Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:41 pm

I absolutely loved Other M. It wasn't flawless - the writing could have used a little work (though I whole heartedly disagree with the complaints that it made Samus too "weak" or "emotional") and the "weapon authorization" mess was total bullshit - but it was a damn fun game. If I replayed it today and reviewed it, I'd probably give it a 4 out of 5.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:06 pm

Yeah, I know it got flak for doing the same stuff that Fusion did structurally, but it got even more flak for the story, none of which was on Team Ninja.

I really enjoyed Other M. In fact, I enjoyed it a lot. Not perfect, but I'd put it in 8.5 or 9/10 territory.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:39 pm

marurun wrote:
Sarge wrote:If we can get side-scrolling Mario, even now, we can get side-scrolling Metroid. But heck, I'll take another Prime game, too.

My understanding is that the New Super Mario Bros. games are not nearly as solid as those from the NES and SNES era. And Nintendo still is making 3D Mario games. Mario is also a much safer, higher-selling franchise.

I think that NSMBU is one of the best Mario games EVAR (even if it ain't Woolly World :P ). I think a lot of them have been fairly good to great. That's just me though. It seems many do not share this opinion :P

Exhuminator wrote:Congratulations to everybody who enjoys Nintendo's new questionable-demographic catering IPs. I'm just salty because there hasn't been a new side scrolling Metroid or F-Zero for thirteen years and counting.

I totally understand Nintendo's hesitence to touch the Metroid series in earnist. I mean, the grand-daddy of the game Gunpei Yokoi has been out of the company (and the living world) for going on two decades. Without him pushing for new games (combined with the respect the other veterans have of not wanting to mess with what they perhaps saw as his baby), whenever a new Metroid happens, it's not because Miyamoto really wants to, it's probably because some third-party player wants to put their hat into the Metroid ring.

As far as F-Zero goes, that probably has more to do with how Sega would rather work on their own racing games (as they developed GX and AX, largely) and how Nintendo would rather focus on the more popular Mario Kart series.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:34 pm

PartridgeSenpai wrote:I totally understand Nintendo's hesitence to touch the Metroid series in earnist. I mean, the grand-daddy of the game Gunpei Yokoi has been out of the company (and the living world) for going on two decades. Without him pushing for new games (combined with the respect the other veterans have of not wanting to mess with what they perhaps saw as his baby), whenever a new Metroid happens, it's not because Miyamoto really wants to, it's probably because some third-party player wants to put their hat into the Metroid ring.

Gunpei Yokoi was the producer of Metroid, but he was hardly a one man army. The original game was actually directed by Satoru Okada and Yoshio Sakamoto, not Gunpei Yokoi. Makoto Kano wrote the base scenario, while Hiroji Kiyotake, Hirofumi Matsuoka, and Yoshio Sakamoto designed the game's characters. The character design for Samus Aran was created by Kiyotake. If anybody is seen as the "grand-daddy" of Metroid by Nintendo, it's Yoshio Sakamoto, who acted as director of nearly every 2D Metroid and Other M.

Also Miyamoto hasn't directed a Mario game since 1999's Mario Artist: Paint Studio for the Nintendo 64DD. But that hasn't stopped Nintendo from cranking out Mario games constantly. So even if Yokoi was still around, either way it shouldn't have a bearing on the production of Metroid games as such.
PartridgeSenpai wrote:As far as F-Zero goes, that probably has more to do with how Sega would rather work on their own racing games (as they developed GX and AX, largely) and how Nintendo would rather focus on the more popular Mario Kart series.

The reason Nintendo hasn't created an F-Zero in over 13 years, is because Shigeru Miyamoto thinks the series has no room to evolve...

"I certainly understand that people want a new F-Zero game," Miyamoto explained to IGN. "I think where I struggle is that I don't really have a good idea for what's new that we could bring to F-Zero that would really turn it into a great game again. Certainly I can see how people looking at Mario Kart 8 could see, through the anti-gravity, a connection to F-Zero," Miyamoto continued. "But I don't know, at this point, what direction we could go in with a new F-Zero." ( http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... ero-future )

That whole excuse is a just a decoy. I mean Nintendo has no problem making Mario Kart games over and over with barely any difference between them. The same could easily be done for F-Zero. The fact is simply F-Zero didn't sell the way Nintendo wanted it to. But that doesn't mean a bevy of new ideas couldn't make the series popular again. And if Miyamoto can't come up with those ideas, he needs to step out of the way, and let the younger minds at Nintendo offer up some fresh concepts for the IP.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Flake

by Flake Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:55 pm

January:
Super Mario Bros Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3 (GBA/WiiU)
Super Mario Bros Advance 2: Yoshi's Island (GBA/WiiU)
Wario Land 4 (GBA/WiiU)

March:
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3)

Hey my first non-Nintendo game beaten this year! It happens every now and then.

This is my first time beating Arkham Asylum and I have to say, I finally get what the fuss is. Between the shockingly good story line (better than most of the movies), the character design/animation, and the voice acting (Kevin Conroy for President), the game creates an amazing immersive experience.

There were parts of the game where the tension was so much that I actually had to put down the controller (Killer Croc comes to mind) but it wasn't so much that I was discouraged from playing like I often am with Horror Titles (full confession, I am a wimp) so when I finally beat the game (normal difficulty), I felt as though I had really overcome something and made it through a night in the Asylum.

I have the other games in the series but I don't think I can tackle them back to back. It'd be hard to maintain this feeling.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:11 am

15. Crysis | PC | FPS | 2007 | 9hrs | 8/10

A lone man battles across a beautiful jungle isle, fighting nefarious infantry units, and then a bunch of monsters show up and everything goes to hell. This scenario sounds just like Far Cry, right? Well take Jack Carver, make him an active special forces agent (as opposed to an ex one), and give him a super suit, and there's Crysis plain enough. Crysis is unashamedly Super Far Cry. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, as Crytek deserved a chance to remake Far Cry properly. And they did it with Crysis.

Not bad looking for 2007. But notice the FPS rate up at the top left. That's about as good a framerate as you could hope for at those settings at that time.

Anyone paying attention to PC gaming 10 years ago surely heard of Crysis. And those that tried to play it were likely disappointed by their current system's performance. There's no doubt that the Crysis-effect gave new PC sales a big boost in 2007. Along with coining the phrase; "But can it run Crysis?" I can tell you right now, my 2007 desktop definitely couldn't. This was an FPS that attempted to push gaming graphics into the next generation single handedly, making its peers look like amateur hour in comparison. To Crysis' testament, on Very High settings, it still looks impressive even today.

I'm happy to report this is not an FPS that's all sizzle and no steak. Amazingly enough, Crytek actually created a consistently entertaining FPS here. There's a lot of variety thrown into the mix; you'll drive tanks and VTOLs, fight in zero gravity, and even disable a nuclear reactor with your bare hands, for example. The nuts and bolts of the FPS gameplay work perfectly, and the super suit does manage to change gameplay noticeably. Your suit allows you to do such things as cloak yourself invisibly, or increase bullet resistance, or increase strength tremendously. Unfortunately the suit's (thermokinetic regenerating?) battery lasts about 5 seconds when a power is used, meaning these abilities are best implemented only to help the player out of a quick jam.

When in doubt, blow shit up.

I'll admit I didn't have my hopes high when I started playing Crysis. Usually stuff like this doesn't age very well, that is to say graphical show ponies. And the original Far Cry had been a sour note once the Trigen showed up. (Thankfully Crysis' aliens didn't annoy me nearly as much as they did.) Instead I found myself playing a consistently entertaining action sci-fi akin to some lost '80s film. It's also apparent to me now, having played this game 10 years after its release, just how influential Crysis was going forward. For better or worse, Crysis set the bar for seventh generation FPS games. And if nothing else, it made for a great 9 hour benchmark.

PLAY KING'S FIELD.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:14 am

Exhuminator wrote: And if Miyamoto can't come up with those ideas, he needs to step out of the way, and let the younger minds at Nintendo offer up some fresh concepts for the IP.

Sadly, this is not just Japan, but Japan corporate culture, so such things just do not happen Xp
Miyamoto will probably hold at least some power at Nintendo by seniority alone until he literally no longer can (physically/mentally).
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:22 am

PartridgeSenpai wrote:
Exhuminator wrote: And if Miyamoto can't come up with those ideas, he needs to step out of the way, and let the younger minds at Nintendo offer up some fresh concepts for the IP.

Sadly, this is not just Japan, but Japan corporate culture, so such things just do not happen Xp
Miyamoto will probably hold at least some power at Nintendo by seniority alone until he literally no longer can (physically/mentally).

Y'all are giving miyamoto too much credit in this day and age. He is pretty much a creative consultant and that is it. He had little to nothing to do with the various new IPs like splatoon and even with Breath of the Wild he just played some test ideas and said, "I like this."
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:36 am

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Y'all are giving miyamoto too much credit in this day and age. He is pretty much a creative consultant and that is it. He had little to nothing to do with the various new IPs like splatoon and even with Breath of the Wild he just played some test ideas and said, "I like this."

To keep it in context; I was specifically quoting Miyamoto from a 2013 interview, himself saying why Nintendo hasn't made a new F-Zero in so long. The man still holds a lot of clout when it comes to yes-ing and no-ing creation of games, even if he specifically doesn't do hands-on design work with them. (BTW the last game I can find that cites Miyamoto as a direct designer was 2011's Steel Diver for 3DS -> http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interview ... s-made/4/3 .)
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:59 pm

I'm glad I gave Other M a fair shake last year. It's still very flawed and about 7/10 territory for me, but it had extremely good ideas and design in spots to the point that I wish it got a sequel or two and Team Ninja could have worked out the kinks. I think a few more bigger open space rooms here and there would have been cool. The game design itself, Team Ninja's work, was top notch. And it seemed really high tech for a Wii game.

The story and characters were indeed an utter nightmare. Sakamoto might have done great things decades ago, but he has clearly lost his marbles and should be banned from Metroid. Please let Retro take it back next time, although it sounds like most of the Prime staff are gone by now.

Breath of the Wild being one of the greatest games of all time and most of the Wii U first party titles being incredible are proof that Nintendo could make a good Metroid if they cared, but I don't think Nintendo caring and Metroid seem to be a puzzle the fits together at all. It must really have no steam whatsoever in Japan and they just don't care about it. Hunters, Pinball games, Federation Forces, what's next, I don't even want it. Probably the only time ever where a Japanese IP is probably better off in Western hands.
Return to General Gaming