Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by pierrot »

It's kind of nice to have a list of beaten games somewhere, that doesn't include games I later marked as completed:

1. Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys (PCE-CD)
2. Mega Bomberman (GEN)
3. Lost in Shadow (Wii)
4. Kirby's Dream Land (via Wii Dream Collection) (GB)
5. Kirby's Dream Land 2 (via Wii Dream Collection) (GB)
6. Kirby's Dream Land 3 (via Wii Dream Collection) (SNES)
7. Saturn Bomberman (SAT)
8. Rent a Hero (GEN)
9. Tricolore Crise (DC)
10. Super Mario: Yoshi Island (SFC)
11. Clockwork Knight: Pepperouchou no Daibouken (Joukan) (SAT)
12. Mickey to Donald: Magical Adventure 3 (SFC)
13. Kishin Douji Zenki: Battle Raiden (SFC)
14. Super Donkey Kong (SFC)
15. Super Donkey Kong 2: Dixie & Diddy (SFC)
16. Anearth Fantasy Stories: First Volume (SAT)
17. Panzer Dragoon (SAT)
18. Panzer Dragoon II Zwei (SAT)
19. Panzer Dragoon Orta (XBOX)

I wasn't really intending to write much, but after jotting down the list, I feel a little like I have to.

Spoiler-ed 'cause there's lots of squiggles:

Mega Bomberman was the game I played the most for the Genesis, as a kid, after Sonic 2, and maybe Madden. I was hopelessly stuck on the crab boss in world 3, and remember my dad trying to help me at some point, saying that I should go back through the levels in world 3 to get the power ups. When I first saw that it had two phases, I was totally dejected.

I probably hadn't played the game since '97 or so. I didn't have much trouble with that crab boss, but wow did it get punishing by the end. I'm pretty surprised I actually finished it, considering how ridiculous the final area, and final bosses were. If kid-me had been sitting around watching adult-me play through this game, I'm sure he would have been pretty impressed with how much more "colorful" the obscenities that got thrown around were, and astonished by what some good, ol' fashioned, obstinance can accomplish.

Saturn Bomberman was waved around in my face, by an advertisement on the back of the manual, every time I would open up Sonic Jam. Even though I hated the crab boss in Mega Bomberman so--dadgum--much, I still really liked the game, which made that advertisement pretty effective in making me want Saturn Bomberman. I never did get it, growing up, but I've had the Japanese version for a few years now. It's pretty good. I like the way the dino mounts grow, and power up over time. The bosses and stages are bit more interesting, in comparison to Mega Bomberman, as well. It's also a very graphically appealing game.

--

Lost in Shadow is sort of a bummer, in that it seems like it should be a really nice marriage between Limbo and Ico, but is not nearly as good as either of those games. It plays well enough, but it's way too long. The latter 4/5ths of the game really does very little different from the first 1/5th. The big shtick that does come into play is introduced way too late for it to not feel like a, "fuck you, you're going to go back through the levels now, and liking it," from the developers. There are also these "shadow corridors" that are pretty much a waste of time. They affect completion percentage, but are just a snooze. Also, the story is completely ridiculous; Even more so by the end of the game than at the beginning.

--

Kirby games are always good. Dream Land is pretty short, but enjoyable. I 100%-ed 2, which was a bit of a chore, but I do like the animal buddies. Well, Coo, anyway. The secret final boss is a little ridiculous, though. I got the "good" ending in 3, which only gives 97% completion. Getting the other three percent involves some really dumb mini games in the options menu. I missed one of them by a single question. It's dumb. Moving on--.

--

Rent a Hero was pretty cool. It's a little spartan in its presentation, but it plays pretty well. The one major complaint would be the hit detection in the fight scenes, but I'm pretty sure that's intentional, because the controls are pretty much perfect. It's a fairly tough game because of it, though. Combat aside, Rent a Hero is sort of like what would happen if Earthbound were actually playable, and had good humor, or an interesting story. I quite enjoyed Rent a Hero, but I can still understand why it would have been panned on release, and available for under 100 yen after a couple weeks. I can also understand how it rose from the ashes as a cult classic that commanded 10,000+ yen, a number of years later.

--

Tricolore Crise is for people who really like crafting, grinding, and pumping stat boosters into 'customizable' familiars. It's an interesting game, but it's really, really, really, really, really slooooooooowwwwwww. The story is ostensibly about a test to determine the team-of-three most fit to woman some towers meant to control the Ivalice (ie. monster) hoards. It's a bit droll in practice, really. Although there is a rebellion at one point, the main intrigue comes in the form of interacting with the other teams, but it's done so rather specifically, and a lot of it can be easily missed. It's not a bad game, I'd just struggle to call it a great one. It was okay for what it was.

--

Yoshi's Island was one of just a couple games I ever had for the SNES, growing up. I always enjoyed it, but never really got any farther than maybe into the second world. (There's a pattern here. I was not good at video games as a kid, nor was I especially patient.) In my mind, Yoshi's Island was always the one 2D Mario (aside from Mario Bros, I guess) that I could say I enjoyed. It's not really as good as I remember, but it is still good. I like the bosses, but there's still not much that really differentiates the stages, for me. This is kind of the issue I have with a lot of Nintendo platformers: It feels like they lack cohesion.

For that matter, DKC was one of the other SNES games I had as a kid, and I had probably only made it as far as world 3. I really don't care much for this game, even though I didn't mind too much as a kid. It's kind of fun to run around as Diddy, but every other level is in a cave, or set to some equally dark, uninteresting backdrop. Also, DK seriously sucks.

DKC 2 might be worse, though. I like both of the characters, but I just really hate a lot of the levels. Particularly where there are really annoying gimmicks, like the brambles. Most of worlds one and four are all right, and I like a couple of the early levels in world 5, but the rest is a hot mess--world 2.

For the record, I liked DKC 3 a lot, and completed it 100%.

--

Clockwork Knight was WAY better than I thought it would be. It was actually--dare I say--really good. The controls might take a little bit of getting used to, though, as Tongara tends to slide a little. Overall, I thought there was some pretty crafty stage design, and I really liked the final boss.

--

Magical Adventure 3 is a letdown, and I kind of forgot all about it even though I played it just over a week ago. Not nearly as good as the first two. There's just something really off about the way it plays.

--

Zenki was pretty good--looks amazing--but the controls are a bit stiff. Zenki has a bunch of different attacks, and maneuvers, which are all pretty cool, but he doesn't really feel as mobile as I feel he should. I enjoyed the game, though. The level design isn't especially great, or anything, but it's fairly fun, and the bosses are tough, but fair. It's a pretty short game, though.

--

Anearth is a weird one. It has an FFII-like growth system, but no random battles. Every battle is completely scripted, and aside from a couple exceptions, once those enemies are defeated, they're gone; They ain't never comin' back. A lot of Japanese websites say that a walkthrough for the game is mandatory, but I didn't really see why. There are a lot of tricky flags, I guess. I actually did get stuck in the royal capitol because I was going to where the fortune teller told me to, but I needed to actually stay at the inn before the person I was supposed to find there would actually show up. I was avoiding staying at the inn, because the old woman in my party had tried to molest my main character the last time I had stayed there. She succeeded in molesting the little mage girl who later joined my party, and did get the main character after using a potion of youth--. Olga is a beast of a swordswoman, but she's legitimately a pedophile, and it's pretty disconcerting how casual the game is about her penchant for sexual assault of kids, when the final screen in the game just says "God Bless You." Before the final boss she also has a nice line where she tells the main character to stop crying, and that if he wants to make something wet, it should be between her legs.
About that final boss, though: It's absurd, and I had to mix herbs for stat boosting items until I was nearly at max stats before it was beatable. Also, certain characters have lines that they say before every attack, and they get so annoying toward the end of the game (particularly the second to last boss). The ending is so indescribably terrible, I could barely stand it. It was so ridiculously dumb that it just had me in stitches laughing at its absurdity. This is a game that people seem to either call a masterpiece, or garbage. I liked it a fair amount until the end of the game, for what it's worth.

--

Sometime in the early aughts, I was upset about the discontinuation of the Dreamcast, and watching X-Play talk about Panzer Dragoon Saga. Obviously this lead me to Ebay, where I saw that PDS was way out of my price range. I settled for a listing of PD I and II for about $25. I never really played all that much of them, mostly because they just seemed to be way too difficult. I've actually beaten PDS and PD Mini, but let the first two games languish for such a long time.

I decided to put in Panzer Dragoon the other day, though, and while I'd always struggled to get past the Episode 4 boss, I had very little trouble passing that, and beating the game (Although Episode 6 was tricky). I guess it just clicked at that point. So, that's a fun game with a really good soundtrack, but a pretty rough framerate, and pretty tricky gameplay, because of it. Zwei, though, is damn near perfect. Where the original is a bit tough, for the wrong reasons, Zwei has probably the perfect difficulty, with some really nice gameplay improvements: camera control, branching paths, dragon evolutions, etc. While it doesn't have the orchestral soundtrack of the first, I think Zwei's OST is better, and it perfectly fits with the stages. Zwei also runs really well, has some gorgeous set-pieces, and overall, very nice graphics for the time. I love Zwei. Uh-muh-guh, and that soundtrack!

Orta is kind of-- I really don't know. It seems like it should be way better than Zwei, but I don't like it more. The stages just don't feel as exciting, or fun; I don't like the music quite as much; Switching dragon forms is kind of a chore. This is actually the first XBOX game I've ever beaten, and honestly, the sterile, plastic, feeling to the XBOX's graphics feels like it doesn't suit the Panzer Dragoon series at all. It's kind of a shame, because I like Orta, and a lot of the other character, but there just seems to be something missing from the package that was there in Zwei. Also, who the hell decided that extra convex face-buttons were a good idea? I do have to say that the ending theme for Orta is magnificent, though--Takahashi Yumiko, ftw.
Last edited by pierrot on Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Exhuminator wrote:
noiseredux wrote:It's a $10 game with a free 3 level demo.

I think bone would like Super Cat Bros.

$10 for 2 hours sounds kinda steep. :| Mario tax?

-

Super Cat Bros. is great, but it's not an auto-runner is why I didn't mention it.

I think it's more about the 11 hrs. The redoing things with harder challenges. Not for everyone of course. But it is a fun game. I have paid more for games that I got less than 2 hours of enjoyment out of unfortunately.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

pierrot wrote:I wasn't really intending to write much, but after jotting down the list, I feel a little like I have to.

Spoiler-ed 'cause there's lots of squiggles:

Prepare for lots of reply squiggles!

Mega Bomberman was the game I played the most for the Genesis, as a kid, after Sonic 2, and maybe Madden. I was hopelessly stuck on the crab boss in world 3, and remember my dad trying to help me at some point, saying that I should go back through the levels in world 3 to get the power ups. When I first saw that it had two phases, I was totally dejected.

I probably hadn't played the game since '97 or so. I didn't have much trouble with that crab boss, but wow did it get punishing by the end. I'm pretty surprised I actually finished it, considering how ridiculous the final area, and final bosses were. If kid-me had been sitting around watching adult-me play through this game, I'm sure he would have been pretty impressed with how much more "colorful" the obscenities that got thrown around were, and astonished by what some good, ol' fashioned, obstinance can accomplish.

That crab boss is one of the meaner ones, and I had issues with it when I was a kid too. However, I did discover passwords that would let me skip it. 8111 takes you to the volcano stage where you find a Louie egg (always hilarious that they localised it as Louie when it was clearly supposed to be Rooey, as in Kangaroo). 8112 we discovered would take you to a stage in the ocean world, and iirc, 8114 would take you to a stage in the castle, shortly after the crab boss. I did beat this legit about 5 years back, one of the last few childhood games I needed to beat (I still need to finish Super Tennis and Wing Commander 3 to truly be done with my childhood games though...). I actually found the game easy as long as you kept the line bomb power up from world 3. I only died once after that point, and I went back and got the powerr up again. You can very quickly create lines of 10 bombs using it to trap enemies, block their route, and destroy stages very quickly. Keeping hold of the pass through bombs/blocks power ups can get you out of trouble you get yourself in with it too.

Kirby games are always good. Dream Land is pretty short, but enjoyable. I 100%-ed 2, which was a bit of a chore, but I do like the animal buddies. Well, Coo, anyway. The secret final boss is a little ridiculous, though. I got the "good" ending in 3, which only gives 97% completion. Getting the other three percent involves some really dumb mini games in the options menu. I missed one of them by a single question. It's dumb. Moving on--.

I miss the animal buddies, but with Kirby's more advanced 'Superstar' movesets being more common now, I guess they don't have as much of a place anymore. Coo was clearly the best. I've 100%ed Dreamland 2, and that last boss was indeed a jerk. I've not done the same for 3 yet though!

Yoshi's Island was one of just a couple games I ever had for the SNES, growing up. I always enjoyed it, but never really got any farther than maybe into the second world. (There's a pattern here. I was not good at video games as a kid, nor was I especially patient.) In my mind, Yoshi's Island was always the one 2D Mario (aside from Mario Bros, I guess) that I could say I enjoyed. It's not really as good as I remember, but it is still good. I like the bosses, but there's still not much that really differentiates the stages, for me. This is kind of the issue I have with a lot of Nintendo platformers: It feels like they lack cohesion.

I really enjoyed Yoshi's Island when I played it back when, but I find it hard to go back to now to replay. Not sure what it is about it, but the slow pacing just fails to keep my interest as easily, even though I really like the game.

For that matter, DKC was one of the other SNES games I had as a kid, and I had probably only made it as far as world 3. I really don't care much for this game, even though I didn't mind too much as a kid. It's kind of fun to run around as Diddy, but every other level is in a cave, or set to some equally dark, uninteresting backdrop. Also, DK seriously sucks.

DKC 2 might be worse, though. I like both of the characters, but I just really hate a lot of the levels. Particularly where there are really annoying gimmicks, like the brambles. Most of worlds one and four are all right, and I like a couple of the early levels in world 5, but the rest is a hot mess--world 2.

For the record, I liked DKC 3 a lot, and completed it 100%.

I also prefer DKC3 to the other games in the series. I like it's slightly lighter tone, I like how different the characters feel, and I think the level design is the best in the series. However, I still enjoy the first 2 games. I'm not nearly as in love with the aesthetic of DKC2 as everyone else is, and I think of all the games it has the most bizarrely erratic difficulty balance. Diddy Kong also feels useless, as everything he does, Dixie does better. Kiddy and Donkey might be objectively worse than Dixie and Diddy in 3 and 1, but at least they feel like they have some advantages, particularly in their size and being able to deal with bigger enemies.

Clockwork Knight was WAY better than I thought it would be. It was actually--dare I say--really good. The controls might take a little bit of getting used to, though, as Tongara tends to slide a little. Overall, I thought there was some pretty crafty stage design, and I really liked the final boss.

I picked this up recently, sounds like I need to sit down and play through it. How long is it overall? Interesting that the character is called Tongara in the Japanese version - it's certainly easier to say than Pepperachou or whatever the English name for him is.

I decided to put in Panzer Dragoon the other day, though, and while I'd always struggled to get past the Episode 4 boss, I had very little trouble passing that, and beating the game (Although Episode 6 was tricky). I guess it just clicked at that point. So, that's a fun game with a really good soundtrack, but a pretty rough framerate, and pretty tricky gameplay, because of it. Zwei, though, is damn near perfect. Where the original is a bit tough, for the wrong reasons, Zwei has probably the perfect difficulty, with some really nice gameplay improvements: camera control, branching paths, dragon evolutions, etc. While it doesn't have the orchestral soundtrack of the first, I think Zwei's OST is better, and it perfectly fits with the stages. Zwei also runs really well, has some gorgeous set-pieces, and overall, very nice graphics for the time. I love Zwei. Uh-muh-guh, and that soundtrack!

I don't get the love for Zwei myself. I found it to be incredibly easy (I blasted through it the first time I ever played it) and really empty feeling compared to the first game, where you were constantly kept on your toes. The first game was very hard though, which required me to change how I held the controller. Hitting any of A,B or C would make you shoot, so by putting your fingers on all 3 and rapidly tapping them in succession would make you shoot super fast. I can't comment on the soundtracks as it's been some time since I played them both, but it's probably worth noting that I can remember a few tunes from Panzer 1, but nothing at all comes to mind for Zwei.

Orta is kind of-- I really don't know. It seems like it should be way better than Zwei, but I don't like it more. The stages just don't feel as exciting, or fun; I don't like the music quite as much; Switching dragon forms is kind of a chore. This is actually the first XBOX game I've ever beaten, and honestly, the sterile, plastic, feeling to the XBOX's graphics feels like it doesn't suit the Panzer Dragoon series at all. It's kind of a shame, because I like Orta, and a lot of the other character, but there just seems to be something missing from the package that was there in Zwei. Also, who the hell decided that extra convex face-buttons were a good idea? I do have to say that the ending theme for Orta is magnificent, though--Takahashi Yumiko, ftw.

I liked Orta, and considered it better than Zwei, but I agree with some of your points. My biggest obstacle for Orfta was playing it on XBox. I just HATE that controller. I found it hard getting used to utilising the boost and brake mechanic too.

That final theme is fantastic though.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote: Any other 2D titles that come remotely close to the quality of something like Super Mario Run?

Before Auto Runners were cool 8)

Its not really in the same vein, but it kicks ass nonetheless. You'll be sold as soon as the Stage 1 BGM kicks in.

The Bit Trip Runner games are fairly quality.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

noiseredux wrote:I think it's more about the 11 hrs. The redoing things with harder challenges. Not for everyone of course. But it is a fun game. I have paid more for games that I got less than 2 hours of enjoyment out of unfortunately.

Based on sales it seems 11 hours of redoing things with harder challenges didn't sit well with most players, as you said; not for everyone. Most people see this as a 1-2 hour game that costs $10, which is a premium price in smartphone land. Tatsumi Kimishima recently said that revenue from the game "did not meet our expectations". And yet Fire Emblem Heroes has made Nintendo a lot of money, using a totally different method of producing finance. But guess what? Nintendo thinks the SMR model is superior and plans to focus on that angle. That's because they believe putting Nintendo characters in free to play games devalues the worth of said Nintendo characters. So Nintendo would rather put Nintendo characters in premium priced mobile games that sell worse, as opposed to more profitable free to play ones which sell bonus features instead. I'll leave the legitimacy of that logic up to the reader, but here's my source: http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Compani ... -Mario-Run
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I don't disagree with anything you're saying. And I'm coming from the perspective of someone who has been playing Fire Emblem Heroes religiously since release. Maybe that's why I don't see this as a 2 hour game myself. Because you can beat the main campaign in Fire Emblem really quick too. But the allure to keep playing is high if you're into it. I can't even guess how many hours I've dumped into it.

Anyway, I'm just kind of rambling. Both Fire Emblem Heroes and Super Mario Run have been quality Android games published by Nintendo. I'm looking forward to their Animal Crossing Android game as well. I don't mind using my wallet to let them know that it's a good thing if they continue to publish games on non-Nintendo hardware. I'm having a good time playing said games.

EDIT: As to your last point... well, I've long said that Nintendo makes some of the most baffling business decisions of any video game publisher haha.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Don't get me wrong, I think Nintendo developing and publishing smartphone games is the best business decision they've made in a very long time. I'm hoping eventually they'll release something that will pique my personal interest. Whatever that's going to be wasn't Pokemon GO, Super Mario Run, or Fire Emblem Heroes... I've not felt the need to play any of those yet. And I'm not into Animal Crossing either (but I think it's a wise choice for mobile). Perhaps a new F-Zero or side scrolling Metroid would do the trick. A man can dream. :wink:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

If that model did not meet their expectations revenue-wise, but they're still sticking with it, I'd imagine we're done seeing $10 price points.

I didn't get every pink coin, could still go back to that myself. I've poured 10s of hours into the Rally mode to max out at 9,999 and unlock everything to purchase. They had a weekly thing where there were gold gombas put into the main game and you got stamps for smushing them - and the stamps were currency for big Goomba statues. That got a little play out of me also.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I MUCH prefer this one-time-pay model, but I agree that $10 was a bit steep. I paid it, and I don't regret it, but I think $5 is a much more appropriate price point.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

dunpeal2064 wrote:The Bit Trip Runner games are fairly quality.

Although I quickly tire of endless runners, I actually enjoy auto runners quite a bit. Both of the Bit.Trip Runner games are sublime, and Commander Video is one of my favorite video game characters. I also got a lot of mileage out of Cubit the Hardcore Platforming Robot, and the aforementioned Rayman Jungle Run and Rayman Fiesta Run are also very good. If you are looking for an extreme challenge, you should consider 2 Fast 4 Gnomz (a/k/a Geki Yabba Runner Deluxe).

While touch controls work well for auto runners, I do not think that they work particularly well for traditional 2D platformers. I have enjoyed a few, however, and if you are seeking a good traditional platformer that you can play on your phone or tablet, I recommend Bloo Kid, Manos The Hands of Fate, and (my personal favorite) Potatoman Seeks the TROOF!. I also really enjoyed Kero Blaster, but like Potatoman, you may be better served getting that game on Steam.