Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by Xeogred »

Also yeah the Dragon Spirit games rule. Not sure which ones I've played or if I've even beaten one, but they are cool. The composer for the original game did the BGM in Xenosaga 2. I know you guys were wanting that kind of info so there you go!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinji_Hosoe
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Xeogred wrote:POWER UP

I grew up on Genesis Altered Beast. I'll have to check out the SMS version sometime.

Never knew Double Dragon on SMS was a thing. It's still very weird to me Battletoads 1-2 are on the Genesis too. Though I have noticed that those versions are a little easier.

I wish they made maybe like one more Sonic the Hedgehog on the SMS. Those two games are incredibly cool. Nobody seems to really know about them or talk about them. Kind of like Mega Man Xtreme 1-2.

There is 1 more Sonic the Hedgehog on SMS - Sonic Chaos. If you've never played it though, don't get your hopes too high- it's ok, but nothing special. Sonic 1 is still the best by far
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

1. Runbow - Wii U
2. Battlefield 1 - Xbox One
3. Until Dawn - PS4
4. Super Mario Sunshine - Gamecube
5. Titanfall 2 - Xbox One
6. Wario Ware, Inc: Mega Party Game$ - Gamecube
7. Pikmin 2 - Gamecube
8. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Wii U
9. Dawn of War 2 - PC

Been a while since I posted. But I just finished the base game and am probably 75% of the way through Chaos Rising. I really enjoy this game. It's been wonderful and easy to pick up. Inspired me to go back through and paint some of my miniatures that I have been putting off. Really haven't had much time to play games lately, with the odd game of Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch, and Dawn of War holding me over until I get a little more free time on my hands.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Don't know if this counts but I beat Chapter 1 of Bendy and the Ink Machine. Learned about it after watching Markiplier playing it. It runs like shit on my laptop. I had the graphics set as low as I could set them and set the resolution to 1280x720, because I still wanted it in widescreen. But the current Steam version (and possibly the latest GameJolt release) added controller support.

It was good, despite my PC lagging its ass off. Really hope it gets released on other systems. I know a Vita release is unlikely but I'm still hoping, because I don't know if my tablet would run an Android port, either.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2017 So Far - 37

January (10 Games Beaten)
1. Persona 4 Arena - Playstation 3 - January 1
2. Chrono Trigger - SNES - January 7
3. Ys: The Vanished Omens - Master System - January 8
4. MUSHA - Genesis - January 10
5. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below - PlayStation 4 - January 11
6. Ys I - TurboGrafx-CD - January 13
7. Ys II - TurboGrafx-CD - January 14
8. Dragon Quest Builders - PlayStation 4 - January 23
9. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. School Girl/Zombie Hunter - PlayStation 4 - January 29

February (12 Games Beaten)
11. Fire Emblem Heroes - Android - February 3
12. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - Wii U - February 5
13. Dante's Inferno - PlayStation 3 - February 7
14. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - DS - February 11
15. Persona 4: Dancing All Night - Vita - February 12
16. Sniper Elite 4 - PlayStation 4 - February 17
17. Pony Quest - NES - February 19
18. Halo Wars 2 - Xbox One - February 22
19. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - PlayStation Portable - February 24
20. Hotline Miami - PlayStation 4 - February 26
21. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - Famicom - February 27
22. Bad Dudes - NES - February 28

March (6 Games Beaten)
23. Root Letter - PlayStation 4 - March 2
24. Vroom in the Night Sky - Switch - March 10
25. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch - March 17
26. Super Bomberman R - Switch - March 18
27. Super Mario Run - Android - March 24
28. I Am Setsuna - Switch - March 24

April (9 Games Beaten)
29. Mass Effect: Andromeda - PlayStation 4 - April 1
30. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army - PlayStation 4 - April 2
31. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2 - PlayStation 4 - April 2
32. New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers - Switch - April 3
33. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 3 - PlayStation 4 - April 4
34. Persona 5 - PlayStation 4 - April 17
35. Alienation - PlayStation 4 - April 18
36. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - PlayStation 4 - April 23
37. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - PlayStation 4 - April 29

May (1 Game Beaten)
38. Puyo Puyo Tetris - Switch - May 4

38. Puyo Puyo Tetris - Switch - May 4

I'm a passionate Tetris fan. Let's get that established first and foremost. Of all the games I downloaded on my 3DS, my favorite honestly is probably the Game Boy Tetris from the Virtual Console. My favorite multiplayer NES game is Tengen Tetris. My favorite time-wasting browser game site is Tetris Friends. I LOVE Tetris. As for Puyo Puyo, I don't have a whole lot of experience with it. The only game that I own - and naturally the one with which I have the most experience - is Puyo Pop on my Neo Geo Pocket Color. Tetris alone was enough to sell me on this, but the crossover with Puyo Puyo added an interesting element that intrigued me.

Puyo Puyo Tetris offers a variety of ways to play. You've obviously got your local multiplayer - that's my favorite way to play Tetris. There's also an online multiplayer option if you want to embarrass some kids in another country. What I've spent the most time on, however, is the Adventure mode. It's your typical single player experience. Being a puzzle game, it's a stupid, nonsensical story, but the super cute art style for the characters makes it an enjoyable enough experience. Those characters are exactly why I kept playing through all 100 levels; I wanted to unlock all of the characters for use in multiplayer. It doesn't matter, really - your character doesn't give you any kind of bonus or advantage - but it's a neat little cosmetic thing that I felt compelled to collect.

In addition to characters, you get coins for clearing levels. These coins can be used to buy different art styles for your Puyos and Tetriminos as well as new voice packs for the characters. They don't really change the game in any major way, but they add a neat little bit of customization for the aesthetics. It just gives a nice little extra to reward you for playing the game.

I've not messed around with the online multiplayer too too much just yet, but what little I've played worked very well. It didn't take long to find a game, and I didn't experience any lag or connection drops. I have played a decent amount of the local multiplayer, and it's absolutely fantastic. It works well, it's very responsive, and it's an enormous amount of fun.

In terms of game modes, you've got a wide array offered to you here. Obviously you've got your standard Tetris and standard Puyo Puyo, but you've also got a few variations. Swap has you playing both Tetris and Puyo Puyo with the boards switching every 30 seconds or so. The most hectic is fusion; you have Puyos and Tetriminos falling at the same time. To clear a space, you either have to connect four Puyos or a line of Tetriminos; a line filled with a mix of Tetriminos and Puyos won't clear it. It's definitely the hardest game mode, but the challenge also makes it the most rewarding.

Puyo Puyo Tetris is one of the greatest puzzle games released in recent years, at least in my opinion. It's casual enough to allow for good pick-up-and-play gameplay for short bursts but addicting enough to eat up hours with ease. While the Japanese (and importers) have an array of platform options, Americans will need either a Switch or a Playstation 4. Personally, given the portability of the Switch, I think that's the better platform choice since Tetris is great for killing time in a waiting room or on a metro, but however you play it, you need to play this game.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

1. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
2. Gyromite (NES)
3. Lucy -The Eternity She Wished For- (Steam)
4. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (Famicom)
5. Radical Dreamers (SNES)
6. Video Games 1 (TI-99/4A)
7. Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken (Famicom)
8. Exile (TurboGrafx CD)
9. Exile: Wicked Phenomenon (TurboGrafx CD)
10. Xak (PC Engine CD, Xak I・II)
11. Xak II (PC Engine CD, Xak I・II)
12. Neutopia (TurboGrafx-16)
13. Captain Silver (Sega Master System)
14. Märchen Veil (Famicom Disk System)
15. Vanguard (Atari 2600)
16. Kangaroo (Atari 2600)
17. Front Line (Atari 2600)
18. Mario Bros. (Atari 2600)
19. Harmonia (Steam)
20. Donkey Kong (Atari 2600)
21. Jungle Hunt (Atari 2600)
22. Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes (TurboGrafx CD)
23. Gorf (Atari 2600)
24. Neutopia II (TurboGrafx-16)
25. Dungeon Magic (PlayStation 2, Taito Legends 2)
26. The Lost Vikings (SNES)
27. Blue's Journey (Wii Virtual Console)
28. Wizard Fire (Wii, Data East Arcade Classics)
29. Super Mario Run (Android)
30. Dragon Warrior II (NES)
31. Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure (GOG.com)
32. Witch & Hero (Nintendo eShop)
33. Phoenix (Atari 2600)
34. Emerald Dragon (Super Famicom)
35. Sky Skipper (Atari 2600)
36. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)

101% completion. 2 hours, 33 minutes. I'm a bit rusty.

I've played this a gazillion times before. Thought it would be fun to do a quick run-through before I hit up the sequel for the Summer Games Challenge.
I have a bit of personal history with this game/series. I cut my teeth on the original Donkey Kong trilogy (I would say quadrilogy but I have yet to experience the wonders of Donkey Kong Jr. Math!). But then as I got older I drifted away from arcadey stuff to more complex platformers, adventure games, and RPGs. I figured I had seen the last of Donkey Kong until Nintendo Power sent a VHS tape to my doorstep hyping this game. It looked scroggingly good, and I picked it up as close to launch as humanly possible.
So, yeah, this is one of the best platformers ever. It's brilliantly constructed, and controls as smooth as silk. There are some clear Super Mario World undertones here, with the same sort of alternating overworld map/level sections, limited save points, and tucked-away secrets for full completion. "Computer-generated graphics" is a dubious proposition, but Rare was smart enough to eschew a rudimentary sort of full 3D in favor of incredibly textured and nuanced 2D graphics. The environments are absolutely stunning, alternating between slick and shiny (forests, water) and dark and grungy (factories, caves). The accompanying music, mostly composed by David Wise, is extremely memorable. There are all sorts of styles represented here: the slow ambient piece played underwater, the jazzy bass-heavy themes of the forests, the driving dark industrial of the factories, and much more.
Even the writing is good, peppered with plenty of humor. The "kredits" is the best video game fake-out ever.

Negatives? I'm not crazy about the bonus levels. There's too many of 'em and they break up the natural flow of the stages. And the bosses are rubbish, basically just large versions of normal enemies (final boss notwithstanding). This is all petty poop though. Donkey Kong Country is one of the top three platformers ever, ranked alongside the unstoppable Mario 3 / World duo. I'm looking forward to the sequel. Just hope there aren't too many collectathon elements. Eek.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Are you allowed to play games that new, bone?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Yes. But I'll have to play something from 1980 immediately after to return balance to the cosmos.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Have you never played the sequels? Most seem to like DKC2 the most, but I prefer the first DKC since it has the coolest levels and atmosphere to me. That world just feels so alive and massive. Only a few 16bit games have that density, kind of like Super Metroid. The cool thing about DKC2 though is that it picks up right after the first in terms of difficulty at the end of DKC1, so DKC2 is a lot harder. The collectathon elements aren't bad at all and now the bonus stages are interesting. But, I despise how the lost world area was setup here. You can only access one level per world after you get enough DK coins (15 I think?). It's just kind of silly how it was formatted. Anyways, I probably haven't 100%'d DKC2 or DKC3 since I was a kid. The collectibles don't get in the way at all, but you would probably have to go out of your way a bit if you want to 100% these. This is another thing I like about the original, the simplicity is something to appreciate about it.

1. Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour (PC)
2. Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter* (PC)
3. Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter (PC)
4. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (PC)
5. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (PC)
6. Deadcore (PC)
7. Yakuza 4 (PS3)
8. Hyper Light Drifter (PC)
9. Doom 2: Valiant (PC)
10. Resident Evil 7 (PS4)
10. Doom 2: Ancient Aliens (PC)
11. Doom 2: Vanguard (PC)
12. Doom 2: Doom 2 The Way id Did (PC)
13. Doom 2: Community Chest Pack 4 (PC)
14. Doom: Doom The Way id Did (PC)
15. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 (PC)
16. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 (PC)
17. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (WiiU)
18. Dishonored 2 (PC)
19. Kirby's Dream Land (GB)
20. Kirby's Dream Land 2 (GB)
21. Super Mario Land (GB)
22. Super Mario Land 2 (GB)
23. Mighty Final Fight (NES)
24. Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES)
25. Trip World (GB)
26. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (Genesis)
27. Aladdin (Genesis)
28. Streets of Rage (SMS)
29. Bare Knuckle (Genesis)
30. Bare Knuckle 2* (Genesis)

* replay

Like I said last night... had to replay the sequels. 8)

I don't know if it's KEGA emulating things well or my crappy Logitech speakers having some magical effect with Genesis games, but the sound quality is absolutely amazing for some reason. My whole room was bumpin' with SoR2 here.

This game is basically perfect. I don't know if the Japanese version has some music changes or differences though? Some stuff sounded new, but it's maybe been forever since I've done a full run of this one.

SoR2 might be my favorite. But SoR3 is to SoR2 like what Seiken Densetsu 3 is to Secret of Mana... the gameplay levels up and is perfected. The advanced complexity to SoR3's gameplay is absolutely incredible. Unique running attacks with weapons, being able to run in general, and everything about its combat is sublime. Just like SD3. It's basically perfection for its genre. But damn do I love SoR2. I'll continue on and hit up the Japanese Bare Knuckle 3, since it's the time that matters most.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Put me in the DKC is better camp, too.