Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by Xeogred »

What do you mean by asymmetrical multiplayer? Is it broken? lol

I don't really play multiplayer much though, but some of my friends do have that and it looks pretty neat.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Xeogred wrote:What do you mean by asymmetrical multiplayer? Is it broken? lol

Asymmetrical just means that players are not on even footing but that doesn't mean the game isn't balanced. For example, Evolve is an asymmetrical multiplayer game, where you have the one giant creature vs. a team of four squishy humans.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I never would have guessed that at all, lmao. No multiplayer/online gaming lingo for me.

That sounds cool though. Kind of like the new Friday the 13th game I guess, which also looks fun.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Yeah, in Depth, four players are divers equipped with various sorts of harpoon guns (you buy weapons in a Counter-Strike style) who protect and follow this treasure hunting robot on a dive while two players play as sharks who try to kill the divers and destroy the robot. It's REALLY well balanced and REALLY addicting.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I must report, that I spent that $5 on Life is Strange.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Xeogred wrote:I must report, that I spent that $5 on Life is Strange.

Normally I'd be disappointed that it wasn't Depth, but that's a phenomenal game. You chose well.

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2017 So Far - 59
* denotes a replay

January (10 Games Beaten)
1. Persona 4 Arena - Playstation 3 - January 1
2. Chrono Trigger - SNES - January 7
3. Ys: The Vanished Omens - Master System - January 8
4. MUSHA - Genesis - January 10
5. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below - PlayStation 4 - January 11
6. Ys I - TurboGrafx-CD - January 13
7. Ys II - TurboGrafx-CD - January 14
8. Dragon Quest Builders - PlayStation 4 - January 23
9. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. School Girl/Zombie Hunter - PlayStation 4 - January 29

February (12 Games Beaten)
11. Fire Emblem Heroes - Android - February 3
12. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - Wii U - February 5
13. Dante's Inferno - PlayStation 3 - February 7
14. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - DS - February 11
15. Persona 4: Dancing All Night - Vita - February 12
16. Sniper Elite 4 - PlayStation 4 - February 17
17. Pony Quest - NES - February 19
18. Halo Wars 2 - Xbox One - February 22
19. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - PlayStation Portable - February 24
20. Hotline Miami - PlayStation 4 - February 26
21. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - Famicom - February 27
22. Bad Dudes - NES - February 28

March (6 Games Beaten)
23. Root Letter - PlayStation 4 - March 2
24. Vroom in the Night Sky - Switch - March 10
25. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch - March 17
26. Super Bomberman R - Switch - March 18
27. Super Mario Run - Android - March 24
28. I Am Setsuna - Switch - March 24

April (9 Games Beaten)
29. Mass Effect: Andromeda - PlayStation 4 - April 1
30. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army - PlayStation 4 - April 2
31. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2 - PlayStation 4 - April 2
32. New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers - Switch - April 3
33. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 3 - PlayStation 4 - April 4
34. Persona 5 - PlayStation 4 - April 17
35. Alienation - PlayStation 4 - April 18
36. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - PlayStation 4 - April 23
37. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - PlayStation 4 - April 29

May (14 Games Beaten)
38. Puyo Puyo Tetris - Switch - May 4
39. Fire Emblem Gaiden - Famicom - May 6
40. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Switch - May 6
41. Outlast II - PlayStation 4 - May 7
42. Dishonored - PlayStation 4 - May 10
43. Snipperclips: Cut it Out, Together! - Switch - May 12
44. Pikmin - Gamecube - May 12
45. Metal Slug - Neo Geo MVS - May 13*
46. Dariusburst CS: Chronicle Savior - PlayStation 4 - May 14
47. Batman: The TellTale Series - PlayStation 4 - May 17
48. Batman: Arkham VR - PlayStation 4 - May 18
49. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - 3DS - May 25
50. Farpoint - PlayStation 4 - May 27
51. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Xbox 360 - May 29

June (8 Games Beaten)
52. Star Trek: Bridge Crew - PlayStation 4 - June 2
53. The Walking Dead: A New Frontier - PlayStation 4 - June 3
54. Rebel Galaxy - PC - June 18
55. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II - Vita - June 20
56. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - PC - June 21*
57. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Spearhead - PC - June 21
58. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Breakthrough - PC - June 22
59. Aliens Versus Predator - PC - June 23

59. Aliens Versus Predator - PC - June 23

First and foremost, this is the 1999 PC game, not the 1994 Atari Jaguar game or the 2009 game.  Anyway, I got it for like $2 on GoG's summer sale because I saw it was cheap and a late 90s FPS (late 90s/early 2000s is my favorite era for FPS), so I thought why not?  I honestly wasn't sure what to expect given that the Alien games have a....less than stellar track record.  I've also never seen any of the Predator movies.  I LOVE the Alien series, but I've yet to see anything with Predator.

Fortunately my hesitations were completely unneeded.  The game's not a masterpiece, but it's a damn good time in short bursts.  The game consists of three campaigns, each roughly six levels long; the colonial marine campaign is six missions, the xenomorph campaign is five missions, and the Predator campaign is six missions.  In addition to the main missions, each species has a handful of bonus missions that you unlock after finishing that species' campaign.  While I love that they added this to give the game a little more value, I only played a couple of these bonus missions; they're just the other species' missions rehashed.  For example, some of the colonial marines' bonus missions would be a mission from the xenomorph campaign with the addition of a jetpack to allow you to traverse the 3D parts as a human.  Certainly cool but nothing really new if you've already finished the three story campaigns.

Speaking of story campaigns, while the story isn't strong or told particularly well, there is a story for each species.  In the colonial marines campaign, your goal is to try to rid various USCM ships before a final confrontation with the xenomorph queen.  In the xenomorph campaign, you try to drive the humans out of your hives and recover eggs that have been stolen by human scientists and marines.  In the Predator campaign, you....actually....I'm not entirely sure what you're supposed to be doing.  All I really gathered from it was "Go kill shit and prove your honor" or something.  Idk.  Anyway, that campaign ends by hunting a xenomorph queen.

Anyway, the visuals are okay for a 1999 game.  They don't look quite as good as Unreal Tournament, but for the time, they're certainly not bad.  The sound design, while generally kind of "meh," did stand out in one regard.  The game featured a sort of pseudo-3D stereo sound where the volume of dialogue and which speaker played the audio changed based on your proximity to the monitor and where it was in relation to your character.  I know that's nothing too unusual these days, but to see it done pretty well in a 1999 game stood out to me.  Otherwise, the sound design is just okay.  The music is forgettable, and the sound effects are just okay.  One thing that was BRILLINATLY done, however, were the FMV scenes that played on monitors at various points in the game.  They were pure 90s FMV brilliance.  Worse acting than a high school play and more cheese than a deep dish pizza, they truly were the highlight of the game for me.

Source
In addition to the single player, there's also online multiplayer (which I assume still works; I honestly didn't care enough about it to test it) and your local multiplayer mode against bots called Skirmish.  I know that's an alien concept (no pun intended) for kids these days, but back in my day, we used to play multiplayer matches against either real life people in the same room or AI controlled characters called "bots."  Just another thing these damn kids killed with their PlayStation Live and Xbox Network or whatever.

Aliens Versus Predator is a perfect example of a late 90s licensed video game done right.  It's not flawless, and it definitely shows its age in both visuals and gameplay, but it's fun, it's got a huge amount of gameplay diversity, and it's one of the most fast paced FPS games I've played in a long time.  It's got a couple dozen single player missions with three different difficulty settings as well as both online and bot multiplayer, and to top it all, it's dirt cheap, even when it's not on sale.  If you're into either the Alien and/or Predator series, late 90s shooters, or (ideally) both, definitely make sure you download this on either GoG or Steam.

marurun

Post by marurun »

Positional audio was definitely already a thing in 1999. System Shock 2 used it to great effect.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

marurun wrote:Positional audio was definitely already a thing in 1999. System Shock 2 used it to great effect.

I've not played System Shock 2, but this is the first game from the 90s that I've played that had it.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I'm pretty sure the first two Thief games have some of the best sound design of all time, still echoing (hehehehe...) to this day... System Shock 2 was the same engine, but I think the sound design works better or is just cooler with the Thief games.

That all makes AvP1 sound pretty solid all around. If the FMV's are anything like Jedi Knight, then yeah they are probably epic... haha.

But most importantly, it's time to watch Predator, Elkin.