Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by Sarge »

Great writeup, maru.

I can definitely relate vis-à-vis SRPGs. They appeal to me, but in practice, I rarely finish them. The Shining Force and Arc the Lad games are notable exceptions, though. Fire Emblem sees me play a little too obsessively to have finished one. But Heroes is a nice bite-sized, manageable chunk of SRPG play. I'm still surprised it made the transition to the IAP model so well.

Seriously, though, if you want a good SRPG, I recommend Shining Force II in particular. I think the Genesis games are superior to Shining Force III.
Last edited by Sarge on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Yeah I was wondering how Heroes would pan out, but it looks like Nintendo identified a niche and filled correctly. That is to say; creating an FE-lite catered to those who find normal FE too prolonged or daunting. Smart move!
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

It also has me interested in picking up Fates/Conquest, so... yeah, good job, Ninty.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

I still think that it would be preferable if getting/leveling additional characters were simpler and not as tied to chance. More or less because you do get to the point where being able to adjust your roster to suit a challenge would be preferable, but may not be something you have on hand.

I did finally get a five-star character, albeit one that is somewhat redundant with a couple of my 4 star (got Lucina, when I have 4-star Chrom and Marth).

I think the main thing with higher star rated characters is that they get access to more/higher tier Skills.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Sarge wrote:Great writeup, maru.

Thank goodness someone thinks so. I know it's a bit long and no pictures or graphics to break it up, but I wanted to make sure to explain enough of it that someone with no experience with the title could get a good idea of whether or not it might be worth trying.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
marurun

Post by marurun »

isiolia wrote:II think the main thing with higher star rated characters is that they get access to more/higher tier Skills.

It isn't just that. Their stats tend to also be significantly higher over time.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Yeah, if you pull a 5-star, you'll want to replace your 4-star. Seriously, the difference between my 4-star Tiki and 5-star is ridiculous. Huge stat differences, a much more powerful default attack, it's just worth it all around to grind them up even if you've put a lot of time into the same 4-star.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I'VE SUMMONED 30 CHARACTERS, AND NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THEM HAS BEEN FIVE STARS.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I'VE SUMMONED 30 CHARACTERS, AND NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THEM HAS BEEN FIVE STARS.

3% chance.

I have 2 and 12 4 stars. One of them is gonna get the 5 star treatment soon.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I'm hoping to upgrade one of mine, too, but I need the right Badges. And lots more feathers. Hoping the weekly log-in bonus gives me another 10,000 feathers.