Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by Ack »

Xeogred wrote:If you liked Deadly Premonition you'll love this.

Damn good coffee.
elricorico
32-bit

Post by elricorico »

Crimson Skies:High Road to Revenge (XBOX)

I played most of this in small bites late last year, and hoped to finish it before the year ended, but holiday activities kept me from getting back to it until today. I expected that I only had a couple hours left of the campaign, and I was right, except for the whole dying over and over in the last mission!

This is an arcade style dog-fighting game set in an alternate universe where everyone seems to have a plane. The story is fairly bland overall, and simply serves as a vehicle to lead you into the next mission. The missions range from semi-open world levels consisting of several mini-missions, to linear battles where you must specifically take out enemies in a prescribed order. Many missions include alternate vehicles or anti-aircraft guns that can be used to take out enemies. They are mostly fun and have a fair amount of challenge later in the game. The one exception to being "fun" that I found was the trial somewhere near the middle of the game where you must show off your flying abilities by following another pilot through a complex path around canyons and rock pillars. That had me pretty frustrated as some turns seemed very picky about whether you were successfully following or not.

I had seen this in "Hidden Gems" lists a number of times and when I picked it up from a pawn shop it cost only $1. I'd say that this may be one of the best cheap games I've ever picked up and I don't see it going up in price any time soon as it is one of the most common games for a system that collectors don't seem interested in.

I had a lot of fun with this one. I imagine it was very entertaining online back when it was active. Good controls, graphics hold up pretty well and there was enough challenge to keep me working but not enough to drive me away. The ending only consisted of a lame and short cut scene, but that was only a minor let-down. I'd recommend this for just about anyone.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

elricorico wrote:Crimson Skies:High Road to Revenge (XBOX)

Good controls, graphics hold up pretty well and there was enough challenge to keep me working but not enough to drive me away. I'd recommend this for just about anyone.

I played this last year and I was surprised at how much I liked it. I was expecting it to be an okay to a good game, but it turned out to be pretty great. The story is interesting and it is just fun to play.

It is VERY high on my list of games to go back and replay!
Flake

Post by Flake »

TSTR wrote:So did you like the Tanooki Suit, or love it?

The Tanooki, Frog, and Hammer Bros suits are weird. They are a lot of fun and really neat but their rarity makes it hard to enjoy them. The moment you use the, you spend the next 20 minutes terrified of getting hit.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

It just makes them all the more precious! :D
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

For me it's all about the Kuribo's Shoe... which is literally only in a single level.

Hammer Bros is my favorite after that. I used to try and challenge myself to get it as earliest as possible (only in world 6 though I think?) and then try and keep it through the rest of the game.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

HOW COULD I FORGET THE SHOE? That's the best.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

January:
1) The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (PC) (8.5) (1/1) (~5.5 hours)
2) ActRaiser (SNES) (8.0) (1/2) (~4 hours)
3) Bonk's Revenge (GB) (6.0) (1/3) (~1 hour)
4) Tiny Toon Adventures: Babs' Big Break (GB) (6.5) (1/3) (~1 hour)
5) Blackwell Legacy (PC) (7.0) (1/5) (2.6 hours)
6) Blackwell Unbound (PC) (7.5) (1/7) (2.2 hours)
7) Blackwell Convergence (PC) (8.0) (1/7) (2.4 hours)
8) Blackwell Deception (PC) (8.0) (1/8) (4.7 hours)
9) Blackwell Epiphany (PC) (9.0) (1/9) (6.5 hours)

Easily the most polished of the Blackwell games. It's presentationally much more consistent than the last entry (all the UI elements are in the same resolution, generally speaking), and there are many more locales to visit. Almost too many, because you do a lot of back and forth between places and people trying to figure out what to do next. It really does feel like you're a detective at times, with all that entails.

The only thing I really can't talk about is the ending. I... get it, but I didn't really like it. I like happy endings in my entertainment, no matter how unrealistic. This was bittersweet... much like how things can be in real life, without going into much more detail.

Anyway, this one I can wholeheartedly recommend. I obviously wouldn't start with it, though. You really do need to play the entire series to get what you need out of it. Final Fantasy this ain't.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Nice job on the Blackwell games Sarge. I've long been interested in them (actually own them all via GOG), just haven't gotten around to playing through them yet. I really like the premise and from all I've read it seems like a very solid collection of adventures. Actually last year I made a decision between the first Blackwell game or The Lost Crown, considering both were ghostly adventure games. I chose The Lost Crown because it was supposed to actually be scary (and it was). Anyway nice reviews of all the games, thanks.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

1. 3D Power Drift 3DS
2. Maze Hunter 3-D 3DS *NEW*

Look at that, I updated my list with only a single game for a change! New year, new me, right?

Maze Hunter 3-D

Maze Hunter 3-D is a top down ...action(?) maze (?) game for the Sega Master System, but I played through it on Sega 3D Classics Collection for the 3DS. The original title was compatible with Sega's 3D glasses peripheral on SMS, and the effect is replicated nicely on 3DS. It has some impressive depth too with floors in the map all being at different heights, and the size of your sprites and the distance you can attack all scale accordingly. It's a shame it's pretty much the only good thing about the game!

Maze Hunter 3-D has you trudging slowly through top down stages - they're not really mazes, but they're not linear either, so some exploring is required - hitting enemies with a stick, until you find a key hidden in the stage. In Japan, the game is called Maze Walker, and it lives up to that name. You walk EVERYWHERE, VERY slowly. Finding the key will open the exit, which you then walk to to leave. Enemies spawn in at random around the map, but they pretty much all act pretty similarly - run around at random, die to one hit with your stick. The main difference is the speed of movement. A few trickier enemies exist, the worst of which is an invinicble cloud that shoots thunderbolts in all four compass directions sporadically. You just need to run past this one between blasts.

You can jump too, but it's mainly useless. Sometime a balloon comes by, which, when jumped at and hit with your stick, will drop an item. This is normally some short lived attack power up that lets you shoot slowly. Not normally worth it. There's almost no platforming, and enmies are too random to jump over, so jumping is worthless. Power ups exist too, but most are uesless. The armor suit lets you take 3 hits instead of dying instantly, but you're too slow to avoid stuff whilst wearing it. The light suit speeds you up a tiny bit, but it's still SLOOOW. Jump shoes make you jump for longer (useless), power shoes I literally never figured out what they do, and the spiked shoes stop you sliding in ice, which is generally useful in the ice world where you find them, making them the game's only worthwhile power up.

The game has 20 stages in 5 themed worlds, but the mechanics never change, there are no bosses and the ending is the usual 8 bit quality. Most of all, the gameplay just isn't fun. You're perfectly fine to skip this one.