Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by pierrot »

MrPopo wrote:They're more abstract than that. They are a component with two address lines and two data lines; each address line corresponds to a data line and they increment independently. Any read or write operation on a data line will increment the address by one, and you can read the address line to get the current position. ROM is just RAM that you preinserted values in the editor. The game doesn't really present manual flip flops to you. You do have access to NAND, NOR, XNOR, and NOT gates and can build your own flip flop, but it's pretty unnecessary for solving things. There's also a programmable gate array with a flip flop available, but the community consensus seems to be it doesn't actually let you do anything more efficiently than the other components

So, it sounds like I could just hack the crap out of the game with those logic gates, if it weren't for the physical constraints they built into it. I feel a little compelled to try this one out, but I'm also pretty sure I would hate it. Sounds too much like "playing" with a Fisher-Price version of Altium, or similar design software package.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

84. Night Slashers | Arcade | 1993 | 7/10

ImageImage

Night Slashers is basically Final Fight, except instead of beating up bad dudes and punks, you're beating up zombies and werewolves. Bosses run the gamut of Frankenstein, Dracula, the Mummy, and other typical Halloween monsters. Night Slashers is plenty of fun if you enjoy classic beat 'em ups, but there's nothing here revolutionary to speak of. Night Slashers is entertaining in its own macabre way (lots of gory splattering everywhere), but there's nothing here you haven't seen before in dozens of other beat 'em ups. Well, except for the zombie bowling. There is zombie bowling. If you do play Night Slashers, stick with the Japanese version, every other version has lame censoring.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Deus Ex Mankind Divided.

The story is a big step down from HR. I still greatly enjoyed the game even if it seemed shorter. Mechanically is much better than HR. They still did not fix the item box problem of things not stacking. It looks really nice as a game but the facial animations are horrible and very out of sync. The music is similar to HR and that's not a bad thing. The areas to explore are much bigger and I love that. Detroit felt a little small. I also felt the level design was less confusing. Thankfully they removed boss fights except for 1 that's optional and another that is story related you can technically avoid. Really enjoyed the game overall.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

1. Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour (PC)
2. Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter* (PC)
3. Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter (PC)
4. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (PC)
5. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (PC)
6. Deadcore (PC)
7. Yakuza 4 (PS3)
8. Hyper Light Drifter (PC)
9. Doom 2: Valiant (PC)
10. Resident Evil 7 (PS4)
10. Doom 2: Ancient Aliens (PC)
11. Doom 2: Vanguard (PC)
12. Doom 2: Doom 2 The Way id Did (PC)
13. Doom 2: Community Chest Pack 4 (PC)
14. Doom: Doom The Way id Did (PC)
15. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 (PC)
16. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 (PC)
17. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (WiiU)
18. Dishonored 2 (PC)
19. Kirby's Dream Land (GB)
20. Kirby's Dream Land 2 (GB)
21. Super Mario Land (GB)
22. Super Mario Land 2 (GB)
23. Mighty Final Fight (NES)
24. Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES)
25. Trip World (GB)
26. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (Genesis)
27. Aladdin (Genesis)
28. Streets of Rage (SMS)
29. Bare Knuckle (Genesis)
30. Bare Knuckle 2* (Genesis)
31. Bare Knuckle 3* (Genesis)
32. Marchen Adventure Cotton 100% (SNES)
33. Earthworm Jim* (Sega CD)
34. Ghouls'n Ghosts (Genesis)
35. Contra (NES)
36. Super C (NES)
37. Final Fight 2* (SNES)
38. Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES)
39. Final Fight 3* (SNES)
40. Operation C (GB)
41. Contra Hard Corps [End B] (Genesis)
42. Mega Turrican (Genesis)
43. Prey (PC)
44. Dark Souls 3 DLC: Ashes of Ariandel & The Ringed City (PS4)
45. Spec Ops: The Line (PC)
46. System Shock Enhanced Edition (PC)
47. Tekken 7 (PS4)
48. Nier Automata [Platinum] (PS4)
49. Nier (B) (PS3)
50. Drakengard 3 (A-C) (PS3)
51. FEAR Extraction Point* (PC)
52. FEAR Perseus Mandate* (PC)
53. Transmissions: Element 120 (PC)
54. Ratchet & Clank (PS4)
55. Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4)
56. Sonic CD* (PC)
57. Alan Wake* (PC)
58. Deus Ex* (PC)
59. Momodora III (PC)
60. Mega Man 7* (PS4, MMLC2)
61. Mega Man 8* (PS4, MMLC2)
62. Mega Man 9* (PS4, MMLC2)
63. Mega Man 10* (PS4, MMLC2)
64. Rockman & Forte* (SNES)
65. Mega Man Legends (PSX)
66. Sonic Mania (PC)
67. Mega Man Legends 2 (PSX)
68. Dishonored: Death of the Outsider (PC)
69. Yakuza 0 (PS4)
70. Metroid Samus Returns (3DS)
71. Blue Revolver (PC)
72. Caladrius Blaze (PC)
73. Crimson Clover World Ignition (PC)
74. Deathsmiles (PC)
75. Ikaruga* (PC)
76. Jamestown (PC)
77. Metal Slug (PC)
78. Metal Slug 3 (PC)
79. Metal Slug X (PC)
80. Mushihimesama (PC)
81. Dead Space* (PC)
82. AM2R* (PC)
83. Trouble Witches Origin (PC)
84. Blaster Master Zero (3DS)
85. Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds (3DS)

Posted most of my last minute thoughts here yesterday:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=31352&start=7030#p1113567

Total Rupees Found: 24,597
Times Defeated: 0
14:31

Cool ending. I liked it, 8/10.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

85. Terrordrome | PC | 8/10

Imagine if Mortal Kombat's roster was replaced with famous horror movie villains. Instead of Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Liu Kang, rather you have choices like Freddy Krueger, Pinhead, and Leatherface. Now you've got the gist of Terrordrome. Obviously the level of intellectual property mixing here is the stuff of lawyers' nightmares, and that's why Terrordrome is an unsanctioned fan game. But this is not a sloppy janky joke of a fighter, no, Terrordrome is extremely well made. There are fourteen maniacal murderers to choose from, and each plays uniquely. The professionally animated rendered models convincingly replicate the evil bad guys, and each of their fighting styles are true to their abilities in their films. Every background is faithfully created from famous scenes, with voices and music dubbed from movies as well. The controls are simple, tight, and responsive, with AI that puts up a good fight (in hard mode at least). There's a story mode for each character (I beat Pinhead's), with respective cutscenes. If you enjoy slasher horror films, and you enjoy fighting games, you absolutely must play Terrordrome. This labor of love took its creators over nine years to complete, and the quality proves it. Grab some friends on Halloween and have yourselves a Terrordrome Tournament.

To download: http://terrordrome-thegame.com/download/
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Ha, been a while since I heard someone talk about Terrordrome.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

yeah I think it's been like 7 or 8 years since I played that.

Imagine if Mortal Kombat's roster was replaced with famous horror movie villains. Instead of Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Liu Kang, rather you have choices like Freddy Krueger, Pinhead, and Leatherface.

Ironically, the Mortal Kombat cast has now been expanded to include Leatherface, Freddy, along with Jason, Predator and a Xenomorph.
Ack

Post by Ack »

1. Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide (PC)(Action)
2. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (SNES)(Fighting)
3. DRAGON: The Bruce Lee Story (SNES)(Fighting)
4. Eradicator (PC)(FPS)
5. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (PC)(FPS)
6. D-Force (SNES)(SHMUP)
7. Eye of the Beholder II: The Legend of Darkmoon (PC)(RPG)
8. Dying Light (PC)(FPS/RPG)
9. Dying Light: The Following (PC)(FPS/RPG)
10. Gauntlet: Slayer Edition (PC)(Hack and Slash)
11. Dear Esther: Landmark Edition (PC)(Walking Simulator)
12. Dead Pixels (PC)(Run and Gun)
13. Half-Life: C.A.G.E.D. (PC)(FPS)
14. Hell Yeah: Wrath of the Dead Rabbit (PC)(Action Platformer)

15. Half-Life 2: Episode 2 (PC)(FPS)

It's tough for me to believe Episode 2 is ten years old, but it is. Ten years is a long time to wait for that cliffhanger ending. I'm glad I waited. Truth be told, I'd been meaning to get around to this for a while, but with all of the announcements regarding HL3 and key staff leaving Valve earlier this year, it was finally time.

So, the good, the bad, and the ugly... Yes, this game has all three for me. First of all though, and perhaps most important, is that Episode 2 continues the smooth gunplay of Half-Life 2. That means the gravity gun is a blast to use, the pistols feel meaty even when they're not(but the base pistol is still practically a spitball sniper rifle), and the shotgun is a punch-packing workhorse that is my go to. Yes, I still have my rule that you should always judge an FPS based on its shotgun, and Episode 2 delivers just as its predecessors did. The SMG does still feel like a peashooter with a grenade launcher attachment, and the Combine assault rifle has too small of an ammo pool, but I used them when necessary. The one weapon that I found the least useful this time was the rocket launcher, mainly because there were never any instances where it seemed important; other tools were always available for the job.

With solid gameplay though, I do have some issues, namely the ridiculous physics of HL2. Ever wondered if you could launch yourself into the air by picking up a garden gnome the wrong way or somehow crush yourself between a chainlink fence and an unmoving car while you're simply standing still? You can! That said, I did the gnome run on my first playthrough, and that might have been a mistake. Carrying the gnome around highlights the crazy issues with the physics of the game and makes some situations which should be exhilarating into something much more frustrating. The helicopter segment was pure Hell while I was worrying about that little bastard.

I must applaud the way story is handled here though. The Half-Life series always did an excellent job of incorporating story directly into the gameplay, and Ep2 largely continued that tradition...with a couple of exceptions where control was taken away and I was forced to just sit and watch. The couple of times this happened irked me primarily because of how good I've always considered HL2 about story presentation. But this is only a couple of times, roughly 10 minutes of about 5-6 hours of gameplay. I hardly think it's worth dinging the entire experience over this.

By now, most of you all should know if you like the Half-Life series. If you're an FPS fan and you haven't played a Half-Life game, you need to rectify that simply for history's sake. Now if you haven't gotten around to the episodes following Half-Life 2, that can be forgiven...but you might as well get to it now, because who knows when HL3 or Episode 3 is coming. These are some of the best in terms of single player FPS experiences. Obviously I recommend them to fans of the genre or people simply interested in finding out what the hype is all about.

Just don't expect it to always be easy or physics to make sense. I found empty boxes far deadlier than most of the denizens of the game.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I enjoyed the expansion episodes more than the original Half-Life 2, overall. But I enjoyed the original Half-Life and its expansions far more than I did Half-Life 2 and its expansions. I have to wonder if someone had not played these games before, but were familiar with the modern FPS genre, how they might interpret the H-L series retrospectively. I have to imagine the Half-Life series has lost a lot of impact, given how influential these games were, thus tons of FPS games since have incorporated H-L's tricks. It does suck that we may never know the ultimate fate of Gordon Freeman and company, but to be honest dude, I never played the Half-Life games for their plots. (Except for maybe Blue Shift, 'cause Barney.)

Anyway congrats on having finished off the saga.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Exhuminator wrote:I enjoyed the expansion episodes more than the original Half-Life 2, overall. But I enjoyed the original Half-Life and its expansions far more than I did Half-Life 2 and its expansions. I have to wonder if someone had not played these games before, but were familiar with the modern FPS genre, how they might interpret the H-L series retrospectively. I have to imagine the Half-Life series has lost a lot of impact, given how influential these games were, thus tons of FPS games since have incorporated H-L's tricks. It does suck that we may never know the ultimate fate of Gordon Freeman and company, but to be honest dude, I never played the Half-Life games for their plots. (Except for maybe Blue Shift, 'cause Barney.)

Anyway congrats on having finished off the saga.

Barney always makes it better. And thanks very much.

The last time I played through the original Half-Life was around...2010 or so, and I remember at the time still being impressed. Not only for how it handled its story presentation (something we still see games grapple with, even if the story itself isn't spectacular or even original), but also for how the AI operated, the feel of the firepower, the variety of settings and locales, and just how big the game made the world feel despite being trapped in essentially corridors where I had to go from point A to B. Going back in 2017 though for Half-Life: C.A.G.E.D., I realized how lackluster some of that gunplay and AI feels when compared to (some) modern FPS. But this doesn't bother me, as it took 20 years before I finally felt the experience was "old."

Half-Life has aged remarkably well, so even for those kids who might only experience it now, there are elements there that I believe can still be appreciated. Yeah, it's tough to say its completely shining in the gameplay department after the mobility of the new DOOM, but it still beats the pants off it in multiplayer. And there are many multiplayer games that owe a lot to Half-Life (and Quake) and don't come close to what the mod community was able to bring us. I think there is still a lot to appreciate, even if the whippersnappers don't get it. We'll always have super shotties and killbox!