Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by noiseredux »

lol. He was joking, man.

Michi knocked it out of the park though.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

noiseredux wrote:lol. He was joking, man.

Michi knocked it out of the park though.

Agreed! I got a good belly laugh out of that one X3
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I registered under a different name for some reason, I bet nobody could guess it (except Ack who I think changed it).

Exhuminator wrote:
Ack wrote:Also, just figured I'd point out that this is a weird derailment of this thread. I suppose I should expect things like this, but still...kinda odd.

It's a side effect of not enough interesting new threads lately.

More like people need to stop slacking and beat some games!

I thought there's been an influx of lots of topics lately.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Xeogred wrote:More like people need to stop slacking and beat some games!

Technically, I have. It's just that I played DeS, DS1x2, and DS3 over again...which I didn't feel warranted posting :lol:
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

That kind of makes me wonder, if you guys consider beating DLC as a solid single entry? I was going to count the two Dark Souls 3 DLC's as my next single entry. Looks like even How Long to Beat has DLC stuff listed separately which is kind of cool.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Xeogred wrote:I registered under a different name for some reason, I bet nobody could guess it (except Ack who I think changed it).

Ryvius, as I recall.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Xeogred wrote:That kind of makes me wonder, if you guys consider beating DLC as a solid single entry? I was going to count the two Dark Souls 3 DLC's as my next single entry. Looks like even How Long to Beat has DLC stuff listed separately which is kind of cool.

I'd say split it up however makes sense to you.

Personally, I've tended to count DLC if I'm going back just to play that (or in the case of DS1/BB/DS3, replayed the game and then the DLC :lol: ) but not usually if I'm playing a version of the game that already rolls it all in.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Xeogred wrote:That kind of makes me wonder, if you guys consider beating DLC as a solid single entry? I was going to count the two Dark Souls 3 DLC's as my next single entry. Looks like even How Long to Beat has DLC stuff listed separately which is kind of cool.

It's up to you. I personally do it when it tends to be something standalone with enough meat on it. But, for example, the extra mission in DX:HR that's inserted into the main gameplay where you start off with losing your augs? That one I don't count because it's been fully integrated into the main gameplay.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

CFFJR wrote:
Xeogred wrote:I registered under a different name for some reason, I bet nobody could guess it (except Ack who I think changed it).

Ryvius, as I recall.

Dang! :lol:

isiolia wrote:

I'd say split it up however makes sense to you.

Personally, I've tended to count DLC if I'm going back just to play that (or in the case of DS1/BB/DS3, replayed the game and then the DLC :lol: ) but not usually if I'm playing a version of the game that already rolls it all in.

That's what I was thinking too. If I were playing Dark Souls 3 in full the first time around right now I'd just count it as one, kind of like I did with Dark Souls 2. But yeah now that I'm just playing 3's DLC, I'll count that since it's a separate playthrough. lol
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2017 So Far - 49
* denotes a replay

January (10 Games Beaten)
1. Persona 4 Arena - Playstation 3 - January 1
2. Chrono Trigger - SNES - January 7
3. Ys: The Vanished Omens - Master System - January 8
4. MUSHA - Genesis - January 10
5. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below - PlayStation 4 - January 11
6. Ys I - TurboGrafx-CD - January 13
7. Ys II - TurboGrafx-CD - January 14
8. Dragon Quest Builders - PlayStation 4 - January 23
9. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. School Girl/Zombie Hunter - PlayStation 4 - January 29

February (12 Games Beaten)
11. Fire Emblem Heroes - Android - February 3
12. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - Wii U - February 5
13. Dante's Inferno - PlayStation 3 - February 7
14. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - DS - February 11
15. Persona 4: Dancing All Night - Vita - February 12
16. Sniper Elite 4 - PlayStation 4 - February 17
17. Pony Quest - NES - February 19
18. Halo Wars 2 - Xbox One - February 22
19. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - PlayStation Portable - February 24
20. Hotline Miami - PlayStation 4 - February 26
21. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - Famicom - February 27
22. Bad Dudes - NES - February 28

March (6 Games Beaten)
23. Root Letter - PlayStation 4 - March 2
24. Vroom in the Night Sky - Switch - March 10
25. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch - March 17
26. Super Bomberman R - Switch - March 18
27. Super Mario Run - Android - March 24
28. I Am Setsuna - Switch - March 24

April (9 Games Beaten)
29. Mass Effect: Andromeda - PlayStation 4 - April 1
30. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army - PlayStation 4 - April 2
31. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2 - PlayStation 4 - April 2
32. New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers - Switch - April 3
33. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 3 - PlayStation 4 - April 4
34. Persona 5 - PlayStation 4 - April 17
35. Alienation - PlayStation 4 - April 18
36. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - PlayStation 4 - April 23
37. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - PlayStation 4 - April 29

May (12 Games Beaten)
38. Puyo Puyo Tetris - Switch - May 4
39. Fire Emblem Gaiden - Famicom - May 6
40. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Switch - May 6
41. Outlast II - PlayStation 4 - May 7
42. Dishonored - PlayStation 4 - May 10
43. Snipperclips: Cut it Out, Together! - Switch - May 12
44. Pikmin - Gamecube - May 12
45. Metal Slug - Neo Geo MVS - May 13*
46. Dariusburst CS: Chronicle Savior - PlayStation 4 - May 14
47. Batman: The TellTale Series - PlayStation 4 - May 17
48. Batman: Arkham VR - PlayStation 4 - May 18
49. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - 3DS - May 25

49. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - 3DS - May 25

This, ladies and gentlemen, is how a proper remake is done. This right here. I've played a lot of games in my time, and I've played my fair share of remakes and reboots, and not once have I ever seen a game remake turn out as perfect as this one. I'm going on record here - Fire Emblem Echoes is a perfect remake of Fire Emblem Gaiden in virtually every way.

If you're familiar with Fire Emblem Gaiden or have read my review of that game, then you should be familiar enough with the story, but I'll sum it up quickly anyway. Alm grew up in the tiny Ram Village with his grandfather, Mycen, and, for a time, a childhood friend named Celica. He was shooting some B-ball out in the woods when a couple of knights who were up to no good started making trouble in his village. He and his friends got into one little fight, and his gramps got scared and said "Celica's moving in with some priestesses on this remote island in the middle of nowhere for reason I can't tell you because plot device." I won't go into more detail than that so as not to spoil anything, but I will say that the complaints I had about the story in Gaiden have been COMPLETELY fixed in Echoes. The story is told in a much more organic manner with significantly more character development, resulting in a game that tells the same story but in a way that had me hooked and invested immediately as opposed to mildly interested but mostly apathetic at the end as was the case with Gaiden.

When I said that Echoes was the perfect remake of Gaiden, I meant it. This isn't a reboot style game like Tomb Raider (not that Fire Emblem needs rebooting) or a reimagining like the recent Ratchet and Clank but a true remake. Almost everything was kept intact. The world maps looks exactly the same, each battle map is virtually identical to its Famicom counterpart, and the game's major turning point battles still play out the same way. Also like the original game is the lack of weapon triangle, class up "trees" that can be triggered (or not) whenever you want after reaching a certain level rather than a single upgrade done either at level 21 or with the use of an item, and relatively non-linear gameplay on the world map with side missions and the ability to go back and forth as you please. There were only two big changes, both of them positive in my opinion - dungeons have been fleshed out to be more than two screens before the end (they're entire legit dungeons now), and the last dungeon has completely redone. That latter point is extremely significant in my opinion because, while interesting, the last dungeon in the original Gaiden is so frustrating difficult that it stopped being fun and was just irksome.

Another addition that I absolutely loved is the weapon customization. You gather silver and gold coins throughout the game, and these can be used at blacksmiths to upgrade your weapons. You also have the option of naming your weapon. At first I did my usual thing of giving them obscene and offensive names, then I went to offensive and occult names in Latin, and then I ran out of ideas and just started naming weapons after students. I mean, I had like 30 of them; my creativity only goes so far. While it can be a pain to try to collect enough money (even if you take the bitch way out like I did and use the "farm money" DLC), it's definitely worth it in the long run because not only can you (eventually) upgrade a shitty weapon type all the way up to a badass one, but upgrading a weapon within its type (steel, silver, etc) dramatically boosts its stats. We're talking a jump of attack power 3 to attack power 8.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia is an exemplar for what a remake should be. They keep almost everything from the original game, modernize the look and feel, and add a few neat extras here and there, but they do all of this in such a way that it still feels like the same game you played on Famicom. There is some post game stuff one can do after finishing Act 5, but I'm still poking around through that, so I won't speak on it too much except to say that you can revisit DLC or random Terror battles as much as you want. ​​I'm not quite prepared to say that Echoes is the best Fire Emblem of the entire series - that title still goes to Awakening for me, I think - but it's DAMN good. If you're a fan of SRPGs at all, you owe it to yourself to pick up Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. It's truly a masterpiece.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.