2017 Gaming goals and resolutions

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
darsparx
Next-Gen

Re: 2017 Gaming goals and resolutions

Post by darsparx »

darsparx wrote:4.) Try to get closer to a setup where I have things like the retrode and some form of memory card reader so I can easily play what game I'm working working on on the go. Yes I hate emulation since I prefer my crt for these older games but push come to shove and I'll take them on the go so I can work on them during breaks at school. Especially since I doubt during the second half I'm going to have the crt with me on campus when I move up....would be nice but doubtful....

Decided to add a number four. There has to be a decent way to do this especially with memory cards. Especially if it means a retrode setup with a custom addon for that, that reads the memory cards(that would be awesome if it was possible).
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

dsheinem wrote:Community: Start at least two threads a month that are specifically about retro games, interesting and engaging, and that try and capture some of what many folks feel has been "lost" about the culture of discussion on Racketboy.

This should be a goal for every forum member next year. Make Racketboy great again!

--

I'm still ruminating on what my goals will be. I know what one of them will be though:

Play through Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together on PSP

I'd like to start it before 2017, but with only December left, I just won't have time to complete such a massive game:

I would want to do the "main plus extra", you see. And there's too much real life stuff to deal with in December for that. I don't want to start a game in 2016 and have it carry into 2017. Because closure? Call it closure.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

If I get done with phantasia and whatever other games I'm going to attempt between now and then I might join you. I have that one and haven't attempted it yet. Plus with school that would be a good take on the go game for me anyways. I just need to get a few palette(I hope that's the right word another word I don't use often :roll: ) cleansers in before I attempt another rpg at this point.
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

darsparx wrote:I just need to get a few palette cleansers in before I attempt another rpg at this point.

I find that 8 and 16-bit shmups and platformers work very well for this.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I haven't had closure in years. In a way, I'm at peace with that... which I suppose brings some sense of closure. :lol:

Exhuminator is right, shmups and platformers, especially the 8-bit/16-bit variety, are excellent for cleansing the palate. Strangely, though, I don't turn to shmups for that as often. I just stress a lot more with them than I do platformers, even if they're ridiculously hard ones. :P
Last edited by Sarge on Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Sarge wrote:I haven't had closure in years. In a way, I'm at peace with that... which I suppose brings some sense of closure. :lol:

This is how I am with my backlog library.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

Exhuminator wrote:
darsparx wrote:I just need to get a few palette cleansers in before I attempt another rpg at this point.

I find that 8 and 16-bit shmups and platformers work very well for this.

If I could figure out what I own fits that bill I'd put it in there. RIght now it's looking like "Sin and Punishment Star Sucessor" is going to be that cleanser for me. A shmup sounds better at this point though so maybe metal slug anthology(even though it's a run and gun but ehh)...
My gameroom

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Star Successor is more of a ball buster than a pallet cleanser for me. That game kicked my ass once I got about halfway through.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Star Successor is more of a ball buster than a pallet cleanser for me. That game kicked my ass once I got about halfway through.

Really? Doesn't seem like a game that'd be that hard or long to do...
My gameroom

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

darsparx wrote:RIght now it's looking like "Sin and Punishment Star Sucessor" is going to be that cleanser for me.

I'm not even a huge rail shooter fan, but Star Successor blew my pants off. Like I didn't wear pants for a week after that masterpiece. I was obsessed from start to finish with it and beat it in one play session. I regret beating it that quickly, should have savored it a bit longer. But anyway, it's my all time favorite Wii game! If you enjoy a challenge and killer bosses you're in for a good time.

As far as difficulty goes, it has Easy, Normal, and Hard modes. I beat it on Normal. Someday I want to try Hard mode.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.