Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by Exhuminator »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Dragon Quest VII is the all-you-can-eat buffet of Dragon Quest games.

Great description, and congratulations on finishing such a gargantuan JRPG classic (well, remade classic that is). Definitely agree there's some serious bang for your buck with DQVII.

Dragon Quest IV (DS) is fantastic, and Dragon Quest VIII (PS2) is phenomenal. You've saved the best for last, willingly or no. After you've had some rest from the series, it'll eventually be fun to read your opinions of these two when you review them.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

isiolia wrote:
dsheinem wrote:out of curiosity, where?

Nothing major, just when I was searching for quest lists and such to try and make sure I tagged everything I did see the occasional thread pop up questioning where the good white guys were or similar (GameFAQs I think). Seemed like a very small minority of people though.

Yeah, it's basically that group of people who get really bent out of shape when their heterosexual white maleness is not being catered to. They really got bent out of shape about Horizon Zero Dawn.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I know nothing of modern games or the disaster that is "gaming culture" but wouldn't these dudes want attractive heroic women in their games?

It's like the complaints about "fake geek girls" and whatnot. "I went to this convention the other week and there were too many good-looking nerdy women dammit!!!"
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Oh, those poor little snowflakes. Now that Horizon Zero Dawn has been released, how will they ever find another action game to play as a white hetero male lead when they have only 99.9% of all other action games to choose from?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I know nothing of modern games or the disaster that is "gaming culture" but wouldn't these dudes want attractive heroic women in their games?

It's like the complaints about "fake geek girls" and whatnot. "I went to this convention the other week and there were too many good-looking nerdy women dammit!!!"

This is a road you don't want to go down. It makes zero sense and the more you try to figure it out the more baffled and pissed off you'll become.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:It's like the complaints about "fake geek girls" and whatnot.

I hear this term a lot in regards to women and sci-fi, too. Clearly the people who say it have no grasp of the history of the genre they profess to love.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I don't suffer from white male guilt or whatever, but I am damn sure tired of this protagonist aesthetic:

Give me more strong black women as my leads. I enjoyed that in Urban Chaos and Assassin's Creed III: Liberation.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Exhuminator wrote:I don't suffer from white male guilt or whatever, but I am damn sure tired of this protagonist aesthetic:

Give me more strong black women as my leads. I enjoyed that in Urban Chaos and Assassin's Creed III: Liberation.

It would be hilarious if there was a picture of Kirby mixed in there. :lol:
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I know nothing of modern games or the disaster that is "gaming culture" but wouldn't these dudes want attractive heroic women in their games?

I doubt folks would have much issue over Aloy herself (potential parallels to religious figures aside). She's more or less what the majority of main characters are - smart, resourceful, capable, destined, etc. Probably less sexualized than most, but to be fair, that's true of the game in general.
It'd probably be more that it doesn't stop there. Many of the smart, reasonable, or noble characters in HZD are also women and/or non-white. Little of which is even brought up within context of the game, as biases tend far more towards tribal than race or gender (only Aloy's tribe is matriarchal, offhand). Even then, they're not shown to be monolithic. Except bandits and cult members, kill every last one. :twisted:

Exhuminator wrote:Give me more strong black women as my leads. I enjoyed that in Urban Chaos and Assassin's Creed III: Liberation.

The lead in Remember Me, Nilin, is half black, if that counts. It's mildly noteworthy, if not amusing, that Dontnod has complained about the difficulty of getting a female-fronted game published with both that, and Life is Strange...and here Sony is putting out what could possibly even be labeled a feminist game as their showcase.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:It would be hilarious if there was a picture of Kirby mixed in there. :lol:

Hey Kirby was white!........ in the first game.

1. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
2. Gyromite (NES)
3. Lucy -The Eternity She Wished For- (Steam)
4. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (Famicom)
5. Radical Dreamers (SNES)
6. Video Games 1 (TI-99/4A)
7. Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken (Famicom)
8. Exile (TurboGrafx CD)
9. Exile: Wicked Phenomenon (TurboGrafx CD)
10. Xak (PC Engine CD, Xak I・II)
11. Xak II (PC Engine CD, Xak I・II)
12. Neutopia (TurboGrafx-16)
13. Captain Silver (Sega Master System)
14. Märchen Veil (Famicom Disk System)
15. Vanguard (Atari 2600)
16. Kangaroo (Atari 2600)
17. Front Line (Atari 2600)
18. Mario Bros. (Atari 2600)
19. Harmonia (Steam)
20. Donkey Kong (Atari 2600)
21. Jungle Hunt (Atari 2600)
22. Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes (TurboGrafx CD)
23. Gorf (Atari 2600)
24. Neutopia II (TurboGrafx-16)
25. Dungeon Magic (PlayStation 2, Taito Legends 2)
26. The Lost Vikings (SNES)
27. Blue's Journey (Wii Virtual Console)

The SNES had Super Mario World. The Genesis had Sonic the Hedgehog. The TurboGrafx-16 had Bonk's Adventure. The Neo Geo had... Blue's Journey? Yeah, technically there are several platformers on the Neo Geo but this is the most straightforward hop & bop "mascot-y" one out of the bunch.
Blue's Journey was initially released in 1990 and was made available on the old Neo Geo trio: MVS, AES, and CD. It then appeared on the Wii Virtual Console many years later, and, if you're completely insane, you can even find it on the Neo Geo X. The collector in me has desired a cartridge for the longest time, but they go for about $100 a pop. Virtual Console it is.

The plot has a sort of shoehorned environmentally-friendly bent to it, kinda like the one seen in Eco Fighters. Blue is a dude living on the planet of "Raguy" (which is the Japanese title of the game). It's rife with beautiful flora and fauna. Some a-hole extraterrestrials invade with the purpose of destroying the planet, so it's up to Blue to save the day. Oh, and there is also a princess to be rescued. This is a video game after all.
To achieve victory Blue must work his way through a series of 2D (mostly) linear platforming stages. There's a "branching paths" map system between each level, so more than one playthrough is required to see the entire game. I have no idea why the game is designed like this, perhaps Alpha Denshi thought it was too long otherwise. While appearing somewhat cookie-cutter at first glance, Blue's Journey does a lot to differentiate itself. In fact, those expecting a straightforward Mario-esque trek might feel there is too much going on. There are a couple of different attack methods. Blue can hop on most enemies, though the hit detection here never feels quite right. It's best to attack with the "leaf drop" - the eco-friendly method of smacking foes with a giant leaf. This does not outright annihilate enemies but stuns them; they can then be picked up and tossed at their cronies. Multiple enemies can be stacked in Blue's arms, much in the same way Noah can hold an entire flock of the sheep. The controls are spot-on and combat is fluid and satisfying. Blue's jump is lengthy and easy to steer, and the game is chock full of moving platforms, vines, and so on. There's no "running" here, however, just a constant steady trot.

Blue can also shrink down to about a third of his regular size. While in this state he can maneuver into smaller areas but is unable to deal damage. It's a wholly underutilized mechanic, but does help in nabbing some specific tucked away items. There are also a handful of offensive power-ups, like a bomb (with the expected annoying arc) and boomerang.
Each level contains a few NPCs. Some will offer a specific item for sale (never essential) while others want to barter, gamble, or shoot the shit. There are designated shops as well, all run by a scantily-clad fairy girl. These offer up health refills, speedy shoes, and a few other goodies. Currency consists of flowers that can be collected throughout each stage, much like Mario's coins or Sonic's rings. Naturally the flower count is reset to zero upon a Game Over. I don't care for the character designs, personally. They all have that goofball smarmy smirky look seen in so many SNK games. Blue himself looks like a complete chode up-close, sporting some sort of insectish helmet with a hole for his hair to poke through. His in-game sprite is much better. The princess is a total qt3.14 I will admit, there is no denying that.

Visually, Blue's Journey is absolutely stunning. It's absurdly colorful, almost too colorful if such a thing was possible. There's an incredible attention to detail in each stage, but it's done in such a way that the background elements never become obtrusive or distracting. The game takes a sudden turn from lush to industrial come the final cluster of levels, reflecting the environmentally destructive aims of the villains. Music is jovial throughout, though not particularly memorable. I do particularly enjoy the steel drum centered stage one theme.
The game's pretty hard, which I suppose is unsurprising given its arcade nature. Enemies are incredibly numerous in the final areas, and thus difficult to avoid. There are also a few tricky spots where it's absolutely essential to be in "small mode." It always took me a moment or two to figure this out. Bosses also put up quite a fight. They're incredibly quick, can summon hordes of standard enemies, and the battlefield is small and cramped. Expect to lose most "quarters" during these skirmishes.

Overall, this is an unexpected and unexpectedly fun game. As someone who's not a shmup or fighters connoisseur I sometimes have a tough time connecting with the Neo scene, but semi-hidden gems like this keep me coming back. It doesn't have a ton of staying power or replay value, but it's heavily entertaining throughout its 45-minute duration. In all good conscience though, I can't recommend dropping a c-note on this. Hit up that VC playa.