Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by Sarge »

Even highly-lauded games like Snatcher suffer from the trigger problem. It's basically a big text tree you have to explore, and sometimes it can be easy to miss an option... or even worse, when it expects you to do the same option multiple times for a trigger.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

1. DKC Returns (3DS)
2. √ Letter (PS4)
3. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (PC)

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided more or less picks up where Human Revolution leaves off - or, rather, where the Missing Link DLC (which I haven't played) leaves off. It's once again about taking control of Adam Jensen and his mostly artificial body that he never asked for in a first-person action/stealth RPG. Based on his lack of a reflection, I also have to assume he's a vampire, but the game never addresses it.
Per usual for this sort of thing, I played through with a focus on sneaking around and not killing people, and abusing quicksave so, so much.

The basic setup is that, following the events of Human Revolution, augmented people are now heavily discriminated against. Partly due to continuing the more nuanced consideration of how having augments would influence employment and the like...but mostly because near the end of the first game, most of them were sabotaged and went berserk, killing a lot of people. So, most of the NPCs on the street pretty much just hate them. The attempted social commentary there is heavy handed at best.

..and probably drawing parallels it shouldn't at worst.

Following an intro mission, you're sent to investigate a subway bombing on behalf of Interpol, who the local police don't want to cooperate with (of course!).

Ultimately, the writing comes second to gameplay. Most NPCs are one-dimensional, fitting whatever role they have. IE, you can't reason with the police, because they're just there to be an obstacle. I assume, in part, due to the fact that there are so many approaches to take in tackling missions, but the game still ends up in basically the same place. Accessible via vents large enough for a man to crawl through, like the Machine God intended.

That being said, the actual gameplay for Mankind Divided is generally improved. Other than potentially not having enough battery power to punch someone. :roll:
Bosses are almost non-existent - there were only a couple encounters I ran into that would qualify, and those were easily handled by hiding and shooting tranquilizer darts. The more frequent thing was really running into influential conversation with key NPCs. Maybe a different playstyle would have changed that, but either way, I didn't get forced to change tactics as the original release of Human Revolution did.

Additionally, the choices that were available to impact the ending were better integrated. It wasn't the "pick a button" that even the original game wound up having. Instead, the end sequence could be a complete (or near complete) success, depending on earlier choices/discoveries made, and simply time taken.

The PC port seemed decent - plenty of bells and whistles to tweak. One odd exemption was the lack of a toggle for keyboard or controller prompts. It seemed like if my computer had the slightest possibility of a gamepad being connected, Mankind Divided wanted to show me gamepad prompts. I literally had to unplug my bluetooth adapter (as I have a Bluetooth Xbox One pad) to get it to assume I was going to use keyboard and mouse.
Otherwise, it hitched a few times, and hard crashed a couple, but otherwise ran nicely.

Overall, I didn't find the story or characters to be too compelling, but gameplay was solid - mostly just more Human Revolution, albeit more consistent. Still, that's about all I'd say about it. It didn't try anything new, even for a level or two like Dishonored 2 did. Good, certainly worth playing if you like the genre, but far from essential.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

@Sarge

I just think it's interesting how whole generations of Japanese adventure games' core design (menu based navigation) was a result of programmers' initial experience producing menu based business applications. Thus making an adventure game using that format was a simpler affair, compared to say a parser based interface with King Graham walking around.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Juan Aguacate
24-bit

Post by Juan Aguacate »

TSTR wrote:Ah, that sounds wack with the difficulty spike. I had higher hopes. Maybe if it hits bargain bin prices when it comes to PC, I'll check it.

Yeah, it happens around chapter 4. I think I said after chapter 4, so I edited my post.

I mean, it's still manageable. I've played harder games, just that it gets annoying and less fun around chapter 4. The game starts introducing more annoying enemies around that point like these constantly respawning flyers that keep grabbing your head forcing you to shake them off. You have to destroy what's spawning them, but of course there's enemies trying to stop you (who are annoying themselves), along with the aforementioned fliers, and the spawning thing may be surrounded by some obnoxious environmental hazard as well. You also run into the annoying bull enemies that can take off half your health with one hit unless you have upgraded your health and defense a bit, and also what I call the "banshee bitches".

And like I said, the final chapter is a pain if you haven't purchased "super power mode" upgrades for your ranger when you leveled up as every enemy will be constantly invincible. And it's not like the game lets you respec your points either.

I'm just so tired of devs thinking that every time you make a retro style beat 'em up it just has to be cheap, like that's some kind of rule. Some of the trophies are a bitch too like one for beating an entire chapter, which is like three stages, without taking damage and another one for getting to floor 50 of Rita's Tower, which is a survival mode. Ugh.

Again, I want to give props to A King's Tale Final Fantasy XV, a fun beat 'em up that isn't cheap at any point in the game and has FUN challenges in its unlockable Dream Battles.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Classic belt-scrollers were cheap as hell to steal your quarters. Modern games don't have to steal your quarters. No excuse for cheap, save that it's harder to design than legit skill-hard.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Yeah isiolia, it pains me to say, but you'll probably completely forget about Mankind Divided in a month or so. I sunk 40 hours into it and had a blast, but it ultimately feels completely forgettable. Even Invisible War left a bigger mark. The gameplay is maybe the best in the series, but HR is 10x better in its pacing, structure, and narrative. And I love HR, but it wasn't perfect either.

Still, certainly a lot better than Eidos Montreal's take on Thief.
Raz
16-bit

Post by Raz »

1. Dragon Quest Builders (PS4)
2. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future (DS)
3. Wild Guns: Reloaded (PS4)
4. World Heroes (SNES)
5. Arkanoid: Doh It Again (SNES)

It's Arkanoid! I'm not familiar with Breakout-style games besides flash versions I probably played years ago, but this is a pretty cool version of Arkanoid. It has a single player mode where you progress through 99 stages. Some are fun, some are frustrating, and some are boss battles. There's also a level editor and some two player modes available as well.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

SonicMT (Sonic hack). It's basically Sonic 1 but with:

* Act 2 bosses (that are more often than not hard than the Act 3 ones, which are basically unchanged)
* Simulated IAP (your score after each act gets turned into points that you use to "purchase" things like Knuckles (2000 points) and Tails (999 points), who you switch out with the A button; you can also purchase "better music" and extra lives for 42 points and useless "tips" for 5 points and a bunch of really pricy AF stuff like level select and a few things whose functions are unknown to me but probably not someone else... gotta Google that)
* A new final act that's insane AF!
* and more
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Sounds interesting. Sonic 1 rules.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Xeogred wrote:Yeah isiolia, it pains me to say, but you'll probably completely forget about Mankind Divided in a month or so. I sunk 40 hours into it and had a blast, but it ultimately feels completely forgettable. Even Invisible War left a bigger mark. The gameplay is maybe the best in the series, but HR is 10x better in its pacing, structure, and narrative. And I love HR, but it wasn't perfect either.

Heh, Invisible War I quit after only a short time because a glitch locked me in a room early on - wasn't as far in as when KoTOR 2 did that, but still. Made me leery of continuing.

None of them are perfect really, but I think the other Deus Ex games had more ambition to them. Even if Human Revolution was mostly just trying to update the game for more modern audiences :lol: