marurun Mon May 01, 2017 1:20 pm

I'm pretty sure the unfair deaths would frustrate me and discourage me from honing my skills in preparation for the fair deaths.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon May 01, 2017 2:37 pm

Games Beaten in 2017 So Far - 37

January (10 Games Beaten)
1. Persona 4 Arena - Playstation 3 - January 1
2. Chrono Trigger - SNES - January 7
3. Ys: The Vanished Omens - Master System - January 8
4. MUSHA - Genesis - January 10
5. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below - PlayStation 4 - January 11
6. Ys I - TurboGrafx-CD - January 13
7. Ys II - TurboGrafx-CD - January 14
8. Dragon Quest Builders - PlayStation 4 - January 23
9. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. School Girl/Zombie Hunter - PlayStation 4 - January 29

February (12 Games Beaten)
11. Fire Emblem Heroes - Android - February 3
12. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - Wii U - February 5
13. Dante's Inferno - PlayStation 3 - February 7
14. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - DS - February 11
15. Persona 4: Dancing All Night - Vita - February 12
16. Sniper Elite 4 - PlayStation 4 - February 17
17. Pony Quest - NES - February 19
18. Halo Wars 2 - Xbox One - February 22
19. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - PlayStation Portable - February 24
20. Hotline Miami - PlayStation 4 - February 26
21. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - Famicom - February 27
22. Bad Dudes - NES - February 28

March (6 Games Beaten)
23. Root Letter - PlayStation 4 - March 2
24. Vroom in the Night Sky - Switch - March 10
25. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch - March 17
26. Super Bomberman R - Switch - March 18
27. Super Mario Run - Android - March 24
28. I Am Setsuna - Switch - March 24

April (9 Games Beaten)
29. Mass Effect: Andromeda - PlayStation 4 - April 1
30. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army - PlayStation 4 - April 2
31. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2 - PlayStation 4 - April 2
32. New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers - Switch - April 3
33. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 3 - PlayStation 4 - April 4
34. Persona 5 - PlayStation 4 - April 17
35. Alienation - PlayStation 4 - April 18
36. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - PlayStation 4 - April 23
37. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - PlayStation 4 - April 29

37. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - PlayStation 4 - April 29

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair, the sequel to the brilliantly captivating Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, is everything that a sequel should be. It takes the mechanics that made the first game great and makes them better. It builds upon the story of the tragedy at Hope's Peak Academy, but it's not until about halfway through that it stops feeling like a gaiden game and starts to feel like a true sequel, and that delayed recognition of its connection to the original is part of what makes it such a good sequel. Like the first hill on a roller coaster, you know it's building up to something, but you don't quite know what, and by the time you realize what's over that hill, it's already flying at you full speed ahead.

The basic premise of the game is roughly the same as in the first game - you're a group of 16 students from Hope's Peak Academy trapped my Monokuma in a killing game. The main difference is that instead of being trapped in a creepy fortified high school, you're trapped on a beautiful tropical island. The mechanics of the game work largely as they did in the first game; you run around the island and explore stuff, talk to people, get to know your classmates, investigate murders, and complete the class trial. The biggest difference in that regard is that when you're running around the island, it's in a third person side scrolling perspective instead of a first person 3D perspective. Otherwise it plays almost exactly the same.

The main difference in gameplay that I noticed was that the class trial segments have been expanded and revamped. New "minigames" have been added to the class trials, and the ones that were already there have been redone and MUCH improved. The rhythm one is actually fun now, Hangman's Gambit actually makes sense, nonstop debate now has weaknesses with which you can agree instead of just countering, and a couple of segments are entirely new. All in all, that's the big improvement in this game - the class trials are SIGNIFICANTLY more enjoyable than in the first game.

The characters this time around, in general, I found myself less interested in, although I did grow QUITE attached to Fuyuhiko, Chikari, and Nekomaru. Mostly, though, the general setting and story this time interested me less than in Trigger Happy Havoc. That's not to say that I didn't find the game enjoyable - I certainly did - but the mystery, the exploration, and the character development in the previous game meant a lot more to me and piqued my interest a lot more than the equivalent offerings this time around.

That said, the characters were still pretty memorable. Just because they don't quite meet the high bar set by the first game's cast doesn't mean that they're unlikable. Some of the dialogue is downright hilarious. Because I knew generally what to expect from Danganronpa after the first game, the betrayal and heartbreak didn't hit me quite as hard in this one. I did, after all, know that most of the characters were going to be dead by the end of the game. Because of that, it didn't hurt quite as much for most of the murders....most, but not all. While the game in general didn't fill me with as much despair as the first one, there were certain parts that cut far deeper than the first game.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair is a somewhat unique kind of sequel. It continues the story of the first game, but you won't realize that it's doing so until the latter half of the game. Rather than expanding the first game's narrative, it tells the half of the story that you didn't know you were missing. This is a bit of an a tangent, but the way it's all tied together, however, is not through this game but through the anime that followed. Consider the Taoist symbol of the Yin and the Yang. You have the duality of the Yin, darkness, and the Yang, light. On their own, they are distinct and often seen as unrelated. Bringing them together, however - fusing these diametrically opposed concepts - gives you the true nature of existence. In terms of the larger narrative, just the story of the Hope's Peak killing school life from Trigger Happy Havoc tells you nothing. Just the story of the Jabberwock Island killing school trip tells you nothing. It's only when those two are put together in the end of this saga - the Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak High School anime - that you see in what way and to what extent each of the two half are central to the story. I wish that final chapter had been told in a game rather than anime, but the manner in which everything is brought together is artistically brilliant.

If you're playing Danganronpa 2 to continue the story from the end of the first game, then you're going to want to pick up with the anime after you finish this game. Looking at the game as its own entity, however, it's a brilliant mystery visual novel that expands on the mechanics of the first game in every way, even if the narrative falls a little short of its predecessor in my personal opinion. I would definitely suggest people not play this until after finishing the first game, but if you have finished the first game, then I absolutely recommend playing this on whatever platform you prefer if you at all enjoyed Trigger Happy Havoc.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Mon May 01, 2017 3:01 pm

fastbilly1 wrote:1. Day of the Tentacle Remastered - PC
2. Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide - PC
3. Final Fantasy VII - PSX
4. Zelda Breath of the Wild - Switch
5. Warframe - PC
6. Kingdom Rush - Android
7. Kingdom Rush Frontiers - Android
8. Kingdom Rush Origins - Android
9. Secret of Monkey Island Talkie Edition - PC
10. Secret of Monkey Island 2 SE - PC
11. Fast RMX - Switch

12. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Switch
This is a bit of a gimmie, I played Mario Kart 8 a pretty good bit. I beat every grandprix on 150cc on Friday, then for an experiment I beat it in 50cc without touching the controller. A couple maps gave Koopa Trooper trouble, but he managed (though with some tweaking on the original DLC maps). I did play Battlemode online for awhile with pubs and won half a dozen matches, then got stomped in Shine Get.

Its not like I am done with it. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the best entry in the series. 8 had the best racing, but a horrible battlemode. Now we have a proper battlemode with eight diverse stages (sadly no blockfort or doubledecker). Completely thrilled with the title and justified the purchase.
Flake

by Flake Mon May 01, 2017 3:34 pm

January:
Super Mario Bros Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3 (GBA/WiiU)
Super Mario Bros Advance 2: Yoshi's Island (GBA/WiiU)
Wario Land 4 (GBA/WiiU)

March:
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3)

April:
Front Mission 3 (PS1/PSTV)
Mega Man 2 (PS4)

Finally got around to playing the Megaman Legacy collection on PS4. I have some mixed feelings about it but I think I ultimately am going to prefer it to the NES originals or my well-worn Megaman Anniversary Collection for the PS2 in the long run.

Using Megaman 2 as an example, I really like the option to play the Western 'Megaman' version of the game as well as the original 'Rockman' version. That's a really neat nod to the history of the franchise as well as a step in the right direction for game preservation.

Speaking to game preservation, the amount of content in terms of graphics and concept art is really nice. It would be nice if it incorporated more material like what what the Rockman series books from Udon have but I guess it's not really good to have too much product overlap.

I appreciated that there were many options for visual filters. On my 43 inch HDTV, the classic resolution and filter settings made the visuals pretty bad. The 'clean and full' settings made it so that there were only problems when the background tiles (like on Bubble Man's level) were flashing or swapping places to simulate dynamic environments like running water or moving gears.

The things that bothered me were pretty minor and are easily explained away by the developer's intent to preserve the feeling of the original games. In the Anniversary collection, I got used to being able to use shoulder buttons to cycle through Robot Master powers or to opt for arranged music. None of that is in this game but that is pretty forgivable.

Already started a run of Megaman 3 and I plan to try some of the challenge and remix sets to see what those are like.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon May 01, 2017 3:47 pm

The Legacy Collection is perfect. I won't be touching the Anniversary Collection again.
Return to General Gaming