Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Juan Aguacate
24-bit

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by Juan Aguacate »

marurun wrote:Classic belt-scrollers were cheap as hell to steal your quarters. Modern games don't have to steal your quarters. No excuse for cheap, save that it's harder to design than legit skill-hard.

You wanna talk about cheap? I just tried Rita's Tower. Do you wanna know what the cause of all your deaths will be? Putties. That's right, putties, the canon fodder of the Power Rangers universe. They'll constantly gang up you, grab you (something I've never seen them do in story mode by the way), harass you while you try to fight other enemies, spam projectiles at you, hit you with rush attacks that can hit you no matter where you are on the screen and often aren't even telegraphed, and just generally fucking piss you off. Oh and they can take a lot of hits too, even from a fully leveled ranger.

Note to the developers, when the most obnoxious enemy in your power rangers game are fucking putties, you have failed. Your power ranger game sucks. I'm officially giving Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Mega Battle a big thumbs down and I hope nobody buys it.

Oh and if the putties alone don't piss you off, fighting them alongside those cheap flying creatures that CONSTANTLY keep grabbing your head forcing you to button mash to shake them off will make you throw a controller through your TV

I...HATE...CHEAP....GAMES. And this game is REALLY cheap.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

3. Yoshi's Island DS | DS | Platformer | 2006 | 5.45hrs | 4/10

In 2006, Nintendo released Yoshi's Island DS for their Nintendo DS system. Like quite a few of their other primary IP platformers on the DS, Nintendo opted to contract third party developers to produce it. The studio in question this time was Artoon. Why Nintendo chose Artoon to produce a sequel to the best platformer Nintendo ever made, is a very vexing question indeed. Perhaps Artoon was the lowest bidder, I don't know. And for the longest time, I thought Yoshi's Island DS was just a port of the SNES Yoshi's Island to DS. Looking at the initial screenshots one could forgive my assumption. But no, this is no port. But I hesitate to say Yoshi's Island DS deserves the title "sequel". This is more like a ROM hack designed by a sixteen year old to troll fans of the original game.

ImageImage

Apparently while producing Yoshi's Island DS, Artoon decided on a simple formula; ape the original game's graphics, add some new babies into the mix, and amp the difficulty through the stratosphere. The new babies (Peach, Donkey Kong, Wario, and Baby Bowser) have their own special abilities allowing Yoshi to do new things. New things like ride on wind, climb up vines, or shoot fire, for example. Of course you won't know which baby you need to get past a level, until you die because you didn't pick the right baby the first time. But it's all window dressing really, because Artoon only cared about one thing while making this game; actively hating the player.

ImageImage

There are five worlds in Yoshi's Island DS. The first three are of reasonable difficulty. But when you hit the fourth world, the difficulty curve massively inclines. Should you make it to the fifth world, you're in for a torture fest the likes of which I've never seen in a Nintendo published platformer (aside from maybe SMB2 Japan). And folks, I've beaten very many Nintendo published platformers. The late game stages become so spike infested, you could swear Artoon handed level development off to Inti Creates. It's truly ridiculous! Also extremely disingenuous design compared to the original (well balanced) Yoshi's Island. Another issue is the levels are generally far too long for a portable game. And the camera, yes the camera, is junk. How do you screw up a camera in a 2D game? Play through the entirety of Yoshi's Island DS and you'll find out. (It has to do with a too wide dead zone between the dual screens, and bad player tracking.)

To say something positive... the graphics are okay, albeit completely ripped from the original game in aesthetic direction. The music isn't wonderful, but it doesn't overtly annoy. There's a fairly involved story told through cutscenes... about babies and storks if you care. The controls work fine I guess. And that's about it. I really tried to like Yoshi's Island DS, but in the end it's a sadism orgy by a developer who clearly didn't understand the magic of the original Yoshi's Island. This charmless soulless "sequel" sucks. I only forced myself to beat it out of spite (or self loathing?). All I can say in closing, is that there's a reason Yoshi is pointing his ass towards you on the cover art.

As to this game's difficulty, I'll defer you to a broader base of opinions than just my own:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=420705
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Looks....... interesting. I honestly didn't even know that this game existed. I have the 3DS Yoshi game but haven't played it and have no idea what it even is.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I still would like a copy of this, but it didn't really do much for me when I played it years ago.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Exhuminator wrote:Should you make it to the fifth world, you're in for a torture fest the likes of which I've never seen in a Nintendo published platformer (aside from maybe SMB2 Japan). And folks, I've beaten very many Nintendo published platformers. The late game stages become so spike infested, you could swear Artoon handed level development off to Inti Creates. It's truly ridiculous!

That description makes me want to go back to it, but...

Sarge wrote:...it didn't really do much for me when I played it years ago.

This was also my experience with the game. It wasn't so much that it was hard, it was just so boring and tedious.

BTW, I am playing Yoshi's Wooly World with my daughter right now, and that game is so, so good. I was playing it by myself with my children watching and providing direction, but my seven-year-old daughter decided that she wanted to play the game too. Having a second player - and especially a second player with almost no 2D platforming experience (much less experience with a 2D platformers as complex as a Yoshi's Island game) - changes the experience entirely. The game is excellent in 1P mode, and it is just as good, if not better, in 2P mode. The ways you can interact with the other player (i.e., swallowing them, turning them into an egg, firing them across the screen, jumping off their heads, etc.) changes the approach to each level entirely, and while two skilled players could absolutely crush the game, two players with varying skill levels makes for a completely insane, manic experience. The genius of the game's design is truly staggering, and I cannot recommend it highly enough.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Yeah, Woolly World is the best one they've put out since the original. I should get back to that at some point!
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Sarge wrote:...it didn't really do much for me when I played it years ago.

This was also my experience with the game. It wasn't so much that it was hard, it was just so boring and tedious.

That's about what I remember from it. I wouldn't call my memories with it "boring and[/or] tedious," but it was just not nearly as good as the original. I played through all the other ones (sans Yoshi's Story) last year to compare them, but I neglected to go back to this one! I'll definitely have to go back through it now :D

My opinion of Yoshi's New Island, shortened: Where the original (and to a similar but not quite as much extent Woolly World) feel like they made the entire game, and then added collectibles (flowers and the like) as an afterthought, YNI feels much more like they designed it around the concept of levels where the explicit purpose is to collect all the things. There are SO many side areas to collect the things (not to mention annoying Yoshi-location-focused triggers to make coins appear) that it's very clear they expected you to go for them. If you totally ignore collecting the things, that game is much shorter. Granted, I still enjoyed it (I like trying to collect all the things, but it doesn't make or break a game for me if I can't), but it's definitely not as good as the original.

I could swear that I own the DS one, but it's not with my DS stuff. I'm beginning to think that I lent it to my sister ages ago, which would explain why I've seen it at her place and neither of us could quite remember how or when she got it :lol:

Also, I'm glad Prfsnl_gmr has joined the club of "Woolly World is absolutely amazing." That game is SOOOO good <3
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:This was also my experience with the game. It wasn't so much that it was hard, it was just so boring and tedious.

The game is boring and tedious. And stupid hard. But check this out:

:roll:

If anybody is looking for a challenging platformer, just play through it. World's 4 and 5 will satisfy your... urges.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

lol, those pics you posted for your review look like bad rom hack levels.

You guys have all sold me on Woolly World though, I'm definitely going to get that for my next Wii U platformer.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I don't know that I found Yoshi's Island DS notably harder than the original either, but I did find it to be poorly designed. Level obstacles often felt haphazard and there wasn't the flow to them you normally get in a well-designed Nintendo platformer.

My main issue is that the game was so predictable I started to be able to predict what would be in the next level, just based off of my memories of playing Yoshi's Island about 8 years prior.

Like, at one point in the final world I went 'I bet the next level is a copy of the 'really LOOONNG cave' level from the original (which is the worst level in that game too btw, so really didn't justify being copied), and lo and behold, it was!