Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by retrosportsgamer »

This game is art. Yep, I went there. Art as I define it anyway. I believe proper art asks questions, but doesn't tell the answers. And Dear Esther met that criteria with gusto.

Well put. I played through the Landmark edition back in October and as soon as I completed the game, searched for and read as many commentary pieces as I could find to compare my thoughts. That is a good indicator the game was effective in its storytelling goals.

I have no interest in going back for the director's commentary (or to grab the 1 or 2 achievements I missed) however. Once the initial exploration and introspection is complete, it's over.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

retrosportsgamer wrote:
This game is art. Yep, I went there. Art as I define it anyway. I believe proper art asks questions, but doesn't tell the answers. And Dear Esther met that criteria with gusto.

Well put. I played through the Landmark edition back in October and as soon as I completed the game, searched for and read as many commentary pieces as I could find to compare my thoughts. That is a good indicator the game was effective in its storytelling goals.

I have no interest in going back for the director's commentary (or to grab the 1 or 2 achievements I missed) however. Once the initial exploration and introspection is complete, it's over.

I've got a PS4 copy in the mail from Limited Run. After reading that review, I'm excited to experience it for myself.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

retrosportsgamer wrote:I have no interest in going back for the director's commentary

I thought about replaying it with the director's commentary enabled, but decided against it. A magic trick loses all magic once explained.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I played through Dear Esther back around 2013 or so. Any reason I should return to it for the updated release?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Ack wrote:I played through Dear Esther back around 2013 or so. Any reason I should return to it for the updated release?

Not unless you want to hear directory's commentary as you play through it again. Although there is this aspect that Landmark Edition adds:

"Every play-through a unique experience, with randomly generated audio, visuals and events."

I don't know what parts are randomly generated or how significant the randomization is.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Exhuminator wrote:
MrPopo wrote:I think I'm two battles into the PSP version and haven't touched it since release.

Any particular reason why you dropped it?

I think there was too much coming out at the time, or I was in the middle of some games at the time. Some sort of distraction, in any case.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

A few thoughts on some of the things Ex has been writing about...

-I spent a boatload of hours with LUCT on the PSP several years ago and got up to the last "run" in the Hanging Gardens/Eden and despite having sunk many, many hours into the game and having done many of the optional/grindy things, I was disappointed to find that I was still not in good shape to do the final run. I tried to go back to it a year later, and then another year or two after that (after transferring saves and downloading the game for my Vita), but I had forgotten so many of the intricate systems that I felt totally lost and even more inept than I did when I was playing it seriously. I remember asking for help then, to no avail :lol:

-Dear Esther made me cry :lol: It is now required playing for my college students in the video games class I teach. Ex, have you played "Everyone's Gone to the Rapture?" It is their follow up title, and is a worthy successor in many ways - it both lags behind and surpasses Esther in different ways.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

dsheinem wrote:I had forgotten so many of the intricate systems that I felt totally lost and even more inept than I did when I was playing it seriously.

I understand where you're coming from. The end game is an unfair shit show. I was actually pretty reserved about TO:LUCT in my review here, out of respect for its fans. But if anyone wants to read a scathing (yet justifiable) review of TO:LUCT that really breaks the game down: http://www.tbstactics.com/2011/10/tacti ... r-psp.html (No I did not write that review.)

dsheinem wrote:Ex, have you played "Everyone's Gone to the Rapture?"

No, but I downloaded it yesterday. I also downloaded Firewatch, Virginia, The Stanley Parable, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, and Kholat. I think I've missed out on a significant nascent genre these past few years. Oops. :oops:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Exhuminator wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Ex, have you played "Everyone's Gone to the Rapture?"

No, but I downloaded it yesterday. I also downloaded Firewatch, Virginia, The Stanley Parable, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, and Kholat. I think I've missed out on a significant nascent genre these past few years. Oops. :oops:

Of those, the only one I've played is Everyone's Gone to the Rapture, but that's a fantastic game. Not as good as Gone Home IMO, but damn good nonetheless.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Exhuminator wrote:
MrPopo wrote:you also need certain awards / jobs typically need an award related to their functionality

Ah so this was this game's way of trying to get the player to play more strategically, gotcha.

I will forever remember the Priest class not being able to have more than a few kills. I had lost track and my main Priest ended up counterattacking to kill a boss forcing him out of the priesthood. The fight was an hour or so long and I barely won it so I did not want to run it again, so here I am super late in the game, starting up a new healer.