2017 Gaming goals and resolutions

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: 2017 Gaming goals and resolutions

Post by Exhuminator »

Sarge wrote:I've got Faselei!, and that's the biggest one that matters in my book.

Yes it's the killer app for the system. Biomotor Unitron was cool from the bit I played of it. The Dive Alert games always looked interesting too.

Not a huge fan of all the chibi fighting games on NGP though. I mean, yeah, they're cute, but they're just watered down versions of bigger better things if I'm being honest. However I understand for their time of release that was still a fun thing to have.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Faselei is solid, especially if you got it in english. Same can be said for Cotton too. See my issue isn't so much on NGPC the various games I'd like in general, it's the specific ones I used to own scalpers have shoved well up (Biomotor Unitron, Rockman Power Battle and Fighters, and Cotton 100%) were my favorites aside from a few others (like Neo Turf Masters and the Metal Slugs along with Sonic.) It just would get expensive really quick, and downhill from there.

Exhuminator: That's exactly why. Just like the GBgames that came out just a few years earlier, the hardware just wasn't there until the GBA rolled along and after to do a Neo Geo game justice. The chibi cute stuff allowed for full move sets and animations as they were cheap and easy to render and ate up little space. It was a solid compromise where you'd still the game with an 8bit watered down cuter presentation value.

darsparx: If you're choosing between TG16 and Neo Geo, I"ll tell you what I said to mas when he dug up that TG16 he did. The games are overly expensive, even the poor house garbage of the system goes for more than many good old NES commons and most its garbage games too. If you have to go with it, get a Duo or a region modded PCE CD system, an everdrive, and burn your discs unless you can find either cheap.

That said, get a Neo-Geo, but NOT the AES as the prices are bat shit nuts. Go with MVS, and if you don't want the arcade unit, people take the motherboards and mod them into consolized MVS systems with a nice frame for it and all the jacks you'd ever need for the TV. Pay up for that, and pay a tiny fraction of the AES cost on most of the games. No reason to screw yourself unless you have big pockets and get wood over a big plastic box and a wrap around color sticker.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

"Time is weird" is quote of the year.

I have no resolutions. Just buy games to play and enjoy them. Which is what I have been doing.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

pierrot wrote:
alienjesus wrote:P.S Is the Mark III compatible with SG1000 games? If not, should I aim for a Mark 2 unit over the original SG1000?

Mark III and Japanese Master System are both backward compatible with SG 1000 game cartridges and cards, although the MS doesn't have the SG-1000 series expansion port that allowed for use of a keyboard for using BASIC, etc, software. The SG-1000 and SG-1000 II both require a Sega My Card reader cartridge in order to play the card based SG-1000 games, which are more numerous than the card based games for the Master System. The Mark III has the card reader slot built in.

Thanks, this info is super useful.

Sounds like Mark 3 is the way to go to me?

Exhuminator wrote:
Not a huge fan of all the chibi fighting games on NGP though. I mean, yeah, they're cute, but they're just watered down versions of bigger better things if I'm being honest. However I understand for their time of release that was still a fun thing to have.

I don't care for most of them, but Gals Fighters might be the systems killer app imo - it's so fast paced and chaotic that it feels unlike pretty much any home console Neo Geo fighter I can think of. It reminds me more of Smash, even though it plays like a traditional 2D fighter.
Ack

Post by Ack »

What, no love for the weird Metal Slugs that made it to the NGPC? I also absolutely adored Pocket Tennis Color.

Also, for those of you who enjoy a fun little RPG-esque romp, Dark Arms is at least worth looking into. I liked it when I played it.

And what about puzzle games? Bust-a-Move Pocket, Puzzle Link, Puzzle Link 2, Make Trax, Puyo Pop, Magical Drop Pocket, Shanghai Mini... That's some good stuff right there.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Ack wrote:What, no love for the weird Metal Slugs that made it to the NGPC? I also absolutely adored Pocket Tennis Color.

Also, for those of you who enjoy a fun little RPG-esque romp, Dark Arms is at least worth looking into. I liked it when I played it.

And what about puzzle games? Bust-a-Move Pocket, Puzzle Link, Puzzle Link 2, Make Trax, Puyo Pop, Magical Drop Pocket, Shanghai Mini... That's some good stuff right there.

Dark Arms frustrates me, but it's a good game. I also LOVE the tennis game. I have the first of the two Metal Slug games for NGPC, but I haven't played the second one.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Xeogred wrote:I've actually been wondering if I should start to focus on one system's backlog per year now (since I'm getting older and time is weird). Not sure if that would burn me out though, but maybe it'd be awesome and I'd really get things done? I guess the two biggest backlogs I have are the PSX and PS2. Maybe a bit daunting since it's a lot of JRPG's. I won't beat myself up though if I don't finish them. Just need some kind of kick to get started or an idea haha.

I think that this is a good goal, and I started something like it with my 3DS digital library this year. If you exclude RPGs from your resolution, you should be able to get through a library fairly quickly, and you should be playing a wide variety of genres to keep the project interesting. Accordingly, I propose a resolution like:

"Play through every non-RPG in my PSX/PS2 library."
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

noiseredux wrote:I have no resolutions. Just buy games to play and enjoy them. Which is what I have been doing.

I failed at my one this year of beating every game you beat.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

More power to those of you that can do that....I'm definitely couldn't do that with my current status of my systems right now. Especially not until I finishing the casing resolution, and apparently find someone to resurface a few like teen titans for ngc that never worked since I got it. I used to go to cd warehouse and my dad would get them to do it for his stuff but they've since closed every location and manifest isn't worth the drive if they even still do it. That and blockbuster shields.....why the heck aren't these things falling off somehow now? They look so stupid...

Definitely hope to really pick back up on my goals though once exam week, and the shot is over friday and try to finish this year somewhat stronger than I have so far...
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I didn't do any of these last year, but I thought I'd review progress from past years first.

2015:

1)Playing: I plan to do the alphabetical challenge....but not all at once. I want to do A-Z from 1979 (the year I was born) to 2004 (the last year before 7th Gen) over the course of the year.

2)Playing: I want to make a concerted effort to beat more games on Nintendo platforms. When I look back at my "Games Beaten" lists only a tad over 10% of all games in the past 5 years have been on a Nintendo platform, and more than half of those were on a handheld. I need some more quality Nintendo console time, and would like to finish at least 20 games on a Nintendo platform this year.

3)Organizing: I want to figure out some storage solutions for my games that clears out the clutter of my media room. I don't think I want to part with many of the games I have (though I have considered this) but having them all easily accessible at all times is just taking up a lot of room. I think I will merge this goal with creating a spreadsheet of what games I have for each platform that also includes, perhaps, a location where they are stored.

4)Collecting: I'd like to start looking for boxes for the systems that I own that are missing them. Especially given #3, I think it would be a good idea to store boxed systems with their games.

5)Writing: I'd like to have four articles about video games published - with at least one of them going to an academic outlet. I have one of these in the pipeline (and am not counting my book), so this leaves me with three more to get cracking on...

I think I've (by now) accomplished about 2/5 of these.

2014:
finally give up retrogaming, sell collection, focus on PS4 and XBone

I think that I've accomplished 0/3 here. Thank goodness. I guess I didn't want any serious goals this year...

2013:

Playing:
1. Shoot for a closer to 50/50 ratio for retro/current gen games beaten
2. Grab the top spot on the leaderboard for one month of SOTM
3. Play co-op through a game from start to finish with my preschooler
4. Beat a Virtua Boy game (without losing vision)

Collecting:
1. Finish a complete Atari 7800 collection.
2. Explore the world of Mega Drive imports a little, picking up some solid Japanese exclusives.
3. Do a long-overdue collection update on RFGen and then keep it current month to month.

I think I have by now accomplished 5/8 of these. I stopped updating RFG long ago and can't see going back...

2012:

Gaming Goals:
-I want to 1cc a well-respected shmup
-I want to delve into both classic JRPGs and classic WRPGs even further than I did last year
-I want to find a point and click adventure game that I actually enjoy
-I want to play considerably more PC games (or cross platform games on PC) than I did last year
-I want to spend less time gaming and more time writing about gaming in a meaningful/thought-provoking way (and for a broader audience)

Collecting Goals
-I want to set a clear goal by the end of January for a "major thing" to collect for the year (I know this is a cop out, but I need more time to think it over!)
-I want to round out my PSP and Wii collection when these consoles start getting phased out (already have a good start on this :))
-I want to pick up the vast majority of the remaining Atari 2600/7800/Jaguar games that I have interest in owning.

I went 6/7 that year and have since ticked off the one lingering one, so 7/7 now! w00t!

2011:

play more RPGs
play more classic Nintendo franchises
play more PC games

collect pinball games
collect more shmups
finish up majority of PS1 and PS2 collection
pick up more launch games/end games

I went 4/7 for the year, but since made up ground on two others, so I think I can call it 6/7 by now.

That leaves me at 20/27 for "serious" goals since 2011. What remains that I'd like to hold on to are these, though I don't know that I want systematically to attack any of them in 2016:

-play more games in Nintendo franchises and on Nintendo systems
-grab a top spot on a leaderboard for shmup of the month
-finish the alphabetical challenge (I got up to "N" in 1992)

I'd say that the rest of the missed goals are fairly irrelevant now for various reasons.

-----
So, all that aside, here's what I think I'd like to set up as goals for 2016. As a fun addition, I have also given myself an "out" for each one.

Organizing: Continue to significantly reduce my physical game collection to reduce its footprint in my home. I pared down a good 1/3 or so of it this year and could probably do about the same next year. I have gone digital as much as I think I can, and will continue to do so.
Get out of this if: I move to a home with a killer basement or similar space that can become a den of games, movies, music, etc.

Writing: Write 3-4 lengthier articles around something to do with games. At least one of these should be targeted to an academic audience, and one should be geared towards a more general readership.
Get out of this if: I put together and send out a proposal for a new book that has something to do with games

Playing: Play through at least ten highly regarded games that are exclusive to PCs and that are new to me These can be new or old, but must be something that is universally well reviewed and praised.
Get out of this if: I take up a PC MMO or MOBA and sink at least 100 hours into it.

Playing: I own full sets of 32X, 7800, and PS1 Longbox games. I need to play these more. My goal is to play 10% of each of each of these three libraries this year - I want to play these games for either long enough to beat them or at least long enough to write a meaningful post about my experience.
Get out of this if: I play through 4 games each on the Intellivision, ColecoVision, Tandy Coco2, and Odyssey 2

Collecting: Since I am trying to reduce my physical gaming footprint, I don't have much here that I want to do. However, I think it'd be sweet to grab a few really nice/high-end or custom controllers and other accessories. Some nice headphones. An expensive cross-platoform racing wheel. An Xbox One Elite controller. Some SNES or NES bluetooth controllers. That kind of thing.
Get out of this if: I build a better MAME machine for my arcade cabinet and spruce the whole thing up.

Community: Start at least two threads a month that are specifically about retro games, interesting and engaging, and that try and capture some of what many folks feel has been "lost" about the culture of discussion on Racketboy. I've been here a long time and contributed a lot, but I think I can do a better job of expanding the forum content in productive directions instead of just burrowing down into long-running threads and leaving fly by snark!
Get out of this if: I contribute to or create some kind of meaningful new addition to the site outside of the forums.