Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by laurenhiya21 »

Previously beaten:
1/15: Aviary Attorney (Steam)
1/16: Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star (Steam)
1/27: Sweet Fuse: At Your Side (PSP)
1/31: Harmonia (Steam)
2/21: Yakuza 0 (PS4)
2/28: Cooking Mama: Cook Off (Wii)
3/17: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
3/22: Kirby Super Star (SNES)
4/6: Nier Automata (PS4)

*NEW*
5/11: Persona 3 Portable (PSP)

Total: 10 games

Persona 3 is such weird game for me to look back on. It's one of those games where half the time I was having a good time, and the other time I was hating it and wished it would end already. Obviously I managed to beat it regardless of those bits I didn't like, but I don't think I would ever want to play it again either.

First off, let's talk about the gameplay. The majority of the game, you're either talking with people & progressing the story (which I'll talk about more below) or you're doing combat. The combat portion is a lot of run around in a dungeon, kill Shadows (the baddies), and continue doing that until you can't get any higher in the dungeon. In order to do well in the battles, you need to figure out the Shadow's weakness. Once you figure that out, if you use it against them, you get a free turn and the Shadow goes down. Do that to all the Shadows on screen, and you get the option for an "All Out Attack" which causes a lot of damage to them, usually killing them. The Shadows can also exploit your party's weakness which gets them a free turn, so the battles are a balance of knowing what weaknesses everyone has and trying to exploit the Shadows before they do the same to you. You can equip different Personas which change up what spells you can use and what weaknesses you have, but you do need to be careful of your other party members, as you can't change theirs at all. This is an interesting concept to me, but the problem is that it's suuuuper slow. Most of the Shadow's weaknesses involve using a certain elemental spell, but every time you cast a spell you need to sit through a long animation. Once I had a Persona that could cast all the different elemental spells, a lot of battles I won the first turn but it would take forever since I had to sit through all of these animations. That combined with the crazy amount of floors that you have to go though made the combat very tiring very fast. At least I didn't need to grind much (as I was playing on Easy) but I still just wanted to skip it and go back to the story bits.

And speaking of story, in Persona 3, at midnight a big tower appears with Shadows in them. During that time, everyone other than Persona users sleep in these coffins and are unaware of all this happening. Your job is to go into the tower with your band of friends, defeat the Shadows, and find a way to get rid of the tower. At first I thought this sounded interesting, but it really doesn't develop too much more than that. At least, not in a way that interested me. You learn about people who want to stop you and where the tower came from in the first time, but most of the time it's going into the tower until you reach a block and then not much usually happens until the next section opens up. At least the characters were mostly interesting (big exception being Junpei who is annoying but also has a lot of screen time ugh), and honestly that was probably the biggest reason why I stuck through the game. I often looked forward to when I could raise some Social Links (kind of link side stories for the characters), so if that wasn't there I think I would of dropped this long ago. That being said, I couldn't help thinking the whole time that Persona 4 had better characters and story. I guess that's good that Atlus was able to improve on that, but it didn't help while playing Persona 3.

Another aspect of the game is being able to capture Personas and combining them into better ones... but honestly there's not a whole lot I can say about it. It's interesting, but I never understood how to combine them very well and get certain skills on certain Personas (like the game wants you to do for certain side quests). Plus for a large portion of the game I was able to stick with one persona (who had no weaknesses), and I just stuck a bunch of good spells on him and nearly maxed his stats so he was better than any Persona I could make anyway.

So uh... As I'm typing this up, it almost sounds like I hated the game :lol: I think I probably would of liked this game more if I hadn't played Persona 4. They have the same combat system, but Persona 4 had a much more interesting story and it felt like it dished out a story nugget more frequently than Persona 3. So it's not like I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, but you definitely want to make sure that you're fine with a ton of combat.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

laurenhiya21 wrote:I was playing on Easy

:?

Nah, I can't really blame you with Persona 3. The incessant character dialogues and social linking seemed to be the point of P3 (in stark contrast to SMT3). Congrats on sticking through to the end, you had more patience then I did with this one.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

In my old age I've come to be ok with changing difficulty in single player games if that's what makes it fun. I have nothing to prove to anyone. I play games to unwind and have fun. So I get that.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

noiseredux wrote:In my old age I've come to be ok with changing difficulty in single player games if that's what makes it fun. I have nothing to prove to anyone. I play games to unwind and have fun. So I get that.

Sure, that's understandable. We all play games for different reasons, seeking different avenues of enjoyment. So if you enjoy playing games on easy, that's your choice, have fun! Conversely, for some gamers overcoming difficult challenges is unwinding in and of itself. (Please understand I was only teasing laurenhiya21 with the emoticon above.)
I don't want to derail this thread like I did with the unpopular opinions thread about this topic, as there are a lot of strong opinions about it. But I'm considering making a dedicated thread to discuss gaming difficulty in an intellectual and (hopefully) dispassionate manner.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

Haha, when I played Persona 4 I stuck with Easy and that was a fine enough level for me, so that's why I stuck with Easy with Persona 3. Playing any higher difficulty would just be less enjoyable for me and take more time to beat. 54 hours was long enough haha.

And no worries, Exhum. I knew you were teasing :P
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Segata wrote:Just finished Mushihime-sama Futari Ver 1.5
Last night finished Espgaluda II: Black Label.

Working on extra modes now. I hear Mush has an insane ultra mode as I posted in Guess the game topic. No I will not do well..not even remotely but I want to try it for kicks.

If you are credit-feeding, you will do just fine in Ultra, since its impossible to lose.

If these are 1ccs, then that is damn impressive. Either way, glad to see these games getting some love, hope you enjoyed them.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

dunpeal2064 wrote:
Segata wrote:Just finished Mushihime-sama Futari Ver 1.5
Last night finished Espgaluda II: Black Label.

Working on extra modes now. I hear Mush has an insane ultra mode as I posted in Guess the game topic. No I will not do well..not even remotely but I want to try it for kicks.

If you are credit-feeding, you will do just fine in Ultra, since its impossible to lose.

If these are 1ccs, then that is damn impressive. Either way, glad to see these games getting some love, hope you enjoyed them.

Loved them. I'm not great at them. I just see how long I can survive in a cave game. I do play on normal and above. I am getting better tho. I do have a couple 1cc to my name but not in a cave game. Not yet anyway. Someday. Mush I enjoyed the most. Still need to get a Dono game. Loved Akai Katana. Deathsmiles is alright. Guwange is..eh it's ok. Esp II is darn good. Mush might be the best playing one of the ones I played for me. Akai has the best OST.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Good stuff! :)

Definitely keep at it, Cave games can be intimidating to 1cc, but you'll be surprised how fast you improve. Mushihimesama Futari is my favorite as well, I've had it for about 4 years, and still spent about 4 hours playing it yesterday.

Dodonpachi Resurrection (360, PAL) was fairly cheap last I checked, and works on a US-region console, in case you wanted to get into that series.

We have scoreboards on here for each game too, in case you find yourself still playing them and wanting to post about em somewhere.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

@laurenhiya21

Awww, it's a bit sad to hear that about P3. An unengaging main story and overly time consuming battles were exactly why I hated Skies of Arcadia, so it doesn't look like P3P was a very worthwhile purchase for me Xp . Add in that I also find the social link system very awkward from a narrative perspective and I just don't think this series is for me :?
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

noiseredux wrote:In my old age I've come to be ok with changing difficulty in single player games if that's what makes it fun. I have nothing to prove to anyone. I play games to unwind and have fun. So I get that.

Yeah this is where I'm at.

"Rules" are for sanctioned competitions, which I take no part in. I'm a 34-year-old dad who plays video games in his underwear for an hour or two each night once the kids are in bed. Sorry about the visual.